Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - The New 6A vs 1A Phenomenon

Guest DT

Given the tremendous success of the recent Pioneer - Chesterton and Gibson Southern - Columbus North matchups, Id like to see the schedule makers roll this new concept out so all areas of the state might have a chance to partake in the fun.

Here are some potential marquee matchups that will be sure to attract the attention of high school football fans across the great State of Indiana :

Ben Davis vs Caston  - The Comets are coming off their first win in 30 games and have some momentum under a new coaching staff.  BD is reeling after consecutive mercy ruls blowouts to HCC stalwarts Avon and Brownsburg.  The Giants might be ripe for the picking in this one.    Caston 28-24

Center Grove vs Edinburgh - This is a matchup that fans on the southside of Indy have longed for for years. I like the Trojans in a tight battle 17-14 in OT.

Merrillville vs Whiting - Region fans wont be shut out of the fun as the Pirates and Oilers rumble on the brisk Lake Michigan lakefront.  Whiting knows the prevailing wind patterns much better than the visiting Pirates and pull out a 38-28 upset with a wind aided second half aerial attack.

Lafayette Jeff vs South Newton - The Rebels bring out all the firepower they can muster, but cant hold off the mutidimentional Jeff offense as the Bronchos win going away 66-6.

Penn vs Adams Central - The Kingsman wanted nothing of this matchup when it was scheduled, and it sure showed as the Flying Jets bombarded the porous Penn defensive secondary in a 35-14 AC victory.  The Penn program is sufferring from severe self doubt after the loss 

Perry Meridian vs Indiana School for the Deaf  - This one was never in doubt.  Deaf dominates from start to finish in a 56-21 pasting of the 6A Falcons.  

Lawrence North vs Indianapolis Tindley - This all Indy affair draws a huge crowd to watch LN IU recruit Donaven McCulley light up the Tindley defense in a 42-14 Wildcat victory.  The Tindley Tigers keep it competitive in the second half, limiting the high powered LN offense two just two scores after the break.  

Warren Central vs Covenant Christian -  In the second game of a Saturday afternoon double header following the LN-Tindley battle, Covenant comes from behind with a furios 28 point fourth quarter rally and upsets the WC Warriors 42 38.  The CC fans storm the field at Tech High School and tear down the goal posts, destroy the press box and spray paint the CC Warrior logo at the 50 yard line.  Police are called and multiple arrests are made.

Homestead vs Prairie Heights - This is a matchup that northeast Indiana fans have long waited to come to fruition.  Due to scheduling difficulties and conference tie ins, the Spartans and Panthers have been unable to hook up until now,.  Dont expect to see a repeat of this one however, as the home standing Spartans took no mercy on the visitors as Homestead bludgeoned PH 86-0 in a game that was called off midway thru the fourth qrt.  

Lake Central vs Lake Station - in a battle for Lake County bragging rights, Station pulls out all the stops and beats the underperforming Blue Indians 21-20 as LC fails on a potential game winning two point conversion.  The Lake Central staff resigns en masse following the loss.  

Indianapolis Lutheran vs Carmel - both teams are stacked and loaded, and always near the top of their respective classes.  The Saints catch the Greyhounds on an off nite and pull of the 28-24 upset.  

Floyd Central vs Switzerland County - Southern Indiana gets in on the action, and Floyd puts on a show in a 66-24 win over the game but outmanned Pacers.  Despite the lopsided score, the two schools agree to schedule a home and home for 2025-2026 as fan interest in the game was exceptionally high.

Edited by DT

Any given Friday.

OK, so it’s a given that Pioneer isn’t your run of the mill 1A (or in this case 2A) program, but I was amazed they were able to hang with and eventually beat a 6A program.  Chesterton is no slouch athletically, so I just give a ton of credit to Pioneer’s well-seasoned (couldn’t resist :)) coaching staff.

18 hours ago, Gipper said:

Any given Friday.

OK, so it’s a given that Pioneer isn’t your run of the mill 1A (or in this case 2A) program, but I was amazed they were able to hang with and eventually beat a 6A program.  Chesterton is no slouch athletically, so I just give a ton of credit to Pioneer’s well-seasoned (couldn’t resist :)) coaching staff.

Are they Cajun, Kansas City, Texas, or Carolina seasoned? lol

On 8/30/2020 at 12:38 PM, Whiting89 said:

Whiting 1a in spirit 2a by enrollment thanks open enrollment 

I am not sure what you mean by this statement. Whiting is the 23 largest 2A football playing school out of 64 2A teams. The last count had Whiting with 477 students. To be 1A in football you would have to be at 380 or less. Out of 477 are you trying to say that 97 of them are there due to open enrollment?

37 minutes ago, sr1 said:

I am not sure what you mean by this statement. Whiting is the 23 largest 2A football playing school out of 64 2A teams. The last count had Whiting with 477 students. To be 1A in football you would have to be at 380 or less. Out of 477 are you trying to say that 97 of them are there due to open enrollment?

I believe a large majority of students come from out of district East Chicago and Hammond. Where as if we only took in whiting residents we’d be 1a. I believe there was a mad scramble to get more students as there was possible legislation saying you need X amount of students to be a school Corp and if you didn’t you would be absorbed by a neighboring district. Don’t get me started on that Nevada where I live now does it right by having corps but county, there is no reason for whiting to have school board and superintendent, should be absorbed into another Corp.

edit I believe it was from open enrollment whiting is landlocked in the past 30 years they may have erected 30 new single family homes not enough for large enrollment boost

Edited by Whiting89

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

I believe a large majority of students come from out of district East Chicago and Hammond. Where as if we only took in whiting residents we’d be 1a. I believe there was a mad scramble to get more students as there was possible legislation saying you need X amount of students to be a school Corp and if you didn’t you would be absorbed by a neighboring district. Don’t get me started on that Nevada where I live now does it right by having corps but county, there is no reason for whiting to have school board and superintendent, should be absorbed into another Corp.

edit I believe it was from open enrollment whiting is landlocked in the past 30 years they may have erected 30 new single family homes not enough for large enrollment boost

30 years ago Whiting had an enrollment of 382 students. Those numbers today would put them in 2A. I think over the last 30 years there have been more small schools start playing football as well as many schools enrollment going down. That has moved the line between 1A and 2A down.

