Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Schedules and Nightmares

5 hours ago, Graphic Context said:

I don't want to reveal too many secrets! And about Andrean - yes, I believe they are underrated this year even if they are in the Indiana Football Digest as #5. They are going to be very good. Their size for a 2A team is just completely unbelievable, and they have the playmakers to make a deep run this year. I am hopeful that we can make some noise, but I must temper my expectations since we lose such talented individuals.

It stinks Andrean is gonna have a special team this year and the season isn't gonna finish. 

Hey everyone!   

Some Sectional 33 chatter,  Love it,  just wanted to say Hello.  😀

2 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

It stinks Andrean is gonna have a special team this year and the season isn't gonna finish. 

Or the other side of the coin, it could also finish.   Just saying.   😉

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Hey everyone!   

Some Sectional 33 chatter,  Love it,  just wanted to say Hello.  😀

Or the other side of the coin, it could also finish.   Just saying.   😉

It will begin and finish as expected. 

4 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

It will begin and finish as expected. 

I guess the more pertinent question would be if all schools will start and finish.... thats the question,  I mean technically, State could run it as is, but far less than 100% of football playing school could be participating from week to week, that is what I see more so then anything else.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graphic Context said:

Meanwhile we would be lucky to have 30...

We have had around 45 last 4 weeks, should be up around 50-53 when it is go time.   

I would expect to see BG after the year they had to carry that momentum into having more bodies out for this year.   Do you anticipate having a lower level team? C or JV?  

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I guess the more pertinent question would be if all schools will start and finish.... thats the question,  I mean technically, State could run it as is, but far less than 100% of football playing school could be participating from week to week, that is what I see more so then anything else.   

Could or would they reclassify if some schools can’t participate in post season? Or would that be way too difficult to do? Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.. 

3 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Doesn’t Andrean always have a special team?!? Haha 

8 hours ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Ouch, so your down top two QB’s from last year. Makes the year with less offseason an uphill battle. Anyone left in program who can toss it around, or gonna be mainly run team to start out? 
So you think Andrean is in for a long run? Would like to see more true North teams playing down state. 

QB Mayersky (sp?) was a stud on both sides of the ball last year for BG

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Do things wisely. Game on. 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We have had around 45 last 4 weeks, should be up around 50-53 when it is go time.   

I would expect to see BG after the year they had to carry that momentum into having more bodies out for this year.   Do you anticipate having a lower level team? C or JV?  

The BG JV game I was scheduled to officiate, has been canceled, as has all their games.  That is according the information I received from their school. Did not say why. 

On 7/31/2020 at 10:27 PM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Could or would they reclassify if some schools can’t participate in post season? Or would that be way too difficult to do? Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.. 

My guess is they would keep classifications and sectionals with byes as necessary to account for teams missing. Obviously some sectionals would have more than others. Very possible there are no games in week 1 of a sectional.

4 hours ago, JustRules said:

My guess is they would keep classifications and sectionals with byes as necessary to account for teams missing. Obviously some sectionals would have more than others. Very possible there are no games in week 1 of a sectional.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go ahead with whatever they could get taken care of rather than doing no games in the first week?  If push came to shove, you could always have that vacant week the week before State, or regionals, or semis to allow for injury ... or COVID ... recovery.

Edited by foxbat

Here is my suggestion:  Make a minimum number of games that each team needs to play to qualify for the sectional.  That number can be determined by the IFCA.  Then once the season is over, we take all of the teams that are available and list them by enrollment.  If we stay status quo we will divided them into six classes using the ratio we use now.  Then play the tournament.  If a team has an outbreak during the tourney they forfeit the game and their opponent moves on.  

I believe that we should play but it needs to be safely.  I know at my school though we are starting virtual, which I disagree with.  We are allowing our athletes to opt for the full 9 weeks of virtual learning.  The issue I have as a teacher is that those students will not be taking electives and some of them may miss out on dual credit if it is through Ivy Tech.  My own son in college now will get a degree in Software engineering in three years from Trine University.  The free Dual Credit courses he took in college will save him (i.e. us) around $25,000.  Each family can make their own decisions, I hope they get all of the facts from their schools as to what that may be.

Lastly to play safe we need to make sure that masks are worn at all times in schools, that social distancing is mandatory in schools, that sick kids and teachers stay home without repercussions, and that fans that attend games socially distance themselves and wear masks.  Any outbreak that is attributed to the school will look bad and schools will shut down.  If our goal is to get kids in the classroom and on the field we ALL need to follow the rules.  This won't last forever.  

35 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

Here is my suggestion:  Make a minimum number of games that each team needs to play to qualify for the sectional.  That number can be determined by the IFCA.  Then once the season is over, we take all of the teams that are available and list them by enrollment.  If we stay status quo we will divided them into six classes using the ratio we use now.  Then play the tournament.  If a team has an outbreak during the tourney they forfeit the game and their opponent moves on.  

I believe that we should play but it needs to be safely.  I know at my school though we are starting virtual, which I disagree with.  We are allowing our athletes to opt for the full 9 weeks of virtual learning.  The issue I have as a teacher is that those students will not be taking electives and some of them may miss out on dual credit if it is through Ivy Tech.  My own son in college now will get a degree in Software engineering in three years from Trine University.  The free Dual Credit courses he took in college will save him (i.e. us) around $25,000.  Each family can make their own decisions, I hope they get all of the facts from their schools as to what that may be.

Lastly to play safe we need to make sure that masks are worn at all times in schools, that social distancing is mandatory in schools, that sick kids and teachers stay home without repercussions, and that fans that attend games socially distance themselves and wear masks.  Any outbreak that is attributed to the school will look bad and schools will shut down.  If our goal is to get kids in the classroom and on the field we ALL need to follow the rules.  This won't last forever.  

@Bobref has already addressed the minimum number of games. 

While I agree that classes could be adjusted based on the number of teams playing at the end of the season and have played the required 4 games, the problem will be what to do with 6A. Since a large number of teams are in the Indy area, and other large cities, where the risk of having a season delayed or even cancelled is higher, schools with even smaller enrollment numbers are going to bump up? Or the teams in 6A could bump down to 5A if needed. My guess is if a County Health Department does something like the one in Marion County did, the 4 game minimum would be waived for this season. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:23 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

There will not be a JV team. We do have a large number of incoming Freshman, but they had to replace a rather large senior class. We will be lucky to have 35 rostered.

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

@Bobref has already addressed the minimum number of games. 

Has the IHSAA put out anything that eliminates the minimum number of games stipulation? I saw @Bobref mention the 4 game minimum. I participated in a Zoom meeting, for an association that I'm not a member of, last week, and the guest speaker was Mr. Faulkens. This question came up and I could've sworn he said there would be no minimum to play in the tournament. Apologies if I mis-heard.

On a side note, I do appreciate all of the associations that are holding on-line meetings. It's good to hear from officials in other parts of the state...…..and the refreshments are much better at home. 

16 minutes ago, SL816 said:

Has the IHSAA put out anything that eliminates the minimum number of games stipulation? I saw @Bobref mention the 4 game minimum. I participated in a Zoom meeting, for an association that I'm not a member of, last week, and the guest speaker was Mr. Faulkens. This question came up and I could've sworn he said there would be no minimum to play in the tournament. Apologies if I mis-heard.

On a side note, I do appreciate all of the associations that are holding on-line meetings. It's good to hear from officials in other parts of the state...…..and the refreshments are much better at home. 

Amen man.  Apparently Bob is presenting tonight.

24 minutes ago, SL816 said:

Mr. Faulkens did say that. I was on the same call. 

• Like 1