Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 4 of July/1st two Weeks of August Dilemma

As teams get into their final week of conditioning next week an interesting dilemma can become a factor........say during next weeks workouts you have a positive covid case (and it is depending upon which day it happens). Whether you quarantine 7 days/14 days, etc.........you end up possibly losing players/coaches as we head into what used to be called "doubles" or what is now better referred to as mandatory practices. That being said each player needs 10 practices to be official. That can create some interesting scenarios as it relates to who play on game day. It becomes even more of a discussion if large groups have to quarantine and your team roster numbers are already on the low side. Covid cases during the 1st weeks of August (Mandatory Practices) will become even more interesting as now those 10 days of required practices will be crushed up against the actual 1st game. 

17 minutes ago, cw13 said:

As teams get into their final week of conditioning next week an interesting dilemma can become a factor........say during next weeks workouts you have a positive covid case (and it is depending upon which day it happens). Whether you quarantine 7 days/14 days, etc.........you end up possibly losing players/coaches as we head into what used to be called "doubles" or what is now better referred to as mandatory practices. That being said each player needs 10 practices to be official. That can create some interesting scenarios as it relates to who play on game day. It becomes even more of a discussion if large groups have to quarantine and your team roster numbers are already on the low side. Covid cases during the 1st weeks of August (Mandatory Practices) will become even more interesting as now those 10 days of required practices will be crushed up against the actual 1st game. 

Yep, add in that varsity game days cannot count toward those 10 practice days. The scrimmage cannot count either. 

If there is football I expect schedules will be modified week by week. Week 2 a school will cancel their season due to health concerns. Week 4 and 5 4 teams will have to forfeit because they have too many key players out. On Sunday teams who don't have an opponent the following week will pair up to play. They'll play either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday depending on when they can get officials. There could be a similar issue with officials cancelling before the season or losing games throughout the season.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JustRules said:

If there is football I expect schedules will be modified week by week. Week 2 a school will cancel their season due to health concerns. Week 4 and 5 4 teams will have to forfeit because they have too many key players out. On Sunday teams who don't have an opponent the following week will pair up to play. They'll play either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday depending on when they can get officials. There could be a similar issue with officials cancelling before the season or losing games throughout the season.

Have whistle and stripes, will travel. 

There will be the possibility of 16 days available for the athletes to get their 10 mandatory days In before the 1st game.  If an athlete does not participate in the scrimmage,  they may practice in the morning and count it towards their 10 days.

1 hour ago, Julio said:

There will be the possibility of 16 days available for the athletes to get their 10 mandatory days In before the 1st game.  If an athlete does not participate in the scrimmage,  they may practice in the morning and count it towards their 10 days.

Julio, are the scrimmages still on???

Might be a good idea to cancel them and begin with the season.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

The 2 scrimmages my crew and I are officiating are on schedule. 

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Robert attended our local association meeting last night and as of Wednesday evening around 8:00pm all scrimmages and games are on scheduled. That could definitely change though.

15 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Have whistle and stripes, will travel. 

It's very possible we could be mixing and matching crews this year and traveling all over the place. A part of that does sound fun to me for one season.

20 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Robert attended our local association meeting last night and as of Wednesday evening around 8:00pm all scrimmages and games are on scheduled. That could definitely change though.

It's very possible we could be mixing and matching crews this year and traveling all over the place. A part of that does sound fun to me for one season.

I think it would be BEAUTIFUL!  That is why I offered here and my local association.

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

While mixing and matching does sound fun. It also sounds scary. There are officials in this state who merely pay their dues and show up to games unprepared. Then there are those have been attending the IFOA webinars, local association meetings, and get into the rule book on a daily basis. Be careful who you choose to work with.

I recall a few years ago, I worked a Saturday make up rain out game from Friday night at the local HS. Showed up 1.5 hrs prior to the game as did 3 other guys I hadn't worked with, perfect... we had a pregame amongst ourselves, discussed keys, positions and plays. Then 5 mins before kickoff showed up our 5th. He was dressed, in sweatpants and a metal pea-whistle (no disrespect to those who still use pea-whistles). Let's just say I had a lot of explaining to do to the coaches on that evening. Live ball false start penalties. Dead Ball illegal formation penalties. Unfamiliar keys and mechanics. So to coaches and fans reading this... remember it's not always the White hats fault.   

