Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - Non Covid WK 1 Observations

Guest DT

1. Penn and Valpo hit on something very smart.  Saturday afternoon football under God's beautiful natural daylight.  With college football on the shelf, the IHSAA should jump on this and take advantage of the next 2 months of open Saturdays and play high school football   The Kingsmen and Vikings played a great non con opener to kickoff the season.  

2. Ben Davis was mercy ruled this week.  Has that ever happened before?  This program appears to be in real trouble.  Have a feeling that the Virus may have hit the BD Campus hardaer than many others.

3.  Wonder if anyone will get closer than 3 TDS this year to Center Grove.  They demolished a solid Decature Central team at home .  CG is a school that would attract a big Saturday crowd if given the chance.  

4. I was a bit giddy about Columbus North's demolition of Gibson Southern.  And a bit surprised that the Titan's All Everything QB and early Purdue signee coudlnt keep his team more in contention.  They talk a lot down their around that program.  The Bulldogs put a muzzle on all that yapping for a least a short while.

5. It looks like Pat Mallorys Lawrence North rebuild is complete.  The blowout of Avon was probably the most impressive win of the wqeek regardless of class.  Youve really got to hand it to Mallory.  he stuck with it at LN thru some really dark periods.  The win was only his 18th at LN against 54 losses, but this may be a special team and a special year.  McCulley is going to be a great signee for Indiana after he lights up the competition this year for the Wildcats.

6.  Would like to hear more about whats going on at FW North Side.  The Legends blew out SAC kingpin Snider 47-17 in Friday nights opener.  Dwenger and Carroll are up in the next two weeks so the scedule maker decided to put the screws to North Side to open the season.  Homestead also lost to Northrup.  Whats going on in The SAC?

7. Merrillville is loaded with several D1 signees and the Pirates smoked Catholic rival Andrean 40-13 Friday night.  I think this matchup has turned a bit too one sided in Merrillville's favor and its time for the Pirates to seek out some big game comepetition in non con play.  Id like to see some one like Homewood Flossmoor, Center Grove, Cathedral or Chicago Mt Carmel replace the 59ers on the Merrillville schedule.  

8. Contraction Candidate Caston opened the season with a resounding 38-6 win over West Central.  Congratulations to the Comets and to first year HC Will Porter on the big opening win. 

9. Under the glaring spotlight of an adoring fan base and a  significant amount of media attention, the Russ Radtke era at Knox opened with a thud as the 3A Redskins were clipped by visiting 1A Southwood 29-26.  Radtke made big offseason noise when he left New Prairie for Portage, and then abruptly left the Indians at the alter at the last minute and bailed for the hometown Knox job.  Im sure many in Portage were reveling in radtkes difficult night on Friday.  BTW, 6A  Portage      , under new Coach Terry Chestovich barely held off a game 3A Hanover Central team 42-40.

10. Mike Gillin might have his best team ever this season at Mooresville.  The Pioneers opened as expected with a big win over Lebanon.  MHS has two Big Ten lineman in Van DeVanter and Richards, both Purdue recruits.  Not sure anybody , other than maybe Whiteland, can play in the Mid State this year with this Mooresville team.

11. North Central and Fishers appear to be two programs heading in different directions, and it apparently showed on Friday night.  NC, coming off their best seasoin in decades, stomped the Tigers and first year HC Curt Funk  40-20 in the two teams annual season opener.  With the Rick Wim mer era over at Fishers, Funk has some decisisons to make about where he wants to take this program, in a conference that has been overwhelmed by Avon and Brownsburg in  recent years.  Kevin OShea's NC Panthers certainly plan on being a factor in the MIC Race again this year.  North Central travels to HSE this week.  

12.  In Mishawaka's first game outside of the Northern Indiana Conference, the conference they helped create as an original member in 1927, the Cavemen lost to old in city rival Marian 42-40 in a shootout.  Just a little odd to think of Mishawaka in any conference other then the good old NIC.  Dontcha think?  But I do like the setup in The NLC.  It will be a good marriage for both parties.  

1. It’s called Friday night lights for a reason and college football is coming this year

2. Yeah back in my day it was penn and Ben Davis 5a champ every year

3. yeah man LN

4. shocked as well but it proves football is a true team sport you can’t carry a team like hoops like LeBron does 

5 yeah people are starting to forget about Greg oden and mike Conley 

6 only thing I know about Fort Wayne is the ft way mad ants

7 I’d like them to see them play Chicago Phillips two urban powerhouses going to head to head

8 don’t sleep on caston remember north white won it all in 94 anything can happen

9 I’d like to Radtke go to crown point I can’t remember the last time they had an offense

10 don’t even know where moorseville is

11 all I know about north central Eric Gordon and Jason Gardner 

12 things change who would of thought the big ten would stretch from New Jersey to Nebraska and have 14 teams?

24 minutes ago, DT said:

7. Merrillville is loaded with several D1 signees and the Pirates smoked Catholic rival Andrean 40-13 Friday night.  I think this matchup has turned a bit too one sided in Merrillville's favor and its time for the Pirates to seek out some big game comepetition in non con play.  Id like to see some one like Homewood Flossmoor, Center Grove, Cathedral or Chicago Mt Carmel replace the 59ers on the Merrillville schedule.

