Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton @ Southridge

Adding Southridge to the schedule a few years ago was a good move for Linton.  Starting the season against a quality program like Southridge is a good test the very first week of a season.  2 out of the three years they have played have been good games.  (17 - 16 and 28 - 20 Southridge wins).  i don't know anything about Southridge this year.  Hopefully some fans will post about them on here.   I thought I had heard that Southridge lost most of their skill guys to graduation.  Not sure about that.  The Miners are a young team but seem to have a good bit of speed on both sides of the ball.   The defense looked good against Bosse in their scrimmage last Saturday. and gave up no scores.  I  believe most of the Miner secondary graduated, but the guys who have stepped in to play there played well in the scrimmage.  Most of the receivers for Bosse were well covered most of the game.  Plus I think the Miners had 3 picks in the game and several passes were batted away.  As I said, Southridge is a quality program and always reloads.  As much as I'd like to pick the Miners I'll say Southridge will win but I think it will be another close game.  If fans are permitted at the game, I hope everyone has safe travels.  Let the season commence!!!

6 hours ago, Ugminer said:

Lol whether they are or not, it seems every year Linton is "young" team

Not last year!!!   18 seniors.  Of those 18 who graduated 12 were starters most on both sides... add to that a couple kids aren't playing this year that were starters last year.  LInton strengths will be the O line returning 3 starters... and having QB back for 3rd year as starter.  But a lot of key multi year players to replace.  Casual look at Southridge shows me 11 of 12 offensive starters are seniors.. And we are gonna have to tackle CHase Taylor.   I suspect a lot of Taylor-Eslinger meetings...  I do notice from my notes of last year...the Raiders graduated a lot as well.. 4 of 5 Olinemen,  COle Calvert and BRad Springer at wings and Voegerl at SE..who killed us last year.  In fact... from the LInton 2019 game Southridge graduated 8 starters from offense..  But I suspect they just reload!  

Woo Hoo!  Miner Pride sighting!  Now the season has officially started.  LOL  Good to see you MP.  Did you see the scrimmage Saturday?  The Miners seem to have a lot of speed this year on both sides of the ball.  I was impressed by what I saw.  Eslinger had a monster type game.  He looked like a mini Darius Leonard.  I also thought the secondary played very well for having to replace so many players.  Lots of batted passes and I believe 3 picks as well.  If you didn't go to the scrimmage, there is a link listed in the scrimmages thread and you could go there and watch it.  The commentators aren't very good, but at least you can see the Miners in action if you haven't already.  Look forward to hearing you on the broadcast Friday night.  Will Darren be with you?

Football just sorta snuck up on me this year.  I just sorta tried not to think about it because it really seemed that it would not happen...and I still don't really think it will last a full season... so I am going to soak it all up as much as possible this year... and what a way to do it:  Linton at Southridge.  Just love the facilities the Raiders have, and I have always been treated super by the coaches, staff, personnel and the fans themselves.   I don't necessarily think the Miners have risen to a level or rivalry to the Raider Faithful, but I think it's a game they look forward too, and certainly Miner fans knew that Southridge would always without doubt bring top level powerhouse football to the table... and that's what Miner Fans wanted.  Competition.  And really other than one nasty embarrassing blow-out... it has been a competitive series...  in fact it's been a heart pounding gut wrenching game a couple of times.   We.. being Miner folks..wondered if we would still have the Raiders on our schedule with all the changes Southridge has encountered schedule wise with the PAC realignment etc. In my interview with Coach Buening pre game last year he assured me .. on air... that Linton was going nowhere on there forseeable future.  He really paid compliments to Linton's football history and the dedication to the program that has been a trademark for many years in Linton.. and as well in Southridge.  Linton fans have always like Raider Football. 

