Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 3

1 hour ago, jets said:

How do I say this politely without causing a s&@$t storm?? Perhaps the vaunted SIAC is - how do you say...not as “vaunted”?? 

Jasper comes in and has a legit shot to claim the conference crown...😕

Memorial is experiencing a turnover after some great years

MD...well...let’s just say the success factor has benefited them moving Southridge out of their way. 

Central ...I guess they’re pretty good?? 

Now North has became the top dog?? 

Too bad sectionals USED to let all these arguments play themselves out- but not so much anymore...

I’ve said from day 1 Jasper is a great fit for SIAC. IMO best fit of any program in SW Indiana. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

How do I say this politely without causing a s&@$t storm?? Perhaps the vaunted SIAC is - how do you say...not as “vaunted”?? 

Jasper comes in and has a legit shot to claim the conference crown...😕

Memorial is experiencing a turnover after some great years

MD...well...let’s just say the success factor has benefited them moving Southridge out of their way. 

Central ...I guess they’re pretty good?? 

Now North has became the top dog?? 

Too bad sectionals USED to let all these arguments play themselves out- but not so much anymore...

Let's not forget Jasper's opponents are a combined 2-7 right now.

• Like 1

Memorial (0-3) @ Mater Dei (1-2) next week. Luckily they play in the SIAC and play each other. I bet both schools would hate to see a football powerhouse like Pike Central next Friday.

Based on enrollment, these are the two smallest schools in the conference. Maybe they can award a ‘small school SIAC champ’ trophy to the winner? I hear that’s a pretty big deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Memorial (0-3) @ Mater Dei (1-2) next week. Luckily they play in the SIAC and play each other. I bet both schools would hate to see a football powerhouse like Pike Central next Friday.

Based on enrollment, these are the two smallest schools in the conference. Maybe they can award a ‘small school SIAC champ’ trophy to the winner? I hear that’s a pretty big deal.

As if enrollment is the way high schools “should” be classified for sports in Indiana. Intelligent minds can disagree but I tend to go with the data that when it comes to P&Ps....it doesn’t matter much or at a minimum as much as it does with publics.  Say by a factor(multiplier) of “x”? 😁

5 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I just want to see who wins between Bosse and Harrison. Do you think they would win one or two games in the small PAC conference? Remember it was an SIAC poster who re-opened this yearly can of worms.

My fault. Should have just kept my trap shut. 

I will say - in response to the low blow comment about Pike Central and “small school division” ...the big school/small school thing was a SOLUTION to the Big 8 “leftover” teams. 

I was never personally in favor of it- but it did allow some teams to alter/change their schedule as they saw fit. 

If you think anyone’s gonna be pounding their chest because of a small school conference championship- well then you’re dreaming. We have always set our sights much higher- hence being the only school besides Memorial to be playing UP a class due to the success factor. 

MD can thank us later for their 2 sectional trophies (assuming they win this year) while we’re not there. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, jets said:

If you think anyone’s gonna be pounding their chest because of a small school conference championship- well then you’re dreaming. We have always set our sights much higher

Really?  If this were true you would be playing in the "big" division. 

1 hour ago, Alduflux said:

Really?  If this were true you would be playing in the "big" division. 

From where we sit- there’s not much difference in the 2. We just went where our enrollment put us. We’re still playing Gibson, HH ...we’d still be playing Jasper if they hadn’t jumped ship. 

You really think we were scared of the likes of Princeton, Washington, and whoever else makes up the big school conference. 

Give me a break...

3 minutes ago, jets said:

From where we sit- there’s not much difference in the 2. We just went where our enrollment put us. We’re still playing Gibson, HH ...we’d still be playing Jasper if they hadn’t jumped ship. 

You really think we were scared of the likes of Princeton, Washington, and whoever else makes up the big school conference. 

Give me a break...

The only other team in the big school division that Southridge does not play is Mt. Vernon. They have started out 3-0. Southridge beat them 43-14 last year.

3 hours ago, jets said:

My fault. Should have just kept my trap shut. 

I will say - in response to the low blow comment about Pike Central and “small school division” ...the big school/small school thing was a SOLUTION to the Big 8 “leftover” teams. 

I was never personally in favor of it- but it did allow some teams to alter/change their schedule as they saw fit. 

If you think anyone’s gonna be pounding their chest because of a small school conference championship- well then you’re dreaming. We have always set our sights much higher- hence being the only school besides Memorial to be playing UP a class due to the success factor. 

MD can thank us later for their 2 sectional trophies (assuming they win this year) while we’re not there. 

R u serious, Clark? Come back down to reality. If Harrell’s site is correct, MD is 8-6 against Southridge since 94. Lay off the Smirnoff Ices, MD is just fine sharing a sectional with Southridge. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jets said:

Give me a break...

I'm saying the only reason SR is in the small division is so they can hang more banners and puff their chest out.  The fact you schedule the top teams anyway is evidence that you competitively belong in the top division.  You could then find other top competition for your non conference games.

