Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Locker Rooms?

Yuccaguy

Question

I wonder if we get locker room facilities and/or showers this year?

Are we supposed to show up dressed for the game?  

What about the 1.5 hour pregame arrival time to inspect the field/meet with coaches...etc?

Patiently waiting for guidance for an aspect of game night that has yet to be addressed.

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

There are several documents trickling down through association football chairs. One of them addresses administrative issues for officials, and contains the following:

“Host school will provide adequate dressing facilities for officials to include lockers, showers, and adequate space to observe social distancing.”

I laughed when I read the email, and it’s still funny. I don’t think most people understand some of cramped, $hitholes we are expected to use.

2 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I wonder if we get locker room facilities and/or showers this year?

Are we supposed to show up dressed for the game?  

What about the 1.5 hour pregame arrival time to inspect the field/meet with coaches...etc?

Patiently waiting for guidance for an aspect of game night that has yet to be addressed.

There are several documents trickling down through association football chairs. One of them addresses administrative issues for officials, and contains the following:

“Host school will provide adequate dressing facilities for officials to include lockers, showers, and adequate space to observe social distancing.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I get the "suggestions" that have been provided by the higher ups.  But the practical application of them is about as clear as  "mud".  

As said earlier, there are a number of facilities in which you "get up close and personal" with the crew within the facilities provided.  Am I to believe that all institutions will provide an alternative facility that works within the guidelines suggested?  I don't think so.   I would believe that it will be business as usual when it comes to official's facilities provided. 

Just my 2 cents.  (Put this on my debit card...can't get any change these days it seems also)

32 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I get the "suggestions" that have been provided by the higher ups.  But the practical application of them is about as clear as  "mud".  

As said earlier, there are a number of facilities in which you "get up close and personal" with the crew within the facilities provided.  Am I to believe that all institutions will provide an alternative facility that works within the guidelines suggested?  I don't think so.   I would believe that it will be business as usual when it comes to official's facilities provided. 

Just my 2 cents.  (Put this on my debit card...can't get any change these days it seems also)

If they can't provide you with a social distancing option that's acceptable then I would suggest arriving dressed. There aren't many HS locker room I've been in where we couldn't spread out sufficiently.

6 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I laughed when I read the email, and it’s still funny. I don’t think most people understand some of cramped, $hitholes we are expected to use.

5 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

4 hours ago, JustRules said:

If they can't provide you with a social distancing option that's acceptable then I would suggest arriving dressed. There aren't many HS locker room I've been in where we couldn't spread out sufficiently.

As with other facility issues, first, communicate with the AD in the week before your game, and discuss the facilities that are available. If you arrive at a game site and are faced with inadequate facilities, you have the right to refuse to work under those conditions. Or, if you are dissatisfied with the arrangements to be provided, as Just Rules said, come dressed. Whether you choose to work or not, you should inform the IHSAA if it is an unsafe facility.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 3:56 AM, Bobref said:

As with other facility issues, first, communicate with the AD in the week before your game, and discuss the facilities that are available. If you arrive at a game site and are faced with inadequate facilities, you have the right to refuse to work under those conditions. Or, if you are dissatisfied with the arrangements to be provided, as Just Rules said, come dressed. Whether you choose to work or not, you should inform the IHSAA if it is an unsafe facility.

Out of curiosity, how many of the 9 weeks will a crew work a game at a "new" facility?  In other words, when they look at their yearly schedule, how many are fields that they have referred at in a prior year?

I have a friend who worked Friday nights in the past, and I think he said maybe 2 weeks a year would they travel several hours away, to try to advance for tournament purposes.  I wasn't sure how common that was.

I would think this year of all years, I would be extremely nervous to work with a new AD/School. 

12 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Out of curiosity, how many of the 9 weeks will a crew work a game at a "new" facility?  In other words, when they look at their yearly schedule, how many are fields that they have referred at in a prior year?

I have a friend who worked Friday nights in the past, and I think he said maybe 2 weeks a year would they travel several hours away, to try to advance for tournament purposes.  I wasn't sure how common that was.

I would think this year of all years, I would be extremely nervous to work with a new AD/School. 

We don't do that very often. I have heard of crews who take that approach, but I don't feel it's very effective. You don't get to know ADs and coaches and get multiple votes because you have worked a lot of different schools over the years. The staff of the school where you worked one time 5 years prior may not even be there any longer. And they are much less likely to remember if you if you only worked there once.

The crews who often advance are those who work other sports or coach other sports or played college sports in Indiana with a lot of people who are not athletics directors or coaches and it usually takes a combination of all those things. The crews who commonly advance far because of a broader vote number are getting 80-100 votes or more while most crews only get 20-30. You don't get 80-100 votes because you mix up your schedule every year.

As for working with a new AD/school, I personally wouldn't worry about it any more this year than any other year. If it was a new school to us I would be more thorough in my discussion about our locker room situation, assistance to and from the field, assistance with our individual water situations, their plans for ball boy management. I expect most will be fine and if they aren't I would address it with them before we ever set foot on the school grounds. Most do a pretty good job, and I expect they will continue to do a good job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New lockers at New Haven, I am guessing. The new gym is much closer to the stadium too, so a shorter walk. Thinking the previous LONG walk had to do with some of the flags we saw. 🤣🤣 I kid, I kid. Good luck to you guys this season, it will at least be an interesting one. 

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

New lockers at New Haven, I am guessing. The new gym is much closer to the stadium too, so a shorter walk. Thinking the previous LONG walk had to do with some of the flags we saw. 🤣🤣 I kid, I kid. Good luck to you guys this season, it will at least be an interesting one. 

The walk at Kinghtstown the first fall after my hip replacement was among the worst I ever endured. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 7:57 PM, Bobref said:

Bobref - is it then up to the crew chief to insist on these accommodations?  As you know, many schools in "the region" have new stadiums with very cramped officials dressing rooms. 

Edited by Ref_Dude
updated info