The renewed series kicked back in, on week 1 in LInton in 2017.  LInton coming in after winning the 1A Title, but losing a huge bunch of seniors.  The Raiders came off a 10-2 season with a Sec finale loss to Brownstown Central.. and themselves losing  a lot of seniors.  I believe Southridge was in 3A in 2016, and back down to 2A...just as Linton was kicked up to 2A.   2017 was  a game that saw Linton up 10-7 and the half, yet down in total yards 134-58.  LInton had taken their first possession from the Raider 45 to the 2, with a 1st and goal only miss a golden chance when QB Keaton Cox fumbled on a Kortland Hartke hit, with Tucker Schank on the recovery.  Linton would wind up with 2 points a Ryan Figg tackled Colin Smith for a Safety.  Southridge took the lead on their 3rd series as Schank rumbled 20 yards... and with under 30 seconds to go in 1... Raiders up 7-3.   They would have 2 other decent drives, to the Miner 34 ending on downs, and to the 23 last in the half ending with Cash Howard interception Jayce Harter's pass.  LInton couldn't do much offensively after that first drive, but the special teams put the Miners up with a Chance Howard punt block, picked up by Luke Lannan and returned 35 yards to paydirt at 7:37 of the 2nd... and a 2 point conversion leaving it 10-7 at half.  2nd half saw Jeovany Dubon tie the game on a 31 yard field goal on SR's 1st possession and stopping Linton's initial 2nd half possession.  BUt it would be Keaton Cox busting lose on the first play after the kickoff, 77 yards to put Linton up 16-10.  In a key moment however, the Miners failed a 2 point one.  Things got exciting for Miner fans as 2 plays later Harter was picked again by Cash Howard from the Raider 31... but self implosion... in the form of unsportsman conduct, then a high snap over QB head put Linton back at their own 29, a failure to capitalize on a turnover.  Southridge then showed why they would win the 2A state title my marching 14 plays, eating 7:22 on the clock, converting a 4th and 4 at Linton's 19... and Harter going in from the Miner 10 on 3rd and 9. Dubon's all important PAT put the Raider up 17-16 with 8:29 to do.  Linton went 3 and punt, and another SOuthridge time consuming drive from their own 37 to the Miner 18 ended on a 4th down failed pass.. leaving Linton with merely 51 seconds to pull out a win.  It was an all air attack as Cox threw 8 passes including a 15 yarder to Devyn RObertson that put Linton at the Raider 35... but a last play pass to Lance Dyer as picked by Grant Maxey.

Stat wise.. Southridge was clearly the winner. 306 total offense, 280 of that on the ground to Linton's 169.  Neither team did much damage in the air.. Linton with 66 yards on 7 of 14, Southridge 4 of 12 for 26... both with 2 picks.  The Raiders about doubled Linton in TOP.. and those late time consuming drives were key.  Harter, at QB, burned the Miners for 155 yards rushing, and Schank added another 99. Cole Calvert led defensively with 9 stops and others includng Chavez, Lammers and Carter.   Linton's offense was pretty much Keaton Cox... 80 yards rushing on just 9 carries, and he threw for 66.   Chance Howard had 12 tackles for lineon, Cox and Cash Howard with 10 each. 

Just a look back.. continued tomorrow...

23 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Football just sorta snuck up on me this year.  I just sorta tried not to think about it because it really seemed that it would not happen...and I still don't really think it will last a full season... so I am going to soak it all up as much as possible this year... and what a way to do it:  Linton at Southridge.  Just love the facilities the Raiders have, and I have always been treated super by the coaches, staff, personnel and the fans themselves.   I don't necessarily think the Miners have risen to a level or rivalry to the Raider Faithful, but I think it's a game they look forward too, and certainly Miner fans knew that Southridge would always without doubt bring top level powerhouse football to the table... and that's what Miner Fans wanted.  Competition.  And really other than one nasty embarrassing blow-out... it has been a competitive series...  in fact it's been a heart pounding gut wrenching game a couple of times.   We.. being Miner folks..wondered if we would still have the Raiders on our schedule with all the changes Southridge has encountered schedule wise with the PAC realignment etc. In my interview with Coach Buening pre game last year he assured me .. on air... that Linton was going nowhere on there forseeable future.  He really paid compliments to Linton's football history and the dedication to the program that has been a trademark for many years in Linton.. and as well in Southridge.  Linton fans have always like Raider Football. 

