Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Football Season Options

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

unless you move Spring to Summer....   not ideal, and not likely, but Wisconsin was close to doing that from what I was told, but again, nothing from actual decision makers 

I believe they did that with baseball. I am not sure about track and field. 

11 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Not a chance. For that to work, the Spring coaches would have been told plan on the possibility of playing in the Fall. Not a single one of those coaches associations has been told that. With the official start date less than two weeks away, there is no possible way to tell those sports to be ready. And to have football in the Spring at the same time as those sports? Not a chance. Between Track, Baseball and Football, at least two of the sports would suffer because kids would be forced to choose one over another. 

Where did I say they'd switch seasons? I didn't. 

Winter sports. 

January to early early March

Fall sports

April to mid may. 

Spring

Late may to late june. 

Condensed seasons... better than playing 2 games and it getting shut down in fall and having zero sports in Winter. 

Edited by TheStatGuy

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I would start with immediate family of players (including grandparents if the player so choses) only plus media.  Then move to a 50% capacity model whereby the number of players is divided into 50% capacity and tickets are given out by the players depending on the local COVID-19 situation as determined by the school corporation.

I agree with this completely.   I can't see schools just allowing everyone.  

Thats part of my point.  We HAVE had a FEW be able to manage..while we are OUT of school.  With schools in session, we will all be together, in same building and rooms, all day.  We truly won't know anything until we all start school.  I would suspect that most of the schools in my area do not have the resources available to manage this the way we are recommended too.  I want football as much as anyone..just making a point about how we all think we can manage this when organizations with limitless resources can not..

2 hours ago, Indian72 said:

If you play as planned do you allow any fans in the stands?

The main reason is playing the season is for the KIDS...not the ADULTS.

Having as few adults as possible will make this season successful.

I wouldn't be surprised if they limit the number of coaching staff on the field...better tune up those headsets

2 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The main reason is playing the season is for the KIDS...not the ADULTS.

Having as few adults as possible will make this season successful.

I wouldn't be surprised if they limit the number of coaching staff on the field...better tune up those headsets

I believe that the sideline box for the team will be extended from 10 yard line to 10 yard line. That should help. But yeah, there usually are some other adults who like to hang out close by in a lot of schools on game nights. 

51 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I believe that the sideline box for the team will be extended from 10 yard line to 10 yard line. That should help. But yeah, there usually are some other adults who like to hang out close by in a lot of schools on game nights. 

The extension of the team boxes to the 10 yd. lines is for people in uniform only, in order to better enable social distancing. No coaches, trainers, etc. in the extended area.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The extension of the team boxes to the 10 yd. lines is for people in uniform only, in order to better enable social distancing. No coaches, trainers, etc. in the extended area.

What's the penalty for coaches and trainers in that space?

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

What's the penalty for coaches and trainers in that space?

“SECTION 8 NONCONTACT UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT BY NONPLAYERS

ART. 1 . . . No coach, substitute, athletic trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the game officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:”

“k. Being outside the team box, but not on the field. (9-8-3)”

10 hours ago, Fan90 said:

Thats part of my point.  We HAVE had a FEW be able to manage..while we are OUT of school.  With schools in session, we will all be together, in same building and rooms, all day.  We truly won't know anything until we all start school.  I would suspect that most of the schools in my area do not have the resources available to manage this the way we are recommended too.  I want football as much as anyone..just making a point about how we all think we can manage this when organizations with limitless resources can not..

The Toyota plant in Gibson County Indiana has been doing it every day for months (3 shifts) with 7,000 people, most of them at a higher statistical risk based on age.  They do it very simply with very limited resources.  No one has died and a crap ton of Toyotas have been built.  

Edited by Titan32

we can argue all day........the Avon experiment is under way today...........how they do, in person classes.......will gives all an idea as to if in fact the protocols will work........wait and see

20 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

I agree with this completely.   I can't see schools just allowing everyone.  

If they do start, Itll be similar to how bball regionals were going to be and it'll be that way until the season shuts down week 3 or week 4. 

5 minutes ago, cw13 said:

we can argue all day........the Avon experiment is under way today...........how they do, in person classes.......will gives all an idea as to if in fact the protocols will work........wait and see

Are students officially in the building today at Avon?

