Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SAC change

A discussion has begun with the the SAC ADs and football coaches about considering a division based Football conference. The idea: Create  more chances for schools to schedule outside of Fort Wayne to better to prepare them for tournament play or to give other a chance to schedule competition more at their level.  I had along talk with a SAC AD about this at the holiday tournament and here is the idea

Schools will play two open dates, the four in their league as, plus two schools from the other league. On school will be a "locked" opponent (BD and BL ex.) and one will rotate every two years. On the last week of the regular season. You will play whomever is the the at them same place from the other division. (First vs First, Last vs Last ) With home field or neutral location to be discussed  

Big School 

Snider, Northrop, Carroll, Homestead, BD

Small School

North, South, Wayne, Concordia, BL 

Sample schedule: 2020 for Big Schools 

Snider                                         Northrop                       Carroll                              BD                                Homestead 

Open                                           Open                                  Open                           Open                               Open

Open                                          Open                                    Open                          Open                              Open 

Carroll                                          BD                                      Snider                        Northrop                    North- Rotation

Homestead                                Carroll                              Northrop                     South -Rotation         Snider       

BD                                                 Homestead                    BL- Rotation               Snider                         Northrop

North- Locked                           Concordia- Locked                    BD                     Carroll                         Wayne - Locked 

Wayne- Rotation                      BL - Rotation                South- Locked             Homestead                          BD 

Northrop                                      Snider                              Homestead              BL-Locked                     Carroll 

SAC Playoff                                SAC Playoff                     SAC Playoff             SAC Playoff                   SAC Playoff

Personally, I love it, I do think you would miss some of the more traditional every year games. But  I do think it gives school such as South, North and Northrop to put Ws on the board, which can make those programs better. What do the Members of the GD think?  

1 hour ago, jakone said:

Who will Luers play that will "better" help them prepare for 3a or 2a tournament?

Pretty sure that benefit only applies to the larger schools.  Luers & Concordia certainly don't need non-conference games to "better" prepare them for the 3A tourney.

If this happens, I'd love to see a home/home between Concordia and Indy Lutheran.  It's time.

51 minutes ago, TRCJunkie said:

The TRC does something very similar to this. Obviously on a much smaller scale but I believe it has worked out well thus far.  The end of the year 1v1 or 2v2 is quite exciting as well. 

The TRC did it for 2 years. Starting this fall we are going to play 8 conference games with 1 non-conference and then the team not on the schedule will rotate each year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jakone said:

Who will Luers play that will "better" help them prepare for 3a or 2a tournament?

Nobody this is pie in the sky. This only benefit one school. The same people who wanted to drop south and north side out of the SAC a few years ago. Maybe Snider should leave the SAC and become like Cathedral (independent) and that will help them be ready for late postseason play. One of the perks for Homestead and Carroll to join the SAC was a set schedule no need to go find two games a year. 

FWCS can't afford bus service for kids with in 2 miles of their school. How they going to bus  South Side to go play in South Bend or southern Indiana.

So we schedule all over to play better school to get better, and the truth is we all play each other in sectionals. Only one school move on in each class. So again how does it benefit?

People need to keep in mind this is high school not college. 

8 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

Nobody this is pie in the sky. This only benefit one school. The same people who wanted to drop south and north side out of the SAC a few years ago. Maybe Snider should leave the SAC and become like Cathedral (independent) and that will help them be ready for late postseason play. One of the perks for Homestead and Carroll to join the SAC was a set schedule no need to go find two games a year. 

FWCS can't afford bus service for kids with in 2 miles of their school. How they going to bus  South Side to go play in South Bend or southern Indiana.

So we schedule all over to play better school to get better, and the truth is we all play each other in sectionals. Only one school move on in each class. So again how does it benefit?

People need to keep in mind this is high school not college. 

One option for North, South, Wayne and Concordia is to play each other twice a year.  This will fill 6 dates on the schedule for each school  and significantly reduce unwanted travel.  The schools who want to play out of area can pursue those opportunities, while those who want to remain close to home can do so

On 2/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, SAC_Insider said:

A discussion has begun with the the SAC ADs and football coaches about considering a division based Football conference. The idea: Create  more chances for schools to schedule outside of Fort Wayne to better to prepare them for tournament play or to give other a chance to schedule competition more at their level.  I had along talk with a SAC AD about this at the holiday tournament and here is the idea

Schools will play two open dates, the four in their league as, plus two schools from the other league. On school will be a "locked" opponent (BD and BL ex.) and one will rotate every two years. On the last week of the regular season. You will play whomever is the the at them same place from the other division. (First vs First, Last vs Last ) With home field or neutral location to be discussed  

Big School 

Snider, Northrop, Carroll, Homestead, BD

Small School

North, South, Wayne, Concordia, BL 

Sample schedule: 2020 for Big Schools 

Snider                                         Northrop                       Carroll                              BD                                Homestead 

Open                                           Open                                  Open                           Open                               Open

Open                                          Open                                    Open                          Open                              Open 

Carroll                                          BD                                      Snider                        Northrop                    North- Rotation

Homestead                                Carroll                              Northrop                     South -Rotation         Snider       

BD                                                 Homestead                    BL- Rotation               Snider                         Northrop

North- Locked                           Concordia- Locked                    BD                     Carroll                         Wayne - Locked 

Wayne- Rotation                      BL - Rotation                South- Locked             Homestead                          BD 

Northrop                                      Snider                              Homestead              BL-Locked                     Carroll 

SAC Playoff                                SAC Playoff                     SAC Playoff             SAC Playoff                   SAC Playoff

Personally, I love it, I do think you would miss some of the more traditional every year games. But  I do think it gives school such as South, North and Northrop to put Ws on the board, which can make those programs better. What do the Members of the GD think?  

