Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

July Week 4

1 hour ago, cw13 said:

No I am just acknowledging that it exists........and we will have to deal with it.......not going to say it will magically disappear or be behind us by memorial day

👌 

Lake County, I believe has the 2nd highest rate of COVID 19, so not surprise they halted athletic activities.  But theses past 3 weeks and this week coming are not mandatory, they are just extra time to get ready.  Official season starts next week with 3 days of acclimation before full pad practices.

6 minutes ago, Julio said:

Lake County, I believe has the 2nd highest rate of COVID 19, so not surprise they halted athletic activities.  But theses past 3 weeks and this week coming are not mandatory, they are just extra time to get ready.  Official season starts next week with 3 days of acclimation before full pad practices.

Is there any reason to believe things will be different in the weeks to come from what we’ve seen in the last 3 weeks?

Hopefully the IHSAA and individual schools will be smart and stop all outside athletic activities, such as baseball, basketball, and softball since they are not in season, and just make the student athletes concentrate on Fall Sports.  From what I have read and heard from other coaches, most of these student athletes have been doing travel sports where they are being exposed to a vast majority of the population.  This increases the risk of catching Covid-19.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Julio said:

Hopefully the IHSAA and individual schools will be smart and stop all outside athletic activities, such as baseball, basketball, and softball since they are not in season, and just make the student athletes concentrate on Fall Sports.  From what I have read and heard from other coaches, most of these student athletes have been doing travel sports where they are being exposed to a vast majority of the population.  This increases the risk of catching Covid-19.

Travel sports are spreading more of this. And they have been being played well before the IHSAA came back open. I am also somebody who believes all the showcase events and camps should not be happening. By looking at pictures on social media (Twitter) it looks like zero social distancing is happening. Kids from all of the state are represented at this. It makes the IHSAA look foolish for all of their rules that are to be followed with these events taking place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Is there any reason to believe things will be different in the weeks to come from what we’ve seen in the last 3 weeks?

Absolutely there is.  The dreaded “July 4th spike” is behind us, the hard hit states of Texas, Arizona and Florida look to have peaked and are tending down and there is a state wide mask mandate which can only help (even if many folks don’t comply).

Plenty of reason for optimism, just have to search for it...which sucks.

All sports fired up in July....basketball leagues....travel baseball...soccer (various levels of COVID-19 prevention at these events, but mostly none at all).  Now is the time more than ever to limit anything not in season.  But in our keeping up with the Jones' culture...that isn't' going to happen.  If someone is charging for it, parents will buy it.  It's the scholarship or bust mentality and it is MUCH stronger than the fear of COVID-19.

23 hours ago, Temptation said:

Absolutely there is.  The dreaded “July 4th spike” is behind us, the hard hit states of Texas, Arizona and Florida look to have peaked and are tending down and there is a state wide mask mandate which can only help (even if many folks don’t comply).

Plenty of reason for optimism, just have to search for it...which sucks.

Not completely with regard to COVID admissions as a percentage of hospitalizations or deaths per 100,000.  Source: CMU's COVIDcast https://covidcast.cmu.edu/?sensor=doctor-visits-smoothed_adj_cli&level=county&date=20200723&signalType=value&encoding=color&region=42003.

image.png.72ec9e9ae15fe16c4f28ab6d535692db.png  image.png.d29713a74aa690a6b6a5eb9abbf1212e.pngimage.png.7cad6b6a1d05ae2258f2d5e6402432ea.png

image.png.019f51c6f277b7f51140ff2c9889dba7.pngimage.png.49fb354b26be297a33b260b8c354e63e.png image.png.314dfced75cf0f7d1c7e16f5a8db750d.png

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

I’m at the Lake County Athletic Officials football meeting. 45 officials here ... all wearing masks. But @DannEllenwooddidn’t show. I so wanted to get a picture of him wearing a mask and post it on the GID. 😆

How did it go?  
My fellow crew members knew I would not be in attendance. I am at church camp. Just now got service. 
Have a great week. 

7 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

How did it go?  
My fellow crew members knew I would not be in attendance. I am at church camp. Just now got service. 
Have a great week. 

Make sure you can get there next week. I understand the presentation will be fabulous. 😜

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

I’m at the Lake County Athletic Officials football meeting. 45 officials here ... all wearing masks. But @DannEllenwooddidn’t show. I so wanted to get a picture of him wearing a mask and post it on the GID. 😆

Is there gonna be a bigger ref shortage then what there usually is?

Edited by TheStatGuy

1 minute ago, TheStatGuy said:

Is there gonna be a bigger ref shortage then what there usually is?

That’s a really good question. We will have even fewer officials than usual, as some (not many, by my count) will opt out of working during the pandemic. On the other hand, if games get canceled because a school is dealing with positive tests, it may all even out in the end. All I can say for certain is that there will be some cancellations, and there will be a scramble to match up officials and teams. I expect a real sh*t show.

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

That’s a really good question. We will have even fewer officials than usual, as some (not many, by my count) will opt out of working during the pandemic. On the other hand, if games get canceled because a school is dealing with positive tests, it may all even out in the end. All I can say for certain is that there will be some cancellations, and there will be a scramble to match up officials and teams. I expect a real sh*t show.

Would the lack of fans be an added enticement?  I could see the lack of a crowd, that clearly knows more than the white hat about football (tongue in cheek), might be appealing in some instances.

I told my wife last week if we are able to attend games this year I promise to be a kinder, gentler, more appreciate version of myself and treat the other team and officials with the utmost respect.

Yeah. She didn't believe me either. 😀 

3 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Would the lack of fans be an added enticement?  I could see the lack of a crowd, that clearly knows more than the white hat about football (tongue in cheek), might be appealing in some instances.

I told my wife last week if we are able to attend games this year I promise to be a kinder, gentler, more appreciate version of myself and treat the other team and officials with the utmost respect.

Yeah. She didn't believe me either. 😀 

Schools could save on the added security necessary to walk the refs to their cars and protect them from the experts in the stands. 😀

• Haha 1