Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Kids have been hanging out and playing sports since june.  Only way you haven't seen this is if you dont have kids or are blind.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mayo77 said:

Kids have been hanging out and playing sports since june.  Only way you haven't seen this is if you dont have kids or are blind.  

Unpopular opinion:  Kids will actually socially distance less if they are not at school or participating in a sport this fall...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mayo77 said:

Kids have been hanging out and playing sports since june.  Only way you haven't seen this is if you dont have kids or are blind.  

Literally 9 of 10 kids in my college ages son's circle and extended circle have had Covid-19....or should I say tested positive for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be naive, but isn't it about time we change the narrative on teenagers and COVID-19?As the FDA moves closer to approving using plasma as the first approved treatment to treat COVID19,  I think it may be time we start looking to  teenagers not just as those that don't show symptoms and may be a source of infection to our older citizens, but instead consider our teenage athletes (typically some of the healthiest of our community) may be our saving grace? Instead of wondering if we should cancel schools and cancel sports we use our varsity level athletes (Juniors and Seniors and college) as control groups in our communities. We should be discussing if we could request schools ask their Varsity Juniors and Seniors to volunteer for COVID antibody testing (not COVID testing) using travelling nurse services at their schools. Finding this data in a controlled way in each community will give us a better idea of the infection rate/recovery for each area as it can be assumed that if the teen has the antibodies, the entire household had likely been infected and recovered. Then we ask those 16,17,18 year olds with the antibodies and robust immune systems to consider donating plasma with parent's consent to be collected at local hospitals for treatment usage. Similar to how we do senior blood drives across the state? 

I understand that medically speaking, prevention is always the best solution. But the reality is that  prevention is not working so as we get closer and closer to flu season, we need to consider what we know, what resources we have to combat infection and really consider if mother nature just may have given us our own solution right in our own back yards? 

Thoughts? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FBFAN40 said:

This may be naive, but isn't it about time we change the narrative on teenagers and COVID-19?As the FDA moves closer to approving using plasma as the first approved treatment to treat COVID19,  I think it may be time we start looking to  teenagers not just as those that don't show symptoms and may be a source of infection to our older citizens, but instead consider our teenage athletes (typically some of the healthiest of our community) may be our saving grace? Instead of wondering if we should cancel schools and cancel sports we use our varsity level athletes (Juniors and Seniors and college) as control groups in our communities. We should be discussing if we could request schools ask their Varsity Juniors and Seniors to volunteer for COVID antibody testing (not COVID testing) using travelling nurse services at their schools. Finding this data in a controlled way in each community will give us a better idea of the infection rate/recovery for each area as it can be assumed that if the teen has the antibodies, the entire household had likely been infected and recovered. Then we ask those 16,17,18 year olds with the antibodies and robust immune systems to consider donating plasma with parent's consent to be collected at local hospitals for treatment usage. Similar to how we do senior blood drives across the state? 

I understand that medically speaking, prevention is always the best solution. But the reality is that  prevention is not working so as we get closer and closer to flu season, we need to consider what we know, what resources we have to combat infection and really consider if mother nature just may have given us our own solution right in our own back yards? 

Thoughts? 

How many parents would give permission?  How many would ask for payment of plasma?  Lots of legal slippery slopes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

College kids donate plasma all the time for extra cash.  Just need permission from a legal guardian for the under 18 crowd is my guess.

Edited by Titan32
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

College kids donate plasma all the time for extra cash.  Just need permission from a legal guardian for the under 18 crowd is my guess.

Different level of motivation in comparison.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Temptation said:

Unpopular opinion:  Kids will actually socially distance less if they are not at school or participating in a sport this fall...

Sports also keeps a percentage of kids out of trouble. Some won't get into trouble regardless.........some will. Taking athletics away from these students is just a bad idea in my opinion. And for some, it's all they have to look forward to. Some will say this is selfish thinking because our desire to watch football is stronger than the safety of our kids. Could canceling athletics due to public pressure also be considered a form of selfishness? Because pressure is what this is really about when considering whether or not to play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BTF said:

Sports also keeps a percentage of kids out of trouble. Some won't get into trouble regardless.........some will. Taking athletics away from these students is just a bad idea in my opinion. And for some, it's all they have to look forward to. Some will say this is selfish thinking because our desire to watch football is stronger than the safety of our kids. Could canceling athletics due to public pressure also be considered a form of selfishness? Because pressure is what this is really about when considering whether or not to play. 

Certain people won't look at it this way and it's a shame.   Of course it's out of selfishness.   When less than 175 people under age 24 have died in THE UNITED STATES IN 5 MONTHS what else could it be.    But hey let's take away from kids and hide them away in front of ps4.   Its ridiculous.   I'm more worried about long term concussion issues than I am covid effecting athletes.      But that's me.   Others will differ.   

  • Like 2
  • Disdain 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

College kids donate plasma all the time for extra cash.  Just need permission from a legal guardian for the under 18 crowd is my guess.

