Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2019/2020

Coach Nowlin

Highlights:  

• Brohm, as predicted, stayed true to his word and remained at Purdue:  Huge Win for Boilermakers 
  • with Coach staying, he was able to keep intake arguably the best recruiting class put together by a Purdue Staff, led by Bell, Karlaftis as 2 in state STUDS and handful of other 4 star gems. 
  • Recruiting office led by Coach Hodges (underrated aspect of the staff) has already pushed out many great offers to the Nations best 2020 players, with 20k GOLD Theme,  LOVE IT 
  • looks like OL will be a HUGE emphasis in this class, Beech Grove's Fryar on top of many boards lists. 

Open up in 2019 on the road to Nevada then home opener vs what will be a easy sell out of Ross Ade with TCU coming to town

Don't they play Vanderbilt at R-A the week prior?

The TCU would be a good game to watch at R-A, but will have to watch from home (Waco, TX), and I will be pulling hard for the Boilers (my alma mater).  TCU is from the conference "that doesn't like to play D", so I think Purdue could keep the scoreboard clicking.  TCU offense was a mess with injuries, so if they don't pull it together, could get ugly for them.  If Purdue could become a little more consistent I think the game would be a lock for them.

My daughter attends Baylor (graduating in May), so I'm a fan of their fb program.  TCU is practically a four-letter word here, and there was lots of bad blood between Patterson and Briles.  Personally can't stand Patterson.  Hope Purdue hangs 7, 8 or more TD's on 'em.

• Like 1

I think it will be a very interesting season, to say the least. Hopefully Sindelar can come in and play well but I also wouldn't put it past Brohm to name Plummer or Sipe QB. I don't think this is the year for us, although I can see it. Defense will be really young, especially the secondary so teams might be able to kill us there.

I still see 8-9 wins and probably a confusing loss.

I think coach Brohm is doing a great job at Purdue.  He does a great job with the X's and O's.  But, based on his time on the stage at the most recent AFCA clinic, I came away unimpressed.  He really didn't even act as if he wanted to be there.  Just my $.02.

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

probably no different then Joe Tiller speaking for 90 minutes at Nike Clinic I attended 

Topic:   THE HUDDLE 

Did you listen to him last year at IFCA State clinic talk about his Trick Plays and why and how?

Sorry I missed that Tiller topic!  

I did not hear coach Brohm last year at IFCA.  But this recent talk was about program building, a topic that he should be very good with...IMHO lackluster at best.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:37 AM, Major said:

Sorry I missed that Tiller topic!  

I did not hear coach Brohm last year at IFCA.  But this recent talk was about program building, a topic that he should be very good with...IMHO lackluster at best.

Maybe he didnt want to give away his secrets

12 hours ago, DT said:

Maybe he didnt want to give away his secrets

That may be. 

Like I said, IMHO he was lackluster at best. Maybe my expectations were to high.  I have heard him before and he was anything but lackluster those times. He is a great coach!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Purdue athletic department tops $100 million in revenue: https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2019/01/28/purdue-athletic-department-tops-100-million-revenue/2701244002/

For the first time, Purdue’s athletic department surpassed the $100 million mark in revenue.

That figure comes from the 2017-18 school year, the latest financial data available. The information was provided to the Journal & Courier through an open records request. 

During the 2016-17 school year, 31 schools generated more than $100 million in revenue, according to the database created and maintained by USA Today. Once all the information is gathered for 2017-18, that number will grow.

Here are 10 items of interest from the athletic department’s latest financial report:

• The school reported an excess of $7.9 million as opposed to a loss of $868,000 in 2016-17.

More than 53 percent of the athletic department’s revenue came from the Big Ten Conference, including television rights, NCAA distributions and radio rights. Contributions of $19.3 million produced the second-most revenue.

• The athletic department generated more than $11 million in ticket sales, including $7 million in football – the most since 2013. That same year, Purdue had more than $14 million in overall ticket sales.

• For the fourth straight year, women’s basketball generated less than $300,000 in ticket sales. The program saw a slight increase in ticket revenue after six consecutive years of decline.

