Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A Sectionals - Guessing game

Posting this topic as one where users can make their guesses on what the new 6A sectional alignments will be. Here is what I would propose:

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Merrillville, Portage

Sectional 2: Chesterton, Penn, Valparaiso, Warsaw

Sectional 3: FW Carroll, Fishers, Hamilton Southeastern, Homestead

Sectional 4: Carmel, Lafayette Jefferson, Noblesville, Westfield

Sectional 5: Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, North Central, Warren Central

Sectional 6: Avon, Brownsburg, Pike, Zionsville

Sectional 7: Arsenal Tech, Ben Davis, Perry Meridian, Southport

Sectional 8: Center Grove, Columbus East, Columbus North, Franklin Central

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

Avon, Brownsburg, Ben Davis and Pike should always be in the same sectional.  It's a no brainer (except to the powers that be).

Edit........ Forgot about Zionsville.  They have to go somewhere.  Perhaps in a "cluster" with Laf. Jeff, Carmel , Westfield and Noblesville.

Edited by Staxawax

There are 10 schools from north of Lafayette. Either Zionsville and Laf Jeff go north and join some combo from the Region. OR, some combo of HSE/Fishers or Noblesville/Westfield go to Ft Wayne.

Either way, would suspect Laf Jeff and Zionsville to be paired together.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:34 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Posting this topic as one where users can make their guesses on what the new 6A sectional alignments will be. Here is what I would propose:

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Merrillville, Portage

Sectional 2: Chesterton, Penn, Valparaiso, Warsaw

Sectional 3: FW Carroll, Fishers, Hamilton Southeastern, Homestead

Sectional 4: Carmel, Lafayette Jefferson, Noblesville, Westfield

Sectional 5: Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, North Central, Warren Central

Sectional 6: Avon, Brownsburg, Pike, Zionsville

Sectional 7: Arsenal Tech, Ben Davis, Perry Meridian, Southport

Sectional 8: Center Grove, Columbus East, Columbus North, Franklin Central

That is the exact alignment I posted for 6A before the forum crashed when I posted the numbers from the DOE back in November.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kick4fun said:

Either way, would suspect Laf Jeff and Zionsville to be paired together.

I would be extremely surprised if Lafayette Jeff and Zionsville are paired together. That would mean Zionsville goes to the north of 6A. Which of these teams then would you put in the south because someone would have to go:

Carmel, Westfield, Noblesville, Fishers, HSE.

There isn't a CHANCE that the IHSAA puts Carmel in the south. And if Carmel isn't going south, it wouldn't make much sense for Westfield to go south. The IHSAA also won't split up Fishers and HSE (who, if in the north, I see being paired with the 2 Fort Wayne teams). That leaves Noblesville as the final team. So you're going to but Noblesville in the south? No way that is happening.

Zionsville will 100% be placed in 6A South.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I would be extremely surprised if Lafayette Jeff and Zionsville are paired together. That would mean Zionsville goes to the north of 6A. Which of these teams then would you put in the south because someone would have to go:

There isn't a CHANCE that the IHSAA puts Carmel in the south. And if Carmel isn't going south, it would make much sense for Westfield to go south. The IHSAA also won't split up Fishers and HSE (who, if in the north, I see being paired with the 2 Fort Wayne teams). That leaves Noblesville as the final team. So you're going to but Noblesville in the south? No way that is happening.

Pike and Zionsville are too close together to put them apart logically. Be like HSE and Fishers being split.

18 minutes ago, CoachJackson said:

Pike and Zionsville are too close together to put them apart logically. Be like HSE and Fishers being split.

Pike and Zionsville aren't in the same county, nor are they in the same school district. They are rarely in the same sectional in other sports. 

HSE/Fishers and LC/LN or Southport/Perry Meridian are all in the same school district. They are almost never split. 

The North can go a bunch of different ways. 

One idea

1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Merrillville, Lafayette Jeff
2: Chesterton, Penn, Portage, Valpo
3: Warsaw, Carroll, Homestead, Noblesville
4: Carmel, Westfield, Zionsville, North Central
5: HSE, FIshers, LC, LN
6: Pike, Ben Davis, Avon, Brownsburg
7: Warren Central, Tech, Southport, Perry Meridian
8: Center Grove, Columbus East/North, Franklin Central

The north might go a few different ways depending on what the IHSAA does with Lafayette Jeff. Someone is going to have to go north. 

