Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli dropping Rebels nickname

I haven't been asked to be on the "task force", but I have some great suggestions when the time comes

1. Roncalli Haze - The tenacity of the Rebels will leave opponents in a Haze!

2. Roncalli Swarm - There's no escaping the Swarm once they set in on you. You won't be safe indoors, underwater, even in the bathroom!

3. Roncalli Gay Pride Rainbows- What a great way to make amends for past LGBTQ discrimination!

4. Roncalli Equality - Why have a winner or loser? Everyone can just tie!!

5. Roncalli X31s - Greatness personified!! 

54 minutes ago, LCKfan4life said:

Ridiculous. I am so thankful my Grandparents (WWII vets) are no longer here to see what sh*t show our country has turned into. 

Ahh yes cause during WW2... Blacks couldn't vote...eat, sleep, go to school, use bathroom or swim in a damn pool with whites or attend schools with whites. 

But yeah times were so great back then. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Help me out here. What is offensive about being a  'Rebel' ?

In general, nothing; however, it is my understanding from a couple of posts that I've seen that while the original term "rebels" was divorced from the idea of segregationists and the Confederacy and the school went to lengths to discourage that association, it found its way into some of the support at one time.  I think there are still a couple of posters on the site that may have more info on the history side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

In general, nothing; however, it is my understanding from a couple of posts that I've seen that while the original term "rebels" was divorced from the idea of segregationists and the Confederacy and the school went to lengths to discourage that association, it found its way into some of the support at one time.  I think there are still a couple of posters on the site that may have more info on the history side.

Roncalli is named for a Catholic priest. ..Angelo Roncalli,, who later was named Pope?

I'm assuming that Father Roncalli and the name Rebel have nothing to do with each other? 

The 'R' name just sounded good.? As you suggest,  I doubt that an Indianapolis Catholic school was nick-named after heroes of the confederacy.  

Roncalli was named a Saint?  Maybe Roncalli can be the Saints.  

Can there be anything bad about a Saint?

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Roncalli is named for a Catholic priest. ..Angelo Roncalli,, who later was named Pope?

I'm assuming that Father Roncalli and the name Rebel have nothing to do with each other? 

The 'R' name just sounded good.? As you suggest,  I doubt that an Indianapolis Catholic school was nick-named after heroes of the confederacy.  

Given that Vatican II occurred under the time of Pope John XXIII, Angelo Roncalli, I can understand the reasoning behind Rebels from that standpoint.  Yes, Roncalli was canonized a saint back about five years or so ago.

This will show em!  A GREAT step forward in “repairing” the obvious damage this nickname has done and pain it has caused so many for generations.  

Roncalli has been in the news for all of the wrong reasons over the last 2-3 years...this will fix it.

🙄

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Oh I’m sure someone will get their unders in a knot. 

33 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Roncalli has been in the news for all of the wrong reasons over the last 2-3 years...this will fix it.

🙄

Certainly my take on their reasoning...craven though it may be.

Honestly embarrassed for them...and disgusted.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

Just saw on the morning news that the reason Roncalli is dropping it's nickname, "Rebels" is due to someone is claiming it is tied to the Confederacy in the civil war.  Unless I am mistaken, rebels was the term applied to the colonists during the revolutionary by the British.  So do we try to cover up the revolution and pretend like it never happened too?  This is another fine example of how common sense is all but dead in our society today.  What's next?  I"m guessing Patriots will be the next banned nickname.  What about animal activists demanding schools/programs dropping the animal nicknames because someone will claim it's offensive to dogs and cats everywhere???  I hope Roncalli sticks to their guns and keeps their nickname.  Maybe they have other issues to work on, but their nickname is NOT one of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Since this it appears this sickening act of political correctness will come to pass I suggest the following new nickname:

Roncalli Hurricanes (some old time GID members may still get the reference.  Occurred during the height of the p/p vs. public 'debate' here on the GID.)

• Like 2

Roncalli has caved to secular political correctness!  Too bad since Roncalli's namesake, Pope John XXIII (Angelo Roncalli), was known as the "Rebel Pope".  It was a perfect nickname for the school and was voted on by the students and staff when the school was formed via consolidation.

11 hours ago, foxbat said:

Given that Vatican II occurred under the time of Pope John XXIII, Angelo Roncalli, I can understand the reasoning behind Rebels from that standpoint.  Yes, Roncalli was canonized a saint back about five years or so ago.

Pope John XXIII (Angelo Roncalli) was known as the Rebel Pope for his leadership on Vatican II, thus the perfect nickname chosen by the students and staff when Roncalli was formed via consolidation.