Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli dropping Rebels nickname

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Since this it appears this sickening act of political correctness will come to pass I suggest the following new nickname:

Roncalli Hurricanes (some old time GID members may still get the reference.  Occurred during the height of the p/p vs. public 'debate' here on the GID.)

YES 

• Like 1

From what I know, Roncalli been phasing out the Rebel logo for years now, the mascot itself has not been on any t shirts, designs, gear in many years, the new field turf was purposely voided of the word as well.   Helmets just featured a script R.   

from what I can gather the lone voice in Roncalli world around these parts is still TW 

15 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Ahh yes cause during WW2... Blacks couldn't vote...eat, sleep, go to school, use bathroom or swim in a damn pool with whites or attend schools with whites. 

But yeah times were so great back then. 

Lol - you're right...things are way better now. 

I am the former "rebel03".....still come in and around these parts 3-4 times a week.  I graduated in '04 and played on the '02 and '03 championship teams.  I was involved in the heyday of the "Horde"!  Man, those were great days......

Couple thoughts

On the name change- I am not "happy" about it, but we also live in a completely world.  It was not uncommon in the 90s for people to have the confederate flag at school flying from their cars.  That was nipped in the butt in the 90s, and was outlawed.  Admin said if that were to happen anymore, the student would be expelled, no questions asked.  I believe one student fell to this punishment, and this was no longer a problem.  As you have read, the term came from a famous pope who rebelled against church leaders for the greater good.  But, again, we are in different times now.  I have requested to be a part of the alumni side to be on the committee to find a new nickname.  You have to take the good out of the bad and move on.  

Current state of the program- My brother played quarterback in the early 90s for the Rebels and made the leap to go coach with Coach Rodenburg.  TW is back in the saddle doing some part time coaching with the offensive line. Brian Lauck is back, one of the best Rebel alums turned coach in the history of the school.  Numerous other alumni have come out of the woodwork to follow Rodenburg, including Jason Werner as well as others.  Rodenburg literally did not bring one person with him to be an assistant.  His background in Cincy Catholic football knew that someone that is a great leader will get the pack to follow him, and it is clear that the pack came to help him out.  This is the first time I have been excited to watch them play in a long time.  The iron fist is back, and ready to get into gear.  The kids are buying in, and have a solid nucleus back.  If anyone can do this, it will be Coach Rodenburg and the alumni there to help him out.  It is an exciting time, and I am happy for the program as a whole.  

There is a long way to go to get back to where they were, and maybe they never will, but I have hope that the right people are at least in place to get them where they need to go.  My son is a 4th grader at Saint Barnabas, I want him to grow up on Friday nights before high school watching what I was able to watch in the 90s.  It is a great thing when done right! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Will South Newton change its name? Im down for the South Newton Figs. 

Seriously,  Is that all you got?  Figs?   In another thread I stated how I like wordplay, but that's just silly.

12 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Seriously,  Is that all you got?  Figs?   In another thread I stated how I like wordplay, but that's just silly.

I like the Calculators.  After Sir Isaac Newton who invented calculus, the theory of the gravity, etc.

Although Ike was quite the intellectual, Newton County, Indiana was named for Sgt. John Newton of the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War.  This ungrateful colonial bravely saved American POWs who were to be executed by the British in the Siege of Savannah, Georgia.   Patrick Horry, obviously British, refers to this enlisted man as a thief and villain, however.

4 hours ago, Gipper said:

Fig newtons??

How about South Newton gippers? South Newton fighting Blaine Durhams? Haha jp. 

I hereby declare that from this day forward any school at any level or any professional organization that modifies it’s mascot name due to public pressure related to “political correctness” shall have its name automatically and legally modified to be, “The Vaginas”.

• Like 2
  • Kill me now 1