Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Your Teams 2020 Breakout Players ( ie. DEAR GOD NO COVID TALK PLEASE)

Who are the guy that you think will be breakout players for your team this year?

For Pioneer, I expect junior Brock Robinson to be a 2-way stand out at DB as well as at running back. He will be competing for touches with the Lewellen boys, but is very good with the ball in his hands. Pioneer will also be starting freshman Cayden Hill at QB and potentially at DB as well. He has some maturing to do mentally, but should be able to help out more and more as the season progresses.

Edited by FarmerFran
typo
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

Who are the guy that you think will be breakout players for your team this year?

For Pioneer, I expect junior Brock Robinson to be a 2-way stand out at DB as well as at running back. He will be competing for touches with the Lewellen boys, but is very good with the ball in his hands. Pioneer will also be starting freshman Cayden Hill at QB and potentially at DB as well. He has some maturing to do mentally, but should be able to help out more and more as the season progresses.

It should be an interesting year in the HNAC. Knox has the edge entering the season, but wouldn't sleep on Laville giving them a run for their money. As always, you can't count out Pioneer either. Laville's watch - Doyle, Dill, E. Bettcher, AJ Bedock & G. Wagoner. 

Lewellen won’t get the nod at QB?  Are you kidding me?  That has been Pioneers most productive position for years and their going to groom a freshman.  I’m not buying it.  Or it will last less than last year test of a new QB.  Having Lewellen as QB just gives them a threat and an extra blocker, don’t change something that isn’t broken.

2 minutes ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

Don’t know much about Knox, what do they have returning?

If I'm not mistaken, they return about 95% of their roster. With the add of Radtke and the amount of experience they have coming back, they're looking for a great run. 

LaVille has a lot of 3-4 year players and  experience on this team will benefit them throughout the year.  Should be favorite  in the conference and Andrew Dill should be a breakout player for them.  He should be the featured back and get a huge number of carries.  Czarnecki has really developed into a great safety, plus is a weapon with his leg.   Doyle will be a seasoned QB and OLB and with Bettcher playing a bigger role for them, it should be a big year.

11 minutes ago, footballer_02 said:

If I'm not mistaken, they return about 95% of their roster. With the add of Radtke and the amount of experience they have coming back, they're looking for a great run. 

95% of their roster returns?  Didn’t realize they had that many returning!  It will be interesting what changes Radtke may implement, personal wise.

4 minutes ago, cpg1970 said:

LaVille has a lot of 3-4 year players and  experience on this team will benefit them throughout the year.  Should be favorite  in the conference and Andrew Dill should be a breakout player for them.  He should be the featured back and get a huge number of carries.  Czarnecki has really developed into a great safety, plus is a weapon with his leg.   Doyle will be a seasoned QB and OLB and with Bettcher playing a bigger role for them, it should be a big year.

I'm also anxious to see DeWitt this season. He seems like a hard nosed kid and doesn't shy away from contact. 

3 minutes ago, cpg1970 said:

Laville will always have the same question going into every season, can they beat a “good” team?  They haven’t been able to to in the Hostrawer regime.  Winamac will be better just with the coaching change, so it should be a good year in the conference.

3 minutes ago, SteelCurtain88 said:

Laville will always have the same question going into every season, can they beat a “good” team?  They haven’t been able to to in the Hostrawer regime.  Winamac will be better just with the coaching change, so it should be a good year in the conference.

Have to agree here. Laville seems to crumble in the big games. Coach Hostrawser coaches defense and let's his assistants take over the offense is what I've read on here. Have to wonder if a change is in order for that. Will be a tough year in the conference as the middle tier teams like North Judson and Winamac also return quite a bit on their rosters. 

1 hour ago, cpg1970 said:

No way. Will come down to pioneer or Knox.    Laville hasn't played physical enough to hang with them last few years and won't change this year.

Edited by Mayo77

I don't get to see a these teams play but I will say that the HNAC looks like a pretty good conference to watch this season.  I teach with a guy who was previously at Knox and he said they will have their best team ever this year.  if we end up with a bye week hopefully I can go over and watch some HNAC games.  

18 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

I don't get to see a these teams play but I will say that the HNAC looks like a pretty good conference to watch this season.  I teach with a guy who was previously at Knox and he said they will have their best team ever this year.  if we end up with a bye week hopefully I can go over and watch some HNAC games.  

I think this may be the most competitive year overall in the conference....so here is hoping that we all get through it without interruptions.

