Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Football Season Options

Doesn’t the fact that we’re all talking about less than normal conditions/parameters for the season make you all think that this is just one big pipe dream??  I’ve said multiple times....I want a season as much as anyone, but common sense says it most likely won’t happen.  

6 hours ago, wrcsage said:

Doesn’t the fact that we’re all talking about less than normal conditions/parameters for the season make you all think that this is just one big pipe dream??  I’ve said multiple times....I want a season as much as anyone, but common sense says it most likely won’t happen.  

I don't think it'll happen in fall. It'll be in the spring. 

7 hours ago, DT said:

Push start of the season back one full month   All teams play a conference only, 7 game schedule.  No state tournament and no long distance travel this season.  Keep the game local.  Schools play only for a conference championship.  7 game maximum schedule.

For conferences with less than 8 members, schools can fill in open dates against local competition only, or play twice via home and home against the same school.

The conference championship once again becomes relevent

The conference championship is relevant...haha. 

8 hours ago, DT said:

Push start of the season back one full month   All teams play a conference only, 7 game schedule.  No state tournament and no long distance travel this season.  Keep the game local.  Schools play only for a conference championship.  7 game maximum schedule.

For conferences with less than 8 members, schools can fill in open dates against local competition only, or play twice via home and home against the same school.

There are 22 independent teams in Indiana.  Please explain to me how they will play for a conference championship.  Oh and keep in mind, one of those independents is Cathedral.  So you are going to tell them they can't play football because they aren't in a conference?  Your proposal seems to be a bit lacking and assumes all teams (your words not mine) play in a conference.

2 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

I don't think it'll happen in fall. It'll be in the spring. 

I just don’t see this as a viable option.  Track and baseball coaches would push back and kids would be forced to choose which is good for no one.  I get the money aspect and money usually talks but I just don’t know.

Then do you have them come back and play in the fall in 2021?  

19 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I just don’t see this as a viable option.  Track and baseball coaches would push back and kids would be forced to choose which is good for no one.  I get the money aspect and money usually talks but I just don’t know.

No they wouldn't have to choose. 

Basketball...girls and boys... Jan to early March (7-10 games+ tournament).. Wrestling, swimming similar schedule...as far as months

CC/Soccer/football/volleyball.. Late march to late May.. 

Softball, track, baseball, boys and girls golf in early/mid June to early/ mid july.

Pretty sure Iowa plays baseball that deep into the year anyway. 

Its better than either not starting or shutting down within 4 games.

14 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Football won't be pushed to sping in Indiana.  The IHSAA needs a playoff.

Well if it gets shut down during the fall, they'll be SOL anyway. 

Edited by TheStatGuy

I've heard that the IHSAA does have a backup plan.  They call it the HYBRID schedule.  Winter sports would play from January to end of February.  Fall sports would play from March to end of April.  Spring sports would play from May to end of June.  Not sure about required number of practices before first game. That may still need to be determined.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

There are 22 independent teams in Indiana.  Please explain to me how they will play for a conference championship.  Oh and keep in mind, one of those independents is Cathedral.  So you are going to tell them they can't play football because they aren't in a conference?  Your proposal seems to be a bit lacking and assumes all teams (your words not mine) play in a conference.

The commissioner would mandate that all independents who want to play the season would be given a one year conference invitation, similar to what Notre Dame has done with the ACC.

Cathedral to the MIC or the HCC

Culver to the NLC

Another option would be to create 2 or 3 temporary conferences (North/Central/South) and group the independents by geographic location, as almost all are 1A schools.

There is a solution to everything my friend.

I see a lot of contraction possibilities on that list of independents.  Thats another option.  Most of these schools are playing club level football, not varsity level.  

INDEPENDENTS
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  W-L Pts OP Streak
Anderson Prep Academy 0-  0 0 0 Lost 9
Bowman Academy 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Covenant Christian 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Culver Academy 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Dugger Union 0-  0 0 0 Lost 21
Heritage Christian 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Indiana Deaf 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Indianapolis Attucks 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Indianapolis Cathedral 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Indianapolis Manual 0-  0 0 0 Lost 2
Indianapolis Shortridge 0-  0 0 0 Lost 9
Indianapolis Tindley 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Indianapolis Washington 0-  0 0 0 Lost 3
Lapel 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Linton-Stockton 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Park Tudor 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Phalen Academy 0-  0 0 0  
Providence 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Purdue Polytechnic 0-  0 0 0  
Rock Creek Academy 0-  0 0 0 Lost 4
Tecumseh 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Traders Point Christian 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1

10 hours ago, DT said:

I would conjecture that, prior to COVID, conference championships were considered relevant ... by those in the conference.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Illinois has already decided that's the way to go for their state.  I've not yet looked at their plan in detail, but it would seem to make sense to check out releases from the IHSA as well as seeing if there's an Illinois version of GID to see what coaches, fans, etc. have discussed / are discussing about how they are moving forward with spring football as well as other sports.

1 hour ago, TheStatGuy said:

No they wouldn't have to choose. 

Basketball...girls and boys... Jan to early March (7-10 games+ tournament).. Wrestling, swimming similar schedule...as far as months

CC/Soccer/football/volleyball.. Late march to late May.. 

