Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

'Cancel Culture' Is a Dangerous, Totalitarian Trend

Muda69

26 minutes ago, Howe said:

No evidence of political statements in the entire thread yet the spin and accusations continue. This is like reading/watching CNN, MSNBC and the mainstream media fake news.

17 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Sooooo, Howie.....just went and looked at the last thread. Go ahead and explain how this post from you is specifically about high school football, or the specific topic of Michigan City Football. While you are at it, please tell us how it is not a political post.

Still fake news???? Liar

75A3C15C-3EA5-488D-AF78-F1CA9AE4B975.jpeg

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

And I suppose this was a sign outside the Michigan City Football locker room???? Noooo? 

And your post about where you work had exactly what to do with high school football? Or even more specifically, the topic of Michigan City Football? 

The non fake news answer would be absolutely nothing; but I am sure you have some kind of spin. 

Busted!

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

Busted!

A statement from a epidemiologist and a photograph of Dr. Fauci violating and ignoring his own "coronavirus rules" are not political statements. The thread was started for the purpose of celebrating the cancellation of games due to the coronavirus. Those posts are responses to the primary reason the thread was started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So the free use of foul language/swearing is now allowed on the GID?  Have noticed at least two instances of it in this thread alone, and by a GID moderator no less.

I would like to continue to donate to the GID as I have in the past however, I am not going to give cash money to be harassed by a fake "moderator" who is nothing more than a partisan for the left. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So the free use of foul language/swearing is now allowed on the GID?  Have noticed at least two instances of it in this thread alone, and by a GID moderator no less.

It has been for some time....but you just choose now to be offended snowflake? 

39 minutes ago, Howe said:

I would like to continue to donate to the GID as I have in the past however, I am not going to give cash money to be harassed by a fake "moderator" who is nothing more than a partisan for the left. 

No one is forcing you to stay snowflake. 

44 minutes ago, Howe said:

A statement from a epidemiologist and a photograph of Dr. Fauci violating and ignoring his own "coronavirus rules" are not political statements. The thread was started for the purpose of celebrating the cancellation of games due to the coronavirus. Those posts are responses to the primary reason the thread was started.

BS...and it had NOTHING to do with the topic....I knew you would spin it. Important to note too, since you are overly sensitive about my role here, I have never removed one of those posts or lock3d topics here in the OOB. In fact, I would say you have had free reign here, just like every other poster....so much for the partisan for the left bs. But keep spinning.......snowflake 

• Disdain 1

On 9/10/2020 at 9:35 AM, Muda69 said:

Multiple times my posts have been hidden/deleted with no simple PM sent by a GID moderator as to why.  Same with entire threads being deleted/hidden or moved with zero explanation, aka transparency, given.      And I understand that as private enterprise the GID is under no legal obligation to provide such transparency but such simple actions would go a long to way to maintain good faith between the GID overlords and regular members.

I have sent you multiple messages over the countless years when I have edited or hidden your posts.   

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

It has been for some time....but you just choose now to be offended snowflake?

Who said it offended me, Irishman?   And are you sure the late, great Tim Adams would approve of such language being allowed on his creation?  I don't think so.

“Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.” - Spencer W. Kimball

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I have sent you multiple messages over the countless years when I have edited or hidden your posts.   

You appear to be the exception Mr. Nowlin, not the rule.  And I thank you for your considerate behavior.

• Disdain 2

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Who said it offended me, Irishman?   And are you sure the late, great Tim Adams would approve of such language being allowed on his creation?  I don't think so.

“Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.” - Spencer W. Kimball

If you were not offended, why even mention it? lol

But a simple search of the word in this forum produces these examples.....

And out of 23 appearances of that word, I use it 4 times; yet you somehow not being offended, choose to bring it up now?? lol

On 7/22/2019 at 8:00 AM, Muda69 said:

So voting for one of two evils is "giving a shit"?  No thanks.  