• Ticket revenue from volleyball continues to rise. The program generated $212,437 in 2017, the fourth straight season of seeing an increase. Ticket sales have jumped from $138,880 in 2008 to the current mark.

• While revenue increased – from $84 million in 2016-17 to $103 million in 2017-18 – so did expenses. Purdue reported $95 million in expenses, an uptick of $10 million compared to the year before.

Football reported a $1.4 million deficit but $1.7 million in severance payments to former coach Darrell Hazell prevented the program from showing a profit. The school’s financial obligation to Hazell ended in December 2018. That will appear on next year’s financial report.

• Scholarships cost the John Purdue Club $11.2 million, an increase of $300,000 compared to the previous year. The tuition freeze put in place by Mitch Daniels and the Board of Trustees continues to keep this number from skyrocketing. 

Salaries, benefits and bonuses paid to the football program’s support staff jumped from $595,570 in 2016-17 to $2.1 million in 2017-18.

• Debt service for the athletic department was $14.6 million, which includes the Football Performance Complex. 

That is a heck of a jump in the football program's "support staff".   What exactly does that include?

• Disdain 1

NCAA has allowed a 10th paid coach, I am sure that is included in the figure:  

Other support staff potential but not limited to:   Recruiting Department, Social Media department, (those amazing graphics they push out to recruits cost the price of someone doing it) Eron Hodges salary     Just a guess 

• 3 weeks later...

Nick Holt's son Ben made it official that he has transferred from Western Kentucky to Purdue. He is a grad transfer and will be a 5th year senior linebacker. Now all that Purdue needs is a few grad transfer offensive linemen and they will be all set.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I think they like the guys they had last year class, just needed a Red Shirt year

Love Dale Williams the OL coach

Be fun to see who is taking 1st team reps this spring

dodged a bullet with McCann injury in bowl game 

I hope you're right. With Mendez leaving the program, there is little to no playing experience in the interior line.

Purdue just offered Dwenger OL

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/luke-wiginton-233856

from an article earlier in the spring, there are dudes coming back with experience, including 2 starting Tackles 

How does the line look?

The staff feels solid about its tackles, with junior Grant Hermanns on the left side and senior Matt McCann on the right returning to reprise starting roles. Each suffered a knee injury in 2018, with McCann getting hurt in the bowl game. Both are available his spring. Developing backups will be vital. The real area of concern: The interior. Line coach Dale Williams must replace guards Dennis Edwards and Shane Evans along with center Kirk Barron. This is a huge spring for sophomore center Viktor Beach as well as redshirt freshmen Will Bramel (tackle), Eric Miller (guard) and Jimmy McKenna (tackle). Sophomore DJ Washington (guard) is also being watched.

The start of the season is going to be tricky for sure. Nevada away should be a W but its on the road.

Vandy will not beat themselves normally. The uglier the game is, the better for Vandy. Their offense wasn't dynamic last year and the QB graduated so if Boilers score points they should win. 

I think TCU bounces back this year. Depends on what they get offensively because the defense is always solid to really good. Can't believe somebody doesn't like Patterson but loves Briles. Might sum up Baylor community perfectly. 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2019 at 9:30 AM, Gipper said:

Totally pumped for this season!  The offense should be fun as hell to watch and I don't think the defense will be as bad as some people are fearing.  I think they'll be 8-4 this year.

The D should be fine this season as long as they can generate a pass rush. The LB corps should be really good and Lorenzo Neal is being mocked as a first round draft pick in multiple mock drafts. I'm only concerned about the defensive backfield as they will be pretty young. Hopefully they will improve throughout the season.

I'm most curious about how Sindelar will play and if Karlaftis and Bell can be instant impact studs.

If Purdue folks thought Rondale Moore was fast wait until you see their newest commitment (Marcellus Moore) with the rock at Ross Ade soon...

On 7/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, Temptation said:

If Purdue folks thought Rondale Moore was fast wait until you see their newest commitment (Marcellus Moore) with the rock at Ross Ade soon...

Absolutely     

Dangerously close to "world class" speed in Marcellus !!   He will be running for TF team Spring of 2020 as he plans to enroll early