Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

Football Season Options

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Kicking the can down the road could be kicking it onto a landmine.  There is no reason to believe things will be any "better" in the spring particularly if rudimentary case counts are the metric.

Why not... I read on here from experts that this will all change Nov. 3rd ...if that doesn’t get delayed.....

Edited by dazed and confused

Just now, dazed and confused said:

Why not... I read on here from experts that this will all change Nov. 3rd if that doesn’t get delayed.....

This isn't political for me.  I am left of center and firmly believe we need to start school and sports on time in Indiana.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

We will be playing then, but unknown for sure if fans will be allowed. I'm hoping IF no fans are allowed, streaming options will be available. My only concern about no fans is if one of my kids gets injured and I can't be there(one is a player, and one is a manager.)

Would be crazy not to allow parents.   

8 hours ago, Sports Fan said:

I've heard that the IHSAA does have a backup plan.  They call it the HYBRID schedule.  Winter sports would play from January to end of February.  Fall sports would play from March to end of April.  Spring sports would play from May to end of June.  Not sure about required number of practices before first game. That may still need to be determined.

That would work, SF.

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Cannot fathom a situation where Immediate family would not be allowed into games.    

Exactly....In the fall or the spring, you'd have to allow parents. 

If we dont feel we can allow mom and dad to sit and watch, the players lose out.

7 hours ago, DT said:

Do you really think the MIC would say no to Cathedral?

The Big-10 would say no to Cathedral, DT.

7 hours ago, DT said:

This is very simple in my view.  You already have almost 300 schools that are tied into conferences.  We are dealing with the exception schools and creatinga one year fix to give them the opportunity to play.  Why do people turn such simple solutions into unworkable scenarios?  Did you notice that almost 70% of those Indys are probably within 30 miles of Indianapolis.  All small schools for the most part.,  I have no doubt they could put together a quich hardscrabble schedule and give these kids the same opportunity to play as the conference affiliated kids get.  

You got "simple" right.  I don't think Cox is "simple".  And keep  in mind not everyone sees the world through your eyes.  To give some teams the ultimatum of "either do it this way or you're out" sounds like something a simpleton would suggest.  Football is a big money maker for most schools.  I couldn't sleep at night knowing I would have a part in taking that away from some schools.  I've already mentioned how the schedules (and the logistics) would be a nightmare for some.  I have EVERY doubt they could NOT put something together especially at this late of a date.  These kids already have the same opportunity to play without being in a conference.  But of course if the commissioner goes all Nazi, then I suppose they won't.  Some teams got out of conferences just so they wouldn't have to go 1 and 8 or 2 and 7 year after year.   They were able to get a more winnable schedule being independent.  And before someone calls out about "get better or get over it", some schools made the decision to do this so they could have a few winning seasons and get butts in the stands.  And what do you know?  Their revenue went up.

13 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

You got "simple" right.  I don't think Cox is "simple".  And keep  in mind not everyone sees the world through your eyes.  To give some teams the ultimatum of "either do it this way or you're out" sounds like something a simpleton would suggest.  Football is a big money maker for most schools.  I couldn't sleep at night knowing I would have a part in taking that away from some schools.  I've already mentioned how the schedules (and the logistics) would be a nightmare for some.  I have EVERY doubt they could NOT put something together especially at this late of a date.  These kids already have the same opportunity to play without being in a conference.  But of course if the commissioner goes all Nazi, then I suppose they won't.  Some teams got out of conferences just so they wouldn't have to go 1 and 8 or 2 and 7 year after year.   They were able to get a more winnable schedule being independent.  And before someone calls out about "get better or get over it", some schools made the decision to do this so they could have a few winning seasons and get butts in the stands.  And what do you know?  Their revenue went up.

I thought it was understood that I was making a one year proposal to accomodate all schools

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

If we dont feel we can allow mom and dad to sit and watch, the players lose out.

Besides football, how much of a prize is Cathedral, or are they a one trick pony?