On 3/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, Howe said:

Dr. Fauci stated his opinion regarding evidence as a prophylaxis against COVID-19. Apparently doctors throughout the world do not give a shit what Dr. Fauci says as they continue to prescribe the medication to their patients. Dr. Fauci is just a man. He was an alarmist during the HIV outbreak as well. He is not the almighty.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:24 PM, Muda69 said:

It's probably not the Russian/Chinese/North Koreans/terrorists he is arming himself against, especially if other in Jennings County know he has a nice little stockpile when the shit hits the fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

If you were not offended, why even mention it? lol

Because as a GID moderator, and supposedly as a "molder of young minds" shouldn't you at the very least hold yourself to higher standard regarding your speech and choice of words?  Are you 100% sure no students at New Haven High School read this forum?

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

But a simple search of the word in this forum produces these examples.....

And out of 23 appearances of that word, I use it 4 times; yet you somehow not being offended, choose to bring it up now?? lol

I don't read 100% of the posts in the OOB forum, so I probably missed the other X appearance of "that word". Also interesting you now refer to that swear world in that matter..................

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

You have a role with GID and you curse and name call?  I understand disagreeing, but in this manner? 

More than just disagreeing. If someone wants to accuse me of doing things that are not true or accurate, I will fire back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

No one said you shouldn't defend yourself....just didn't know that required cursing and name calling members as a GID official.

Moderators have levied penalties against GID members for much less.

On the main forum, yes...but here? Going to have to completely disagree that ANYONE has been penalized for less...and especially MUCH less. 

Cancel Culture story of the day:   https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Churchill-At-Skidmore-curiosity-might-get-you-15553968.php#photo-19749392

SARATOGA SPRINGS — David Peterson, an art professor at Skidmore College, says it was "civic interest and curiosity" that led him and his wife to attend a pro-police rally in Congress Park in late July.

The Petersons arrived at a little after 7 p.m., watched from the edge of the crowd as "Back the Blue" supporters and counter-protesters traded barbs, then departed to get dinner after about 20 minutes. Neither thought much of it.

But that brief and quiet presence at the rally infuriated some student activists at the Saratoga Springs school. They're demanding that Skidmore College fire a professor who has taught at the school for 31 years.

"Tonight, I and other Skidmore students witnessed Profs. David Peterson and Andrea Peterson at an anti-Black Lives Matter protest," reads an email template posted to social media. "We demand the immediate dismissal of both Skidmore staff members for engaging in hateful conduct that threatens Black Skidmore students."

A supposedly damning photo of the Petersons (Andrea is not actually a Skidmore employee) circulated by students shows them standing at the rally, which was advertised as a "positive, all-inclusive event" designed to humanize and support officers. The Petersons weren't wearing pro-police T-shirts. They weren't carrying a banner, holding a sign or waving a black-and-blue flag. They appear to just be listening.

But merely listening to an opinion that some Skidmore students find objectionable is apparently enough to get a professor in hot water.

"What's troubling is the mob mentality," Peterson, 61, told me. "All of a sudden, you have all these people who hate your guts and they know nothing about you."

On a recent day, Peterson arrived at his classroom to find a notice taped to the door. "STOP," it demanded. "By entering this class you are crossing a campus-wide picket line and breaking the boycott against Professor David Peterson."

"This is not a safe environment for marginalized students," the notice also said, after vaguely accusing Peterson of past sexism and transphobia. "By continuing to take this course you are enabling bigoted behavior on this campus."

The boycott of the professor's jewelry and metal classes has largely succeeded. Peterson said one course no longer has enrollees; two others have only a small number of students remaining.

It's a weird world when taking a jewelry class amounts to a brave stand against peer pressure. But a Skidmore student told me those who oppose the boycott of Peterson (or just find it insanely silly) are afraid to speak up. They're intimidated.

The college's administration is saying very little. In response to a request for comment from President Marc Conner, I received a platitude-filled statement by email that had been sent to the Skidmore community about the controversy.

Without naming Peterson, it noted he had departed the rally long before a controversial confrontation between police and Black Lives Matter protesters. The statement expressed "unequivocal support" for First Amendment rights while adding that the school is "committed to fostering a working and learning environment in which all its members can flourish."

Peterson, though, said he has been disappointed by a lack of support from the administration, which, he said, is investigating the students' allegation of bias. (A Skidmore spokesperson disliked the word "investigation"; the school is following "various processes by which we handle different matters," she said.) Peterson was also disappointed that student activists had not reached out to him before launching their campaign.