The renewed series kicked back in, on week 1 in LInton in 2017.  LInton coming in after winning the 1A Title, but losing a huge bunch of seniors.  The Raiders came off a 10-2 season with a Sec finale loss to Brownstown Central.. and themselves losing  a lot of seniors.  I believe Southridge was in 3A in 2016, and back down to 2A...just as Linton was kicked up to 2A.   2017 was  a game that saw Linton up 10-7 and the half, yet down in total yards 134-58.  LInton had taken their first possession from the Raider 45 to the 2, with a 1st and goal only miss a golden chance when QB Keaton Cox fumbled on a Kortland Hartke hit, with Tucker Schank on the recovery.  Linton would wind up with 2 points a Ryan Figg tackled Colin Smith for a Safety.  Southridge took the lead on their 3rd series as Schank rumbled 20 yards... and with under 30 seconds to go in 1... Raiders up 7-3.   They would have 2 other decent drives, to the Miner 34 ending on downs, and to the 23 last in the half ending with Cash Howard interception Jayce Harter's pass.  LInton couldn't do much offensively after that first drive, but the special teams put the Miners up with a Chance Howard punt block, picked up by Luke Lannan and returned 35 yards to paydirt at 7:37 of the 2nd... and a 2 point conversion leaving it 10-7 at half.  2nd half saw Jeovany Dubon tie the game on a 31 yard field goal on SR's 1st possession and stopping Linton's initial 2nd half possession.  BUt it would be Keaton Cox busting lose on the first play after the kickoff, 77 yards to put Linton up 16-10.  In a key moment however, the Miners failed a 2 point one.  Things got exciting for Miner fans as 2 plays later Harter was picked again by Cash Howard from the Raider 31... but self implosion... in the form of unsportsman conduct, then a high snap over QB head put Linton back at their own 29, a failure to capitalize on a turnover.  Southridge then showed why they would win the 2A state title my marching 14 plays, eating 7:22 on the clock, converting a 4th and 4 at Linton's 19... and Harter going in from the Miner 10 on 3rd and 9. Dubon's all important PAT put the Raider up 17-16 with 8:29 to do.  Linton went 3 and punt, and another SOuthridge time consuming drive from their own 37 to the Miner 18 ended on a 4th down failed pass.. leaving Linton with merely 51 seconds to pull out a win.  It was an all air attack as Cox threw 8 passes including a 15 yarder to Devyn RObertson that put Linton at the Raider 35... but a last play pass to Lance Dyer as picked by Grant Maxey.

Stat wise.. Southridge was clearly the winner. 306 total offense, 280 of that on the ground to Linton's 169.  Neither team did much damage in the air.. Linton with 66 yards on 7 of 14, Southridge 4 of 12 for 26... both with 2 picks.  The Raiders about doubled Linton in TOP.. and those late time consuming drives were key.  Harter, at QB, burned the Miners for 155 yards rushing, and Schank added another 99. Cole Calvert led defensively with 9 stops and others includng Chavez, Lammers and Carter.   Linton's offense was pretty much Keaton Cox... 80 yards rushing on just 9 carries, and he threw for 66.   Chance Howard had 12 tackles for lineon, Cox and Cash Howard with 10 each. 

Just a look back.. continued tomorrow...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Miner Pride.  I know I have heard Southridge fans say if you want to beat the Raiders, you had better do it early in the season.  They usually get stronger as the season goes on and are hard to beat.  That 2017 game the Miners were close and had their chances.  The Raiders won state by beating Woodlan 15 - 14.  So the Raiders started and ended the 2017 season with one point wins.  I can only imagine how exciting and nerve wracking it must have been for Raider fans.  Can't wait to read your write up on this game, Miner Pride.  The Miners looked fast on both sides of the ball against Bosse in the scrimmage.   Hope that speed remains consistent for them this season.