Another
1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Merrillville, Portage
2: Chesterton, Penn, Valpo, Warsaw
3: Homestead, Carroll, Noblesville, Westfield OR Lafayette Jeff
4: Carmel, Zionsville, North Central, Westfield OR Lafayette Jeff

South stays the same. Pike/BD/Avon/Brownsburg and the Sectional 8 (FC/CN/CE/CG) are pretty much locked in. HSE/Fishers and LC/LN won't be split up so it makes sense to put them in the same sectional. And WC/Tech and the Perry Township schools make much sense. I expect if any Indy-area school goes north, it will be North Central. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

Another
1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Merrillville, Portage
2: Chesterton, Penn, Valpo, Warsaw
3: Homestead, Carroll, Noblesville, Westfield OR Lafayette Jeff
4: Carmel, Zionsville, North Central, Westfield OR Lafayette Jeff

South stays the same. Pike/BD/Avon/Brownsburg and the Sectional 8 (FC/CN/CE/CG) are pretty much locked in. HSE/Fishers and LC/LN won't be split up so it makes sense to put them in the same sectional. And WC/Tech and the Perry Township schools make much sense. I expect if any Indy-area school goes north, it will be North Central. 

HSE/Fishers and LC/LN were in the South the last 2 years and weren't in the same sectional. Even though you say it makes sense, the IHSAA must not have felt so last cycle.

I also would find it far fetched to see Lafayette Jeff get thrown in with the Fort Wayne schools. Both are well over 100 miles away from Jeff, while Carmel, Westfield and Noblesville are all at or under 60 miles away. Outside of Warsaw and Penn for the Fort Wayne schools, Noblesville is the next closest geographically, but #2 and #3 are Fishers and HSE. Since we know the IHSAA won't split them up (and assuming Sectionals 1 and 2 stay the same as they have been), that is why I I feel like they'll group Carroll and Homestead with Fishers and HSE. Even though it's over 100 miles for those pairs, it's all highway on I-69. What you proposed isn't bad though. It'll be interesting to see what they do. Hurts Carroll and Homestead having Snider and Northrop both drop down to 5A.

5 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

HSE/Fishers and LC/LN were in the South the last 2 years and weren't in the same sectional. Even though you say it makes sense, the IHSAA must not have felt so last cycle.

I also would find it far fetched to see Lafayette Jeff get thrown in with the Fort Wayne schools. Both are well over 100 miles away from Jeff, while Carmel, Westfield and Noblesville are all at or under 60 miles away. Outside of Warsaw and Penn for the Fort Wayne schools, Noblesville is the next closest geographically, but #2 and #3 are Fishers and HSE. Since we know the IHSAA won't split them up (and assuming Sectionals 1 and 2 stay the same as they have been), that is why I I feel like they'll group Carroll and Homestead with Fishers and HSE. Even though it's over 100 miles for those pairs, it's all highway on I-69. What you proposed isn't bad though. It'll be interesting to see what they do. Hurts Carroll and Homestead having Snider and Northrop both drop down to 5A.

Probably poorly worded on my part, but HSE/Fishers won't be split up, neither will LC/LN. The South will not remain the same from *this* cycle (it can't - schools have changed), but it would've remained the same from my original proposal. The fact that they're neighboring townships and each are two-school districts makes it easy to pair them, like it is with Carmel-North Central (which the IHSAA has paired in basketball in the past, sending NC north) and Pike-Ben Davis and Avon-Brownsburg. 

Noblesville is farther north than HSE and Fishers and is also close to I-69, which is why I would anticipate they be sent to Fort Wayne. 

Start at the bottom and work your way up

Sectional 8 is the most cut-and-dried field there is: Only 3 schools south of Marion County (CG, CE, CN) and Franklin Central is the only southside school without a natural partner, so the Flashes join them
Then you pair Southport/Perry. Only question is who they go with, but Tech and Warren Central form a natural pair, so they become a foursome for 7. 
Brownsburg/Avon are almost always paired together, as are the westside schools Pike/BD. In the last 40 years, Pike has been more tied to BD as a rival than its other neighbors North Central or Zionsville. It's an easy sectional with 4 school districts that neighbor each other. So that's 6. 
Then, you get to 5. LC/LN and who do you pair with them? Either Carmel and North Central or HSE/Fishers. Given Lawrence & White River Townships border each other and both have 2-district schools, it's easy to pair them. 

Two major questions in the north: Does Lafayette Jeff go to the Region or get paired with Zionsville? If it's the former, that causes the fewest travel problems (only one Hamilton County school has to go to Fort Wayne), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff sent north to the Region and Zionsville/Carmel/Westfield/North Central being Sectional 4. That only requires one school to be paired with the FW schools (Noblesville), and then keeps Penn with schools along the Toll Road (Chesterton/Portage/Valpo) and thus the three northeastern Indiana schools together. 

There are going to be travel issues in 6A north, so my first proposal mitigates as many as possible and only really sends 2 schools on long trips while also doing what the IHSAA usually does in keeping rivals together as much as possible. 

