Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2019/2020

Coach Nowlin

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I like the tougher slate.  Purdue needs to have at least to Power 5 opponentents every year.  I know schedules for the next 10 years or do have been determined, but playing the directional schools (Eastern Illinois for one) does very little prep work for the coming league schedule.

you are next level annoying.

Sorry, just call it as I see it.  

2 hours ago, DT said:

The possibility of Brohm departing still looms large over the PU campus.

Despite the buyout, if USC, UCLA, Florida State or Auburn were to come calling, Brohm would have to listen.  All are much bigger jobs than Louisville.  So a 3-9, 4-8 or even 5-7 Boiler record this season will be huge cause for concern amongst the Purdue fan base.  

The Brohm talk will never cease while he is still in WL.  

I don't disagree about your first sentence and last sentence. However, if he is sitting at a .500 or so record after 3 years here, I don't see the big boys coming yet. Can you imagine some of those fan bases if they hire a coach with an average record? They would lose their minds. For the record, I think Brohm is an excellent coach. He is a great fit for Purdue and can lead them to a great future, if he so chooses. I am also confident that he could go into any of those places listed and win quite a bit pretty quickly. I just don't see him being a prime candidate right now. Give him a few more years and yes, I agree. 

In reality, I'd rather there be schools who want Purdue's head football coach than the other way around. That means they are doing something well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boilerfan87 said:

I don't disagree about your first sentence and last sentence. However, if he is sitting at a .500 or so record after 3 years here, I don't see the big boys coming yet. Can you imagine some of those fan bases if they hire a coach with an average record? They would lose their minds. For the record, I think Brohm is an excellent coach. He is a great fit for Purdue and can lead them to a great future, if he so chooses. I am also confident that he could go into any of those places listed and win quite a bit pretty quickly. I just don't see him being a prime candidate right now. Give him a few more years and yes, I agree. 

In reality, I'd rather there be schools who want Purdue's head football coach than the other way around. That means they are doing something well. 

I still see the NFL in Brohms future.  I believe that will be his next stop.  

2 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

Spot on, but his tired rhetoric is not worth our time.  BTW, Purdue just got its first 2021 commitment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

I still see the NFL in Brohms future.  I believe that will be his next stop.  

I think that is a strong possibility as well. He will just need to win more games at Purdue first. 

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Spot on, but his tired rhetoric is not worth our time.  BTW, Purdue just got its first 2021 commitment.

He's just another IU fan! It's all good in fun. 

I saw that... very impressive to land early on. He will be one of the top prospects in the state for that class. 

stolen from GBI site

There are 65 P5 teams. Plus some other G5 teams that play at an elite level.

The 2015 recruiting class was ranked 67th (14th in the B1G). This class should be redshirt seniors. If that class, we have:
Elijah Sindelar - 5th year senior QB, concussed
Matt McCann - 5th year OL captain - ankle
Markus Bailey - 5th year LB captain, ACL
Richie Worship - 5th year out for a year
Tario Fuller - 5th year RB broken jaw
Brycen Hopkins - elite TE
Unless I'm missing something, that's it. And they are all out but our TE.

The 2016 would all be seniors or redshirt juniors. This class was ranked 80th nationally. 14th in the B1G. Of the two deeps from this class are:
Jared Sparks
Jackson Anthrop
Alex Criddle
Grant Hermanns
Anthony Watts
Simeon Smiley
Navon Moseley
That's 7 players from that class in the 2 deeps.

The 2017 class (the transition class) was ranked 72 in the nation and 14 in the B1G. These guys should be juniors or redshirt sophomores.

The 2018 class (the Rondale class) was ranked 52 (finally, ranked above some P5 teams for the first time!!!) And ranked 11 in the B1G!!! (These guys are sophomores or redshirt freshman).

The 2019 class was ranked 25th, the best recruiting class in the modern B1G.