That's remarkable, when you think about it.

Wouldn't you want to hear somebody's side of the story before demanding he be fired? Wouldn't you want to engage in some sort of discussion?

The students don't seem interested, which isn't unusual on college campuses. As I've noted before, the notion that higher education is supposed to be about debate and free speech is losing to a campus cancel culture that disrespects dissent and demands conformity.

But the attempt to cancel Peterson isn't even about free speech, because he never said anything. He would have had every right to loudly participate in the pro-police rally, but that's not why he and his wife came to Congress Park.

"We were curious about what was going on," he wrote to the Skidmore student newspaper. "Given the painful events that continue to unfold across this nation, I guess we just felt compelled to see first-hand how all of this was playing out in our own community."

Peterson described himself as relatively conservative compared to most Skidmore professors, but said he rarely expresses views on campus and doesn't believe students are aware of his politics.

But maybe they can sense that he's a bit different, he half joked.

When I asked about police and protests, Peterson's answer epitomized reasoned moderation. He said law enforcement need to be held accountable for the brutality we've seen too often, but added that defunding or weakening police departments would only harm society's most vulnerable.

I would have loved to ask student activists why that was objectionable, but didn't get the chance. Inquiries sent to three students associated with Pass the Mic, a campus group that has championed the anti-Peterson effort, were not returned by deadline.

Peterson said he has been buoyed by the quiet support of other Skidmore professors, who may realize that nobody on campus is safe if merely listening becomes a fireable offense. One, Peterson said, offered words that seemed especially wise.

Orthodoxies always need heretics, the colleague said. If they can't find them, they'll create them.

If anything it is the students who instigated this canceling of Mr. Peterson who should be removed from the college.

Spotify is reportedly fighting with employees about hosting episodes of Joe Rogan's podcast that some staff consider transphobic: https://www.businessinsider.com/spotify-report-joe-rogan-transphobia-fight-employees2020-9

Spotify is facing a heated internal struggle with employees over whether it should host episodes of "The Joe Rogan Experience" that some staff consider transphobic, Vice reports.

According to Vice, CEO Daniel Ek addressed staff concerns at an all-hands meeting on Wednesday. "In the case of Joe Rogan, a total of ten meetings have been held with various groups and individuals to hear their respective concerns," Ek said, per three sources who spoke to Vice on condition of anonymity.

Sources shared questions with Vice that had been submitted for the Q&A portion of the meeting. These questions, which shortened the name of the podcast to JRE, suggest friction is building between Spotify's leadership and its staff over the podcast.

"Why has Spotify chosen to ignore Spectrum Erg's guidance about transphobic content in the JRE catalog?" said one, referring to an internal employee representation group.

"Many LGBTQAI+/ally Spotifiers feel unwelcome and alienated because of leadership's response in JRE  conversations. What is your message to those employees?" read another.

Sources told Vice one episode in particular has been highlighted by Spotify staff, in which Joe Rogan interviewed Abigail Shreier about her book "Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters."

"Joe Rogan and the episode in question have been reviewed extensively," Ek said in the all-hands. "The fact that we aren't changing our position doesn't mean we aren't listening. It just means we made a different judgment call."

Ek also appeared to warn employees not to leak to the media if they want to be included in company conversations about moderation. "If we can't have open, confidential debates, we will have to move those discussions to closed doors," he said.

Joe Rogan, who has 9.5 million followers on YouTube, signed an exclusive deal with Spotify in May. This was seen as a huge win for the platform as it builds out its podcasting empire, competing with Apple, Amazon, and Google.

The back-and-forth has shown Spotify will increasingly have to deal with moderation issues not dissimilar to those at social media companies like Facebook and Twitter. The company already removed older episodes of "The Joe Rogan Experience" featuring the right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, whose own podcast got booted off the platform in 2018 for breaching its rules on "hate content."

Per Vice, it has also removed some other Joe Rogan episodes which feature far-right figures.

My message to those employees would be to not listen to those JRE episodes, and if that still doesn't do it then here is the door............................