Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Brownsburg vs. Cincinnati St. Xavier

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Watching the game,  WHY WAS ST X THROWING ???    Great job by Bulldogs, but man, just silly,  I KNOW THIS BOMBER would be running the rock, silly Ohio Bombers!!

Go Dogs!!!

Did you see that Bulldog Dline?  They were dominant.  St. X had zero ability to move the ball on the ground.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Bobref said:

Same old X. Not flashy. They just out-execute you. What’s impressive to me is that this is their first game, and Brownsburg ’s second. I’ve heard a lot of coaches say you make your most improvement from your first to your second game.

Brownsburg is clearly very good. They’re actually playing toe-to-to with X, for the most part.

If you’re a fan of Ohio high school football, be sure to catch defending big school champ Pickerington Central opening up against crosstown rival North at noon tomorrow on one of the ESPN channels.

Would not be surprised if Central won it again this year. They have some very talented athletes. 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Watching the game,  WHY WAS ST X THROWING ???    Great job by Bulldogs, but man, just silly,  I KNOW THIS BOMBER would be running the rock, silly Ohio Bombers!!

Go Dogs!!!

I total get what you're saying Coach. In all honesty I don't think running it 3 straight plays would have made a difference in the outcome of the game. St. X ran the ball 29 times and had 10 yards total rushing.  There was still time left and Brownsburg I believe had all 3 timeouts. That being said it might have been better to throw a screen pass if you were throwing. Something high percentage completion and more like a run.

2 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

Did you see that Bulldog Dline?  They were dominant.  St. X had zero ability to move the ball on the ground.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I total get what you're saying Coach. In all honesty I don't think running it 3 straight plays would have made a difference in the outcome of the game. St. X ran the ball 29 times and had 10 yards total rushing.  There was still time left and Brownsburg I believe had all 3 timeouts. That being said it might have been better to throw a screen pass if you were throwing. Something high percentage completion and more like a run.

How many Timeouts did Brownsburg have?    Make Them burn them, even if they go 3 and out and only burn 90 seconds or so, you punt the ball, flip the field and make Brownsburg go longer than 30 some yards.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

He is a St Ed’s alumn. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

Hmmm.  Thought he went to Munster.  Played for Coach Friend

You”re both sort of right. I went to St. Ed’s my 1st 3 yrs. of high school. Then my family moved to Indiana and I finished my senior year at Munster.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

How many Timeouts did Brownsburg have?    Make Them burn them, even if they go 3 and out and only burn 90 seconds or so, you punt the ball, flip the field and make Brownsburg go longer than 30 some yards.   

Like I said I totally get it and know that is what you should do and agree. I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the game. Momentum was definitely swinging.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Brownsburg is a very good team , maybe the best in Indiana .  I don't see them beating St X if X had a game under there belt like Brownsburg did .I wouldn't call it a ST X choke job , I would call it 1st game mistakes .  Teams improve the most between games 1 and 2 . Was very impressed with Brownsburg though . 

No doubt Brownsburg is a very good team, but I thought X thoroughly outplayed them all but 3-4 minutes. I’ve seen X play a dozen times over the years and that was a very uncharacteristic X game plan. I don’t understand X throwing the ball up late or don’t understand why X didn’t have their returners up considering Brownsburg was directional kicking the entire night. 

But all in all, just about everything had to go wrong in order for X to lose that game and here we are.

Edited by Footballking16

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

At the very worst, X runs 3 times and Brownsburg burns all 3 timeouts and X is punting the ball around midfield with 2 minutes left. Easters up until the last drive, as momentum had finally swung, was pretty disappointing. I think he was 9-23 passing with a couple interceptions. I’m taking my chances forcing Brownsburg to throw the ball down field with no timeouts left.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

At the very worst, X runs 3 times and Brownsburg burns all 3 timeouts and X is punting the ball around midfield with 2 minutes left. Easters up until the last drive, as momentum had finally swung, was pretty disappointing. I think he was 9-23 passing with a couple interceptions. I’m taking my chances forcing Brownsburg to throw the ball down field with no timeouts left.

St. Xavier's problem was they couldn't run the ball at all against Brownsburg 29 carries for net 10 yards was not good at all. Yes they definitely should have ran the ball 3 times and forced Brownsburg to burn timeouts. Punting was going to be shakey just as well for St. X after what just happened previously with a terrible snap. Easter's problem was up until the 4th quarter 75% of his incomplete passes were targeted to Terrell on deep balls (fades wheel route). When they finally figured out that Lacey was open underneath and they could hit the RB out of the backfield they started moving the ball. Terrell is a great WR but St. X was keying on him. 

If St. X could run the ball better they would have won the game. I credit that to Brownsburg front 7 they bottled up the run all night. This was the first start for McCaughey with no run game he was eventually going to make a mistake. You could definitely tell it was St. X's first game and the lack of summer practices definitely made a difference for a team like St. X. They typically play very fundamental and don't make many mistakes waiting for the other team to make a mistake.  

15 minutes ago, Robert said:

Didn't the referees make some very shaky decisions early?  😂  Brownsburg would have slaughtered them.  🙂 

I didn’t see any “shaky” decisions, early or any other time. There were a couple of judgment calls that could have gone either way, but those exist in every game. I thought the crew was solid. I especially like the no call on potential DPI when the WR and the DB tangled feet. That is a scenario that is not well understood by many coaches and officials (and almost all fans), and the pressure to throw the flag in that situation can be enormous. 

I don’t spend any time on Yappi, but are the Ohio folks complaining about the officiating? Seems every time one of our teams loses a close game in Ohio, there’s always a ridiculous outcry about getting “homered.”

23 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Go Dogs!!!

I just watched the 4th quarter & OT online.  I admit I flipped it off and went to dinner with Brownsburg down 2 TD's and St X seemingly in control. 

The ball was snapped with exactly 2:00 on clock from the - 48 on 1st and 10. Brownsburg had 3 TO's. Taking a knee isn't advisable in that scenario until :50 seconds or so, but a run play, ANY run play and worst case you're punting from near midfield with 1:45 and the opponent having 0 timeouts. Dropback pass is a complete headscratcher.