Edited by itiswhatitis

Game Day it is.  Thankful indeed.  A quick look at what I see tonight shows firstly... both teams graduated a ton of players.  I think Linton was at 19, Southridge at 18.  Both teams lost a majority of their skill players, yet retain their starting QB's from 2019.Both should be experienced as Goodman for Linton will be under center for this 3rd season, and Taylor---whose 1st game at QB was at Linton last year-- should be better acquanted... altho he missed a lot of the  season as I understand it last year with an injury.  Goodman threw for just over 1400 yards and 18 TDs an only 6 picks last year.   Taylor threw for 789 and 11 TDS in 6 games, and his backup Niehaus for 452 and 2 scores in 8 games.  That's a combined 1280 with 17 TDs against 8 picks.   The problem for both QBs will be that they will be surrounded my mostly kids getting their first varsity starts.  Gone are the top two rushers for both teams.. Calvert (1,154 yds 17 TDs) and B.Springer (578; 8).  It's worse for Linton as they lost 3 of their top 4 (Lannan-758, 9; Dyer 907, 10; and Howard 406-7).  Both QB;s have shown they can run.  Both teams have set plays for the QB to keep the ball.  Linton's Goodman was 3rd in rushing with 425 yards and scored 10 TDs.  HOwever,  Taylor is bruiser of a runner... certainly a Linebacker mentality.  He had 58 against Linton last year, but 3 were on plays he made happen  for big plays...  Goodman had 17 official carries for 0 yards... but he also had a couple scrambles for 17 big yards.   Taylor's numbers from 2019 are skewed with only playing 6 games, but still had 222 rushing yards. 

New faces will flood the field tonight for both teams in terms of skill spots.  Linton looks to have changed the offense a bit... but still looks to be a rush orientated machine.  Which is of course what Southridge is known for as well.  Jr #2 Gabe Eslinger looks to take on the role of Luke Lannan from 2019 on both sides of the ball.  He was a standout as a soph on the defensive side, but this year he will be counted on in the backfield.  At 6'0 195 Eslinger will be a load.  Joining him in the backfield this year is another kid who will deliver hits with a 6'2 215 frame in Jr #13 Drew Smith.  Both saw minimal action offensively in 2019... Gabe just 4 carries, Drew with 9 in late games. There would appear to be several guys looking at the WB' position with #7 JR Kaulin Padgett (5;8 160) leading the pack.  Padgett has speed, but last season was sidelined with ankle problems from week 2 on.  Others I saw get action were #32 Jaydan Miller (Jr 5'8 150) &  #12 Hunter Johns (So 5;8 170) while #14 Hunter Gennicks (So 5'10 175) ran the offense at QB as well as being in the mix at WB/RB.  BUt again... it's very inexperienced when it comes to Friday Night Lights... other than Eslinger... and Miller was the punter last year, as well as the starting catcher in baseball.  HOwever---these guys have been watching for a couple years and realize this is their time.  Like LInton... Southridge has to replace a bulldog running in Calvert.  I certainly believe Taylor will be a big part of the running game for the Raiders.  #22 MAtt Springer (Sr 6'1 184)  looks to be guy.  Like Eslinger... he started on Defense for the Raiders, and now must do double duty.  He had 11 carries for 55 yards in all of 2019.   WBs are # Camdon Gasser (Sr 5'11 159) and #40 Parker Kippenbrock (Sr 6'1 182).   Gasser was a starter on D last year so he will have varsity feel, and Kippenbrock saw time on defense so these won't be inexperienced players at all.   Gasser had just 2 carries in 2019, Kippenbrock a bit more at 14 for 66 yards.   Last year Gasser was a target of Taylor's passing on 5 occasions... so again... these guys were involved... it just this year they are the top of the depth chart.    Southridge killed the Miners in the air last year.  Anyone who was there could see that.  The Miners did a solid job defending the run (82 yards on 36 carries)... but Taylor ripped the Miners for 267 yards on 8 of 19 passing.  These were super huge plays in this 2019 game...none more so than the 63 yard strike hitting Brad Springer at the Miner 33 in stride and wide open to enable the Raiders to tie Linton at 20 with 5:53 left inthe game.  a 37 yard pass on 3rd and 17 early to Voegerl put the Raiders at the Miner 3 on their opening drive only to have Calvert cough up the ball on the next play.   The winning score at just 1:13 in the game game again on a 24 yard pass to Voegerl.  Garrett Voegerl had a career night with 5 catches for 187 yards.. including a 76 yard TD at the end of the 1st quarter, that was again..pretty much wide open.    I don't think anyone...well from Linton... expected Taylor to throw the ball so well.   But Voegerl and B. Springer have graduated.  But Gasser was the leader in receiving yards with 474 and 5 TDs. TE Aiden Jochem (#8 Jr 6'1 191) caught 1 pass in 2019.   The starting SE this year listed is #2 Kaleb Wibbeler (Sr 6'2 182), and he also had one catch for yards in 2019.   To me it looks like the Raiders will have more coming back in these skill spots that Linton.  Linton's passing game was good because there were several options.. the main one being Devyn Robertson (34-549), but also Clayton Hauser (21-207), then you had the WB's Dyer and Howard with 26 catches for near 500.  They are all graduated as well as TE Avery Puckett.  Fact is... nobody on the Miner roster has caught a varsity pass at this point.  It helps to have Goodman at QB in 3rd season, but we will definitely need to see who steps up.  In the scrimmage we saw #24 Eli Poe (Jr 6'1 160) at SE for most reps.  Eli was a special teams player last year.  #45 Jackson Lynn (Jr 6'0 185) seemed to also get out there... but truthfully there just doesn't seem to be much depth at all...  #44 Bracey Brenneman (Jr 5'11 185) lines up at TE and could be an option... but we;ll see plenty of the WB's and RBs get thrown to as well. 

