Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big Ten = no football

Julio

5 hours ago, BTF said:

How would I know? Lol, something happened. Temptation wouldn't just leave without some kind of pressure. Anyway, if I have a question for Coach Nowlin, I'll just pm him. I'm not going to engage in you gaslighting the situation. 

Oh, but you insinuating that his post was something less than honest somehow escapes the “gaslighting” standard? Got it. 

• Thanks 3
  • Disdain 1

5 hours ago, BTF said:

How would I know? Lol, something happened. Temptation wouldn't just leave without some kind of pressure. Anyway, if I have a question for Coach Nowlin, I'll just pm him. I'm not going to engage in you gaslighting the situation. 

There have been a couple of times in the past when controversial posters who flouted the few rules on the GID have been asked to leave. The admins have not been loathe to publicize those instances. I don’t see any reason this situation would be different.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

There have been a couple of times in the past when controversial posters who flouted the few rules on the GID have been asked to leave. The admins have not been loathe to publicize those instances. I don’t see any reason this situation would be different.

Concur

HOWEVER, in these 2 cases, I received a text message from one user and a PM from another, both politely asking for their accounts to be deleted.   

There was never any sort of back channel discussions about either users and talking about suspensions/bans in any way shape or form.  

• Like 1

School is Not Safe for Students - But of Course, It’s Safe for Athletes: https://deadspin.com/school-is-not-safe-for-students-but-of-course-it-s-s-1844766383

The pandemic continues to expose the glaring dysfunction in our society. This time in college sports.

Yesterday, the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill closed its campus after 130 students tested positive for COVID-19, registering a staggering 13 percent positivity rate. Students returned home just one week after move-in day to continue their education online.

But fall athletes, naturally, are still in Chapel Hill.

In the words of The Daily Tar Heel, “UNC has a clusterfuck on its hands.”

The school’s athletic program issued a statement saying, “workouts and practices will continue under the standards set by our University, health officials and department.” And that “the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches and staff, and community remains our priority.”

So students who give tuition to the school will go home and athletes who make money for the school will stay. Sounds about right.

If health and safety were actually a priority, athletes would be nowhere near the campus hot spot.

On CNN this morning, UNC student body president, Reeves Moseey, said that he does not know how the school will “be able to explain” athletes remaining on campus while students are forced back home. “How is the ACC going to be able to bring people into these communities that are seeing a rise in cases already?” Cases, of course, that are being brought in due to the influx of returning undergraduates.

On Sunday, college sports chief medical officer, Brian Hainline, worried that returning students could create “the downfall” of college sports this fall. Nearly 24 hours later, Hainline’s theory has concrete evidence with UNC and now, potentially, Notre Dame.

Notre Dame saw their COVID caseload rise from 58 to 147 overnight.

The UND football program is preparing for an outbreak not by leaving campus, but by getting back up players and coaches ready for the season.

The way college re-openings are going, UNC and Notre Dame will be the first of many institutions that will close their campus to students and let fall athletes compete.

The ACC, a conference desperate to play football in the fall, will continue to come up with any reason to play fall sports. According to CBS’s Jon Rothstein, medical personnel told one ACC President that the best option for the conference is to move athletes to remote learning and use school facilities to practice and play games.

UNC basketball player, Garrison O. Brooks, pointed out the blatant hypocrisy of the report.

When students flee for safety and athletes are left on campus, that should tell you everything you need to know about the priorities of these institutions of higher learning and their member conferences.

Big-time college athletes operate under a different set of rules that would not be acceptable for other students.

You probably knew that. But, now it’s too obvious to look away.

It's all about the Benjamins.

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

Good post, you do seem to be the voice of reason sometimes. Except when were talking Dwenger/Valpo..............jk. If Covid doesn't set the season back, Valpo/Dwenger 2020 version could be most anticipated game of the year.............north of Indianapolis anyway. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Concur

HOWEVER, in these 2 cases, I received a text message from one user and a PM from another, both politely asking for their accounts to be deleted.   

There was never any sort of back channel discussions about either users and talking about suspensions/bans in any way shape or form.  