That’d be impossible since Illinois doesn’t start playing until week 2 in Indiana. 

And no. The series went 5-5 over the last decade. Classic rivalry that won’t end any time soon. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DT said:

1. Penn and Valpo hit on something very smart.  Saturday afternoon football under God's beautiful natural daylight.  With college football on the shelf, the IHSAA should jump on this and take advantage of the next 2 months of open Saturdays and play high school football   The Kingsmen and Vikings played a great non con opener to kickoff the season.  

6.  Would like to hear more about whats going on at FW North Side.  The Legends blew out SAC kingpin Snider 47-17 in Friday nights opener.  Dwenger and Carroll are up in the next two weeks so the scedule maker decided to put the screws to North Side to open the season.  Homestead also lost to Northrup.  Whats going on in The SAC?

8. Contraction Candidate Caston opened the season with a resounding 38-6 win over West Central.  Congratulations to the Comets and to first year HC Will Porter on the big opening win. 

1.   It doesn't get much better than Friday nights in my opinion, but I do agree that they should feature more games on Saturday with half of college football shutting down their programs. Are the Kingsmen back to form? All I've been hearing this year is how great Valpo is. 

6.   Parity this year in the SAC. While Homestead and Snider are treading down, the other eight teams are trending up. Keep an eye on Carroll, this team could be dangerous on a state-wide level. 

Under Mike Brevard's direction, North Side has shown improvement in each of his first three seasons. This will be season number four and D1 recruit Duce Taylor may be better than advertised. They appear to be a complete team. I was impressed with how they competed with a talented Snider team down in the trenches on both sides of the ball. It's hard telling how deep this team could go in the playoffs, but unfortunately for them, they are in Dwenger's sectional. 

7.   How bout them Comets?!?! Snapping a 29 game losing streak in impressive fashion. Hopefully there is more of that this year. Good luck to them.

I mean. Brady Allen finished with 20-37 for 211 yards and 1 touchdown  No turnovers. Opening possession they were first and goal at the 1 and were stopped.  

The game played out where GS was able to move the ball a little bit. Then they got to midfield and were forced to punt. CN then was able to just run run run and put another TD up.  Score says it was a blowout but it was more of a steady feed of scores from CN instead of GS being completely unable to do anything.  

13 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I mean. Brady Allen finished with 20-37 for 211 yards and 1 touchdown  No turnovers. Opening possession they were first and goal at the 1 and were stopped.  

The game played out where GS was able to move the ball a little bit. Then they got to midfield and were forced to punt. CN then was able to just run run run and put another TD up.  Score says it was a blowout but it was more of a steady feed of scores from CN instead of GS being completely unable to do anything.  

DT went to IU. He relishes any attempt he can get to take a dig at the Old Gold & Black.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DT said:

On the flipside contraction candidate '4A' Frankfort lost to in-county rival 1A Clinton Central 20-16.   Third consecutive victory for the Bulldogs over the Hot Dogs.  Frankfort's losing streak now stands at 22 consecutive games.  It was also a nice win for hall-of-fame coach George Gilbert's return to the Clinton Central family.

Also interesting is that Sunday afternoon Clinton Central announced they are moving to e-learning to for the next two weeks due to a covid outbreak, and all athletic events have been cancelled.  So now the 1-0 Bulldogs won't be able to play another one of their rivals,  Sheridan, on 8/28.

36 minutes ago, TRCJunkie said:

Knox is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Southwood is coming off 3 straight conference championships with a handful of returning starters. Both teams should be solid. 

Did you see the game?

If yes, what kind of size does Knox have along the offensive and defensive lines?

Are the kids mobile?

46 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

DT went to IU. He relishes any attempt he can get to take a dig at the Old Gold & Black.

Guilty as Charged  😁

For #2, I believe BD has only been lifting since last week, while Brownsburg was able to get into the weightroom their first week back in July.....wonder if that could have played a part in the lopsided outcome of the game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

For #2, I believe BD has only been lifting since last week, while Brownsburg was able to get into the weightroom their first week back in July.....wonder if that could have played a part in the lopsided outcome of the game. 

Brownsburg has become what Ben Davis used to be.  A high school campus where the football program is the number one priority.  

11 hours ago, region said:

That’d be impossible since Illinois doesn’t start playing until week 2 in Indiana. 

And no. The series went 5-5 over the last decade. Classic rivalry that won’t end any time soon. 

Good points.  Perhaps when Andrean moves to Crown Point, some of the rivalry will be diminshed.  fact is Andrean is fighting to maintain enrollment in the 550 range.  Merrillville is at 2100.  I think Merrillville fans would love to see how their team stacks up against elite out of state competition or top notch Indy teams like Center Grove, Brownsburg, etc

Personally, my two favorites are Merrillville- HF and Merrillville -CG.  Both would be fantastic on a Saturday at Demaree.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Did you see the game?

If yes, what kind of size does Knox have along the offensive and defensive lines?

Are the kids mobile?