2 hours ago, DT said:

I thought it was understood that I was making a one year proposal to accomodate all schools

Nope.  Swing and a miss!  You have no clue about changing schedules especially on a short notice. The schools already on a team's schedule would lose a game because of your "idea".   Besides, if I was an AD and the commissioner told me my school HAD to join a conference, I'd tell him where he could go.  But then again, he'd only have to go there for what?  one year?  It isn't easy scheduling for some schools as it is.  Some smaller schools are already on a tight budget.  As I've mentioned there's the logistics (gas money for buses, etc).  Are you sure you understand what accomodate means?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That would work, SF.

How ironic.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That was the irony I was previously referring to.

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Nope.  Swing and a miss!  You have no clue about changing schedules especially on a short notice. The schools already on a team's schedule would lose a game because of your "idea".   Besides, if I was an AD and the commissioner told me my school HAD to join a conference, I'd tell him where he could go.  But then again, he'd only have to go there for what?  one year?  It isn't easy scheduling for some schools as it is.  Some smaller schools are already on a tight budget.  As I've mentioned there's the logistics (gas money for buses, etc).  Are you sure you understand what accomodate means?

Botton line, small schools get screwed in this scenario

Thats your price for being a little guy.

And thats the cost of making a decision to be indepoendent.  You enjoy the flexibility that independence delivers, but sure would like the safety of a conference when things go bad.

As Tony Montana would say, "You .........  .....  Look at you now."

21 hours ago, Temptation said:

So you’d potentially be asking a basketball kid who plays football and plays baseball or runs track (a very common occurrence) to operate on this schedule:

Fall 2020:  “Condition” for sport A, B, C

January-March:  basketball 

March-May:  football

May-July:  track

July-October:  back to football

November-March:  back to basketball

April-June:  back to track 

Sure as hell looks like they’d have to choose to me because that’s NOT happening.

Thought you are all about the kids?  What you are looking at above is a high risk of injury and burn out.

Have you ever played organized sports at a varsity level?

There are kids that play 2 sports in a season anyway, that's not really uncommon at 1a or 2a level. 

The kids already usually have football/soccer/cross country Monday, Wednesday and friday (weights in morning, team stuff at night football/soccer wise) then go do basketball/wrestling/swimming on Tuesday night and Thursday night...and some even work 40 hours during that week... They are used to going from sport to sport, they also a lot of times they don't take much or any time off after one season ends

My suggestion isn't the gospel, its just an idea i came up with. I'm sure the IHSAA has a back up plan just in case we don't start in fall or we stop (which is likely). 

No I didn't play varsity sports in high school (as you know) but my friends that did.. went to sport to sport during the summer, barely took any or no time off from sport to sport during the school year. 

24 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

There are kids that play 2 sports in a season anyway, that's not really uncommon at 1a or 2a level.  

Actually, at least in our area, this isn't as common as you'd think. I've lived/coached in this area for most of my life and can count on one hand the number of kids who played football and another fall sport in the same season. 

Just now, wabashalwaysfights said:

Actually, at least in our area, this isn't as common as you'd think. I've lived/coached in this area for most of my life and can count on one hand the number of kids who played football and another fall sport in the same season. 

All our kickers do, we have had a few kids do baseball/track, cross country/soccer, girls golf/volleyball and so on. 

I'm firmly in the Pat McAfee camp that "kickers are people too" (at least I think he coined that phrase), but playing soccer and kicking for the football team, depending on the programs in question, really is not the same as playing another position on the field.  For example, two of the less than 5 I know of was at my first coaching stop and were soccer players who kicked for us. The first was very good, and our special teams benefited greatly from him doing both.  That said, he was with us for about 15-30 minutes a week prior to Friday night.  I would work him out on his own before or after his practice, often times without even being with the rest of the team.  Not ideal, but we made it work.  Unfortunately, the first young man sustained a rather serious injury on the pitch (I think a compound leg fracture if memory serves) and he recruited another of his soccer buddies to take his place.  Again, the second young man was very good and also was much younger, I think a freshman.  (As a side note; by the time that freshman was a Senior, he was only playing football, and became a two way starter in addition to kicker.  I had taken another job by that point, but one of my fellow coaches there said that the student-athlete just enjoyed football better and he didn't like splitting time.) 

