Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

So at Fishers HS Athletic Ability Trumps Harassment. And the IHSAA Agrees.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/02/22/fishers-high-school-swimmer-suspension-botched-hse-school-board-ihsaa/2949529002/

What’s wrong with you, HSE school board? No, really. What’s wrong with you?

You have on the Fishers boys swimming team, in your own words, a kid who was making the pool a "hostile environment." As a result, in your own words, there was “fear exhibited by female swimmers.” And you’re saying the reason behind that fear, the “three allegations of sexual harassment” – in your own words, HSE school board – “were substantiated.”

That’s pretty much what you’re saying.

And you’re saying this:

He can swim this weekend in the state meet. He can represent Fishers on the biggest stage. And he can do that because ... why?

Because the girls swimming season ended weeks ago. Which means there’s nobody left for the boy to harass.

Seriously.

That’s my reading of the official statement from the HSE board. Here, see it for yourself (emphasis mine), specifically where it says: “Noting that because the girls swim season had concluded and that joint competition and practice were no longer taking place, the swim environment had been altered sufficiently to allow the male swimmer, no-contact provision enforced, to resume participation on the boys swim team.”

You see that? The kid has a no-contact provision with the girls swimmers, and that remains in place. But he can compete again. Because the girls aren't around anymore to have "fear exhibited."

And then the school board pats itself on the back by noting: “This affirmation assures persistence of a safe environment for all students as they continue their education within the school corporation.”

It also assures persistence of a possible state title for Fishers. Goooooo Tigers!

Seriously, HSE board. And seriously, Fishers. What’s wrong with you? Have you lost your minds? What kind of message are you sending? Not to the boy in question. Forget him. Not to the world at large. Never mind us.

What message are you sending to the girls you’re pretty much saying he caused to have “fear,” those girls whose “three allegations of sexual harassment were substantiated”?

This message:

Sorry, girls. But he’s really good at swimming, so ...

After being suspended earlier this season for this very reason, and after missing too many meets to qualify for the postseason, the kid wasn’t eligible to swim last week at the sectional meet at HSE. But Fishers High petitioned the IHSAA for relief, and the IHSAA allowed the kid to swim because, near as I can tell, that’s the IHSAA’s sole purpose for existing: to take a bad situation and screw it up worse.

At least this time the IHSAA has a concrete reason for being so lost: It has a board of directors composed of 19 athletics directors from around the state, with one AD elected president of the elite board.

Guess whose AD is the current president of the IHSAA’s board of directors? Yup: the guy from Fishers. His name is Jim Brown. 

Oh, high school athletics in our state has an abject lack of leadership. But don’t get me started on the IHSAA. Not today. The abomination at Fishers is bad enough today.

Disgusting.  All Around.

And have pretty much lost all respect for the governing aspect of the IHSAA.

• Like 5

Yeah, pretty much agree with everything.  WTHR-13 (and I'm sure other Indy news stations) has covered this and the statement above is exactly how they reported.  HSE school board has some 'splainin to do!

Edit...... I don't think the IHSAA had any choice in the matter.  It was the school board's decision and the IHSAA had no choice.  Bobby Cox was even quoted as saying "this is sickening".

Edited by Staxawax

13 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Edit...... I don't think the IHSAA had any choice in the matter.  

According to Mr. Doyel they did have a choice:

After being suspended earlier this season for this very reason, and after missing too many meets to qualify for the postseason, the kid wasn’t eligible to swim last week at the sectional meet at HSE. But Fishers High petitioned the IHSAA for relief, and the IHSAA allowed the kid to swim because, near as I can tell, that’s the IHSAA’s sole purpose for existing: to take a bad situation and screw it up worse.

At least this time the IHSAA has a concrete reason for being so lost: It has a board of directors composed of 19 athletics directors from around the state, with one AD elected president of the elite board.

Guess whose AD is the current president of the IHSAA’s board of directors? Yup: the guy from Fishers. His name is Jim Brown. 

Now I can understand such a petition for relief being granted in something like the death of a close relative.  But relief because you were suspended earlier in the season?  I don't think so.

