Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Word of Caution, Reserve Judgments for....

about 4 weeks into the season for all the teams playing.  

Every team in Indiana who got to play this weekend only was able to see each other or possibly a controlled scrimmage last week, with many of those not even going on.   I know for our team, I am not panicing, as that was our 1st game vs a solid 4a team after only seeing 14-16 year old scout team players last 2 weeks.   THAT IS A HUGE difference and the process is just now beginning.  Not complaining, just the reality of the situation everyone is under.   

Got 9 weeks to get it right with our teams around the state of Indiana.   

Just my thoughts after reading comments on our site and online here since kickoff.    

Excited to be back and hope to stay back.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

KV a solid 4a team? Whiting used to work them when they were in the LAC. Hasn’t won anything of relevance since John Harrell been tracking results 1995

feel bad for Munster they are awful

wheeler is the real deal

Edited by Whiting89
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

KV a solid 4a team? Whiting used to work them when they were in the LAC. Hasn’t won anything of relevance since John Harrell been tracking results 1995

wheeler is the real deal

They have very talented sophomore class with some solid JR's and a SR QB who has been a starter since halfway through his Freshman year I believe.  An All State type kicker.  

Brand new 8 million dollar investment in facilities and a renewed spirit. 

They will not be judged by their non conference schedule of RCHS, Wheeler, S.B. Washington, and North Newton, as they shouldn't be, however I would suspect if they can keep things together and healthy find themselves in some winnable opportunities in the NCC. 

I would be utterly shocked if they are not 4-0 going into conference games.   Judgement day for the Kougars will be Game 6 vs Lowell.    

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Nailed it. 

except for Lawrence North. 

I would be very worried if I was the other 6A teams lol

Neither defense stopped the offense in that game until the 2nd half. Avon had their way in the 1st except they made mistakes that LN didn’t. Don’t misconstrue what I’m saying...... LN is for real and a possible contender in the MIC, but their defense needs reps like most teams.

I loved Week 1!  After my initial skepticism that I hid from, well, no one, it was great to take in the action.  There were the predictable outcomes as well as the surprise upsets no one saw coming which makes high school football so great.

To Week 2...

• Like 2

This is a solid take. I know in Boone's situation, there are no excuses for the rout that took place. However, losing our QB/K early and not having some of our big men up front did not help us. Another factor is having minimal time to prepare with a very young team. I cannot imagine what its like for other teams that are losing starters to quarantine as well.

I definitely think you are right with waiting until week 4 to get a really solid grasp on these teams. Best of luck to everyone!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graphic Context said:

This is a solid take. I know in Boone's situation, there are no excuses for the rout that took place. However, losing our QB/K early and not having some of our big men up front did not help us. Another factor is having minimal time to prepare with a very young team. I cannot imagine what its like for other teams that are losing starters to quarantine as well.

I definitely think you are right with waiting until week 4 to get a really solid grasp on these teams. Best of luck to everyone!

Yes I think all teams will look better as the season advances into season. Still can’t say many expected that outcome. Was that more being down a couple guys or is Glenn actually going to be decent team this year? 
I know when I looked for scores Friday night I was surprised by quite a few of them. If College and Pro is like this I’ll hold off on placing bets on games this season. Totally unpredictable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Yes I think all teams will look better as the season advances into season. Still can’t say many expected that outcome. Was that more being down a couple guys or is Glenn actually going to be decent team this year? 
I know when I looked for scores Friday night I was surprised by quite a few of them. If College and Pro is like this I’ll hold off on placing bets on games this season. Totally unpredictable.

I guess time will tell! I don't want to answer this question and then be completely wrong about it later. 😂

On 8/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Every team in Indiana who got to play this weekend only was able to see each other or possibly a controlled scrimmage last week, with many of those not even going on.   I know for our team, I am not panicing, as that was our 1st game vs a solid 4a team after only seeing 14-16 year old scout team players last 2 weeks.   THAT IS A HUGE difference and the process is just now beginning.  Not complaining, just the reality of the situation everyone is under.   

Just my thoughts after reading comments on our site and online here since kickoff.    

In many ways, this could be a grand re-set for HS football, where once-powerful programs decline and new ones take their place. 

On 8/22/2020 at 2:55 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

So you’re telling me I shouldn’t of booked my hotel room in Indy to watch my Bremen Lions in November?

• Haha 1

I don’t know coach, the write up in our game film was pretty brutal.

On 8/22/2020 at 2:06 PM, Whiting89 said:

wheeler is the real deal

I have to disagree, Wheeler is not the real deal. 

Lack of prep time - not to mention COVID protocols and who could/could not be available to a team in a given week - will make for a hard to predict season. People on here will get "giddy" with all the upsets, but the truth of the matter is teams could be down/without several key players in a given week or 2, then have them back later. That is - if proper protocols are being followed 🤔

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, Whiting89 said:

wheeler is the real deal

The falloff at Munster is bothersome and a bit scary.

Munster is a Region blue blood football program that was built on a white collar management style and a blue collar work ethic.

Thje football Gods were always with the Mustangs.  When things went bad, Munster always seemed to come out on top.

Now, the program is an absolute pile of shit.

How could this happen so quickly?

Did players boycott after Coach Marsh retired?

Actually, I think Munster football defied the changing demographics of the city over the past 20 years.  

Munster is a city of minority immigrants, doctors and lawyers and business people.  The white population is in decline.  

But the competitive falloff has been calamitous to say the least.

Even proud Mustang alum Bobref is reluctant to comment on his former school.

1 minute ago, DT said:

The falloff at Munster is bothersome and a bit scary. ...

Even proud Mustang alum Bobref is reluctant to comment on his former school.

I will say only that what has happened at Munster is, IMO, a combination of factors which created a perfect storm, the result of which was that the program absolutely went over a cliff. The climb back up will be terribly difficult. No reason for optimism in the near term.

3 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Munsters issue half the parents are doctors and realize how unsafe football is so they are essentially making a team from a 2a enrollment pool.

Yes, half the parents are doctors, but now they are international, not American.  Therein lies the dichotomy.

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Munsters issue half the parents are doctors and realize how unsafe football is so they are essentially making a team from a 2a enrollment pool.

I would word it a little differently, but there’s no doubt that the head trauma issue is probably more proportionately impactful in Munster due to the demographic makeup than most other places. That’s definitely one of the factors.

This will be a good week to see how much has changed from the 1st week of the season. See if the AC defense does a better job of wrapping up and if the offense can continue to look good. They'll have a major test in Eastside and quite frankly were lucky to beat them last year. This will be a good barometer of what to expect come week 6 or so.