Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Speed or Strength

Trick question the 5’10 kid is the TE in a run based offense who basically plays line lol

in all seriousness would lean towards the strength but regardless of either, if 1 kid doesn’t know the playbook as well and has bad technique, the other kid will start. 

I know for a fact that that many teams in high school have a big kid who is on the sidelines. I’ve seen where a 6’5 300lb kid is on the sidelines over 5’11 kids and I’m sure it comes down to the 5’11 kid just simply does a better job. 

6 hours ago, brvheart63 said:

You have a lineman who is 6' foot and weighs 225lb. He can bench 270 and runs the 40-yard dash in 5.4. You have another lineman who is 5' 10" tall weighs 180. He can bench 190 lbs. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.7. Which lineman would you want to play first?

O line or D line?

If O, G or T. If D is it a 3-4 or 4-3 set?

Not enough info to answer question. 

9 hours ago, brvheart63 said:

You have a lineman who is 6' foot and weighs 225lb. He can bench 270 and runs the 40-yard dash in 5.4. You have another lineman who is 5' 10" tall weighs 180. He can bench 190 lbs. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.7. Which lineman would you want to play first?

I want the kid who with his fellow lineman can control the LOS. If I control the LOS I win the game. 

17 hours ago, brvheart63 said:

Knowledge is the most important quality in a lineman. But assuming both are equally knowledgeable, I would go with the stronger kid, and in this case, substantially stronger. But like others have said, it depends on the position and/or scheme. 

I wouldn’t feel comfortable sticking a 5.4 kid at guard for example. 

Add 15-20 lbs in weight and 30 lbs to bench and I’ll take the 4.7 kid every time. 

4 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Knowledge is the most important quality in a lineman. But assuming both are equally knowledgeable, I would go with the stronger kid, and in this case, substantially stronger. But like others have said, it depends on the position and/or scheme. 

I wouldn’t feel comfortable sticking a 5.4 kid at guard for example. 

Add 15-20 lbs in weight and 30 lbs to bench and I’ll take the 4.7 kid every time. 

13 hours ago, SenatorFan said:

I want the kid who with his fellow lineman can control the LOS. If I control the LOS I win the game. 

21 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Trick question the 5’10 kid is the TE in a run based offense who basically plays line lol

in all seriousness would lean towards the strength but regardless of either, if 1 kid doesn’t know the playbook as well and has bad technique, the other kid will start. 

I know for a fact that that many teams in high school have a big kid who is on the sidelines. I’ve seen where a 6’5 300lb kid is on the sidelines over 5’11 kids and I’m sure it comes down to the 5’11 kid just simply does a better job. 

I think it may depend on the class as well as the kid.  Unfortunately, I don't recall the kid's name, but back in 2010, 1A Churubusco had a kid that played offensive guard.  He was definitively smaller than the rest of the line and definitively smaller than the LCC defense that he was facing that night, but if I recall correctly, not a single sack or backfield hit was attributable to the guy that he was blocking.  That kid was phenomenal for his [lack of] size, but also his effectiveness.  He was very quick and seemed to understand body leverage very well.  Size is probably the "sight unseen" answer, but in the case of that kid from Churubusco, he didn't let that size get in his way at all.

On 2/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, brvheart63 said:

It depends on the the offense you are running

• Thanks 1

How big are your splits?   Who is smarter?   Who is more confident in what they are doing?   

Seen a lot of kids who can run a good 40 but have horrible "feet".   Give me the kid who can bend at the knees and not his waist, knows what to do, has proper footwork and most importantly PLAYS HARD!