Softball, track, baseball, boys and girls golf in early/mid June to early/ mid july.

Pretty sure Iowa plays baseball that deep into the year anyway. 

Its better than either not starting or shutting down within 4 games.

Well if it gets shut down during the fall, they'll be SOL anyway. 

So you’d potentially be asking a basketball kid who plays football and plays baseball or runs track (a very common occurrence) to operate on this schedule:

Fall 2020:  “Condition” for sport A, B, C

January-March:  basketball 

March-May:  football

May-July:  track

July-October:  back to football

November-March:  back to basketball

April-June:  back to track 

Sure as hell looks like they’d have to choose to me because that’s NOT happening.

Thought you are all about the kids?  What you are looking at above is a high risk of injury and burn out.

Have you ever played organized sports at a varsity level?

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Lysander said:

“Cathedral to the MIC or the HCC”

Yep, those conferences are just biting at the leash for that.

I envision Cathedral showing up at games and asking, "What's your safe word?" 😀

Lord, I apologize for that.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mayo77 said:

You can all argue about the best date to open but all I know is my butt will be in bleachers August 15th watching football.    

We will be playing then, but unknown for sure if fans will be allowed. I'm hoping IF no fans are allowed, streaming options will be available. My only concern about no fans is if one of my kids gets injured and I can't be there(one is a player, and one is a manager.)

20 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I envision Cathedral showing up at games and asking, "What's your safe word?" 😀

Lord, I apologize for that.

Do you really think the MIC would say no to Cathedral?

Doesnt matter, the IHSAA would mandate that privates be invited to participate in conference play.  Maybe the Circle City would be a better option for the Irish.  

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Doesnt matter, the IHSAA would mandate that privates be invited to participate in congerence play.  Maybe the Circle City would be a better option for the Irish.  

I wish them the best in the MIC.......

52 minutes ago, DT said:

The commissioner would mandate that all independents who want to play the season would be given a one year conference invitation, similar to what Notre Dame has done with the ACC.

Culver to the NLC

Another option would be to create 2 or 3 temporary conferences (North/Central/South) and group the independents by geographic location, as almost all are 1A schools.

I see a lot of contraction possibilities on that list of independents.  Thats another option.  Most of these schools are playing club level football, not varsity level.  

INDEPENDENTS
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  W-L Pts OP Streak
Lapel 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Phalen Academy 0-  0 0 0  

So your "solution" is to force 22 teams to join a conference at the last minute.  Do you honestly believe that is going to happen?  If so, you are totally delusional.  Sometimes it takes a couple of years for a team to get into a conference.  Schedules have to be worked out and all of the logistics.  Your suggestion is totally unreasonable.  But hey, you think the commissioner can just snap his fingers and everything will be fine.  Not to mention:  "either do it our way or it's the highway for your football season.  Yeah, whatever.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

We will be playing then, but unknown for sure if fans will be allowed. I'm hoping IF no fans are allowed, streaming options will be available. My only concern about no fans is if one of my kids gets injured and I can't be there(one is a player, and one is a manager.)

Cannot fathom a situation where Immediate family would not be allowed into games.    

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

So your "solution" is to force 22 teams to join a conference at the last minute.  Do you honestly believe that is going to happen?  If so, you are totally delusional.  Sometimes it takes a couple of years for a team to get into a conference.  Schedules have to be worked out and all of the logistics.  Your suggestion is totally unreasonable.  But hey, you think the commissioner can just snap his fingers and everything will be fine.  Not to mention:  "either do it our way or it's the highway for your football season.  Yeah, whatever.

This is very simple in my view.  You already have almost 300 schools that are tied into conferences.  We are dealing with the exception schools and creatinga one year fix to give them the opportunity to play.  Why do people turn such simple solutions into unworkable scenarios?  Did you notice that almost 70% of those Indys are probably within 30 miles of Indianapolis.  All small schools for the most part.,  I have no doubt they could put together a quich hardscrabble schedule and give these kids the same opportunity to play as the conference affiliated kids get.  

58 minutes ago, DT said:

Culver to the NLC

INDEPENDENTS
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  W-L Pts OP Streak
Lapel 0-  0 0 0 Lost 1
Phalen Academy 0-  0 0 0  

So your "solution" is to force 22 teams to join a conference at the last minute just to play 7 conference games.  What about conferences with less than 8 teams?   I have seen some teams having to wait a couple of years just to join.  The schedules have to be worked out and the logistics.  If you think the commissioner can just snap his fingers and everything will be fine, you are totally delusional.  There's no way this would happen especially at this late of a date.  But hey, if that's what you want to think, enjoy yourself.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

So you’d potentially be asking a basketball kid who plays football and plays baseball or runs track (a very common occurrence) to operate on this schedule:

Fall 2020:  “Condition” for sport A, B, C

January-March:  basketball 

March-May:  football

May-July:  track

July-October:  back to football

November-March:  back to basketball

April-June:  back to track 

Sure as hell looks like they’d have to choose to me because that’s NOT happening.

Thought you are all about the kids?  What you are looking at above is a high risk of injury and burn out.

Have you ever played organized sports at a varsity level?

This is correct. 

Edited by wabashalwaysfights
Gif not working, removed...