Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2019/2020

Coach Nowlin

On 10/11/2019 at 3:28 PM, DT said:

I also think Brohm may have erred in not bringing in any JC kids to fill the talent-experience gap, especially along the lines.  This is a normal tactic that new head coaches will employ when they know they are going young.

A good point of reference is the comparison to MInnesota.  The Gophers are 5-0 in PJ Fleck's 3rd year.  Both programs were in similar condition when the new head coaches took over.

Why the big difference in trajectory?

Brohm has stated multiple times this season in pressers that they attempted to pull in JUCO lineman and things didn't pan out.   The effort was there to do so, but you cannot force folks to come and you also cannot risk bringing in someone that doesn't fit your  culture.   

The coaching on display this week was OUTSTANDING, created competition in all spots ,shuffled up OL, Plummer got the ball out fast and confidently, new look defense with some guys moving around and creating aggressive havoc was on display.    Great Win for sure.  

David Bell.   Still the Truth    

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Brohm has stated multiple times this season in pressers that they attempted to pull in JUCO lineman and things didn't pan out.   The effort was there to do so, but you cannot force folks to come and you also cannot risk bringing in someone that doesn't fit your  culture.   

The coaching on display this week was OUTSTANDING, created competition in all spots ,shuffled up OL, Plummer got the ball out fast and confidently, new look defense with some guys moving around and creating aggressive havoc was on display.    Great Win for sure.  

David Bell.   Still the Truth    

I never stated that Minnesota went the JUCO route.  I simply stated that UM was a good point of reference as both Fleck and Brohm are in their 3rd season.  Fleck is 6-0 and Brohm is 2-4.  One can certainly argue that the Gophers were in better shape when Fleck arrived.  Hazell did a horrific job of recruiting and left the PU cupboard bare.  But Brohm has been hailed as a great hire while Fleck has endured a great deal of scrutiny.  Brohm ignored some glaring needs on his roster and the team is paying the price this season.  For all we know, that may have been the plan.  However, in this day and age, coaches are EXPECTED to win by year 3.  It is what it is.  

Edited by DT

I understand why Fleck and Brohm will always be compared but truth is that Purdue has had a very bad streak of tough luck this year with some injuries.   What will be really a bummer will be that Nevada game...... 

You look at games left, there is still a chance at 6-6- bowl game.   Gonna be tough, but winnable games left on the schedule for the Football version of Baby Boilers.   

6 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I understand why Fleck and Brohm will always be compared but truth is that Purdue has had a very bad streak of tough luck this year with some injuries.   What will be really a bummer will be that Nevada game...... 

You look at games left, there is still a chance at 6-6- bowl game.   Gonna be tough, but winnable games left on the schedule for the Football version of Baby Boilers.   

At the game yesterday, liked what I saw.

• Like 1

I saw how it ended and it looked like Wisconsin did their best Purdue impression: 3rd and 5 with less than three minutes to go and you pass?  It’s important to know Jonathan Taylor, one of the best running backs in the history of Western Civilization is a Badger, and you pass?  Needless to say, it’s picked off be Illinois, who subsequently drive into field goal range for the game winner.  That being said, is Wisconsin now a winnable game?

On 10/19/2019 at 5:06 PM, Gipper said:

I saw how it ended and it looked like Wisconsin did their best Purdue impression: 3rd and 5 with less than three minutes to go and you pass?  It’s important to know Jonathan Taylor, one of the best running backs in the history of Western Civilization is a Badger, and you pass?  Needless to say, it’s picked off be Illinois, who subsequently drive into field goal range for the game winner.  That being said, is Wisconsin now a winnable game?

With GK3 and bell anything is possible. 

both are doing absolutely outstanding as true freshman.  Killing it....truthfully I think GK3 is the best freshman in college football right now and i don’t think it’s particularly close. B10 OLs are no joke and TCUs Line is massive. Yet it doesn’t make much difference.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

With GK3 and bell anything is possible. 

both are doing absolutely outstanding as true freshman.  Killing it....truthfully I think GK3 is the best freshman in college football right now and i don’t think it’s particularly close. B10 OLs are no joke and TCUs Line is massive. Yet it doesn’t make much difference.  

I'll be at the Illinois game on Saturday and am expecting a big Boiler win.

