Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mid-State Week 2

Some great games and surprises week 1 from the Mid-State. 5-3 in my picks last week. 

Going into week 2:

Greenwood (1-0) vs Indian Creek(1-0) - Greenwood with a great win at Bloomington North last week. Indian Creek has a very talented running back, but if Greenwood can stop him they win. Greenwood 35-21

Martinsville (1-0) vs Bloomington South (0-1) - If you would've asked me last week I would've said BS big, but I think this one comes down to who turns the ball over less. Bloomington South 28-24

DC (0-1) vs Gueirn Catholic (1-0)- DC will bounce back after playing the #1 team in the state. DC 35-14

Plainfield (0-1) vs Tri-West (1-0)- Plainfield 27-14

Franklin (0-1) vs Shelbyville (0-1)- Tough loss for Franklin last week. Franklin should score at will this week.  49-0

Mooresville (1-0) vs Danville (1-0)- Danville looking to take down back to back Mid-State opponents. Mooresville 35-21

Perry  (0-1) vs Southport (0-0) - Southport 42-21

Whiteland (1-0) vs Gibson Southern (0-1)- GS has a stud of a qb, but I think Whiteland it too much to handle. 49-21

Week 1 Power Ranking Mid State

Edited by FridayNightLights

Wouldnt you just love to see New Pal and Mt Vernon join the Mid State?

10 team conference with no need for games against schools like Gibson Southern, Indian Creek, Tri West, Shelbyville and Danville.  

This is now a big school conference.  Too many smaller schools on the non con schedule.  

2 hours ago, DT said:

Wouldnt you just love to see New Pal and Mt Vernon join the Mid State?

10 team conference with no need for games against schools like Gibson Southern, Indian Creek, Tri West, Shelbyville and Danville.  

This is now a big school conference.  Too many smaller schools on the non con schedule.  

I think there are pros and cons to 10 team conferences. I am in favor of the open weeks as long as schools schedule properly. DC has taken the opposite route of most in the conference and scheduled 2 strong out of conference games in New Pal and CG. Perry still gets to play their longtime rivals and close schools in Southport and FC. Both Tri-West and Danville could probably be competitive with the lower half of the mid state this year. Danville beat Franklin last week. 

Danville and Tri West are both solid programs.  I used to be against the 10 team conference and the 9 game all conference round robin schedule.

But Covid has helped change my mind on that front.

Chesterton , a 6A school, this week will play 2 A Pioneer.  Yes, Pioneer is a beast and this will probably be the biggest game in the history of their school, but its still 6A vs 2A.  Thats not what the IHSAA had in mind when it created the class system.

I think ADs and Admins are thinking more loca;lly and conservatively when it comes to travel in this new era.  The certainty of the 9 game round robin takes a lot of potential headaches away from coaches and ADs.  

The SAC is a rock solid 10 team conference.

The SIAC just expanded to 10 with the addition of stellar programs Jasper and Vincennes.

I would not be shocked if at some time, Penn and Elkhart will both join the Duneland.  

Mt Vernon and New Pal fit the competitive and educational profile of the Mid State.  

Covid and its long  term negative impact on select programs around the state could push consoliation and/or expansion at the high school level in the near future.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Chesterton , a 6A school, this week will play 2 A Pioneer.  Yes, Pioneer is a beast and this will probably be the biggest game in the history of their school, but its still 6A vs 2A.  Thats not what the IHSAA had in mind when it created the class system.

You could not be more wrong.

3 hours ago, DT said:

Danville and Tri West are both solid programs.  I used to be against the 10 team conference and the 9 game all conference round robin schedule.

I think ADs and Admins are thinking more loca;lly and conservatively when it comes to travel in this new era.  The certainty of the 9 game round robin takes a lot of potential headaches away from coaches and ADs.  

The SIAC just expanded to 10 with the addition of stellar programs Jasper and Vincennes.

I would not be shocked if at some time, Penn and Elkhart will both join the Duneland.  

Mt Vernon and New Pal fit the competitive and educational profile of the Mid State.  

Covid and its long  term negative impact on select programs around the state could push consoliation and/or expansion at the high school level in the near future.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bloomington North and South added in if two were to join. Probably makes more sense logistically than the east side schools for most of the conference. Doubt it happens though. The two added into the SIAC probably will never compete for a conference championship. The SAC has their top tier Ft. Wayne schools. Being in central Indy gives the schools opportunities to branch out a bit. Again, I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't see them going to a 10 school conference.

7 minutes ago, FridayNightLights said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Bloomington North and South added in if two were to join. Probably makes more sense logistically than the east side schools for most of the conference. Doubt it happens though. The two added into the SIAC probably will never compete for a conference championship. The SAC has their top tier Ft. Wayne schools. Being in central Indy gives the schools opportunities to branch out a bit. Again, I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't see them going to a 10 school conference.

