Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Replacement of Whistle with..?

Wink58

Question

10 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Wink58 said:

What are officials going to use instead of whistles this season? 

We would like to get what ever it is for practice.

The only option I know of, besides a regular whistle, is the handheld electronic whistle. Some officials I know have purchased them in anticipation of possibly being required to wear a mask. Our crew will be using regular whistles. If masks are ever required, I know I won't be working. 

4 hours ago, JustRules said:

From what I've heard there is a huge demand for electric whistles so getting one may be difficult. From what I've heard they sound similar, but they aren't as loud from a distance.

I have one - Windsor single tone electronic whistle. My wife says it's just as loud in the house, for whatever that is worth. It has a slightly different pitch, so it may not travel as well. 

The biggest difference is the amount of force doesn't vary the sound as much, like you could with your lungs. Not sure if this makes sense, but I would say you wouldn't notice a difference if you used it for a quick RFP whistle. But a more forceful - "Break up those post tackle skirmish" whistles you would notice it. 

On 7/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, Wink58 said:

What are officials going to use instead of whistles this season? 

We would like to get what ever it is for practice.

Not a ref, but this is what I bought for practice while being masked up. These are nice because you can yell and stop a play at the same time 🙂 

image.thumb.png.6a53abf4bd177639a8fe32c858eefb1c.png

• Haha 2

On 8/11/2020 at 9:03 AM, FarmerFran said:

Not a ref, but this is what I bought for practice while being masked up. These are nice because you can yell and stop a play at the same time 🙂 

image.thumb.png.6a53abf4bd177639a8fe32c858eefb1c.png

Love my Fox 40.  Bonus is that it doesn’t get clogged with sunflower hulls.  Not that I’m spitting on the field😉

I bought a Fox40 and used it in a couple of scrimmages.  Some of my fellow officials have said that it seems quieter than a traditional F40. Others say it's the same. 
I personally find it difficult from a mechanics standpoint.  After using a mouth whistle for nearly 30 years, trying to use the electronic signal creates a quandry of what to do with your hands for penalties, signals, etc.  For the record - I personally had similar issues with hand whistles.

It is probably just a matter of drilling and practicing with it, but right now, I will be using a mouth whistle for my upcoming scrimmage and for any varsity contests that are still allowed to be played.