Up front the Miners expected this to be their strong point.  Returning what appeared to be 4 starters back.  As it is we have 3 starters back...but it still is a solid experienced group led by twins Damien Sr #69 6'2 220) and Landon (Sr #57 6'2 230). Damien moves to Center this year with Landon at Right Tackle.  Jr Dalton Carpenter (#77 5'10 215) is another kid who came in sectionals as a freshman to start.  He had a leg injury last year and missed most the early part of the  season...but came back strong.  He is at Left Guard.  IT looks like the Giles family will have 3 sons on the line as Soph Aiden Giles (#56 6'2 230) is one of the guys in the mix with Jr Donovan DeBruhl (#58 6;0 275) and Soph Wrigley Franklin (#51 6'2 220).  I also saw Jr Cody Jackson (#62 5'10 180) in rotation.  Southridge lost 4 of 5 OLine starters through graduation, but return LT Leyton Lauderdale (Sr #50 6'2 219).  He will lead a line still featuring 4 seniors- #66 Quinn Barnett (5'8 162) at G, #55 Luke Lange (5;8 165) at G and #64 Erik Hernandez (6'2 242) at T. Hernandez started on DL last year but switches to OL in 2020.  The lone junior is the center #74 Austin Hayes (6'1 214).  I have no way of really knowing if any of these new starters saw much action in varsity or not.. With Linton, I know the younger Giles, Franklin and Jackson were mostly JV kids last year.   Debruhl was a part time rotation guy at DT but this would be his first Offensive appearance. 

I will try to get to defensive info later... but... I may run out of time.  Briefly.. Linton has to replace Luke Lannan.. leading tackler for2 years... but the surprise of 2019 was the emergence of Gabe Eslinger.  He was actually leadning the tackled til he was hurt on the opening kickoff in the sectional semi with North Posey...and did not play that or the Mater Dei game.  It looks like #13 Drew Smith will line up inside with him... 2 physical players.   Can Smith be the surprise of 2020?  The Defensive backfield is completely new.  We had a starter coming back that decided not to play... so it's gonna be something to watch. Considering how Southridge found the skies friendly last year... they may look that way again.  In defense of the Miners... it was week 1...and they did get better.  But it's week 1 again with a whole new set of kids looking to win a spot.   At this point I can't tell you who is gonna be starting.  I know basically the same names show up on the DL... Damien and Landon Giles, Debruhl, Jackson, Carpenter, as well as #63 Jackson Fields (Jr 6'0 205)   OLBs are another one I'm not sure... looked like several got looks.   names I can throw out are Gennicks, Johns, Miller, Breneman, Padgett, Goodman, Poe, and Lynn....   I'll certainly know more watching pre-game workouts.   I should also mentioned that we did have several kids on crutches at the scrimmage.. and some in street clothes. Most notable would be #52 Brayman Lannan (Sr 5'9 180).  He came in play ILB when Eslinger was injured, and I know played offensive line here n there. As a senior I have to figure he would play a role if healthy. 