I think the Jasper people might disagree with you on that point.  

8 minutes ago, FridayNightLights said:

I think the experience with Conference Indiana has proven that a Bloomington-Indianapolis conference partnership does not seem to work.  Not only is distance an issue, therer are significant cultural differences berween the two cities.  

Mt Vernon and New Pal are a part of the Indy metro.

Bloomington is not.  And does not care to be.

Bloomingtons hope for membership in a 10 team conference lies to the south with the Hoosier Hills, their rightful home.

10 minutes ago, DT said:

I think the experience with Conference Indiana has proven that a Bloomington-Indianapolis conference partnership does not seem to work.  Not only is distance an issue, therer are significant cultural differences berween the two cities.  

Mt Vernon and New Pal are a part of the Indy metro.

Bloomington is not.  And does not care to be.

Bloomingtons hope for membership in a 10 team conference lies to the south with the Hoosier Hills, their rightful home.

I wouldn't consider a conference with Martinsville, Whiteland, Franklin and Mooresville too far off in cultural differences. I don't think any of those schools would consider themselves metro area.

I disagree

I look at Indy as basically a 3 core circle

Core 1, the center, is the city and the downtown area, expanding out towards 465.  Core 2 is the first outer layer, the township layer.  Warrem, Wayne, Decatur, etc.    Core 3 is the first suburban loop, which would include Mooresville, and too an  extent, the other communities listed.  

Edited by DT

3 hours ago, DT said:

Bringing up Chesterton and Pioneer is low hanging fruit at an attempt to prove a point. Don't let one week/season change your mind that a 10 team conference and 9 game round robin schedule sucks. We could be back to normal next year and all cancellations due to Covid are no longer happening. I'm sure the SIAC fans miss seeing the likes of Southridge, Henderson, and various other Owensboro schools in Non-Conference play. I miss the few years the SAC wasn't round robin and schools like Snider and Dwenger tested themselves in OOC play. Back to Chesterton, they originally had Class 5A power Chicago St. Rita scheduled in week 2. I'm not sure who Pioneer had in week 2. Nevertheless, 2A vs. 6A isn't ideal, but kudos to them for at least finding an opponent and not taking the week off. 

The Duneland originally only wanted Penn and Mishawaka when discussions heated up a few years back. Both wouldn't budge unless Elkhart Central was included. IDK. I want to agree with you, but I'll still be surprised if it happens. This is a good lineup: 

DAC West: Lake Central, Crown Point, Merrillville, Portage,  Chesterton

DAC East: Valpo, Michigan City, LaPorte, Penn, Elkhart

I agree. I watched what I could of the Mt. Vernon/Noblesville game until my eyes couldn't take any more of that beating and the MV team just didn't look like a Hoosier Heritage team. They were big and athletic. From a size and geographical standpoint, both schools seem to have outgrown their current Conference. 

Edited by Boilernation

15 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Bringing up Chesterton and Pioneer is low hanging fruit at an attempt to prove a point. Don't let one week/season change your mind that a 10 team conference and 9 game round robin schedule sucks. We could be back to normal next year and all cancellations due to Covid are no longer happening. I'm sure the SIAC fans miss seeing the likes of Southridge, Henderson, and various other Owensboro schools in Non-Conference play. I miss the few years the SAC wasn't round robin and schools like Snider and Dwenger tested themselves in OOC play. Back to Chesterton, they originally had Class 5A power Chicago St. Rita scheduled in week 2. I'm not sure who Pioneer had in week 2. Nevertheless, 2A vs. 6A isn't ideal, but kudos to them for at least finding an opponent and not taking the week off. 

The Duneland originally only wanted Penn and Mishawaka when discussions heated up a few years back. Both wouldn't budge unless Elkhart Central was included. IDK. I want to agree with you, but I'll still be surprised if it happens. This is a good lineup: 

DAC West: Lake Central, Crown Point, Merrillville, Portage,  Chesterton

DAC East: Valpo, Michigan City, LaPorte, Penn, Elkhart

I agree. I watched what I could of the Mt. Vernon/Noblesville game until my eyes couldn't take any more of that beating and the MV team just didn't look like a Hoosier Heritage team. They were big and athletic. From a size and geographical standpoint, both schools seem to have outgrown their current Conference. 

Low hanging fruit or not, its still good fruit, and if I were in the area, I would gladly be a paying customer just to watch for the novelty of it.

It would be like watching  the Bears vs IU.  How could you not be attracted to such a matchup?  

Now watch Pioneer blitz the Trojans.  LOL

Jasper and Vincennes to the SIAC are like Penn State and Nebraska to the Big Ten.  Not Rutgers and Maryland.

