Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hey Bellmont - Whats with the schedule?

Guest DT

21 minutes ago, DT said:

It looks like a case of lazy, convenient scheduling to me.  As a matter of principle, i do not think it is appropriate for a 4A school to schedule down to the 1A level, while competing in a 6 class system.  It just defeats the purpose of having a class system in the first place.

Classes exist for post-season. It has not relevance for the regular season. Schedule who you want to play to provide your student athletes the best opportunity to participate and compete.

• Like 1

Our program has had some challenges scheduling our out of conference opponents. The reality is there are not many options available. Consider also that transportation budgets are very tight for a number of schools, so scheduling competition close to home can help ease some of that strain. 

• Like 1

Since 2008 it is true Bellmont has not won a state title, but they had a nice run between 2011-2015. Two sectional championships, a co-conference championship (NE8), and big wins vs 6A Homestead, 4A East Noble, 4A New Haven, Concordia and Bishop Luers (All Ranked Teams) during that five year span. Not too shabby!

Edited by cw13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bartrum Trail said:

dt  

Please share with us which AD's have taken note and acted appropriately  on your thoughts.

Over my 17 years of posting here on The GID, I have NO DOUBT that I have influenced, ADs, admins, Coaches, assistants, parents, fans, players, media, you name it.

I am the all time world wide leader in page views on The GID.  You cant help but be an influencer when you have that kind of outreach.

9 minutes ago, cw13 said:

Since 2008 it is true Bellmont has not won a state title, but they had a nice run between 2011-2015. Two sectional championships, a co-conference championship (NE8), and big wins vs 6A Homestead, 4A East Noble, 4A New Haven, Concordia and Bishop Luers (All Ranked Teams) during that five year span. Not too shabby!

Its really just a question of scheduling philosophy.  Maybe the gate for the Adams County games is significantly higher than any 5A or 6A foe Bellmont might bring in to open the season.  

4A Hobart opens the season against 6A schools Chesterton and Merrillville.

4A Lowell opens against 6A Crown Point and 6A Portage.

Hobart and Lowell consider themselves to be state championship contenders.  I doubt that Bellmont shares that same aspiration.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Coming from a small school, I loved playing the big schools.  Sure, in football we would have gotten smashed, but back in jamboree days, my Rebels would go up against Kankakee Valley and Rensselaer. 

My last year coaching at KV (4A), we played SN (1A).  Both schools had an "odd" schedule gap that year in week 6.  We were winning 28-0 at half.  We were controlling all aspects of the game.  We went into half, made corrections, tried to clean some things up and most importantly, we kept preaching to our kids that SN would keep fighting.  We were LUCKY to hang on for a 35-28 win.  If there would have been a 5th quarter, we would have lost.  At this point, is when I became a HUGE fan of SN.  LOVED their coaches, fans, players, everything.  Absolute class personified.

@CoachDurham

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Over my 17 years of posting here on The GID, I have NO DOUBT that I have influenced, ADs, admins, Coaches, assistants, parents, fans, players, media, you name it.

I am the all time world wide leader in page views on The GID.  You cant help but be an influencer when you have that kind of outreach.

Ill put you up there with the Kardashians as influencers.  

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Its really just a question of scheduling philosophy.  Maybe the gate for the Adams County games is significantly higher than any 5A or 6A foe Bellmont might bring in to open the season.  

Hobart and Lowell consider themselves to be state championship contenders.  I doubt that Bellmont shares that same aspiration.

In your view, then what does that say for those 6A schools playing down TWO classes?  Why don't they go play other 6A programs?

14 hours ago, NE8Fan said:

I’ve been following The Braves closely for a long time.  I thought adding AC would be good for us (2014 or 2015 I believe). We used to beat up on the Starfires but things have changed.   We aren’t that far removed from a State Championship.  I will say that SA and AC could and do currently beat a majority of 2-4A schools.  They are some of the best 1A schools in the state. County rivals is also part of this.  The kids know each other well and enjoy playing each other.  Hope we can turn it around this year.  The talent is in our building.

Do you mean “the talent is in our building ... but not on the team?”

39 minutes ago, DT said:

You go, DT!

image.jpeg.b295a833b6a4fb14ba90c18501e5e578.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, DT said:

Influenced?  I doubt it.

Annoyed?  Absolutely.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

50 minutes ago, DT said:

Vanity thy name is...

And to the poster who mentioned South Vermilion in the WRC, they just rejoined the conference a few years ago after about a 20 year stint in the WCC. I can't speak to their success in that conference, but I know they had quite a bit of coaching turnover there for a bit until Barrett took over. Since then they've been really pretty solid; I think two (maybe three) years ago they were co-champions with Fountain Central and played Danville pretty tough in the tournament that year.

41 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

My last year coaching at KV (4A), we played SN (1A).  Both schools had an "odd" schedule gap that year in week 6.  We were winning 28-0 at half.  We were controlling all aspects of the game.  We went into half, made corrections, tried to clean some things up and most importantly, we kept preaching to our kids that SN would keep fighting.  We were LUCKY to hang on for a 35-28 win.  If there would have been a 5th quarter, we would have lost.  At this point, is when I became a HUGE fan of SN.  LOVED their coaches, fans, players, everything.  Absolute class personified.