Southridge returns 4 starters from what I saw in our game last year.  #22 Matt Spinger moves from DB to a key ILB spot.  #8 Jochem moves from DE to a Safety position. then you have Gasser at CB with Lauderdale returning at DE.  It's still a senior-laden unit with 9 starters being seniors.  The top returning tacklers are Springer (4th with 78) Lauderdale (6th with 64) and Jochem (8th with 49).   Up from they line up 3 with #73 Adam Jochem (Sr 6'1 211) #66 Quinn Barnett (Sr 5'8 162) and Luderdale (6'2 219).   OLB's are #45 Ricky Pflanz (Sr 5'11 174) and #34 Gabe Wilkey (Sr, 5'11 181).. inside Springer (Sr 6'1 184) and #40 Kippenbrock (Sr r6'1 182).  Corners Wibbeler and Gasser two more seniors, and safeties are 6'1 191  #8 Jochem and Soph Reid Schroeder #28 6'1 184.

I know nothing about kicking game... Miller prolly punts for Linton...  But who will kick PAT?  We've had a string of very good kickers... but I have no idea.

You can listen to the game on the air ..93.5 FM WQTY

or online... at wqtyradio.com. 

58 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Game Day it is.  Thankful indeed.  A quick look at what I see tonight shows firstly... both teams graduated a ton of players.  I think Linton was at 19, Southridge at 18.  Both teams lost a majority of their skill players, yet retain their starting QB's from 2019.Both should be experienced as Goodman for Linton will be under center for this 3rd season, and Taylor---whose 1st game at QB was at Linton last year-- should be better acquanted... altho he missed a lot of the  season as I understand it last year with an injury.  Goodman threw for just over 1400 yards and 18 TDs an only 6 picks last year.   Taylor threw for 789 and 11 TDS in 6 games, and his backup Niehaus for 452 and 2 scores in 8 games.  That's a combined 1280 with 17 TDs against 8 picks.   The problem for both QBs will be that they will be surrounded my mostly kids getting their first varsity starts.  Gone are the top two rushers for both teams.. Calvert (1,154 yds 17 TDs) and B.Springer (578; 8).  It's worse for Linton as they lost 3 of their top 4 (Lannan-758, 9; Dyer 907, 10; and Howard 406-7).  Both QB;s have shown they can run.  Both teams have set plays for the QB to keep the ball.  Linton's Goodman was 3rd in rushing with 425 yards and scored 10 TDs.  HOwever,  Taylor is bruiser of a runner... certainly a Linebacker mentality.  He had 58 against Linton last year, but 3 were on plays he made happen  for big plays...  Goodman had 17 official carries for 0 yards... but he also had a couple scrambles for 17 big yards.   Taylor's numbers from 2019 are skewed with only playing 6 games, but still had 222 rushing yards. 

