Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Would this work in Indiana?

North Carolina has taken some drastic steps to try and retain officials. Would these steps work in Indiana? I don’t think so. But I’d like to hear what others think. Then, I’ll tell you why I don’t think it will work in Indiana under our present system. But I bet the officials on here can guess what I’m going to say.

https://www.referee.com/when-a-state-draws-the-line-on-sportsmanship/

• Thanks 1

Can we bring George Carlin back to let us know what constitutes a profanity? Am I going to get a 1 from a coach for flagging him for saying $hit?

Maybe I don't hear as much as I should, but I don't think profanity is a huge issue. I'd much rather hear someone say they thought that was a Bull$hit call than to hear "You're cheating us." 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SL816 said:

Can we bring George Carlin back to let us know what constitutes a profanity? Am I going to get a 1 from a coach for flagging him for saying $hit?

Maybe I don't hear as much as I should, but I don't think profanity is a huge issue. I'd much rather hear someone say they thought that was a Bull$hit call than to hear "You're cheating us." 

I agree with this 100%. As much as we hate to admit it, we do make mistakes. However, I am there to do my part and make sure the integrity of the game is kept. I will not favor one side of th other. I know a coach will get mad, he/she is human. Profanity does not bother me unless it's from players. I warn them, and the coach the first time, unless I feel it harsh enough to flag for the first defense. However, I do not like being accused of cheating for someone. My integrity is something I am very proud of.

• Like 1

Looks to me like a solution looking for a problem. I don't think these are going to make it more respectful or retain officials. However that doesn't mean they aren't good additions to sportsmanship protocol. I think the mandating of head coaches only being allowed to address officials is a direction we should all head towards. Overall I don't ever have a problem with a coach question an official, as long as its done respectfully and in the correct manner. Then in the end, if the official refuses to side with the challenge, there needs to be a agree to disagree mentality.

Wrestling several years ago instituted protocol which made it much more civil (you still have heated moments, but many fewer public displays and tantrums).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main issue is just like there are some coaches who take getting on the officials too far, there are officials who take finding every possible reason to throw a flag.  For instance, we found a play last year where the official was literally staring  at one of our coaches who was in charge of signal calling and he was in the box calling it and he stared at him the whole time he was signaling. We had not addressed the ball yet, we had not snapped the ball yet ,  and after our coach was done signaling the play before the ball was snapped, had stepped back to where he was suppose to be,  and the official throws a flag and gives us a sideline warning.   The crazier part about that was it was the 3rd play of the game.  We read the rule and made sure we were not just going insane .  So, the reason I make this example is for the reason of there has got to be discussion between the coaches association and the officials associations because when a coach has an issue, he should be able to address that issue and get communication back instead of hey, here is a flag, just deal with it. It is more frustrating at the lower levels like JV and freshman, because you get nothing explained to you. Communication is the key and when there is none, coaches get frustrated. 

• Like 1