Also the information I can find online shows that Whiting has built 158 new housing units since 1990. Don't know if those were single family homes or not. This information covers 1990 to 2018.

2 hours ago, sr1 said:

30 years ago Whiting had an enrollment of 382 students. Those numbers today would put them in 2A. I think over the last 30 years there have been more small schools start playing football as well as many schools enrollment going down. That has moved the line between 1A and 2A down.

Also the information I can find online shows that Whiting has built 158 new housing units since 1990. Don't know if those were single family homes or not. This information covers 1990 to 2018.

I think your off I graduated 20 years ago we had 260 students

here is the story of out of district students

also new housing replaced dilapidated houses so I don’t know what the net gain was   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nwitimes.com/news/local/tuition-students-flock-to-whiting/article_7c361879-d927-5516-b200-2a3043e96272.amp.html

On 8/30/2020 at 9:21 AM, DT said:

Warren Central vs Covenant Christian -  In the second game of a Saturday afternoon double header following the LN-Tindley battle, Covenant comes from behind with a furios 28 point fourth quarter rally and upsets the WC Warriors 42 38.  The CC fans storm the field at Tech High School and tear down the goal posts, destroy the press box and spray paint the CC Warrior logo at the 50 yard line.  Police are called and multiple arrests are made.

I chuckled at this post a lot. Though...Covenant doesn't play at Tech, I believe they play at Zionsville.

21 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

I think your off I graduated 20 years ago we had 260 students

here is the story of out of district students

also new housing replaced dilapidated houses so I don’t know what the net gain was   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nwitimes.com/news/local/tuition-students-flock-to-whiting/article_7c361879-d927-5516-b200-2a3043e96272.amp.html

I think I am not off. https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/whiting-enrollment-rises-percent/article_1af2cd0b-61de-5ba8-9eb6-ffb8cef142fa.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 9:21 AM, DT said:

Given the tremendous success of the recent Pioneer - Chesterton and Gibson Southern - Columbus North matchups, Id like to see the schedule makers roll this new concept out so all areas of the state might have a chance to partake in the fun.

Here are some potential marquee matchups that will be sure to attract the attention of high school football fans across the great State of Indiana :

Ben Davis vs Caston  - The Comets are coming off their first win in 30 games and have some momentum under a new coaching staff.  BD is reeling after consecutive mercy ruls blowouts to HCC stalwarts Avon and Brownsburg.  The Giants might be ripe for the picking in this one.    Caston 28-24

Center Grove vs Edinburgh - This is a matchup that fans on the southside of Indy have longed for for years. I like the Trojans in a tight battle 17-14 in OT.

Merrillville vs Whiting - Region fans wont be shut out of the fun as the Pirates and Oilers rumble on the brisk Lake Michigan lakefront.  Whiting knows the prevailing wind patterns much better than the visiting Pirates and pull out a 38-28 upset with a wind aided second half aerial attack.

Lafayette Jeff vs South Newton - The Rebels bring out all the firepower they can muster, but cant hold off the mutidimentional Jeff offense as the Bronchos win going away 66-6.

Penn vs Adams Central - The Kingsman wanted nothing of this matchup when it was scheduled, and it sure showed as the Flying Jets bombarded the porous Penn defensive secondary in a 35-14 AC victory.  The Penn program is sufferring from severe self doubt after the loss 

Perry Meridian vs Indiana School for the Deaf  - This one was never in doubt.  Deaf dominates from start to finish in a 56-21 pasting of the 6A Falcons.  

Lawrence North vs Indianapolis Tindley - This all Indy affair draws a huge crowd to watch LN IU recruit Donaven McCulley light up the Tindley defense in a 42-14 Wildcat victory.  The Tindley Tigers keep it competitive in the second half, limiting the high powered LN offense two just two scores after the break.  

Homestead vs Prairie Heights - This is a matchup that northeast Indiana fans have long waited to come to fruition.  Due to scheduling difficulties and conference tie ins, the Spartans and Panthers have been unable to hook up until now,.  Dont expect to see a repeat of this one however, as the home standing Spartans took no mercy on the visitors as Homestead bludgeoned PH 86-0 in a game that was called off midway thru the fourth qrt.  

Lake Central vs Lake Station - in a battle for Lake County bragging rights, Station pulls out all the stops and beats the underperforming Blue Indians 21-20 as LC fails on a potential game winning two point conversion.  The Lake Central staff resigns en masse following the loss.  

Indianapolis Lutheran vs Carmel - both teams are stacked and loaded, and always near the top of their respective classes.  The Saints catch the Greyhounds on an off nite and pull of the 28-24 upset.  

Floyd Central vs Switzerland County - Southern Indiana gets in on the action, and Floyd puts on a show in a 66-24 win over the game but outmanned Pacers.  Despite the lopsided score, the two schools agree to schedule a home and home for 2025-2026 as fan interest in the game was exceptionally high.

I will take penn -60 over AC... at half

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

I will take penn -60 over AC... at half

Might be a little hard if AC runs the play clock down on each snap and runs the ball non stop.