Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Assuming there is a season, what have we heard about...

A family unit shouldn’t have to socially distance.  If Jimmy’s Mom, Dad, and baby sister want to come they shouldn’t have to spread out.  I don’t see there being an issue allowing each athlete 2-4 “family” unit members depending on the size of team/stadium/ etc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

...or we could evaluate why plenty of other states still plan to play sports this fall........Indiana is hardly out on an island.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/qiL5GOXkFkyfJ9jwZ8wb-g/where-the-start-of-high-school-sports-stands-in-all-50-states-amid-pandemic.htm

Not sure that Illinois is recognized as the gold standard for high school sports.....

Illnois is the last state I want to see indiana follow in anything 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

Illnois is the last state I want to see indiana follow in anything 

No, Illinois is the first state you want to follow concerning the virus because of where they are next to us.  Conditions there would be similar to conditions here. 

You wouldnt want to follow what Alaska or Maine are doing.

We WOULD want to look at  what Illinois is doing..

...as an option...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, US31 said:

A family unit shouldn’t have to socially distance.  If Jimmy’s Mom, Dad, and baby sister want to come they shouldn’t have to spread out.  I don’t see there being an issue allowing each athlete 2-4 “family” unit members depending on the size of team/stadium/ etc

Everybody would have to distance or nobody would......You wouldnt know who was who.

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Everybody would have to distance or nobody would......You wouldnt know who was who.

They, the schools/venues, might be able to handle it.  At our church, there's social distancing where every other pew is blocked off.  On the open pews, there are Xs that show separation of six-foot gaps.  Families/people "sign up" for Mass and are seated by an usher.  Families are "grouped" based on their reservation.  I guess, in theory, a two-person family could "bring a friend" or two, but they would be isolated in a "family block" and away from the next "family block."  Similarly, you would probably set it up like some local restaurants have where they will seat no more than six in a social distancing block.  Our family of seven, when everyone goes to dinner, tends to split with the kids at one table and my wife an I at another to adhere to their guidelines.  I would hope that the families and fans would, since this is "about the kids" like everyone keeps saying, do what they are supposed to be doing and what they are asked to do.  If not, then the school/county/district/IHSAA or whomever may not have any options if we can't all be adult about it.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I don’t think the school administration should police it, nor should they feel the need to. Given basic protocols like @foxbathas mentioned- plenty of spacing and ‘X’ sections designating a reasonable distance, that should be sufficient.

Trust adults to make their own choices. For example, our neighbor has served as a PT babysitter and been in and out of our house for the last few months. With two working parents and elementary aged children, it was either allow her in our family ‘bubble’ or find some sort of day camp/ group child care arrangement. So we made a conscious decision and re-evaluate continuously. For example we distanced from her for a time period after out-of-state travel. 

If she comes to our oldest son’s games this fall, she will be most likely sitting with us. We could add her to our family ticket  group and still be less than Foxbat’s family of 7. Lol

No one should be forced to sit with strangers, but at the same time if a group of 5-6 people choose to sit in a row together, I don’t think anyone should feel the need to question our decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I’ve been to MANY places that are designed around the premise of family units that can be together....and spaced from other similar units...

Dentist/Doctors offices, restaurants, Indy Zoo, etc, etc, etc

I think there are a great many, in current practice, mechanisms to handle exactly this.

However, whether or not common sense would prevail is a completely different discussion....

5 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I don’t think the school administration should police it, nor should they feel the need to. Given basic protocols like @foxbathas mentioned- plenty of spacing and ‘X’ sections designating a reasonable distance, that should be sufficient.

Trust adults to make their own choices. For example, our neighbor has served as a PT babysitter and been in and out of our house for the last few months. With two working parents and elementary aged children, it was either allow her in our family ‘bubble’ or find some sort of day camp/ group child care arrangement. So we made a conscious decision and re-evaluate continuously. For example we distanced from her for a time period after out-of-state travel. 