I had this idea 2-3 years ago. 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, jakone said:

West Lafayette, Columbus Hartley, Toledo Whitmer, Coldwater OH, Chatard? It won't be hard to find an opponent that will "better" them.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:03 PM, Mebuck said:

It will not matter... Snider, Northrop and North Side will not get out of the sectional for the next two years. Just saying 😉

No doubt Snider and Dwenger are on a collision course this year................probably twice. 5a will have it's hands full with the winner of this game. Both programs looking good going into this season..

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, DT said:

It's about time

Agree, 100%

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, Mebuck said:

Maybe Snider should leave the SAC and become like Cathedral (independent) and that will help them be ready for late postseason play.

Wouldn't hurt the feelings of most fans affiliated with Snider. In fact, it would probably increase attendance. If Snider played Penn.................. only Dwenger, Carroll, or Homestead would match the attendance that the Kingsman would bring. Maybe Luers if they were having an "up" year. More Snider fans will travel to Penn than attend a game against South Side. More interesting matchups will bring higher attendance. South fans will probably show up to see their team be competitive against Belmont versus coming out to watch them get squashed by Snider or Dwenger. Let's face it, attendance has been DEAD in recent seasons. It's time to mix things up and try something different.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

Attendance is down because you can watch for free from the comfort of your home. My own brother stays home now to watch.

I watch all the other games on Saturday but go to the BD Games.

Attendance is down because parents are less involved in their kids lives than they used to be.  By choice.  

On 3/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, BTF said:

West Lafayette, Columbus Hartley, Toledo Whitmer, Coldwater OH, Chatard? It won't be hard to find an opponent that will "better" them.

No doubt Snider and Dwenger are on a collision course this year................probably twice. 5a will have it's hands full with the winner of this game. Both programs looking good going into this season..

Agree, 100%

Wouldn't hurt the feelings of most fans affiliated with Snider. In fact, it would probably increase attendance. If Snider played Penn.................. only Dwenger, Carroll, or Homestead would match the attendance that the Kingsman would bring. Maybe Luers if they were having an "up" year. More Snider fans will travel to Penn than attend a game against South Side. More interesting matchups will bring higher attendance. South fans will probably show up to see their team be competitive against Belmont versus coming out to watch them get squashed by Snider or Dwenger. Let's face it, attendance has been DEAD in recent seasons. It's time to mix things up and try something different.

I just don't know if Snider could pull off the "independent" status, year after year, etc. As they are one of the best programs in the state, I question if it is sustainable.. Could they schedule a few SAC teams (Dwenger, Homestead, Carroll, maybe Luers every year) then do a indy  area team or two, Penn and then fill out with a team or two from MI and/or OH. I would expect travel would kill, need booster support, is that allowed??

Edited by psaboy

10 hours ago, psaboy said:

I just don't know if Snider could pull off the "independent" status, year after year, etc. As they are one of the best programs in the state, I question if it is sustainable.. Could they schedule a few SAC teams (Dwenger, Homestead, Carroll, maybe Luers every year) then do a indy  area team or two, Penn and then fill out with a team or two from MI and/or OH. I would expect travel would kill, need booster support, is that allowed??

Although it would be interesting, personally, I love the idea of Snider in the SAC under the new format. There is no denying the fact that all schools in the SAC would be better served by scheduling outside competition. Who wouldn't want to attend the following games?

Snider vs Penn

Dwenger vs Cathedral

Homestead vs Carmel (this series has been very one sided with lopsided scores, but I still maintain that the Spartans would have given Carmel a run for their money in 2017)

-these are the kind of games Homestead needs to schedule if they are ever going to be relevant in 6a.

Carroll vs Warsaw (given that the Tigers continue their uptrend)

Luers vs Coldwater, OH - (I love this potential match-up)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DT said:

Attendance is down because parents are less involved in their kids lives than they used to be.  By choice.  

I feel like the biggest attendance drop is the casual fan. I can't speak for other communities like The Region, but it seems to me that the same number of parents attend their son's football game present day as they did 20-30 years ago. I have no stats to back this up, just observance. It's the casual fan that is missing. This season could be a good case in point when Snider plays Dwenger. Both teams are supposed to be state championship caliber and will probably meet around week seven as undefeated teams. Ten to fifteen years ago, this game would have drawn 8,000 fans. This year I would expect about 5,000-6,000. That's a difference of about 2000 people who have either lost interest in the game, or who would just rather watch it on the internet.

12 hours ago, BTF said:

I feel like the biggest attendance drop is the casual fan. I can't speak for other communities like The Region, but it seems to me that the same number of parents attend their son's football game present day as they did 20-30 years ago. I have no stats to back this up, just observance. It's the casual fan that is missing. This season could be a good case in point when Snider plays Dwenger. Both teams are supposed to be state championship caliber and will probably meet around week seven as undefeated teams. Ten to fifteen years ago, this game would have drawn 8,000 fans. This year I would expect about 5,000-6,000. That's a difference of about 2000 people who have either lost interest in the game, or who would just rather watch it on the internet.

I do think things have changed as well. I think the younger people (30 and below) are not as interested in attending, let alone follow/support sports in general. There are just more things to do these days it seems and different avenues to either watch or get information. In my day, early/mid 80's it was cool to go to game and socialize, don't think that is the case these days.