Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2019/2020

Coach Nowlin

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

more I think about it, more I feel like HOLT will get another year 

Bailey and Neal going down with all that youth, don't care with scheme says, at this point its about Jimmies and Joes available. 

Agreed.  Holt stays on--great coach with a young defense.

On 10/3/2019 at 5:03 PM, boilerfan87 said:

Yeah, I don't see Holt going anywhere. He is a good DC. And he has an incredibly young defense. His first year here with a lot of experienced guys, they were top notch. The offense just didn't have much that year. 

My only issue is that his defenses have always struggled to stop the pass. It can be argued that Purdue has had subpar DBs, though.

4* TE/WR Maliq Carr is making his decision tomorrow afternoon and Purdue is the heavy favorite.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AG said:

My only issue is that his defenses have always struggled to stop the pass. It can be argued that Purdue has had subpar DBs, though.

4* TE/WR Maliq Carr is making his decision tomorrow afternoon and Purdue is the heavy favorite.

Part of Brohm's coaching philosophy is to simply outscore the other team.  We did put up big numbers against Vandy and the debacle in Nevada.  Stockpiling weapon on offense is great, but the defense needs to do their fair share, too.

• Like 1

I think its easier to be productive as a young offensive player than it is as a young defensive player, especially in the B10.  

that is why Karlaftis season has been so good, because he is NOWHERE yet where he is going to be with size, technique as he continues to build.   

I loved finally getting Grahmn down in the box as a Nickel/OLB last week instead of in space at safety.  

Happy Maliq Carr day indeed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Part of Brohm's coaching philosophy is to simply outscore the other team.  We did put up big numbers against Vandy and the debacle in Nevada.  Stockpiling weapon on offense is great, but the defense needs to do their fair share, too.

Isn't that called the 'Big 12 Methodology'? 😁

I for one don't care as long as they can put up W's when they get the program established. 

Edited by boilerfan87
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

Isn't that called the 'Big 12 Methodology'? 😁

I for one don't care as long as they can put up W's when they get the program established. 

Outscoring the other team--yeah that's how you're supposed to win football games--the things I say sometimes sets us back 100 years...

• Haha 2

I agree there is a certain level of disappointment at the 1-4 start, especially after the big contract extension and vote of confidence.  The team is not very good.  And Brohm did not make any attempt to lower expectations, which he should have given the youth of the roster.  

Or maybe he is tanking the season so his kids can get older and more physically mature.  

3 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Haven't you heard?  Purdue is a very young team and the list of injuries is long--we talk about that in here, or do you always go for the negative?  I know living in Highland must suck, but please keep us out of your private hell.

My negativity is required here to provide balance and equilibrium to The Forum.  

Highland is a great town.  Had the prototypical All American childhood and teen years.  Spent many days hunting and fishing at Willow Slough.   Once went duck hunting with my brother and uncle with a cast on my leg following major knee surgery.  It was cold and we had to break ice on the slough to get out to our blind.  Great times.  

Edited by DT

19 minutes ago, DT said:

My negativity is required here to provide balance and equilibrium to The Forum.  

Highland is a great town.  Had the prototypical All American childhood and teen years.  Spent many days hunting and fishing at Willow Slough.   Once went duck hunting with my brother and uncle with a cast on my leg following major knee surgery.  It was cold and we had to break ice on the slough to get out to our blind.  Great times.  

Thanks, hero.

4 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Thanks, hero.

I taught my best high school buddy, Dan McNeil, how to catch bass on crankbaits on The Slough.  

Mac and Bum.  We had a great time.  Now he just likes to chase after trashy muskies.  LOL  

Edited by DT

16 minutes ago, DT said:

I taught my best high school buddy, Dan McNeil, how to catch bass on crankbaits on The Slough.  