I serve as our head track coach and have tried to work out the scheduling to have kids do both baseball/softball and track in the spring and it is a nightmare; still haven't been able to make it work.  No animosity with the other coaches, kids are willing, dates just never match up.  I've never seen the other two combos, so I don't know there.

2 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

The kids already usually have football/soccer/cross country Monday, Wednesday and friday (weights in morning, team stuff at night football/soccer wise) then go do basketball/wrestling/swimming on Tuesday night and Thursday night...and some even work 40 hours during that week... They are used to going from sport to sport, they also a lot of times they don't take much or any time off after one season ends

My suggestion isn't the gospel, its just an idea i came up with. I'm sure the IHSAA has a back up plan just in case we don't start in fall or we stop (which is likely). 

No I didn't play varsity sports in high school (as you know) but my friends that did.. went to sport to sport during the summer, barely took any or no time off from sport to sport during the school year. 

You are asking A LOT out of a 14-18 year old body.  I’m not for kids specializing by any means but in your scenario you’re going to have a kid be average at 2-3 sports rather than great/elite at ONE (and that’s if they even survive the grind you are proposing).

It is definitely not feasible at the 4A, 5A and 6A levels and though I am a big fan of kickers, that example is a joke.

12 hours ago, DT said:

Botton line, small schools get screwed in this scenario

Thats your price for being a little guy.

And thats the cost of making a decision to be indepoendent.  You enjoy the flexibility that independence delivers, but sure would like the safety of a conference when things go bad.

As Tony Montana would say, "You .........  .....  Look at you now."

Your "bottom line" is totally unacceptable if it screws over even one school no matter how big or how small they are.  "When things go bad"?  What things are going bad?  There is no way this type of thing would happen in Indiana . I don't care if Hitler is the commissioner no one is going to force 22 teams to join conferences.  You seem to ignore the issue of trying to get schedules worked out.  I think you don't have a clue how involved that would be.  But hey, keep it delusional!

30 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Your "bottom line" is totally unacceptable if it screws over even one school no matter how big or how small they are.  "When things go bad"?  What things are going bad?  There is no way this type of thing would happen in Indiana . I don't care if Hitler is the commissioner no one is going to force 22 teams to join conferences.  You seem to ignore the issue of trying to get schedules worked out.  I think you don't have a clue how involved that would be.  But hey, keep it delusional!

No, you just have a way of taking very simple solutions and overthinking them into oblivion.

19 hours ago, DT said:

No, you just have a way of taking very simple solutions and overthinking them into oblivion.

I'm not overthinking anything at all.  It is you who are NOT thinking.  You STILL ignore the fact how difficult it is to schedule games.  Multiply that by 9 (games) by 22 (independent teams) and also the other teams it will effect because of dropping them.  YOU have no clue.  There is nothing simple to that at all.  You think it is simple because it is your "cool" idea and it can just be zapped into existence?  Delusions, delusions, delusions.  I'll just say:  enjoy whatever season there is.

20 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Exactly.  No school has to join a conference.  I do recall a certain poster whose first name began with D and last name ended in T advocated that certain schools should go independent.

Hmmm...

Edited by Gipper
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Anybody ever look at this time in life as a time to SLOW DOWN and reset?

Yup. I cut everyone out of my life that

Thinks covid is a hoax, that doesnt wear a mask, that is for the confederate flag, that thinks that bubba wallace situation was fake, that voted for or will vote for trump in the fall, people that don't understand or care to understand why people take a knee during the anthem and who use the term all lives matter (cause they hide behind that to not understand the black lives matter movement). Its been refreshing not having to put up with uneducated and ignorant people. 

Edited by TheStatGuy
  • Haha 1