Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2019/2020

Coach Nowlin

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

630 BIG10 Network 

may check in on it if the abc national game is a dud and of course after the Irish play the "Rebecca" Lobos of New Mexico w/o their fearless leader, Bob Davie.

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

1)  With who? 

2) Isn't the goal to score points? 

3) PU best players are WR and QB

4) OL best asset is PASS PRO not RUN BLOCKING 

no doubt they are used to the Air Raid passing attack playing in B12 

I just think a balanced attack would be best to keep a good defensive team like TCU honest.  But make it fun--reverse, direct snap, need to catch 'em napping.

Edited by Gipper

You aren't kidding, Gipper. It is incredibly disappointing for the young man and the team. I'll admit, as each injury piles up, bowl prospects look bleaker and bleaker. However, I will not put it past any Brohm coached team to make it in spite of all odds. The remainder of this season will certainly be his stiffest challenge yet! 

1 hour ago, boilerfan87 said:

You aren't kidding, Gipper. It is incredibly disappointing for the young man and the team. I'll admit, as each injury piles up, bowl prospects look bleaker and bleaker. However, I will not put it past any Brohm coached team to make it in spite of all odds. The remainder of this season will certainly be his stiffest challenge yet! 

We actually have some depth at LB— I think Jaylan Alexander and Cornel Jones will get more PT.

Too lazy and disappointed to look it up, but I think we’ll over 50% of the roster is freshmen and sophomore’s eligibility wise. We have zero depth and the line play, especially O line, is atrocious. I’m conflicted on putting blame on Brohm for not fixing the line in 3 years, or giving him a pass due to the youth. Tiller at least had veterans to build good lines around in year 1. Could Brohm really not develop any of Hazells recruits?

Edited by Boilernation

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Too lazy and disappointed to look it up, but I think we’ll over 50% of the roster is freshmen and sophomore’s eligibility wise. We have zero depth and the line play, especially O line, is atrocious. I’m conflicted on putting blame on Brohm for not fixing the line in 3 years, or giving him a pass due to the youth. Tiller at least had veterans to build good lines around in year 1. Could Brohm really not develop any of Hazells recruits?

I know how you all are on rankings: TCU’s defense ranks 9th in the nation...

5 hours ago, Boilernation said:

He has made do with what there was, but there wasn't much that Hazel recruited well. McCann and Hermanns. Both start, at least when healthy, which has been off and on for both. The offensive line is what takes the longest to recruit and develop. His first year recruits are just redshirt sophomores and are getting baptized by fire after having not played much last year, where they had quite a bit of experience, largely due to grad transfers. The jury will still be out for a year or two on Brohm's o-line recruiting, but it is too early to judge just yet. 

Outside of the line, much of the players Hazel recruited are no longer on the team. It seems as that was likely a good thing, as they were not P5 level recruits for the most part. This team is very young and injuries are killing what little experience they do have. The talent is there and will get better as they grow. They may not make a bowl this year, but I see no reason to panic. 

Look at UK and Stoops. They were very average as he worked to put that program together.  Last year in year 6 they were finally able to put it together with a 10 win season, which is unheard of at UK. I think Brohm can get us to the point, it'll just take time. 

• Like 1

Given Purdue's record over the past decade, Im a little surprised they decided to play this game in the first place.  TCU has been very good for a long time now.  PU could have tried to opt out of this game and look for a replacement.  These kind of losses are demoralizing for the fan base, and erode Brohm's credibility and the confidence he is trying to build amongst his supporters.

I was impressed with the way PU bounced back from unexpected losses last year.  Im not sure they have the firepower to do that again this year.

It also does not appear that Brohm made much effort to shore up this offensive line with JCs or transfers.  That is a tactic used in the early years of a rebuild.  Brohm missed the mark here.  Perhaps too much attention paid to the skill positions.  

53 minutes ago, DT said:

Given Purdue's record over the past decade, Im a little surprised they decided to play this game in the first place.  TCU has been very good for a long time now.  PU could have tried to opt out of this game and look for a replacement.  These kind of losses are demoralizing for the fan base, and erode Brohm's credibility and the confidence he is trying to build amongst his supporters.

I was impressed with the way PU bounced back from unexpected losses last year.  Im not sure they have the firepower to do that again this year.

It also does not appear that Brohm made much effort to shore up this offensive line with JCs or transfers.  That is a tactic used in the early years of a rebuild.  Brohm missed the mark here.  Perhaps too much attention paid to the skill positions.  

Brohm has stated multiple times he prefers to play a challenging out of conference schedule. Nevada was already on the schedule from years ago, though clearly, it was no cake walk. 

I do agree that it is possible they don't have the firepower to bounce back from a tough start, but I did think so the previous two years either. There is a lot of football left to be played. 

Brohm did scour the market for a grad transfer on the o-line has he has the last two years. He did not find one he deemed suitable, as he stated in the preseason. What that means, it is hard to be sure, but likely he was very considerate of team chemistry and didn't find the right fit. He has recruited JC o-line guys, but more often than not, that doesn't address the solution. The offensive line always takes the longest to develop and he has recruited it heavily, but his oldest recruits are redshirt sophomores. They will be fine in time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

Brohm has stated multiple times he prefers to play a challenging out of conference schedule. Nevada was already on the schedule from years ago, though clearly, it was no cake walk. 

I do agree that it is possible they don't have the firepower to bounce back from a tough start, but I did think so the previous two years either. There is a lot of football left to be played. 

Brohm did scour the market for a grad transfer on the o-line has he has the last two years. He did not find one he deemed suitable, as he stated in the preseason. What that means, it is hard to be sure, but likely he was very considerate of team chemistry and didn't find the right fit. He has recruited JC o-line guys, but more often than not, that doesn't address the solution. The offensive line always takes the longest to develop and he has recruited it heavily, but his oldest recruits are redshirt sophomores. They will be fine in time. 

The possibility of Brohm departing still looms large over the PU campus.

Despite the buyout, if USC, UCLA, Florida State or Auburn were to come calling, Brohm would have to listen.  All are much bigger jobs than Louisville.  So a 3-9, 4-8 or even 5-7 Boiler record this season will be huge cause for concern amongst the Purdue fan base.  

The Brohm talk will never cease while he is still in WL.  

3 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

I like the tougher slate.  Purdue needs to have at least to Power 5 opponentents every year.  I know schedules for the next 10 years or do have been determined, but playing the directional schools (Eastern Illinois for one) does very little prep work for the coming league schedule.

1 minute ago, DT said:

The possibility of Brohm departing still looms large over the PU campus.

Despite the buyout, if USC, UCLA, Florida State or Auburn were to come calling, Brohm would have to listen.  All are much bigger jobs than Louisville.  So a 3-9, 4-8 or even 5-7 Boiler record this season will be huge cause for concern amongst the Purdue fan base.  

The Brohm talk will never cease while he is still in WL.  

you are next level annoying.

• Disdain 1