Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big Ten = no football

Julio

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

So the University of Alabama illegally coerced or forced this left tackle to play?

Absolutely not. On the other hand, they told him they could keep him safe, and he believed them. With whom do you think a jury’s sympathies might lie, the kid whose NFL career is over before it starts, or the University/conference who said they could protect him, even when other schools/conferences had  folded?

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Absolutely not. On the other hand, they told him they could keep him safe, and he believed them. With whom do you think a jury’s sympathies might lie, the kid whose NFL career is over before it starts, or the University/conference who said they could protect him, even when other schools/conferences had  folded?

Frankly that's his mistake, unless he actually signed some sort of written contract with the institution to that effect.  Does a university tell it's scholarship athletes that they will keep them safe from injuries?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

Fast forward to the year 2023. A guy who was once slated to be a Top 10 NFL pick at left tackle from Alabama is sitting in a courtroom, the plaintiff in a multi million dollar lawsuit against the University and the SEC. Although every other conference decided to sit it out until Spring, the SEC went ahead and had a Fall season. The kid contracted COVID-19 and, unfortunately, was one of the ones who experienced serious and permanent cardiac damage. His NFL career derailed, he’s now looking for a different kind of payday.

He’s sitting there listening to the President of the University on the witness stand trying to convince a jury that he took the safety of the student athletes seriously, even though every other football conference canceled or postponed. How do you think he’ll do?

These are the kinds of scenarios that cause University presidents to wake up in a cold sweat.

The threat of a lawsuit is the only logical explanation for this.  I can't believe there are many sane people that think kids have a greater opportunity to contract covid or any other virus on the football field than they would out socializing.  Some of the players will be concerned about the virus, but most see the same data as the rest of us and know that the 20-29 yr old age bracket is at a minimal risk(not zero) of getting complications from this virus. 

2 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

The threat of a lawsuit is the only logical explanation for this.  I can't believe there are many sane people that think kids have a greater opportunity to contract covid or any other virus on the football field than they would out socializing.  Some of the players will be concerned about the virus, but most see the same data as the rest of us and know that the 20-29 yr old age bracket is at a minimal risk(not zero) of getting complications from this virus. 

Safety should always be paramount.  Case closed.

IMO the Big 10 and the PAC canceling their seasons have nothing to with COVID. That is just their excuse they are telling everyone. But it to stop the College Athlete Unity formed by the Big 10 players and the WeAreUnited movement started by the PAC players. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I'm not against safety, I just don't believe players that choose to play are at any greater risk playing football than they would be doing any of the other activities twenty-something's like to do.  I also believe most twenty-somethings know they are low risk which is why we see cases increasing among this demographic. 

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Frankly that's his mistake, unless he actually signed some sort of written contract with the institution to that effect.  Does a university tell it's scholarship athletes that they will keep them safe from injuries?

And what else is the University saying when they adopt the stance that “others may find it unsafe, but we believe it’s safe to play.” 

36 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Make up your own mind.

You’d be a great defense juror, Muda. However, in this instance (as perhaps in others as well) IMO you are outside the mainstream of thought in this country. My sense is you don’t disagree.

10 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You’d be a great defense juror, Muda. 

Thank you.  Recently finished watching the new series "Perry Mason" on HBO.   It has inspired me.

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

However, in this instance (as perhaps in others as well) IMO you are outside the mainstream of thought in this country. My sense is you don’t disagree.

Yes, independent and contrary thought is becoming rare in this country.  

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

Nebraska is doing the same thing. Options are quickly running out. My guess is the SEC would let OSU in. Nebraska back in the Big 12 for a year? 

I dont suspect that Nebraska has much loyalty to the Big Ten.  The heats and minds of longtime Husker fans remain in The Big 8 and the Big 12.  NU is a bit of a free agent, and I could see them making the jump back to The Big 12, which now seems much more stable than it did 5 years ago.