New faces will flood the field tonight for both teams in terms of skill spots.  Linton looks to have changed the offense a bit... but still looks to be a rush orientated machine.  Which is of course what Southridge is known for as well.  Jr #2 Gabe Eslinger looks to take on the role of Luke Lannan from 2019 on both sides of the ball.  He was a standout as a soph on the defensive side, but this year he will be counted on in the backfield.  At 6'0 195 Eslinger will be a load.  Joining him in the backfield this year is another kid who will deliver hits with a 6'2 215 frame in Jr #13 Drew Smith.  Both saw minimal action offensively in 2019... Gabe just 4 carries, Drew with 9 in late games. There would appear to be several guys looking at the WB' position with #7 JR Kaulin Padgett (5;8 160) leading the pack.  Padgett has speed, but last season was sidelined with ankle problems from week 2 on.  Others I saw get action were #32 Jaydan Miller (Jr 5'8 150) &  #12 Hunter Johns (So 5;8 170) while #14 Hunter Gennicks (So 5'10 175) ran the offense at QB as well as being in the mix at WB/RB.  BUt again... it's very inexperienced when it comes to Friday Night Lights... other than Eslinger... and Miller was the punter last year, as well as the starting catcher in baseball.  HOwever---these guys have been watching for a couple years and realize this is their time.  Like LInton... Southridge has to replace a bulldog running in Calvert.  I certainly believe Taylor will be a big part of the running game for the Raiders.  #22 MAtt Springer (Sr 6'1 184)  looks to be guy.  Like Eslinger... he started on Defense for the Raiders, and now must do double duty.  He had 11 carries for 55 yards in all of 2019.   WBs are # Camdon Gasser (Sr 5'11 159) and #40 Parker Kippenbrock (Sr 6'1 182).   Gasser was a starter on D last year so he will have varsity feel, and Kippenbrock saw time on defense so these won't be inexperienced players at all.   Gasser had just 2 carries in 2019, Kippenbrock a bit more at 14 for 66 yards.   Last year Gasser was a target of Taylor's passing on 5 occasions... so again... these guys were involved... it just this year they are the top of the depth chart.    Southridge killed the Miners in the air last year.  Anyone who was there could see that.  The Miners did a solid job defending the run (82 yards on 36 carries)... but Taylor ripped the Miners for 267 yards on 8 of 19 passing.  These were super huge plays in this 2019 game...none more so than the 63 yard strike hitting Brad Springer at the Miner 33 in stride and wide open to enable the Raiders to tie Linton at 20 with 5:53 left inthe game.  a 37 yard pass on 3rd and 17 early to Voegerl put the Raiders at the Miner 3 on their opening drive only to have Calvert cough up the ball on the next play.   The winning score at just 1:13 in the game game again on a 24 yard pass to Voegerl.  Garrett Voegerl had a career night with 5 catches for 187 yards.. including a 76 yard TD at the end of the 1st quarter, that was again..pretty much wide open.    I don't think anyone...well from Linton... expected Taylor to throw the ball so well.   But Voegerl and B. Springer have graduated.  But Gasser was the leader in receiving yards with 474 and 5 TDs. TE Aiden Jochem (#8 Jr 6'1 191) caught 1 pass in 2019.   The starting SE this year listed is #2 Kaleb Wibbeler (Sr 6'2 182), and he also had one catch for yards in 2019.   To me it looks like the Raiders will have more coming back in these skill spots that Linton.  Linton's passing game was good because there were several options.. the main one being Devyn Robertson (34-549), but also Clayton Hauser (21-207), then you had the WB's Dyer and Howard with 26 catches for near 500.  They are all graduated as well as TE Avery Puckett.  Fact is... nobody on the Miner roster has caught a varsity pass at this point.  It helps to have Goodman at QB in 3rd season, but we will definitely need to see who steps up.  In the scrimmage we saw #24 Eli Poe (Jr 6'1 160) at SE for most reps.  Eli was a special teams player last year.  #45 Jackson Lynn (Jr 6'0 185) seemed to also get out there... but truthfully there just doesn't seem to be much depth at all...  #44 Bracey Brenneman (Jr 5'11 185) lines up at TE and could be an option... but we;ll see plenty of the WB's and RBs get thrown to as well. 