If she comes to our oldest son’s games this fall, she will be most likely sitting with us. We could add her to our family ticket  group and still be less than Foxbat’s family of 7. Lol

No one should be forced to sit with strangers, but at the same time if a group of 5-6 people choose to sit in a row together, I don’t think anyone should feel the need to question our decision.

1 minute ago, US31 said:

I’ve been to MANY places that are designed around the premise of family units that can be together....and spaced from other similar units...

Dentist/Doctors offices, restaurants, Indy Zoo, etc, etc, etc

I think there are a great many, in current practice, mechanisms to handle exactly this.

However, whether or not common sense would prevail is a completely different discussion....

I think families can make their own decision about exposure TO THEMSELVES, but my concern would be the folks who aren't thinking about the other folks that are there to see their kid(s) play.  I think common sense can be the potential problem.  I think you would see folks who believe it is their "God given" and "Constitution given" right to sit anywhere they want at a football game decide that they were going to "take a stance" ... just like you see the folks who show up in restaurants and berate the wait staff or attack cashiers in grocery stores who are asking people entering THEIR store to do something as simple as wear a mask ... and it's not even in public places, but also in places like churches and hospitals where you see this less-than-altruistic behavior.  I would hope that it wouldn't be members of the players' families, but I think we've all been to stadiums in the past where there are those folks who, in non-pandemic times, believe that their ticket gives them the right to do whatever they want ... and some/many of those folks have family members down on the grass.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I think families can make their own decision about exposure TO THEMSELVES, but my concern would be the folks who aren't thinking about the other folks that are there to see their kid(s) play.  I think common sense can be the potential problem.  I think you would see folks who believe it is their "God given" and "Constitution given" right to sit anywhere they want at a football game decide that they were going to "take a stance" ... just like you see the folks who show up in restaurants and berate the wait staff or attack cashiers in grocery stores who are asking people entering THEIR store to do something as simple as wear a mask ... and it's not even in public places, but also in places like churches and hospitals where you see this less-than-altruistic behavior.  I would hope that it wouldn't be members of the players' families, but I think we've all been to stadiums in the past where there are those folks who, in non-pandemic times, believe that their ticket gives them the right to do whatever they want ... and some/many of those folks have family members down on the grass.

Fox. You are the man!

That's a big problem with why the covid is still around.. and why we won't have nice things. 

13 hours ago, foxbat said:

I don’t disagree with your statement. 

My point was directed at ‘Who’ fans sit with at games. I think school/game administration will have their hands full with enforcing ‘where’ and ‘how many’ fans are allowed. They shouldn’t care about who sits with whom. 

Sadly, I can picture which parents of other players could be an issue at games. By my understanding, Aug. 21st is still in the mandatory mask period from the governor, so they can exercise all the rights they want in the parking lot. 

As an aside, we kind of hope family seating at games isn’t a thing. My wife and I don’t sit well together when our kids are playing. But that is a different discussion for another day! Lol

3 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

My point was directed at ‘Who’ fans sit with at games. I think school/game administration will have their hands full with enforcing ‘where’ and ‘how many’ fans are allowed. They shouldn’t care about who sits with whom. 

Sadly, I can picture which parents of other players could be an issue at games. By my understanding, Aug. 21st is still in the mandatory mask period from the governor, so they can exercise all the rights they want in the parking lot. 

As an aside, we kind of hope family seating at games isn’t a thing. My wife and I don’t sit well together when our kids are playing. But that is a different discussion for another day! Lol

Hopefully it's not as bad as the parents that one of my son's touth baseball teammates who were divorced had.  There was actually a decree in the paperwork that spelled out seating at sporting events and, during baseball season, they had to sit in different bleacher groups, so one of them always had to sit in the visitor bleachers to avoid violating the agreement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

My wife and I also disagree on a few things when watching a game.  The appropriate volume level being one of a few LOL.

• Like 1

Man.  What are you all doing, each other in the stands?  Why do you sit by anyone at anytime?  Possibly wives included.  All the people in the stands do is complain about the coaches, players, refs, the price of milk, everything, all while NEVER volunteering to help.