Iowa is an interesting animal.  The program has endured a major black eye this past year with all the racial issues within the football program.  And Iowa cant be too pleased as the BT has stretched out all the way to the east coast.  Iowa and Nebraska have a tremendous growing rivalry.  Iowa State has also improved dramatically over the past 5 years.  I could see big brother Nebraska convincing Iowa to bolt and head west with the Huskers back to The B12.  

Edited by DT

No school in the B1G is going to play this fall if the B1G stays by their decision.  It's in the bylaws, so if Nebraska, Iowa or OSU for that matter, make the decision to play football this fall in another league, that will be permanent. No going back.  Sacrificing their $50 million annual treasure chest. It simply won't happen. 

25 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

No school in the B1G is going to play this fall if the B1G stays by their decision.  It's in the bylaws, so if Nebraska, Iowa or OSU for that matter, make the decision to play football this fall in another league, that will be permanent. No going back.  Sacrificing their $50 million annual treasure chest. It simply won't happen. 

I would be willing to bet that the SEC would be willing to supplement OSU if they wanted to come to the SEC. 

6 hours ago, Lemmy said:

I'm not against safety, I just don't believe players that choose to play are at any greater risk playing football than they would be doing any of the other activities twenty-something's like to do.  I also believe most twenty-somethings know they are low risk which is why we see cases increasing among this demographic. 

EXACTLY.  The safest place for many of these student athletes is on a football field practicing regularly outdoors with less than 120 folks while getting tested regularly, yet now that they are not playing football they will have more free time on their hands...while attending class with thousands of other students.

Anyone know what the normal 18 to 22 year old male does with additional free time?

This was a knee-jerk decision based on liability and not data or facts.  Never thought I would miss Jim Delaney.

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

hard to argue the logic and if those presidents are that upset about this decision, then perhaps the B10 heads back to being closer to the Big 10 instead of Big 14 !!   

Id love for Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska to go bye bye. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Iowa State, Pittsburgh and Missouri join..those schools make more sense than the 3 i mentioned first.

Edited by TheStatGuy

2 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I would have loved to see the power 5 do a bubble type situation.

7 hours ago, Gipper said:

Apparently not. The SEC, Big 12, and ACC are still moving forward. Props to those conferences. They apparently have more of a spine than the Big 10 and the Pac 12. The Pac 12 doesn't surprise me one bit, but the Big Ten is a head scratcher. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BTF said:

Apparently not. The SEC, Big 12, and ACC are still moving forward. Props to those conferences. They apparently have more of a spine than the Big 10 and the Pac 12. The Pac 12 doesn't surprise me one bit, but the Big Ten is a head scratcher. 

Yep, they’ll test positive after attending the Friday night frat party on campus that they would not have attended had they had a contest to prepare for the next day.

Spineless.

34 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Yep, they’ll test positive after attending the Friday night frat party on campus that they would not have attended had they had a contest to prepare for the next day.

Spineless.

That's exactly what will happen. Kids are safer on the football field. Note that I said kids (18-21 year olds). What do kids do? They go to Florida on spring break when everyone tells them not to. They throw Covid-19 parties because they think they are invincible. We all know what happens when those things transpire. Canceling sports is a disservice to the student athlete, whether high school or college. It's wrong on so many levels.

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

That's exactly what will happen. Kids are safer on the football field. Note that I said kids (18-21 year olds). What do kids do? They go to Florida on spring break when everyone tells them not to. They throw Covid-19 parties because they think they are invincible. We all know what happens when those things transpire. Canceling sports is a disservice to the student athlete, whether high school or college. It's wrong on so many levels.

You get it.

17 hours ago, BTF said:

Note that I said kids (18-21 year olds).

Individuals 18+ years of age are not "kids", they are by practically every law of the land adults.   I submit that you and others on this forum do these young adults a great disservice with your baseless assumptions that without the  "structure" of college football/athletics most if not all of them would become mindless party animals.

21 hours ago, Sacked said:

I would be willing to bet that the SEC would be willing to supplement OSU if they wanted to come to the SEC. 

From being the perennial top dog in the B1G to perennial challenger to U of A, LSU and Georgia?  Plus, all those fans that get to travel to away games at IU, U of I, etc.  I don't think the OSU fans would favor the move.