There may be some bye weeks for teams this season due to teams forfeiting or cancelling their season. But for the most part, I think we have games on August 21st and the weekly season is played in full. It's almost a given that cases will pop up throughout the season. I think as long as teams handle each case quickly and appropriately, the season will not be in jeopardy. This also may be the hopefulness in me talking...

Question:

Kid starts and plays the whole game on Friday night. Saturday he exhibits symptoms and tests positive for the virus. What do you do? What do you do if you’re the opposing team? Describe the quarantine procedure. 

31 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Question:

Kid starts and plays the whole game on Friday night. Saturday he exhibits symptoms and tests positive for the virus. What do you do? What do you do if you’re the opposing team? Describe the quarantine procedure. 

According to Dr. McCormick,....."consult your county health board." If teams are in 2 county's consult both groups.

I have been wondering the same thing.  What is the procedure!  We have procedures for everything...but I feel no one wants to step up and say anything...what a time to give total control to each school district.  A pandemic..but yet we have strict procedures for a normal summer when the biggest fear we have is that our arch rival is scheduling to many 7 on 7 events..ugh..

5 minutes ago, sls said:

According to Dr. McCormick,....."consult your county health board." If teams are in 2 county's consult both groups.

That, of course, leaves open the possibility (or virtual certainty) of inconsistent treatment from county to county, team to team, etc. Going to be interesting. 

Edited by Bobref

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

That, of course, leaves open the possibility (or virtual certainty) of inconsistent treatment from county to county, team to team, etc. Going to be interesting. 

Also bring in the aspect of officiating. If the officiating crew is told they also need to quarantine for 14 days because the school's, county's, local health official's policy is to mandate quarantine for those who have been in contact with a student who has tested positive. Can the officiating community afford to take 14 days off of their real life job to make $70-$80 on a Friday night. Just thoughts to ponder.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

If an official has to quarantine due to being in the “same game” as a known positive...somebody is doing it wrong.

Could you expound on your conclusion? Say I am the referee. I spend all night with Team A’s QB. Saturday he exhibits symptoms and tests positive. Is it part of the school’s protocol to even notify the officials? What should I do? Am I now obliged to go get tested?

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, Bobref said:

Question:

As a parent, I would check the symptoms and determine the best steps necessary. I would NOT be running out to get my son tested UNLESS the symptoms are severe. Just like I have done numerous times before. 

Unless it is very severe symptoms, why would you get tested?  With what we know now. 

I am sure I will get blasted. That’s fine. Go!

The Best is Yet to Come. LETS GO!

On 7/23/2020 at 2:18 PM, Moshiner1345 said:

Also bring in the aspect of officiating. If the officiating crew is told they also need to quarantine for 14 days because the school's, county's, local health official's policy is to mandate quarantine for those who have been in contact with a student who has tested positive. Can the officiating community afford to take 14 days off of their real life job to make $70-$80 on a Friday night. Just thoughts to ponder.  

But masks work......so.........

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

If an official has to quarantine due to being in the “same game” as a known positive...somebody is doing it wrong.

Thank you!  

53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Could you expound on your conclusion? Say I am the referee. I spend all night with Team A’s QB. Saturday he exhibits symptoms and tests positive. Is it part of the school’s protocol to even notify the officials? What should I do? Am I now obliged to go get tested?

You hangin on his back or something?  😂 

What should you do?  Nothing. Masks work remember. 

Now. If you are like me, who is not a fan of masks, and you are notified by the school, monitor your symptoms. If severe. Get tested. If not, live your life Bob.  

30 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So does body armor. But you don’t see people volunteering to get shot.

😂 Bob. You are better than that. You know EXACTLY what is happening here. 
The Best is Yet to Come!

32 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So does body armor. But you don’t see people volunteering to get shot.

All those years as an official, and you volunteered?  Standing ovation from me!