Mac and Bum.  We had a great time.  Now he just likes to chase after trashy muskies.  LOL  

How proud you must be. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

I agree there is a certain level of disappointment at the 1-4 start, especially after the big contract extension and vote of confidence.  The team is not very good.  And Brohm did not make any attempt to lower expectations, which he should have given the youth of the roster.  

Or maybe he is tanking the season so his kids can get older and more physically mature.  

Before the season, I remember him saying explicitly that they're young and that some of his freshman backs weren't close to playing. Expectations would've been lower had it not been for the OSU upset and the Rondale hype train.

7 minutes ago, AG said:

Before the season, I remember him saying explicitly that they're young and that some of his freshman backs weren't close to playing. Expectations would've been lower had it not been for the OSU upset and the Rondale hype train.

I also think Brohm may have erred in not bringing in any JC kids to fill the talent-experience gap, especially along the lines.  This is a normal tactic that new head coaches will employ when they know they are going young.

A good point of reference is the comparison to MInnesota.  The Gophers are 5-0 in PJ Fleck's 3rd year.  Both programs were in similar condition when the new head coaches took over.

Why the big difference in trajectory?

Edited by DT

Now for some positive news: Maliq Carr, a 4 star recruit out of Michigan, committed to the Purdue football AND basketball teams earlier today.  Apparently he is not too concerned with the lack of JUCO transfers on the line...nor am I.

By the way, Georgia was also hot on the recruiting trail...

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DT said:

I also think Brohm may have erred in not bringing in any JC kids to fill the talent-experience gap, especially along the lines.  This is a normal tactic that new head coaches will employ when they know they are going young.

A good point of reference is the comparison to MInnesota.  The Gophers are 5-0 in PJ Fleck's 3rd year.  Both programs were in similar condition when the new head coaches took over.

Why the big difference in trajectory?

If you believe the rumors, Brohm had Coy Cronk of IU and LCC lined up to transfer and then plans changed. Michael Mendez, a multi year player in the system, also left the team in the early Summer.

Both programs were definitely not in the same position. Minnesota was 8-5 in 2013, 8-5 in 2014, 6-7 in 2015, 9-4 in 2016, and 5-7 and 7-6 in Fleck's first two years.

In comparison, Purdue was 1-11 in 2013, 3-9 in 2014, 2-10 in 2015, 3-9 in 2016, and then finished 7-6 and 6-7 in Brohm's first two seasons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AG said:

If you believe the rumors, Brohm had Coy Cronk of IU and LCC lined up to transfer and then plans changed. Michael Mendez, a multi year player in the system, also left the team in the early Summer.

Both programs were definitely not in the same position. Minnesota was 8-5 in 2013, 8-5 in 2014, 6-7 in 2015, 9-4 in 2016, and 5-7 and 7-6 in Fleck's first two years.

In comparison, Purdue was 1-11 in 2013, 3-9 in 2014, 2-10 in 2015, 3-9 in 2016, and then finished 7-6 and 6-7 in Brohm's first two seasons. 

DT debunked, love it...

15 hours ago, AG said:

DT debunked, love it...

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I thought Minnesota last year had the youngest roster of all Power 5 teams.  Did they really hit the juco route hard?  The article referenced below the youth of the OL....I do realize it may be dated.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/10/23/16524272/future-of-minnesota-football-projecting-2019-roster-big-ten-champs

Very cathartic win.  

4 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I thought Minnesota last year had the youngest roster of all Power 5 teams.  Did they really hit the juco route hard?  The article referenced below the youth of the OL....I do realize it may be dated.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/10/23/16524272/future-of-minnesota-football-projecting-2019-roster-big-ten-champs

Don’t care about Minny: this is a Purdue thread...

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 7:14 PM, AG said:

After today’s game, Holt is firmly entrenched in WL.

6 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I asked the question because DT was stating Purdue should follow the Gopher's recipe in bringing in Juco's.  I wasn't aware that was their recipe, and if Purdue should follow it.

Guess the fact of the Gophers coming in to WL and winning is still a sore spot

Nope, moved on.