Edited by cpg1970

Logan Murfin for Gibson Southern

he finished last year among the other WRs with....

28 receptions (4th on team)

502 yards (3rd on team)

6 touchdowns (3rd on team) 

very solid year but he had 3 very talented Seniors to battle with for targets and was productive in the reps he did get rotating in. Now that they have graduated, he seems primed to take over as one of the top targets.  

We all know about Brady Allen and how good of a QB he is, so with easily 130+ targets becoming vacant.  He is a senior so it’s more/less a later breakout but he had a very productive year last year none the less and should improve greatly upon his performance.

who knows though. Gibson Southern could find themselves throwing a lot more this year with the new schedule. In the game against Southport they passed the ball 30 times.  I could see the titans throwing it more than 300 times this year without the need for a deeper playoff run.  

should they make it as far as LOS I think 400-500 pass attempts is well within range...which is A LOT for a high school team.  So with this might see some of the other kids get a lot of volume and breakout. But I like this Murfin kid. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 8:27 AM, FarmerFran said:

Heard a lot of great things about the Hill kid dominating last year as an 8th grader..

On 7/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, footballer_02 said:

I felt after last season ended they could go on a run with John but now they have Coach Radtke.. I think if season is fully played.. Knox could be the team that represents the 3A North. 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, SteelCurtain88 said:

Lewellen won’t get the nod at QB?  Are you kidding me?  That has been Pioneers most productive position for years and their going to groom a freshman.  I’m not buying it.  Or it will last less than last year test of a new QB.  Having Lewellen as QB just gives them a threat and an extra blocker, don’t change something that isn’t broken.

I think this kid has a better arm than the Lewellen boy. 

Both Lewellens and Smith should be a solid backfield.. Will be curious to see how Hill does along with the Robinson boy. 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, SteelCurtain88 said:

As far as Winamac..the rough 3 year patch where overall numbers and less talented classes are over.  I wish Barr had a chance to Coach this years team but he was the fall guy.. No matter who coached the team the last 3 years was going to be let go.

Coach John Hendryx will come in with better numbers (class of 2022 and 2024 were always bigger classes) and more expierenced squad.

Dakota Podell, Kyle Olds and Logan Schultz will probably anchor the line. All 3 will be entering their 3rd year being starters. 

Russell Compton has thrown for over 1,000 yards last two years and will be in his 3rd year. Trent Fox ran for over 700 and Brayden Lynch received over 700 both will be in their 2nd year of starting on O. Fox started on D as soph. Cale Pesaresi will be in his 3rd year starting on D. Patrick Kiefer is back but im not sure what hell be able to play due to being 95 percent blind in an eye...had he not missed all last year..hed be another OL that would be in his 3rd year of varsity. 

I think Winamac will have 4 kids have "break out" years. 

Juniors Kicker Max Murray.. Linebacker Beau Brandt and skilled juniors Jaden Terry and Hayden Clark.

Max will be in his 3rd year of being the kicker (missed first 6 games last year).. Hayden will be in his 3rd year (missed last 7 games last year) of varsity (2nd on offense, 3rd defense).. Beau and Jaden will be first year starters on offense more than likely but 2nd on defense. 

Interested in what the CG contingent on the board has to say about Brandon Wheat?  I know they have their workhorse in Steele, but this kids speed shouldn’t be left on the sideline.

Will he spare Carson or do they have a special package for him?  Position switch?

On a team that has over a half dozen guys ready to play at the next level, this guy should not be forgotten.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:04 PM, cpg1970 said:

All do respect here cpg1970 . . . Throw the dawg in the yard a bone!

Doyle is one of 2 QBs in the HNAC that threw for over 1,000 yards last season.

Just thought I'd add that to the love that Coach Hostrawser's boys are getting here.

Wow! Don't get me wrong, but that is nice to see.  LaVille FB has improved a bunch over the last few years.  The senior class does have talent and they are a hungry bunch of Lancers!

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Bishop Dwenger. 
Brendon Lytle will be amazing.  He has skill to be one of best QBs in the state.  So will Devon Tippmann and Vinnie Fiacable who are already well known as some of best on State.   
New names that should do very well...KJ Tippmann, Sam Pesa, Callan Stauffer, Michael Finley, Jon and Joe Fabini, Adam Lee and Gavin Groves, Jack Tippmann and Rocco Ciocca and Ben Simcox. 
The most electrifying kid on the team? Henry O Keefe.  My nephew  played against him when they were younger and I’ve followed him.   If they use him correctly, he will be one of the best on the State.