@CoachDurham

Ill put you up there with the Kardashians as influencers.  

I do remember that game.  Although it was unfortunate SN lost, the fight they showed was great.

1 hour ago, DannEllenwood said:

In your view, then what does that say for those 6A schools playing down TWO classes?  Why don't they go play other 6A programs?

I believe non conference scheduling reflects ones persona, outlook and competitive makeup.

On one end of the spectrum, you have Phil Mason

On the other end, whomever is the AD at Lake Central

Get my point?

1 minute ago, DT said:

I believe non conference scheduling reflects ones persona, outlook and competitive makeup.

On one end of the spectrum, you have Phil Mason

On the other end, whomever is the AD at Lake Central

Get my point?

No. Phil is not the MC AD. 

29 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I do remember that game.  Although it was unfortunate SN lost, the fight they showed was great.

Even as their opponent, how could I not be extremely proud of SNs effort?

12 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

No. Phil is not the MC AD. 

Even as their opponent, how could I not be extremely proud of SNs effort?

Coach Mason has always controlled his schedule, regardless of AD.  For some schools, scheduling is a strategic art and an integral part of program development.  LC used to feel that way when they played Ben Davis.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Like picking low hanging fruit.........

Just do a mirror image:

6A schools Chesterton and Merrillville both scheduled early non-con games against 4A Hobart.

6A schools Crown Point and Portage both scheduled early non-con games against 4A Lowell.

See how that's done?  It instantly defeats your narrrative.

South Adams and Adams Central were ranked 4 & 5 in the final 1A Sagarin ratings.  AC made 2 straight semi-state appearances. Combined in the last 4 seasons Bellmont has been outscored 265 - 111.  Record- 0 - 8.

13 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Just do a mirror image:

6A schools Chesterton and Merrillville both scheduled early non-con games against 4A Hobart.

6A schools Crown Point and Portage both scheduled early non-con games against 4A Lowell.

South Adams and Adams Central were ranked 4 & 5 in the final 1A Sagarin ratings.  AC made 2 straight semi-state appearances. Combined in the last 4 seasons Bellmont has been outscored 265 - 111.  Record- 0 - 8.

Lowell and Hobart are borderline Top 5 Programs in The Region.  Merrillville-Hobart is probably the all time biggest rivalry in the history of NWI football.  

I dont see an apples to apples comparison here.  

52 minutes ago, DT said:

Coach Mason has always controlled his schedule, regardless of AD.  For some schools, scheduling is a strategic art and an integral part of program development.  LC used to feel that way when they played Ben Davis.  

You know that about Phil, how?  I was on his staff for 3 years at Wheeler.

I am well aware of our schedule at LC.  I played BD 3 times.

19 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Just do a mirror image:

Exactly

7 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

You know that about Phil, how?  I was on his staff for 3 years at Wheeler.

I am well aware of our schedule at LC.  I played BD 3 times.

Exactly

Let me ask you Dann

Do you think that Coach Mason has any input or influence on his non conference scheduling?

Do you think he might have had anything to do with the HF matchups recently?

4 hours ago, JustRules said:

Classes exist for post-season. It has not relevance for the regular season. Schedule who you want to play to provide your student athletes the best opportunity to participate and compete.

Nothing wrong with that.  It's always great to see a Goliath slain by a David.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Vanity thy name is...

And to the poster who mentioned South Vermilion in the WRC, they just rejoined the conference a few years ago after about a 20 year stint in the WCC. I can't speak to their success in that conference, but I know they had quite a bit of coaching turnover there for a bit until Barrett took over. Since then they've been really pretty solid; I think two (maybe three) years ago they were co-champions with Fountain Central and played Danville pretty tough in the tournament that year.

South Vermillion struggled in the WIC in football most years. They were competitive in basketball some years. SV was really good in the WIC when they had the Walsh kid at QB. They had a solid class going through the school at that time that contributed to their success. They were pretty solid a few years ago in the WRC. As you said gave Danville a run for their money. Took a bit of a step back last year. I think Barrett turns them around and makes them a consistent winner. Not sure he'll get them to the level he had North Putnam at, but i wouldn't bet against him. Miss playing those guys every year in football. It was a good rivalry.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Let me ask you Dann

Do you think that Coach Mason has any input or influence on his non conference scheduling?

Do you think he might have had anything to do with the HF matchups recently?

Maybe. I’m going off of my 3 years of in person, coaching with Phil. 2003-2006. 
I would also presume the match up worked for both schools and since Buzz (who’s staff I worked on at portage 2006-2007) had coached at MC prior. 

Input, yes. Final say. I would think not. 
When I was at KV, we had a week 6 opening. We discussed (on staff) possibly moving our week 1 opponent Rensselaer to week 6. I talked to a Rensselaer coach off the record and they said they wouldn’t want to. So with that being said, both parties need to be involved. 

In the end, things worked out. Griffith moved out of the conference.