2 hours ago, Alduflux said:

I'm saying the only reason SR is in the small division is so they can hang more banners and puff their chest out.  The fact you schedule the top teams anyway is evidence that you competitively belong in the top division.  You could then find other top competition for your non conference games.

Is that the reason Jasper stays down in 4A for the state tournament? Why are they not playing up in 6A?

4 hours ago, sr1 said:

Is that the reason Jasper stays down in 4A for the state tournament? Why are they not playing up in 6A?

Perhaps you don't pay attention to high school football much but Jasper hasn't exactly been hanging many banners in 4A nor have they been claiming sectional titles that they didn't win the way SR fans have in this very thread.  If Jasper was interested in banner hanging then they wouldn't have joined the SIAC.  SR did the exact opposite, joined a division they are more likely to win versus the old PAC.

Not sure how this got turned into a PAC/Big 8 or Jasper-Southridge thread. I'll post my SW Indiana Top 10 - Week 4 edition in another thread later today.

Should I trust you guys who say Central is not the best team in the league? Is it possible Central "played down" to a lessor Memorial team and the Bears will rise to the occasion when they have to against Reitz, North, and Jasper?

How did Central beat Reitz by 42 in the regular season last year, but only lose by a touchdown in the sectional? This rise of Central over the past four seasons or so has me perplexed. 

2 hours ago, Alduflux said:

Perhaps you don't pay attention to high school football much but Jasper hasn't exactly been hanging many banners in 4A nor have they been claiming sectional titles that they didn't win the way SR fans have in this very thread.  If Jasper was interested in banner hanging then they wouldn't have joined the SIAC.  SR did the exact opposite, joined a division they are more likely to win versus the old PAC.

Not exactly. Southridge did not join a division, they were placed in the small division by the rules of the conference. Southridge is not even the biggest school in the small school division of the PAC. Jasper is a good fit for the SIAC. Of the 10 teams they are the 5th biggest. 

1 hour ago, sr1 said:

Not exactly. Southridge did not join a division, they were placed in the small division by the rules of the conference. Southridge is not even the biggest school in the small school division of the PAC. Jasper is a good fit for the SIAC. Of the 10 teams they are the 5th biggest. 

I don't care where SR is or where they thought they should be...they know what's best for them.  That said, my sources had indicated it was at least negotiable on what division you landed in.  Again, the beauty of the new setup, (If our SIAC brethren want to make ridiculous arguments about how tough the P&Ps have it in the SIAC with their tiny enrollments or not), is that schools in the PAC now have the freedom to create what they were looking for, whatever they felt suits them best.  It clearly has already given some schools new life, new energy and new media attention for the kids.  There is no downside.  And at the end of the day that is what drives folks in Evansville nuts is when other programs in the area get media attention.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Not sure how this got turned into a PAC/Big 8 or Jasper-Southridge thread. I'll post my SW Indiana Top 10 - Week 4 edition in another thread later today.

Should I trust you guys who say Central is not the best team in the league? Is it possible Central "played down" to a lessor Memorial team and the Bears will rise to the occasion when they have to against Reitz, North, and Jasper?

How did Central beat Reitz by 42 in the regular season last year, but only lose by a touchdown in the sectional? This rise of Central over the past four seasons or so has me perplexed. 

Many of us saw the rise of Central many years ago.  As we were building the TYFL Bob Zoss was doing a great job creating a quality youth league at Central...large, organized and popular 10 years ago.  Much of what you see now is a fruit of that labor combined with the typical shift of athletes to whatever the flavor of the day is in the SIAC.  That said, once the building was complete with youth facilities at North High School it took a large chunk out of the Central youth program and the energy has shifted the last 4 or 5 year to the North program.  The fruit of that labor is on the Horizon as well.

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

That said, once the building was complete with youth facilities at North High School it took a large chunk out of the Central youth program and the energy has shifted the last 4 or 5 year to the North program.  The fruit of that labor is on the Horizon as well.

I'm not familiar with the Evansville youth programs.  Does this mean a rise of North should coincide with a fall of Central?

Just now, Alduflux said:

I'm not familiar with the Evansville youth programs.  Does this mean a rise of North should coincide with a fall of Central?

I don't mean to imply that....and youth programs are only a piece of the puzzle.  That said, it is one good indicator of future success.  So Central might be able to maintain for a long time, I'm not sure we shall see.  But....North has some good indicators for increasing traction on the horizon.

On 9/6/2020 at 8:20 PM, sr1 said:

The only other team in the big school division that Southridge does not play is Mt. Vernon. They have started out 3-0. Southridge beat them 43-14 last year.

That's why we left. Jasper, VL, and Mt Carmel were the best teams in the big 8 just about every year. Every now and than Boonville and Mt. Vernon will be competitive but not very often. I would say the majority of the PAC teams won't have trouble with these Big 8 teams coming over. So, since teams that are put in classes, it won't affect anything.