We are bringing the entire Bomber Football program to Nebraska game the following week, field trip style.   We were floored how many players in our middle and high school have never been to a college game, let alone a game 45 minutes from their homes.  

We are excited, one of our awesome parents is a JPC member and has a spot on Slater Hill.  Going to tailgate before and after the games.  Costs the kids $10 for the entire day!!!  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AG said:

Nick Sipe has decided to call it quits due to injuries. This opens up another schollie for 2020. Purdue is now receiving a visit from 4* dual threat Texas QB Malik Hornsby on Friday.

They are already way over on commitments from this class, so there is going to have to be a fair amount of attrition other than Sipe if they are to sign all of these guys to stay under the 85 scholarship limit. They only have 10 scholarship seniors and already have 19 commitments secured for 2020 and they are still actively recruiting. It will be interesting to see it shake out. 

Good luck to Mr. Sipe on finishing his academics at Purdue.

31 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

They are already way over on commitments from this class, so there is going to have to be a fair amount of attrition other than Sipe if they are to sign all of these guys to stay under the 85 scholarship limit. They only have 10 scholarship seniors and already have 19 commitments secured for 2020 and they are still actively recruiting. It will be interesting to see it shake out. 

Good luck to Mr. Sipe on finishing his academics at Purdue.

It’s a bummer about Nick, I’m just glad he’ll still be enrolled at Purdue to receive a works-class education.  Academically, Purdue is a powerhouse, which is something we take for granted.  As for the QB position, yes we are loaded, but adding another never could hurt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

It’s a bummer about Nick, I’m just glad he’ll still be enrolled at Purdue to receive a works-class education.  Academically, Purdue is a powerhouse, which is something we take for granted.  As for the QB position, yes we are loaded, but adding another never could hurt.

Depending how the cards fall, Brady Allen out of GIbson Southern could land there. He loves the brohms from my understanding.  He is projecting to be a 4/5 star prospect too.

Allen would be class of 2022 and has openly stated what he is looking for.

1) good academic school 

2) scheme that throws the ball a lot with lots of weapons

3) a situation favorable to playing sooner than later. 

Purdue certainly checks 2 of those boxes...situation is hard to judge this far out though. 

Notre Dame is considered the favorite right now but they have two of the top QBs in the 2020 and 2021 class already. 

3 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Depending how the cards fall, Brady Allen out of GIbson Southern could land there. He loves the brohms from my understanding.  He is projecting to be a 4/5 star prospect too.

Allen would be class of 2022 and has openly stated what he is looking for.

1) good academic school 

2) scheme that throws the ball a lot with lots of weapons

3) a situation favorable to playing sooner than later. 

Purdue certainly checks 2 of those boxes...situation is hard to judge this far out though. 

Notre Dame is considered the favorite right now but they have two of the top QBs in the 2020 and 2021 class already. 

Not gonna lie, ND is next-level, but Purdue shouldn’t be overlooked. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Not gonna lie, ND is next-level, but Purdue shouldn’t be overlooked. 

While true,  Purdue is just so dang young. By the time these young guys roll around, they will be a top B10 school. If they land Yanni Karlaftis too.....oh boy.

i just imagine in 2021 they have bell and Karlaftis as juniors....Moore as a senior. And I’m sure a number of other talents...but those 4 alone will give them a top 25 team. That’s just my opinion though. 

27 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

While true,  Purdue is just so dang young. By the time these young guys roll around, they will be a top B10 school. If they land Yanni Karlaftis too.....oh boy.

i just imagine in 2021 they have bell and Karlaftis as juniors....Moore as a senior. And I’m sure a number of other talents...but those 4 alone will give them a top 25 team. That’s just my opinion though. 

Things do seem to be trending up!

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

QB depth is really thin right now actually with Sindelar hurt. Our actual backup is walk-on O'Connell and the 3rd stringer is either walk-on Carrollo or true freshman Piferi. Next year they'll be in better shape as far as bodies, but it will be interesting to see if Brohm gets a transfer QB as an emergency backup type.

11 minutes ago, AG said:

QB depth is really thin right now actually with Sindelar hurt. Our actual backup is walk-on O'Connell and the 3rd stringer is either walk-on Carrollo or true freshman Piferi. Next year they'll be in better shape as far as bodies, but it will be interesting to see if Brohm gets a transfer QB as an emergency backup type.

I say the more, the merrier...