No need for divisions in a 10 team DAC.  Do it like the Big 12.  Everybody plays everybody every year.  

The new Elkhart is a better DAC fit than the old Mishawaka.  But it wont happen.  The time zone issue is a non starter for DAC schools.  Too bad, really.  Maybe Laporte and MC can threaten to leave the conference if they dont expand and invite Penn and ELK

If you take MLB as a model, they wanted to keep travel to a minimum which is why the Cubs (sorry, the FIRST PLACE CUBS) are playing Detroit this week as opposed to any of the NL West teams.  Additionally, football is far from the only sanctioned sport in the IHS Double A.  How you would like to be on the Lake Central wrestling team and go all the way to Elkhart or Mishawaka on a Thursday night and have to take an Economics exam the next morning?

12 hours ago, FridayNightLights said:

Some great games and surprises week 1 from the Mid-State. 5-3 in my picks last week. 

Going into week 2:

Greenwood (1-0) vs Indian Creek(1-0) - Greenwood with a great win at Bloomington North last week. Indian Creek has a very talented running back, but if Greenwood can stop him they win. Greenwood 35-21

Martinsville (1-0) vs Bloomington South (0-1) - If you would've asked me last week I would've said BS big, but I think this one comes down to who turns the ball over less. Bloomington South 28-24

DC (0-1) vs Gueirn Catholic (1-0)- DC will bounce back after playing the #1 team in the state. DC 35-14

Franklin (0-1) vs Shelbyville (0-1)- Tough loss for Franklin last week. Franklin should score at will this week.  49-0

Mooresville (1-0) vs Danville (1-0)- Danville looking to take down back to back Mid-State opponents. Mooresville 35-21

Whiteland (1-0) vs Gibson Southern (0-1)- GS has a stud of a qb, but I think Whiteland it too much to handle. 49-21

Greenwood 27 Indian Creek 22

Bloomington South 31 Martinsville 13

DC 45 Guerin Catholic 7

Plainfield 28 Tri West 7

Franklin 42 Shelbyville 0

Mooresville 36 Danville 22

Whiteland 44 Gibson Southern 17

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

Perry vs Southport is cancelled due to a Southport player testing positive for Covid. 

One would hope with the new CDC update that was released today, that this type of complete overreaction will end soon.

If schools are actually paying attention that is. 

9 hours ago, PhilLee said:

One would hope with the new CDC update that was released today, that this type of complete overreaction will end soon.

If schools are actually paying attention that is. 

Exactly, one would hope! Just crazy to me how each county is so drastically different with their Covid-restrictions when it comes down to a positive test on a team. 

The Mid-State, and SIAC, are probably the two best 4A-5A conferences in the state...Add two power programs in Mt. Vernon/New Pal OR BSouth/BNorth, it'd only make their competitive profile even more impressive! 

Hoping Coach Spinks and Indian Creek can pull of the W against the Woodmen this Friday. 

12 hours ago, Gipper said:

If you take MLB as a model, they wanted to keep travel to a minimum which is why the Cubs (sorry, the FIRST PLACE CUBS) are playing Detroit this week as opposed to any of the NL West teams.  Additionally, football is far from the only sanctioned sport in the IHS Double A.  How you would like to be on the Lake Central wrestling team and go all the way to Elkhart or Mishawaka on a Thursday night and have to take an Economics exam the next morning?

Ive heard this argument made many times in the past.  Realistically, by adding Elkhart and Penn to the DAC , you are asking Central time zone schools to make one trip per season to the eastern time zone, as the schedule makers would rotate home and away trips to the east every other year.  Is that really too big of a burden for the CST DAC schools?  Also, the trip for MC and Laporte is much shorter.  

23 hours ago, DT said:

Danville will soon have the enrollment to complete in Mid-State.  They will most likely be 4A next realignment.  Tri-West would struggle in the MidState.   Actually, we need to drop Plainfield and pick up a better matchup.

54 minutes ago, superjay said:

Danville will soon have the enrollment to complete in Mid-State.  They will most likely be 4A next realignment.  Tri-West would struggle in the MidState.   Actually, we need to drop Plainfield and pick up a better matchup.

Tri-West and Danville would both be bottom tier but still compete with the mid to lower tier of the mid state. I don't think either would want to join or feel the need to join the Mid-State with their success in the Sagamore. Unless Danville gets another 400+ kids in their school they are not the size to be considering mid-state. 

On 8/24/2020 at 8:44 AM, FridayNightLights said:

Going into week 2:

Update in schedule. DC will be taking on Perry Friday night due to Gueirn cancelling all sports until 9/7. I'll take DC 42-7.