All you have to do to understand why we are where we are is read this post. It's not rocket science. We are basically playing significantly younger and less talented then every team we play.

This board is insane. Stay on board this year, keep showing up, get this class signed so we can have back to back good classes, next year should be better (the year the fruits finally start to show). But this negativity on the board, twitter, etc. doesn't help when the reasons we are where we are are obvious from the stats and recruiting. Last night's atmosphere was great, showed great to recruits. That's what matters now.

Purdues offense last night was as follows:
QB: redshirt freshman
RB: redshirt sophmore walk-on or true freshman RB
WR: redshirt freshman
WR: true Sophmore
LT: redshirt Junior
LG: senior that was a DT last 4 years
😄 redshirt sophmore
RG: Redshirt freshman
RT: redshirt freshman
TE: senior
WR: true freshman
#4 receiver: true freshman

Defense:
DE: true freshman
DT: redshirt freshman
DT: Redshirt junior
DE: junior
All DL backups are underclassman
LB: senior (grad transfer)
LB: junior
Backup is a sophmore
CB: Sophmore
DB: redshirt Junior
S: true freshman
S: senior
CB: sophmore.

This team is young.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

stolen from GBI site

Its a good thing Hazell is now in the NFL.  He may be the worst college football recruiter of all time.  That recruiting record is just horrendous and absolutely destroyed the PU football program.  

24 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

I think that is a strong possibility as well. He will just need to win more games at Purdue first. 

He's just another IU fan! It's all good in fun. 

I saw that... very impressive to land early on. He will be one of the top prospects in the state for that class. 

Noted.

14 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

Brohm has stated multiple times he prefers to play a challenging out of conference schedule. Nevada was already on the schedule from years ago, though clearly, it was no cake walk. 

I do agree that it is possible they don't have the firepower to bounce back from a tough start, but I did think so the previous two years either. There is a lot of football left to be played. 

Brohm did scour the market for a grad transfer on the o-line has he has the last two years. He did not find one he deemed suitable, as he stated in the preseason. What that means, it is hard to be sure, but likely he was very considerate of team chemistry and didn't find the right fit. He has recruited JC o-line guys, but more often than not, that doesn't address the solution. The offensive line always takes the longest to develop and he has recruited it heavily, but his oldest recruits are redshirt sophomores. They will be fine in time. 

I've read reports that IU OL Coy Cronk was going to transfer to Purdue due to wanting to be closer to one of his grandparents, but then said grandparent passed away, so Cronk decided to stay at IU. If Cronk had transferred and Mendez had stayed, Purdue's line would be a strength.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AG said:

I've read reports that IU OL Coy Cronk was going to transfer to Purdue due to wanting to be closer to one of his grandparents, but then said grandparent passed away, so Cronk decided to stay at IU. If Cronk had transferred and Mendez had stayed, Purdue's line would be a strength.

Purdue will start getting the good ones.  It's happened before, will happen again...

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

Purdue will start getting the good ones.  It's happened before, will happen again...

No doubt, good days are on the horizon! Unfortunately there are already people out there talking about replacing Brohm. Those people obviously don't follow the program very closely.

14 minutes ago, AG said:

No doubt, good days are on the horizon! Unfortunately there are already people out there talking about replacing Brohm. Those people obviously don't follow the program very closely.

Let them talk--JB's not going anywhere.  Besides, do you think a blueblood like USC or Auburn will hire a coach with a .500 winning percentage?  I think a lot of people talk crap just because they don't have anything logical to say.

25 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Let them talk--JB's not going anywhere.  Besides, do you think a blueblood like USC or Auburn will hire a coach with a .500 winning percentage?  I think a lot of people talk crap just because they don't have anything logical to say.

Nope. If Brohm takes Purdue to a Rose Bowl in a few years I'm sure that the blue bloods will be coming. I personally think that Brohm will stay a long time.  Worst case I think one of his family members stays and continues Jeff's work.