Well it was just an idea, as I said naive, or optimistic, but there have been developments today:

 

Here is the FDA's new PSA asking for Plasma donations from COVID19 patients who have recovered. (Note it says you need a laboratory COVID19 diagnosis, but looking into this a plasma antibody test counts a laboratory diagnosis, and that test costs $160 which if student athletes are asked to VOLUNTEER the donation for NO COMPENSATION the lab/health department should pay) 

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/donate-covid-19-plasma

 

Also John's Hopkins just got $35 Million dollars to start testing Plasma on an out patient basis. Which is good news, if this works, and there is a stockpile of Plasma available, there would be no reason to shut down fall, winter or spring sports. No reason to cancel school, and the sooner the economy could open full steam if we knew there was enough plasma stockpiled. It really would be about how its presented to everyone. IMO. 

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/07/30/johns-hopkins-funding-for-coronavirus-blood-plasma-trials/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LuersLurker said:

Teens have taken not social distancing to the extreme.  They have Covid parties.

https://people.com/health/alabama-teens-throw-coronavirus-themed-parties-with-payout-reward-for-anyone-who-gets-infected/

 

 

Yeah this is going on High School in Cincinnati had one of their players test positive and had a little Corona party ended up 8 more tested positive all are well and back at practice! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of sick of people making arguments that the other side is just motivated by selfishness.  Everyone thinks they have pure motives and everybody else is motivated by some insidious motives or agenda.  Its a public health crisis.  

The reality of the situation is that in person school and athletics are hanging by a thread.  Even the schools that open and start football Monday have an enormous set of challenges to keep it going.  Some schools are already making the decision not to open for 4 weeks and then reevaluate.  There are no answers about the issues that most likely arise, due to the fact that the virus seems to be spreading in Indiana, especially among young people.  These young people do not live in a bubble, they are in the community.  There will be positive tests, just like in major league baseball.  Some of the schools and teams will ultimately have to shut down, just because they have too many positive tests among players and coaches.  The same is true for whole schools.  Many are trying to do all they can to get this going, and I get it.  Without an answer to the issue of this virus spreading and people having to isolate due to positive tests, I dont know how we can sort of work around it.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ribbed85 said:

Yeah this is going on High School in Cincinnati had one of their players test positive and had a little Corona party ended up 8 more tested positive all are well and back at practice! 

The go out (almost all asymptomatic), they come back in after quarantine, protocols work.  Just like they do at our Toyota plant with 7,000 employees.  Rudimentary case counts are going to go up in Indiana...we are nowhere near our peak.  With basic protocols, it can be managed....just like the factories.  Really the only places that I have any concern are Marion and Lake counties.  In fact, I believe it's completely possible Marion will cancel most in person school and football in 3 weeks.  Giving the rest of the state almost no time to reschedule and minimizing transfers to other schools.  The rest of the state will play without them.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

The go out (almost all asymptomatic), they come back in after quarantine, protocols work.  Just like they do at our Toyota plant with 7,000 employees.  Rudimentary case counts are going to go up in Indiana...we are nowhere near our peak.  With basic protocols, it can be managed....just like the factories.  Really the only places that I have any concern are Marion and Lake counties.  In fact, I believe it's completely possible Marion will cancel most in person school and football in 3 weeks.  Giving the rest of the state almost no time to reschedule and minimizing transfers to other schools.  The rest of the state will play without them.

The way I read the bobby cox interview today backs up what you are saying.   He seemed pretty adamant that if 50 or however many schools choose not to play that it is on them but there will be fall sports whether people like it or not.    

Edited by Mayo77
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

The way I read the bobby cox interview today backs up what you are saying.   He seemed pretty adamant that if 50 or however many schools choose not to play that it is on them but there will be fall sports whether people like it or not.    

YES!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mayo77 said:

The way I read the bobby cox interview today backs up what you are saying.   He seemed pretty adamant that if 50 or however many schools choose not to play that it is on them but there will be fall sports whether people like it or not.    

Bobby Cox is retired from the IHSAA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 4:55 PM, Mayo77 said:

Certain people won't look at it this way and it's a shame.   Of course it's out of selfishness.   When less than 175 people under age 24 have died in THE UNITED STATES IN 5 MONTHS what else could it be.    But hey let's take away from kids and hide them away in front of ps4.   Its ridiculous.   I'm more worried about long term concussion issues than I am covid effecting athletes.      But that's me.   Others will differ.   

It's not about the teenagers dying, it's about limiting the amount of people who catch the virus, carry it, and then give it to higher risk people. It's all about limiting transmission rates. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AG said:

It's not about the teenagers dying, it's about limiting the amount of people who catch the virus, carry it, and then give it to higher risk people. It's all about limiting transmission rates. 

While I agree is it all or nothing?  If schools are in person, fall sports should be “a go” no?

While one is essential (school) and the other is not (athletics) how can you look kids straight in the face and tell them it’s OK to pack into buildings with thousands of classmates but not participate in athletics after school with dozens?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Temptation said:

While I agree is it all or nothing?  If schools are in person, fall sports should be “a go” no?

While one is essential (school) and the other is not (athletics) how can you look kids straight in the face and tell them it’s OK to pack into buildings with thousands of classmates but not participate in athletics after school with dozens?

I personally believe that all schools should either be canceled for the upcoming school year or it should all be done online again like it was in March, April, and May. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...