Sit by yourself.  Grab a cold beverage and some popcorn.  Cheer the kids.  You will thank me later.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Maybe the best move would to be allocating parents/step parents/guardians (possibly siblings) for each player a ticket. Guessing they'd make many schools dress only "varsity" listed players as well. I think that could be up to interpretation as does that mean some JV who are on special teams or 2nd/3rd string back ups for some schools. Would there be a certain number of players to be made available for rosters like the NCAA & NFL using active rosters? I think some schools would easily be able to social distance by family in these circumstances. Also should put up temporary fencing behind each goal post area and seat fans there as well as along fences. Maybe put zones near player entrance areas that are 6ft away from nearest fans. Do you allow visiting fans? If so, is it family that have presale tickets from their school?  How would one be able to police this?

Edited by Basementbias

More and more people every day giving in and rooting for Covid to prevail. And don't give me the realism spiel. Have some hope. There WILL be fall football in Indiana. Especially if programs continue to do as told as far as sanitizing, limiting contact/exposure, and social distancing. Decisions will be up to each school and it will be a week to week situation. Basically, each week, how many players are quarantined and can you field a full team? So yes, schools may have to cancel some games due to widespread quarantines, but games will be played. I know it's difficult for people to wrap their minds around the fact that we have opportunities to be resilient and do some normal things despite Covid existing, to whatever degree. I have not heard anything close to official about fan attendance though. I have heard everything from no limit at all to no fans and live streams only. If I had to guess, each stadium will be organized and marked off to where fans can be social distant, both in the bleachers and along the fences. Once the socially distant seating is filled, fans would be turned away, unfortunately. This would leave the options of selling tickets ahead of time or some kind of will-call so that fans would never have to show up to be turned away. Just my thoughts and some stuff I have heard.

Oh, and to the people bringing up rumors about an IHSAA meeting. The last thing they did (recently, not sure exactly when) was discuss protocol and make adjustments to it. For example, they discussed what should be considered an exposure, difference between exposure at practice and an unknown location exposure (like at a non-school gathering), how to avoid it, and what proper quarantine should look like. I would imagine any changes or additions will be announced this week. Also known as, MOVING FORWARD. No discussion on changing dates or moving to spring. The season goes on.

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

More and more people every day giving in and rooting for Covid to prevail. And don't give me the realism spiel. Have some hope. There WILL be fall football in Indiana. Especially if programs continue to do as told as far as sanitizing, limiting contact/exposure, and social distancing. Decisions will be up to each school and it will be a week to week situation. Basically, each week, how many players are quarantined and can you field a full team? So yes, schools may have to cancel some games due to widespread quarantines, but games will be played. I know it's difficult for people to wrap their minds around the fact that we have opportunities to be resilient and do some normal things despite Covid existing, to whatever degree. I have not heard anything close to official about fan attendance though. I have heard everything from no limit at all to no fans and live streams only. If I had to guess, each stadium will be organized and marked off to where fans can be social distant, both in the bleachers and along the fences. Once the socially distant seating is filled, fans would be turned away, unfortunately. This would leave the options of selling tickets ahead of time or some kind of will-call so that fans would never have to show up to be turned away. Just my thoughts and some stuff I have heard.

One of the reasons why I pray everyday.  There's enough negative people in this world.  The prayer warriors will be the ones to build bridges to the broken who have lost their way.  It will not be the ones getting all the notoriety.

The Best is Yet to Come.

#NewProfilePic

Hope you enjoy.

AMEN!

Oh, and to the people bringing up rumors about an IHSAA meeting. The last thing they did (recently, not sure exactly when) was discuss protocol and make adjustments to it. For example, they discussed what should be considered an exposure, difference between exposure at practice and an unknown location exposure (like at a non-school gathering), how to avoid it, and what proper quarantine should look like. I would imagine any changes or additions will be announced this week. Also known as, MOVING FORWARD. No discussion on changing dates or moving to spring. The season goes on.

Yep.  My DIRECT source said the only meetings yesterday were student leadership meetings.

But people like Hookster think I am clueless and others think they are the only ones that know people.  It is all quite comical.

Nadler ate Newman.