Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chicago Bears 2019/2020

Coach Nowlin

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I also have to give props to Jimmy Johnson, but I stand by my statement that most (but apparently not all) college coaches can get it done in the NFL, the methodology is way different.

I hear ya. Arians name just popped into my head reading this thread. 

46 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I hear ya. Arians name just popped into my head reading this thread. 

If I used bad grammar or misspelled a word, please let me know. Apparently that’s make or break here.  Truth be told, I’m a numbers guy and have my compliance department and assistant help me with my more meaningful statements.

Although I like having the Bears for a punching bag twice a season, I hope they can figure stuff out.  I still believe Nagy was a solid hire and should remain as coach.  Their defense can be good at times, sure New Orleans torched them a few weeks ago, but that can be chalked up to a bad day at the office which is akin to Purdue's showing, or lack thereof, against Illinois.  Therefore, I believe their real problem, to the surprise of nobody, is the offense.  Trubisky is not the guy, nor will never be the guy, therefore a change needs to be implemented.

They continue to be most successful under center with FB and single back to set up play action passes and bootleg action

Nagy continues to stop using reason and stay cute until cute looks like it continues to look, then he goes back to logic, which typically is too late to salvage. 

In a week where Packers, Lions, Vikings all lost......

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

They continue to be most successful under center with FB and single back to set up play action passes and bootleg action

Nagy continues to stop using reason and stay cute until cute looks like it continues to look, then he goes back to logic, which typically is too late to salvage. 

In a week where Packers, Lions, Vikings all lost......

Not a good week...

2 hours ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

How many of you Bears fans are on the Cam Newton bandwagon for next season? Or any other potential QB that is likely going to be leaving their current team?

NO 
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

2 hours ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

How many of you Bears fans are on the Cam Newton bandwagon for next season? Or any other potential QB that is likely going to be leaving their current team?

Not a Bears fan but think they would prefer Tom Brady to Cam Newton.

8 minutes ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

You forgot about finding a new QB and upgrading the O Line

Mitch is by product of coaches not coaching to his strengths.    That fall directly on OC, HC, QB coach. 

Bears did not lose that game last night because of #10

Here is a novel idea, have him under center more, downhill running, then utilize PA pass and Bootlegs to play to #10 strengths.   

It does not have to be this hard when you have a top tier defense

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Mitch is by product of coaches not coaching to his strengths.    That fall directly on OC, HC, QB coach. 

Bears did not lose that game last night because of #10

Here is a novel idea, have him under center more, downhill running, then utilize PA pass and Bootlegs to play to #10 strengths.   

It does not have to be this hard when you have a top tier defense

I'm listening to Kap & Co. and he has Jeff Dickerson on. JD believes they might just shut 10 down and get surgery on his shoulder, let him rehab, and see how he looks in the summer/training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. I don't know if it's that easy regarding the play-calling. The O-Line is absolutely dreadful. And even when Mitch is rolling out and finding time he can't hit an open WR. At this point when he does hit a WR in the hands they drop it. This offense has become unbelievably bad. Shame on me for looking forward to watching last nights game, staying up late (Eastern Time), then reading 20-30 minutes of twitter bashing from Chicago/National media. I could have saved myself the anguish of a brutal Monday morning in the office by going to bed at reasonable time and checking my phone this morning to see the inevitable Bears loss. 

On a side note, wouldn't any competent NFL GM have a slew of kickers visit Halas Hall this week to beat out Eddie? He has to be the worst kicker in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Yep, which is why signing Mr. Kapernick to a short term contract and letting him play does no real harm, and may end up being a surprising move.

While you're at it bring back Cutler. He's only 36, play action bootleg always was the offense he should've been in. He  never wanted to be a pocket passer. Never understood why he was forced to stand in the pocket and launch the ball 60 yards. I hear he has his own reality TV show now too. What's to lose? 

2 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

While you're at it bring back Cutler. He's only 36, play action bootleg always was the offense he should've been in. He  never wanted to be a pocket passer. Never understood why he was forced to stand in the pocket and launch the ball 60 yards. I hear he has his own reality TV show now too. What's to lose? 

Sure, may be a better backup than Chase Daniel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nick Foles Reportedly Traded from Jaguars to Bears for 4th-Round Comp. Pick: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757854-nick-foles-reportedly-traded-from-jaguars-to-bears-for-4th-round-comp-pick

The Jacksonville Jaguars are trading quarterback Nick Foles to the Chicago Bears, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Jacksonville will receive Chicago's compensatory fourth-round pick.

ESPN's Field Yates relayed the financial details:

Field Yates@FieldYates

The Bears will inherit the final three-years of Nick Foles' deal, which pays a base value of $50M. He slots in as their starter. The Jaguars will take on a dead cap charge of $18.75M for 2020, while stockpiling another draft pick as they go through a franchise transition.

Foles was one of the top quarterbacks on the free-agent market last year, and he parlayed that status into a four-year, $88 million deal with the Jaguars.

Jacksonville reached the AFC title game in 2017 before losing 11 games in 2018. The Jaguars sought to upgrade from Blake Bortles at quarterback, and signing Foles was the most straightforward option.

Things quickly unraveled, though.

Foles underwent surgery last September after breaking his clavicle in Week 1. He returned to the field in November but was benched for backup Gardner Minshew II in his third start back. All told, the 31-year-old threw for 736 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in four games.

Foles left the Philadelphia Eagles with the goal of proving himself as a starter. He was unable to achieve that in 2019, but now he's set to challenge Mitchell Trubisky for the lead role in Chicago.

Foles' second run with the Eagles showed how valuable he can be. Philadelphia's Super Bowl run in 2017 wouldn't have happened if he hadn't filled in so well for Carson Wentz and gotten hot in the playoffs.

Even though Trubisky is only set to enter his fourth season in the league, Chicago is approaching a crossroads with him.

The No. 2 overall pick in 2017 threw for 3,138 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 2019, regressing from his Pro Bowl campaign in 2018.

ESPN's Ed Werder reported Monday the Bears were looking to add Foles or Andy Dalton, which spoke volumes about how the front office viewed Trubisky.

Chicago wasn't going to head into another year with a career backup such as Chase Daniel as the only alternative.

Interesting.  Are we sure about this "slots in as their starter" remark from Mr. Yates?  Or will there be an honest-to-goodness competition between Mr. Foles and Mr. Trubisky for the starting job?