Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Can a NCAA college student athlete become an official?

Tommy

Question

Is there any rule that a pair of current college student athletes that I know  that have recently had their football season cancelled and have returned home looking for work become a high school sports official without effecting their NCAA eligibility?

3 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

I am certainly not an expert on NCAA eligibility. But I know of a number of instances where college students have become licensed IHSAA football officials. PM me and I’ll point you in the right direction.

I was way back when. IUPUI actually had a class in it; I got licensed in football, softball, baseball, and swimming. 

• Like 1

Yes. There was an all-conference offensive lineman from Franklin College who officiated the past 2 years. He would work a HS game on Friday night and play his college game the next day. I talked with a friend who worked a scrimmage last night with a guy who will be a senior player at Marian. The travel  for D1/D2 would normally make it hard for them to work Friday nights, and I don't know what limitations they would have to earn money like this while under scholarship. I"m thinking it could be OK. But D3/NAIA doesn't appear to be a problem.