Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Football Paranoia

I know this has probably been discussed on the previous forum prior to THE CRASH, but for the record, what is the action, phrase, good luck charm, or jinx move that you either have to do OR make sure no one does to insure your teams success. Steve Alford was known for socks, shorts, 1,2,3 swish at the free throw line. Some announcers refrain from saying the obvious about a no-hitter in progress. What is your sure fire winning streak stretcher? Personally I wear the same Tennessee Titans cap to every game and will not wear it anywhere else as long as we are winning. Once we suffer a defeat then I can wear it elsewhere. Weird, I know. My wife thinks I'm certifiably insane because of it. Tell us your team phobia unless of course that would jinx your team. 😉

When I was in HS, both Whiting (my school) and Hobart were one of the few teams left from the Region in the playoffs.  Hobart invited some of the Whiting players out to their pep rally at the Brickie Bowl.  We got to listen to Coach Howell speak in the locker room, they announced us in the Bowl, it was pretty special.  They also gave us a Hobart t-shirt.  Loving Hobart, I wore that t-shirt under my pads from that year on in HS and 4 years in college.  I am not superstitious but the shirt clearly meant something to me and I went out of my way to make sure I packed the shirt before every game.  

I recently grabbed a couple of storage bins from my parents house of crap my mom saved of me growing up.  I opened up the first bin and right on top is that Hobart t-shirt.  I told my wife the story behind it and she was disgusted that I wore the same shirt for 6 years.  I tried to put it on... not happening.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have long referred to the following things as part of me being "stuperstitious," meaning I know that they have no bearing on the outcome of a game itself (hence the "stupid" part) but I can't bring myself to NOT do them (the "superstitious" part):

-The only night of the week that I shave is Thursday night.

-I wear the same coaches polo every Friday at school and on the sideline (despite being told that I can wear a team t-shirt).

-I have to have the same numbered headset every Friday night (it was #8 last year) and wear it on the left ear over my baseball cap.

-I take two pieces of chewing gum before the game and two at half time.

These are not "winning streak stretchers" I simply HAVE to do these every week, win or lose, or else I feel like I personally doom our chances on Friday night... I know, stuperstitious right?

• Like 1