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 2

I'm assuming it's a money thing. Carmel just got by with it in wrestling. 8 kids and coaches got caught cheating. What's their punishment a couple forfeits and a go ahead and wrestle in the sectional. If these 2 things happened at a small school its see you later and the book thrown at them. But no not Fishers and Carmel because its revenue for the ihsaa. Its absolutely sickening what that kid done. Well done Bobby Cox you're doing a great job. What a joke. Time for you to go

• Like 1

On February 22, 2019 at 2:50 PM, Muda69 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/02/22/fishers-high-school-swimmer-suspension-botched-hse-school-board-ihsaa/2949529002/

Disgusting.  All Around.

And have pretty much lost all respect for the governing aspect of the IHSAA.

Sad state of affairs, assuming the Indianapolis Star has their facts straight. Don't know who I distrust the most IS or IHSAA.

• Like 2

The kid has a no-contact provision with the girls swimmers, and that remains in place. But he can compete again. Because the girls aren't around anymore to have "fear exhibited."

Anyone that knows anything about the sport of swimming knows the girls are "still around".  Swimming is a year round sport and just because the High School season is over doesn't mean the girls aren't at the pool every afternoon for club practice.  In fact the Indiana Swimming Senior Short Course Championships are set for Mar 15-17, therefore there is no time off for boys or girls from the end of High School season to the beginning of club practice.

Fishers AD has to be well aware of this in that it's Fishers High School pool that is home to the Fishers Area Swimming Tigers (FAST) club swim team.  

Using "because the girls aren't around anymore" may have pulled the wool over many eyes, but not those familiar with the sport of swimming.  Shame on you Fishers administration and HSE school board.  

Edited by fbofficial
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 9:44 PM, JQWL said:

Isn't that what sexual harassment is? Locker room talk that is outside the locker room is sexual harassment. Assuming Fishers does not have co-ed locker rooms.

@gonzoron's making a broader statement in that there are plenty of people who used and bought this explanation when it came from/about someone much higher up the ladder ... all the way to the top no doubt.  I'm fairly certain, seeing many of his posts, especially those in OOB, that he doesn't condone the behavior and is, in fact, set against it.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:00 AM, Impartial_Observer said:

Tony Katz interview with Bobby Cox, this is the IHSAA's take on the situation.

https://omny.fm/shows/tony-katz-and-the-morning-news/bobby-cox-commissioner-of-ihsaa

In my opinion, this situation rests squarely on the shoulders of the school.

Bobby Cox is embarrassing as a leader.  The IHSAA could have easily not granted the waiver.   I agree that the bulk of the blame rests with the school and this kids parents but the IHSAA has quite a bit of culpability. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Bobby Cox is embarrassing as a leader.  The IHSAA could have easily not granted the waiver.   I agree that the bulk of the blame rests with the school and this kids parents but the IHSAA has quite a bit of culpability. 

He was enrolled, he was taking class, via elearning, the school was the one seeking the waiver. Cox clearly states it's the IHSAA's position that their protocol is to grant the waivers if the school requests it, I really don't see how it's the IHSAA's fault. It's not the IHSAA's place to discipline member schools' athletes. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:38 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

He was enrolled, he was taking class, via elearning, the school was the one seeking the waiver. Cox clearly states it's the IHSAA's position that their protocol is to grant the waivers if the school requests it, I really don't see how it's the IHSAA's fault. It's not the IHSAA's place to discipline member schools' athletes. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

If all they are going to do is rubber stamp every request then remove them from the process.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:57 PM, Grover said:

If all they are going to do is rubber stamp every request then remove them from the process.  

Agreed.  BC woud nto say what situationa the waiver is not allowed but lead us to believe that the school gets to waive whatever.  The IHSAA shoudl ahve denied waiver but as previpously stated what are the school adminstration saying - sexual harassment doesn't matter and it is my kid sexually harrassed I am taking leagal action against the student and the school for not doing enough.  Someone mentioned money- I bet his daddy has deep pockets.

The IHSAA always blames the rule makers.

Coaches want this so we cant change it, officials want this we cant change it , schools want this we cant change it.

Then WTF do you do - all the issues are in the IHSAAhandbook.