Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral @ Carmel

Another fantastic performance for the Irish. The defense started a little slow the first two series and much credit given to an enormous Carmel O-Line, but the D tightened up nicely. Zane Hill had some nice stops in the first half. No huge defensive standouts in my mind. It was a true 11 Gold experience. 

Where do you begin offensively? The 3rd quarter breakout was as good of a performance in one quarter as I can remember. Cathedral took their first teams out with 10:20 in the 4th up 41-13. At that point, we had 557 total yards to Carmel’s 162. And, by the way, i absolutely love the Carmel statistician that tracks that real-time.

The jock from Sr. Roch, McCahill, proves that he is an all-around player. His passes are crisp and accurate, but his field presence is his biggest asset. Spreading the rock to 8 different receivers and using his feet when he had to. The real MVP and the growing story is the Offensive Line. The protection was fantastic and they wore down the Greyhounds. Even with OT Cooper Koers out for the last 1.5 quarters w cramps/ankle, they delivered amazimg holes for our very strong and quick RBs Jake Langdon and Seth “don’t call me Spencer” Mencer. 

Also a shout out to kickers from both schools, all three kicks (2 from Carmel and 1 from CHS’s Ben Gomez) would have likely been good from 50 yards. 3 absolute accurate bombs by these boys. 

Can’t wait to travel to Penn for the first meeting of these two storied programs. It will be Cathedral’s 161st new opponent. See you in South Bend. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy

29 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Does anyone have the Cathedral Freshman and JV scores from last week and this week?  I can't seem to fine them anywhere.

Irish freshmen over Carmel 20-14 final per Cathedral Fball Twitter account. No report as yet on JV. 

1 hour ago, Olympian06 said:

Cathedral fans,

Would you say this team has the ceiling to be as good as some of those mid 2000 teams? This team seems to be on an excellent path so far this year, and I remember many fans last year talking about how excited they were for this years team.

I’d say better.

Bigger, faster, stronger than any Cathedral team  I’ve seen in a long while. May not have the top end individual talent as some of those teams, but collectively this team looks dominant. I think biggest question coming into this year was replacing 4 OL. Not only has that question been answered, but by the time these guys finally gel, look out.

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I’d say better.

Bigger, faster, stronger than any Cathedral team  I’ve seen in a long while. May not have the top end individual talent as some of those teams, but collectively this team looks dominant. I think biggest question coming into this year was replacing 4 OL. Not only has that question been answered, but by the time these guys finally gel, look out.

Awesome to hear, should be a great season for the Irish... CE is kinda In a lose-lose situation.. if we were in 5A we would have to go thru Cathedral, since we are in 6A is Center Grove.. probably the Top 2 teams in the state. 

Good Luck the rest of the year. 

Edited by Olympian06

If the Irish stay healthy they have incredible potential!  This is the best I've seen an Irish offense play since the 1996 undefeated season.  All the weapons are there and the play calling has been impeccable!  And the defensive coaches seem to be able to make adjustments on the sideline.  I think some of us don't realize just how young this team is too.  They should get better.  Let's hope we can continue to play and hopefully we can get back to some kind of normalcy soon.

BTW, I go back to the mid 1950's and I don't remember the Irish scoring 100 points in their first two games.  And it was against very good competition also.  It should be fun at Penn next week.  I sure hope I get to see it in person.

Edited by PHJIrish

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I’d say better.

How is my boy Owen Wood looking?

14 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Cathedral fans,

Would you say this team has the ceiling to be as good as some of those mid 2000 teams? This team seems to be on an excellent path so far this year, and I remember many fans last year talking about how excited they were for this years team.

I’ve long contended the 2000 Cathedral offensive line was the best the state has ever had. They set the single season rushing record that held for 15 years with Otis Shannon. That O-line had 5 D1 players and 2 NFL guys on it: TE Mathias Kiwanuka (BC/NY Giants), LT Jeremy Trueblood (BC/Tampa Bay Bucs), LG Rufus Sanders (Western Kentucky), C Andrew Loehrer, RG Joe Byrne (Indiana St.), and RT Matt Hasbrook (Notre Dame). They also won 3 IHSAA titles in 4A. 

This year’s line has very similar talent, but plenty left to prove. I believe we have two NFL potentials in TE Brennan Wooten and LT Owen Wood. But, I also know we have at least 2 other firm D1 guys in RG Chris Farah and RT Cooper Koers. And, the real beauty is these guys are all juniors. 

This junior class is extremely special by our standards. They had the most insane freshmen schedule you could assemble and came out undefeated. Other than 1 TD victories at the Pit at Cincy Elder and a barnburner finale with Center Grove, they beat up the best teams in the Midwest. 38 juniors from that team are still part of this year’s Irish team. The future is bright. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy

On 8/29/2020 at 5:37 PM, Footballking16 said:

I’d say better.

I totally agree.  What is more crazy is that entire OL line which averages 6'4" and 280 lbs are juniors?

Long term can be amazing year, but to be honest with everything Covid19 I just take it one week at a time and hope the season and playoffs go 'as scheduled!'.

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

I totally agree.  What is more crazy is that entire OL line which averages 6'4" and 280 lbs are juniors?

Long term can be amazing year, but to be honest with everything Covid19 I just take it one week at a time and hope the season and playoffs go 'as scheduled!'.

One week at a time is all you can hope for this season.  I'm lucky I got to attend the Westfield game because I didn't get chosen to go to Carmel.  It was nice to watch on TV, but it's nothing like being there!