9 hours ago, Titan32 said:

The Toyota plant in Gibson County Indiana has been doing it every day for months (3 shifts) with 7,000 people, most of them at a higher statistical risk based on age.  They do it very simply with very limited resources.  No one has died and a crap ton of Toyotas have been built.  

Odd. 

All our factories had been shut down at one point.. One of them probably that size. 

Just now, TheStatGuy said:

Odd. 

All our factories had been shut down at one point.. One of them probably that size. 

Yeah it was shut down from like March 23 to mid May.  But running fine ever since with just basic common sense protocols.  

I posted this in another forum that got way out of hand and locked (rightfully so) and am curious to hear others’ thoughts 

I know that these Indy kids and other virtual students did not ask for these circumstances but I think it’s a little crazy that no one on any of these posts has talked about the MASSIVE advantage that the students have that are not attending a traditional 8 hour classroom sitting but instead are online and many juniors and seniors will be working at their own pace. I think it’s a massive advantage of doing your class work when you feel like it compared to being required to show up for 8 hours of school and then have a grueling 3 hour practice. It’s not the kids or parents’ faults but I am surprised that no one has discussed how big of an advantage this truly is for virtual schools. As long as these virtual students have self discipline, they have a huge edge in my opinion. And no I don’t have a solution for this but was just curious why no one has brought this up on the site (at least that I could find).

9 minutes ago, Coach Hanson said:

I posted this in another forum that got way out of hand and locked (rightfully so) and am curious to hear others’ thoughts 

I know that these Indy kids and other virtual students did not ask for these circumstances but I think it’s a little crazy that no one on any of these posts has talked about the MASSIVE advantage that the students have that are not attending a traditional 8 hour classroom sitting but instead are online and many juniors and seniors will be working at their own pace. I think it’s a massive advantage of doing your class work when you feel like it compared to being required to show up for 8 hours of school and then have a grueling 3 hour practice. It’s not the kids or parents’ faults but I am surprised that no one has discussed how big of an advantage this truly is for virtual schools. As long as these virtual students have self discipline, they have a huge edge in my opinion. And no I don’t have a solution for this but was just curious why no one has brought this up on the site (at least that I could find).

It COULD be an advantage for SOME. I know we certainly have some students who have enough self-discipline to handle it, but not near enough for a virtual option to be successful in the long term in the way you describe. 

I have been working on my MA in my subject are so that I can continue to teach my Dual Credit course. I take one course per semester (fall, spring, and summer) through a ISU's distance program. It is certainly a blessing, the virtual nature of the class, because otherwise pursuing this degree would not be possible. That said, I have the self-discipline as an adult to make it work, I do not think the same would be the case for me when I was 17.

I see where you are coming from and what you suggest works well on paper, but the reality is much different I fear...

7 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

It COULD be an advantage for SOME. I know we certainly have some students who have enough self-discipline to handle it, but not near enough for a virtual option to be successful in the long term in the way you describe. 

I have been working on my MA in my subject are so that I can continue to teach my Dual Credit course. I take one course per semester (fall, spring, and summer) through a ISU's distance program. It is certainly a blessing, the virtual nature of the class, because otherwise pursuing this degree would not be possible. That said, I have the self-discipline as an adult to make it work, I do not think the same would be the case for me when I was 17.

I see where you are coming from and what you suggest works well on paper, but the reality is much different I fear...

I agree with you in a sense. I think the ELITE programs like Warren Central, Cathedral, and a few others can find a way where these kids can group together and take advantage of this free time. It will not follow social distancing rules, but who is really regulating at this point and who can blame these kids for just wanting to improve and better themselves and the groups overall chemistry? These kids can watch film together, do routes, and workout in a more unique atmosphere than the kids that are in school 8 hours a day. I don’t think this will hurt classes 1A-3A but 4A-6A could see a significant advantage with kids who have D1 Aspirations. Just my 2 cents though. It takes a special athlete to get a D1 scholarship and I see a lot of these kids taking advantage of the down time that virtual schooling allows.

