Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

History Standard Taught in Schools: John Oliver

Coach Nowlin

Interesting video.  I have a minor in history, almost finished with a BA in history.  I did learn a lot of it outside of school.  I went to a multiracial church and learned a lot there.  I generally teach English/LA, or ESL.  Lately, I've been teaching ESL/Spanish.  I try to bring multiculturalism in as much as possible for the betterment of everyone.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Interesting video.  I have a minor in history, almost finished with a BA in history.  I did learn a lot of it outside of school.  I went to a multiracial church and learned a lot there.  I generally teach English/LA, or ESL.  Lately, I've been teaching ESL/Spanish.  I try to bring multiculturalism in as much as possible for the betterment of everyone.  

I taught 8th grade history at a charter school in Las Vegas, where   75% of students were black. 

12 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

I taught 8th grade history at a charter school in Las Vegas, where   75% of students were black. 

That was the 2nd incarnation of Andre Agassi's charter school, Democracy Prep. We spent an entire month about Reconstruction and the Great Betrayal. I was also big to point out that the 13th Amendment didn't abolish slavery in the USA, it abolished slavery in the South; the North gave it up willingly. 

My job after teaching history at DPAC was teaching civics at Pahrump Valley HS, and an activity I did (which met NV standards) was to compare the 2nd Amendment to the equivalent in the Nevada Constitution; the Nevada Constitution says the following- 

Sec. 11.  Right to keep and bear arms; civil power supreme.

1.  Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes. 

2.  The military shall be subordinate to the civil power; No standing army shall be maintained by this State in time of peace, and in time of War, no appropriation for a standing army shall be for a longer time than two years.

I explained the reason they differ is because the Nevada version was adopted in 1982, and I then had them write a version in their own words. 

22 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Interesting Segment;   I know of 1 actual HS History Teacher on here: @DannEllenwood  any others ?   Food For thought?  

Errr, dunno,.....the faculty at Butler University back in the day thought I was marginally proficient in History.  

Not having listened to a Brit talking about American history, my only observation was that he thought that the idea of the current crazies tearing down Lincoln and Jefferson statues was more than ridiculous....literally a straw man position.

....and yet it’s happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Not having listened to a Brit talking about American history, my only observation was that he thought that the idea of the current crazies tearing down Lincoln and Jefferson statues was more than ridiculous....literally a straw man position.

....and yet it’s happening.

It’s the Robert E Lee statues that are being torn down, not the Washington statues.

11 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

It’s the Robert E Lee statues that are being torn down, not the Washington statues.

I never even mentioned Washington but am now absolutely assuming it must be wishful thinking on your part, though.......though he’s clearly targeted for you and your comrades.

I’m just assuming you were still too giddy over the death of Herman Cain when you made that slip.

• Thanks 1
  • Kill me now 1

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

I never even mentioned Washington but am now absolutely assuming it must be wishful thinking on your part, though.......though he’s clearly targeted for you and your comrades.

Washington was referenced in the video at the start of the thread.

I guess what I find interesting is a history lesson from a comedian garnering what appears to be a legitimate conversation.......

No - I didn't watch the video......I suppose comedy will have some level of truth in it to be funny, but I chose not watch it from him.....

• Kill me now 1

On 8/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, DanteEstonia said:

I was also big to point out that the 13th Amendment didn't abolish slavery in the USA, it abolished slavery in the South; the North gave it up willingly.

I have not watched the video yet, but to this point I'm wondering if you meant the Emancipation Proclamation did not abolish slavery in the USA?

1 hour ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

I have not watched the video yet, but to this point I'm wondering if you meant the Emancipation Proclamation did not abolish slavery in the USA?

No, I mean the 13th Amendment. Slavery had been abolished before 1860 in all of the States that voted for Lincoln.