Knox has some size, they're similar to size from last year. I think they will start clicking within the next couple of weeks, but this week could be a rough week for them playing Marian. 

12 hours ago, DT said:

1. I agree. With many area D3 conferences moving to a spring schedule this season, should open up plenty of Saturday opportunities if needed (and some much needed referees as well)

5. McCulley is a heck of an athlete and I wish him well this season. Only sticking point with LN could be how their defense plays. Of course, if you are scoring 60+ points a game... who cares about defense? 😛 They might do it back to back weeks with their game at Marion (who lost to Eastbrook 39-18)

6. North Side's QB is a stud, but he is not the only horse in the stable. The Legends could be legit this year and the next two weeks will give some more insight. As well, how about Northrop winning their first ever victory over Homestead in school history. It will be interesting to see if they can put together a solid season. The Bruins have always had plenty of athletes walking their hallways, but for some reason has not seen it translate into much success on the gridiron. As well, Homestead's loss of QB Luke Goode to focus on basketball (committed to Illinois) played a part in this. The Spartans will still be a solid team when this season is all said and done.

9. Southwood is far from some slouching 1A program. They have gone 41-8 over the last 4 seasons with 2 undefeated regular seasons and 2 sectional championships in that time frame. As well, if losing a game 29-26 is considered a "thud", you and I have vastly different definitions my friend. I have a feeling Knox will end up just fine this season and will push Pioneer for an HNAC title and will end up being their sectional favorites.

12. A little suprised by this final score as well, but excited to welcome the Cavement to the NLC!

19 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

1. I agree. With many area D3 conferences moving to a spring schedule this season, should open up plenty of Saturday opportunities if needed (and some much needed referees as well)

5. McCulley is a heck of an athlete and I wish him well this season. Only sticking point with LN could be how their defense plays. Of course, if you are scoring 60+ points a game... who cares about defense? 😛 They might do it back to back weeks with their game at Marion (who lost to Eastbrook 39-18)

6. North Side's QB is a stud, but he is not the only horse in the stable. The Legends could be legit this year and the next two weeks will give some more insight. As well, how about Northrop winning their first ever victory over Homestead in school history. It will be interesting to see if they can put together a solid season. The Bruins have always had plenty of athletes walking their hallways, but for some reason has not seen it translate into much success on the gridiron. As well, Homestead's loss of QB Luke Goode to focus on basketball (committed to Illinois) played a part in this. The Spartans will still be a solid team when this season is all said and done.

9. Southwood is far from some slouching 1A program. They have gone 41-8 over the last 4 seasons with 2 undefeated regular seasons and 2 sectional championships in that time frame. As well, if losing a game 29-26 is considered a "thud", you and I have vastly different definitions my friend. I have a feeling Knox will end up just fine this season and will push Pioneer for an HNAC title and will end up being their sectional favorites.

12. A little suprised by this final score as well, but excited to welcome the Cavement to the NLC!

https://www.google.com/search?q=thud&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS908US908&oq=thud&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4j46j0l2.2977j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is how I would describe Knox's week one expectations and the following reality   Lets face it.  They werent playing the Chicago Bears, or Ohio State, or Warren Central.  

58 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Most of these observations have to be taken in the context of Coach Nowlin's thread, Word of Caution, Reserve Judgments for....

Most of the teams that surprised or disappointed opening night will be true to form by week 4........ if we make it that far!

I know.  One game is played and you think the whole world changed.  Rust has to be shaken off, etc.

#2...nope. Never happened before. The program is so much in trouble that it won the MIC last year and finished in the Final Four. We'll see what happens as the year plays out. First game was not what anyone wanted or expected, but Brownsburg is for real. They looked to be in midseason form. BD was hanging on from the start.

#3 CG looks like the 6A juggernaut this year. Brownsburg may very well be #2.

#5 You nailed it on Coach Mallory. He's done a stellar job. 

#6 Good to see Coach Brevard (a BD alum) having success at North Side. He's really been working hard to change that culture. A GREAT human being.

#11 Coach O'Shea's doing fine work at NC.

33 minutes ago, DT said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thud&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS908US908&oq=thud&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4j46j0l2.2977j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is how I would describe Knox's week one expectations and the following reality   Lets face it.  They werent playing the Chicago Bears, or Ohio State, or Warren Central.  

The Warriors would cold cock Knox right upside their heads if they were to meet. I mean, Knox is a Class 3A school. Warren Central is 6A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

The Warriors would cold cock Knox right upside their heads if they were to meet. I mean, Knox is a Class 3A school. Warren Central is 6A.

LOL

He doesnt get it.

Millenial?

I looks like North Side has a good team this year, led by Taylor, RB looked good as well and the O & D lines outplayed Snider. We will see in next two weeks if they are contenders or pretenders. I think Snider is young and will be a 5-4 or 6-3 team this year. Northrop I hear has a pretty good RB and always seems to have talent but have problem getting that together. Maybe this is the year the Legends and Bruins get some respect. Concordia will also be worth a watch, I hear they have a pretty good D to go along with the O.  May be the most balanced SAC I've seen in a longgggg time.