Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Last Minute Decisions (IHSAA)

I think you have to watch the data and how many teams have to cancel or suspend the season.  Since it has come this far it would be unfair to pull the plug today.  Now if next weeks teams are reporting positive cases all over you may need to look at the data.  Several schools are not playing a scrimmage to protect their team and staff.  Each school/corporation has their thoughts and best way to handle the situation.  We need to respect the people making those decisions.  Plus now you need to players and staff to adhere to the guidelines and not do anything stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Football Guru 25 said:

Do any of you think the IHSAA will pull a last minute decision to cancel scrimmages and seasons?

No. I think when the season does get shut down, itll happen during week.. Not day of. 

it's hard telling.  I was shocked to the MAC give up when they did and even more so when the Big Ten and PAC 12 did a few days later.  As for the Big XII, they say they evaluated the research differently, and as Bull Shannon (bald bailiff from Night Court in the 1980s) would say...OOOOKAY! 

I'm not pulling for cancelations, suspensions, or worse yet CONTRACTIONS, but there is a serious thing going on.  Don't bother quoting me any BS statistics as viruses act in a way we can't comprehend. 

6 minutes ago, tango said:

I don't think the IHSAA is going to pull anything until tournament time rolls around.  They have left decisions to local officials and local officials are working hard to get things in place.  

I think you are correct.  Just like what happened with youth baseball this summer and what's happening with youth football.  My boys' travel baseball teams stayed intact this summer and picked up games with other programs that stayed intact and found USSSA or local tournaments that had enough teams compete to make it viable for tournaments to still function.  In some cases, there might only be a total of five teams in a division whereas, in the past there may have been a dozen, and the tournament would run just a couple of days instead of three or even four days, but they played. 

In this case, for the season, you leave it to the teams to schedule their own games and handle their own delays/cancellations/etc.  By the time the regular season ends, you take a look at the landscape.  It may end up that it's an unofficial post-season that doesn't see a state tourney or an abbreviated tourney where you see something like something up to regionals or maybe even starting with modified regionals that turns into something more like a bowl series or, if everyone's still standing, you move forward with the state tourney.  If no one's left standing, then it looks kind of like some youth baseball leagues looked this past summer ... about half the games of a regular season and no all-star tourney.

It will be like major league baseball.  A game may be called off at any time

Student behavior will determine if the season plays out

They are saying the 2nd wave this winter is coming - no idea but that is why many colleges are done by Thanksgiving and not going back to February

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

In this case, for the season, you leave it to the teams to schedule their own games and handle their own delays/cancellations/etc.  By the time the regular season ends, you take a look at the landscape.  It may end up that it's an unofficial post-season that doesn't see a state tourney or an abbreviated tourney where you see something like something up to regionals or maybe even starting with modified regionals that turns into something more like a bowl series or, if everyone's still standing, you move forward with the state tourney.  If no one's left standing, then it looks kind of like some youth baseball leagues looked this past summer ... about half the games of a regular season and no all-star tourney.

Yep.  I'm just spit-balling, but if COVID restrictions start to ease up and stadiums can bring in more fans, then I think it is more likely we see a "normal" tournament.  If not, then the IHSAA has less incentive to conduct the tournament.  They makes their football money in 3 weekends - Regional, Semi-State & State.  If the fans are limited to 250/500/750 at game, then the IHSAA isn't going to make enough to justify doing it.    

4 minutes ago, tango said:

Yep.  I'm just spit-balling, but if COVID restrictions start to ease up and stadiums can bring in more fans, then I think it is more likely we see a "normal" tournament.  If not, then the IHSAA has less incentive to conduct the tournament.  They makes their football money in 3 weekends - Regional, Semi-State & State.  If the fans are limited to 250/500/750 at game, then the IHSAA isn't going to make enough to justify doing it.    

On a related note, it looks like Dubois County HD is going to allow 50% capacity at Southridge.  Gibson to be announced soon.

Short answer: No. We can keep speculating and even distorting things to fit our viewpoint, but all we can do is look at data. 

Right now the biggest thing is we have entered the last two weeks of Phase 4.5 (set to expire Aug. 27)

https://www.regenstrief.org/covid-dashboard/

If you check out the data the state has said is most important (hospitalizations, ICU utilization, and deaths) there are a lot of green arrows in the trend data by county. (Allen County and Lake seem to be the main outliers). The question is if these trends continue, will the state move to Phase 5 and  open up games to more spectators.

Just now, oldtimeqb said:

Short answer: No. We can keep speculating and even distorting things to fit our viewpoint, but all we can do is look at data. 

Right now the biggest thing is we have entered the last two weeks of Phase 4.5 (set to expire Aug. 27)

https://www.regenstrief.org/covid-dashboard/

If you check out the data the state has said is most important (hospitalizations, ICU utilization, and deaths) there are a lot of green arrows in the trend data by county. (Allen County and Lake seem to be the main outliers). The question is if these trends continue, will the state move to Phase 5 and  open up games to more spectators.

Marion County Department of Public Health will not be that aggressive even if the state moves to Phase 5.