Up front the Miners expected this to be their strong point.  Returning what appeared to be 4 starters back.  As it is we have 3 starters back...but it still is a solid experienced group led by twins Damien Sr #69 6'2 220) and Landon (Sr #57 6'2 230). Damien moves to Center this year with Landon at Right Tackle.  Jr Dalton Carpenter (#77 5'10 215) is another kid who came in sectionals as a freshman to start.  He had a leg injury last year and missed most the early part of the  season...but came back strong.  He is at Left Guard.  IT looks like the Giles family will have 3 sons on the line as Soph Aiden Giles (#56 6'2 230) is one of the guys in the mix with Jr Donovan DeBruhl (#58 6;0 275) and Soph Wrigley Franklin (#51 6'2 220).  I also saw Jr Cody Jackson (#62 5'10 180) in rotation.  Southridge lost 4 of 5 OLine starters through graduation, but return LT Leyton Lauderdale (Sr #50 6'2 219).  He will lead a line still featuring 4 seniors- #66 Quinn Barnett (5'8 162) at G, #55 Luke Lange (5;8 165) at G and #64 Erik Hernandez (6'2 242) at T. Hernandez started on DL last year but switches to OL in 2020.  The lone junior is the center #74 Austin Hayes (6'1 214).  I have no way of really knowing if any of these new starters saw much action in varsity or not.. With Linton, I know the younger Giles, Franklin and Jackson were mostly JV kids last year.   Debruhl was a part time rotation guy at DT but this would be his first Offensive appearance. 

I will try to get to defensive info later... but... I may run out of time.  Briefly.. Linton has to replace Luke Lannan.. leading tackler for2 years... but the surprise of 2019 was the emergence of Gabe Eslinger.  He was actually leadning the tackled til he was hurt on the opening kickoff in the sectional semi with North Posey...and did not play that or the Mater Dei game.  It looks like #13 Drew Smith will line up inside with him... 2 physical players.   Can Smith be the surprise of 2020?  The Defensive backfield is completely new.  We had a starter coming back that decided not to play... so it's gonna be something to watch. Considering how Southridge found the skies friendly last year... they may look that way again.  In defense of the Miners... it was week 1...and they did get better.  But it's week 1 again with a whole new set of kids looking to win a spot.   At this point I can't tell you who is gonna be starting.  I know basically the same names show up on the DL... Damien and Landon Giles, Debruhl, Jackson, Carpenter, as well as #63 Jackson Fields (Jr 6'0 205)   OLBs are another one I'm not sure... looked like several got looks.   names I can throw out are Gennicks, Johns, Miller, Breneman, Padgett, Goodman, Poe, and Lynn....   I'll certainly know more watching pre-game workouts.   I should also mentioned that we did have several kids on crutches at the scrimmage.. and some in street clothes. Most notable would be #52 Brayman Lannan (Sr 5'9 180).  He came in play ILB when Eslinger was injured, and I know played offensive line here n there. As a senior I have to figure he would play a role if healthy. 

Southridge returns 4 starters from what I saw in our game last year.  #22 Matt Spinger moves from DB to a key ILB spot.  #8 Jochem moves from DE to a Safety position. then you have Gasser at CB with Lauderdale returning at DE.  It's still a senior-laden unit with 9 starters being seniors.  The top returning tacklers are Springer (4th with 78) Lauderdale (6th with 64) and Jochem (8th with 49).   Up from they line up 3 with #73 Adam Jochem (Sr 6'1 211) #66 Quinn Barnett (Sr 5'8 162) and Luderdale (6'2 219).   OLB's are #45 Ricky Pflanz (Sr 5'11 174) and #34 Gabe Wilkey (Sr, 5'11 181).. inside Springer (Sr 6'1 184) and #40 Kippenbrock (Sr r6'1 182).  Corners Wibbeler and Gasser two more seniors, and safeties are 6'1 191  #8 Jochem and Soph Reid Schroeder #28 6'1 184.

I know nothing about kicking game... Miller prolly punts for Linton...  But who will kick PAT?  We've had a string of very good kickers... but I have no idea.

You can listen to the game on the air ..93.5 FM WQTY

or online... at wqtyradio.com. 

Great write up as always MP.  Look forward to hearing the broadcast tonight.  Considering what's going on with the virus I'll probably have to listen to all of the games on the radio this year since I am in a high risk category.  Is Darren doing the broadcast with you or will it be Keith?  I know the secondary is all "rookies" but I thought they made a pretty good showing against Bosse in the scrimmage.  I guess we'll find out tonight.  Doesn't look like the Raiders are favored by too much, maybe 4 points.  Looking forward to a good game.  Safe travels for everyone!