34 minutes ago, Coach Hanson said:

I've noticed this advantage with my kids who, for the most part, have been fully homeschooled until high school and then split time between homeschool and regular school when they get to high school.  My middle child did about four years between junior high and the first two years of high school full time at a public school and will be heading back to a hybrid homeschool model this fall, her junior year. but the others have focused on main being homeschooled until high school.  It's not really that they do it when they want as we have them do most of their work during regular "school" hours, but if they get something completed early, they can move on to their next subject rather than kind of killing time in class waiting on everyone else to finish.  Similarly, if they need a bit more time, it allows then to have that flexibility before moving on to another topic.  The other advantage that we have seen with this is that our kids' education has been incorporated into life as a whole as opposed to just "during school time."  As such, we tend to find our kids incorporating there lessons into things in regular life through the day.  In a sense, the learning doesn't have an artificial break point.  We also ended up incorporating their learning into family activity too ... especially when the kids were in elementary school and middle school.  Family trips often had a learning aspect to it and typical school holidays weren't big breaks from learning ... i.e., we didn't take a week off for Spring Break and Thanksgiving was typically a break on Thursday with a half-day on Friday unless we went to LOS for state games.

The kids learned the discipline of handling their own schedules and also understanding how to pace themselves.  We also gave them the options to move school days to Saturdays and/or Sundays when other events were pushing on their schedules like performances, games, science fairs, etc.  This helped them manage competing items better.  For my oldest two, they already had a taste of managing college schedules before they even got out of high school, so it was less stress when they headed off to college.  the youngest three are no yet in college, but the middle one is again resuming home schooling this fall and my youngest two have been home schooled their whole life, so they are pretty used to being given several tasks to complete and figuring how to balance those in to their lives at a very early age.

I think a number of districts will do the virtual learning drastically different than what took place in the Spring. Here in Allen County, every district has a plan that includes virtual students being logged in for each class period of a regular day. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I've noticed this advantage with my kids who, for the most part, have been fully homeschooled until high school and then split time between homeschool and regular school when they get to high school.  My middle child did about four years between junior high and the first two years of high school full time at a public school and will be heading back to a hybrid homeschool model this fall, her junior year. but the others have focused on main being homeschooled until high school.  It's not really that they do it when they want as we have them do most of their work during regular "school" hours, but if they get something completed early, they can move on to their next subject rather than kind of killing time in class waiting on everyone else to finish.  Similarly, if they need a bit more time, it allows then to have that flexibility before moving on to another topic.  The other advantage that we have seen with this is that our kids' education has been incorporated into life as a whole as opposed to just "during school time."  As such, we tend to find our kids incorporating there lessons into things in regular life through the day.  In a sense, the learning doesn't have an artificial break point.  We also ended up incorporating their learning into family activity too ... especially when the kids were in elementary school and middle school.  Family trips often had a learning aspect to it and typical school holidays weren't big breaks from learning ... i.e., we didn't take a week off for Spring Break and Thanksgiving was typically a break on Thursday with a half-day on Friday unless we went to LOS for state games.

The kids learned the discipline of handling their own schedules and also understanding how to pace themselves.  We also gave them the options to move school days to Saturdays and/or Sundays when other events were pushing on their schedules like performances, games, science fairs, etc.  This helped them manage competing items better.  For my oldest two, they already had a taste of managing college schedules before they even got out of high school, so it was less stress when they headed off to college.  the youngest three are no yet in college, but the middle one is again resuming home schooling this fall and my youngest two have been home schooled their whole life, so they are pretty used to being given several tasks to complete and figuring how to balance those in to their lives at a very early age.

I think that this is a huge advantage that some students have compared to others. I completed the majority of my bachelors and almost all of my masters online while working a daily job. What you taught your children as far as self discipline and time management skills will go a long way. But even in the impoverished schools where kids don’t have a lot to do to stay entertained, they will find a way to do football related activities and a good coach would encourage them to put their studies first but to also watch as much film and stay in as good of shape and hydrated as possible. Every district’s virtual learning will be different like Irishman state’s but we would all be naive to say that CERTAIN districts won’t be more at an advantage. Like I said, I don’t have a solution but was just curious why this had not been brought up yet because there has been hundreds of debates in here on the last 3 months but no one addressed this. 

Edited by Coach Hanson

Push start of the season back one full month   All teams play a conference only, 7 game schedule.  No state tournament and no long distance travel this season.  Keep the game local.  Schools play only for a conference championship.  7 game maximum schedule.

For conferences with less than 8 members, schools can fill in open dates against local competition only, or play twice via home and home against the same school.

The conference championship once again becomes relevent

Edited by DT