Keep up the good work Coach and thanks for bringing me up to speed on the Temptation situation. My apologies for implying you were withholding information. I just hate to see good content leave the forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gipper said:

Have a great day everybody!!!  Let's all bear in mind we're discussing a game, and games should be fun!

It is fun!

Enhance your discussion power and enjoyment by donating and become a Booster on the GID!

It helps keep the site afloat and adds to the fun with all the Booster perks!

https://gridirondigest.net/clients/donations/

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:17 AM, Guest said:

None.  Fear of liability.

High school is playing, muddle school is playing, elementary aged local and travel leagues are playing yet the Big Ten/PAC 12 punted on first down.

Some.  In the Lafayette/West Lafayette area, for youth football, here's what's happening:

• 1A LCC - For this season, not engaging in tackle youth football outside of likely having some clinics with the high school.  Not self-contained.  Might look at activity
  • 6A Jeff - To my understanding pushing their tackle youth season to spring.  They are a self-contained program, but might be looking into playing LCC in the future.
  • 5A Harrison - Pushing their tackle youth season to spring.  They are a self-contained program although they sometimes play with WL.
  • 5A McCutcheon - Only has flag football at the youth level.  Appear to be going ahead with flag football ... they are a self-contained program.
  • 3A West Lafayette - To my understanding, debating between a clinic approach and possibly 7-on-7 self-contained.  In the past, they have tended to play with Harrison.
  • 1A Faith Christian - Doesn't play football at youth level nor at high school level.

• 3 weeks later...

Republicans Are Using Big Ten Athletes as Pawns in a Sick Game: https://deadspin.com/republicans-are-using-big-ten-athletes-as-pawns-in-a-si-1844989180

Legislators in battleground states are once again pushing for the Big Ten to resume college football this fall.

Republican legislators, that is.

Ten GOP lawmakers from various swing states — and not one Democrat — signed a letter sent to Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren and school leaders, asking them to reverse course on their decision last month to suspend play.

Big Ten presidents and chancellors voted 11-3 in August to postpone the season. Since then, the conference has been sued by student-athletes, has seen arguably its best player, Justin Fields, become the face of a push to reinstate play, and the president of the United States has pressured the league to return.

Meanwhile, the virus has proven that it can cause chronic side effects in people of all ages, and college students have shown that social distancing and wearing masks are not a top priority.

The Republicans’ open letter argues that in cancelling the season, the Big Ten would hurt local institutions and even harm the players themselves.

“These athletes are losing a vital part of student life and are becoming less marketable to future employers with each passing week. Additionally, our local universities stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars that support vital student scholarships,” it read.

Less marketable?

The authors admit these athletes are important to local and national economies, and they clearly understand the business that comes with major college sports, but as a group, how vocal have these legislators been about allowing players to be rightfully paid?

A study has shown that student-athletes, if compensated fairly, would be earning up to seven figures over their careers at these universities.

It’s flagrantly hypocritical to claim interest in a player’s financial well-being without also advocating for them to earn compensation for their work.

But the hypocrisy is not surprising, cause this move to get the Big Ten back on the field is not really about the athletes. It’s all about political power.

The goal isn’t really to give these students a better life. It’s for these state lawmakers to boost their own political profiles while drumming up crucial votes for Trump and other Republicans come November.

The strategy is clear. Cast aside the best interests of student-athletes. Roll the dice on their health in a cynical ploy. It’s an approach the president himself has tried using to his advantage.

“The Big Ten should reverse course as soon as possible and do everything possible to help their students restart extracurricular activities safely,” said the letter’s author, Lee Chatfield, the speaker of Michigan’s state House.

It seems wild to me that Chatfield could truly believe right now that football, or any other close-range extracurricular activity, would be in the best interest of anyone in these college towns.

The letter was signed by GOP state officials in Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

Never get it twisted — while there might not be football in the Big Ten this fall, there are still games being played. This is a political play from these lawmakers to boost Republican turnout in vital swing states this November.

It’s never been about the health of these students, their way of life, or their well-being.

It’s all about politics.

• Like 1