It will depend on who is selected for the alignment committee.  All it takes is one AD or administrator that wants to stack the deck in their favor or remove a school from their tournament path for as long as possible.  Geography and logical groupings are often secondary to selfish motives.

5 hours ago, Staxawax said:

We can all do this logically, but the IHSAA has already shown logic has nothing to do with it when they put Ben Davis and Warren together in this last cycle.

So sick of this.  You have to beat them eventually anyway.  What’s it matter?  You think Warren and Ben Davis pride themselves on SECTIONAL titles?

Move on...

Here's my take.

1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Merrillville, Lafayette Jeff (Bronchos will travel straight up I-65)
2: Chesterton, Penn, Portage, Valpo (Porter Co vs the Kingsmen)
3: Carroll, Homestead, Noblesville (Millers are closest to FW by a nose), Warsaw (Tigers used to head west, now they head east...or south)
4: Carmel, Westfield, HSE, FIshers (Hamilton Co slugfest)
5: LC, LN, North Central, Pike 
6: Avon, Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Zionsville (Zionsville becomes only school north of Marion Co to be placed in the south)
7: Warren Central, Tech, Southport, Perry Meridian (gee, who's gonna win this sectional?)
8: Center Grove, Col East, Col North, Franklin Central (Flashes face murderers' row)

20 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

There isn't a CHANCE that the IHSAA puts Carmel in the south. And if Carmel isn't going south, it wouldn't make much sense for Westfield to go south. The IHSAA also won't split up Fishers and HSE (who, if in the north, I see being paired with the 2 Fort Wayne teams). That leaves Noblesville as the final team. So you're going to but Noblesville in the south? No way that is happening.

Yea, no way the IHSAA puts Camel in the south and risk not having an all MIC state title game.

• Like 1

If you want to be technical....

Zionsville HS sits just south of 121st St.

Fishers and HSE literally are on opposite sides of 126th St (albeit slightly down the road from one another).  Fishers being North of 126th and South of 131st.

Carmel HS sits North of 131st St. (Main St in Carmel)

Westfield and Noblesville are both just North of SR 32.

Strictly by geography....ZVille is "South"....FWIW.

Edited by US31

20 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Two major questions in the north: Does Lafayette Jeff go to the Region or get paired with Zionsville?

*Noblesville is farther north than HSE and Fishers and is also close to I-69, which is why I would anticipate they be sent to Fort Wayne. 

I just honestly see neither of these things happening. I feel like you could sell me more on the possibility of Lafayette Jeff heading to Fort Wayne along with Noblesville rather than Jeff going to the Region or being paired with Zionsville. I have a strong belief that Zionsville will be put in 6A South.

I also feel like it makes a lot of sense for the IHSAA to keep Carmel, Noblesville and Westfield together as well, leaving them the need to find 1 school to fill that sectional. It can't/won't be either HSE or Fishers since they won't be split up. That leaves Jeff to fill that sectional.

*While Noblesville is "farther north" than HSE and Fishers, they are much closer to I-69 and are actually closer for Homestead and Carroll "time wise". Miles wise, there are close to equal.

20 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I just honestly see neither of these things happening. I feel like you could sell me more on the possibility of Lafayette Jeff heading to Fort Wayne along with Noblesville rather than Jeff going to the Region or being paired with Zionsville. I have a strong belief that Zionsville will be put in 6A South.

The IHSAA will want to send as few schools north to the Region/Fort Wayne as possible. One thing that *might* bring Jeff into a pairing with Zionsville is the fact that both it and Zionsville are right on I-65 and they have often been paired in the past in other sports. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff sent north because it makes the northern half of the state much easier to group (it can be with the Lake County-area schools, thus creating a simple grouping of Penn and the southeastern Lake Michigan schools and then allows the three Fort Wayne-area schools to be joined by just one Hamilton County school). Lafayette sits halfway between Indy and the Region. It's going to have to travel, and the IHSAA will want to inconvenience as few teams as possible with long travel. 

I feel the 6A sectionals/regional need revisited. I think think they should have sectional with 1 moved to sectional 3 and have sectional 3 moved to sectional.1.  Have the NW Indiana sectional team winner play the nw indy/Lafayette area winner, while the Fort Wayne area sectional winner plays the South Bend/Mishawaka area winner for regional. JMO

9 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Did I miss something? Fort Wayne Northrop is not mentioned. Did they drop down to 5A? They have always been the largest school in FWCS. 

Northrop is the 33rd largest school, which moves them down to 5A.  FWCS enrollments are Northrop 2032, Snider 1860, North 1550, Wayne 1369, and South 1358.