24 minutes ago, AG said:

Nope. If Brohm takes Purdue to a Rose Bowl in a few years I'm sure that the blue bloods will be coming. I personally think that Brohm will stay a long time.  Worst case I think one of his family members stays and continues Jeff's work.

Well, after the Rose Bowl, of course--but not for awhile.  I actually wouldn't mind seeing his brother, Brian or Nick Holt as coach should he leave.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like Rondale is Hammy not Knee    

of the 44 guys on Purdue's 2 Deep.  33 are either Freshman, RS Freshman or Sophomores.   That brings the team "team is young" to a whole new level.

Also it would seem that Neal has chosen the BOSA route and will be sitting out the entire year as it seems like he has been healthy enough to play but chosen not to.   I guess those off season 1st round grades he received probably has him thinking that instead of finishing out his career.   

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

sounds like Rondale is Hammy not Knee    

of the 44 guys on Purdue's 2 Deep.  33 are either Freshman, RS Freshman or Sophomores.   That brings the team "team is young" to a whole new level.

Also it would seem that Neal has chosen the BOSA route and will be sitting out the entire year as it seems like he has been healthy enough to play but chosen not to.   I guess those off season 1st round grades he received probably has him thinking that instead of finishing out his career.   

I wondered what was going on with Neal.  I've been to the first 3 games and saw Rondale carted off in front of me in the South end zone he didn't look to have a serious injury.  Sindelar however was nursing that shoulder bad. 

Yeah Sindelar has a broken clavicle. They act like he can return, but I'd be surprised if he does. Plummer looks good and will be good with experience. The difference from the TCU game to the Minnesota game was very apparent with him. At one point, Purdue had 7 freshmen on offense and 6 on defense. It's hard to win at any level like that, and they still had every chance to win.  It looks like it could be a disappointing season with all the injuries mounting, but for once, I feel like there is a lot of hope to be had because the team is very young and there is a lot of raw talent out there. I am confident this staff will coach them up, they will improve and there will be better days ahead. 

• Like 1

I believe in Brohm and I completely understand we're playing way too much youth to be successful. But, I'm still frustrated he didn't raid the Juco market int he off-season for some immediate help on the lines. PJ Fleck inherited a complete mess at Minnesota despite the Gophers coming off a 9 win season. He had to dismiss a lot of players and start from scratch. I've read he started with the lines and I think it's paying earlier dividends vs. Brohm's 3 years. I would take Brohm in the long run, but it's frustrating to see Row The Boat be more successful in year 3 vs. Brohm. That week 1 loss to Nevada really stings too. They just lost, at home, to Hawaii by a count of 54-3. Fifty Four to Three. Ouch.

15 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I believe in Brohm and I completely understand we're playing way too much youth to be successful. But, I'm still frustrated he didn't raid the Juco market int he off-season for some immediate help on the lines. PJ Fleck inherited a complete mess at Minnesota despite the Gophers coming off a 9 win season. He had to dismiss a lot of players and start from scratch. I've read he started with the lines and I think it's paying earlier dividends vs. Brohm's 3 years. I would take Brohm in the long run, but it's frustrating to see Row The Boat be more successful in year 3 vs. Brohm. That week 1 loss to Nevada really stings too. They just lost, at home, to Hawaii by a count of 54-3. Fifty Four to Three. Ouch.

Just saw the box score as I did not watch the game, but Minny's QB Tanner Morgan went 21/22?  Yikes.

20 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Brohm said in presser this week that he attempted to fix some holes but nothing came to fruition, but the attempt was made.  

4 hours ago, Temptation said:

Just saw the box score as I did not watch the game, but Minny's QB Tanner Morgan went 21/22?  Yikes.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah, it was brutal. Minny WR’s were wide open on slants across the middle. I would not be surprised to see Holt relieves of his DC duties after this year.

Pass defense HAS to get better or you might be right on that.   I would promote Poindextor in heartbeat if that is the case.   Time will tell for sure.