Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Website NOT secure?

When a site has https:// for the domain they have added a security certificate to the site. I'm guessing either this site doesn't have one or the one they had has expired. It doesn't mean that suddenly anyone can get access to your login information. But without the current certificate it could be more at risk. Think of it like leaving your car unlocked in your driveway in the country. Yes, someone could break into it easily if they knew it was there, but it's also not likely. Someone with a lot more IT security knowledge can explain it better than me.

There is no risk...

In the mean time ignore the warning and enjoy as usual.

The security certificate expired on 9/2/2020. I renewed it over 2 months ago. I have to figure out what Godaddy has done to screw this up, but it's only on the surface. As I already stated there is NOT any risk involved while you visit right now.

DK

• Like 4

On 9/2/2020 at 11:29 AM, DK_Barons said:

There is no risk...

The security certificate expired on 9/2/2020. I renewed it over 2 months ago. I have to figure out what Godaddy has done to screw this up, but it's only on the surface. As I already stated there is NOT any risk involved while you visit right now.

DK

Thanks for verifying. It was strange to see and unfortunately I can’t get to the site currently while I am on my work computer (shhhhh don’t tell my boss) but glad to know it’s something that can be fixed in the future. Will just have to use my phone for now 

7 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Thanks for verifying. It was strange to see and unfortunately I can’t get to the site currently while I am on my work computer (shhhhh don’t tell my boss) but glad to know it’s something that can be fixed in the future. Will just have to use my phone for now 

Try a different browser if that's an option and double check there's not an Advanced Settings text link below that chunk of warning text.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:29 AM, DK_Barons said:

There is no risk...

DK

I couldn't disagree more.   When I received the "Not secure" warning I immediately shut down the GID and have not been on for 4 days.  

14 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

I don’t mind the look but it’s difficult to find the settings etc.

This is typical of every time we upgrade the forum software. The community adjusts. I have to use Facebook at work and am not a fan of the new design... lots of things are hidden which used to be easily accessible. 

To the people doubting the security: DK and 77Jimmie each have 25+ years in the tech industry (hardware and software). I know times the forum has been under DoS attacks (no threat to the user, just makes loading the site impossible) and spam bots registering accounts from third-world countries. This isn't their first rodeo.

TGD, thanks to a lot of people but most of all the late Coach Tim Adams, has survived because of the community. Did the updates thread get shorter? Yes, but we have the largest IN HS football Twitter account to make up for it. Whenever the server goes down we have Facebook to let users know when the forum will be back. Just like a good football program, you adapt with the times -- even if that means Bill Belichik explaining much of the "new" offenses in the NFL are just variations of the Wing-T series. So after 22 years, TGD remains and will endure and adapt.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

...but you were wrong.  

Doesnt matter.  Its not worth the risk.

What was the issue?  Did you not reinstate your security certificate or was it something else?

The default font with this new version of the forum software has a lot to be desired.  At least with how it renders on Firefox.

6 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

To the people doubting the security: DK and 77Jimmie each have 25+ years in the tech industry (hardware and software). I know times the forum has been under DoS attacks (no threat to the user, just makes loading the site impossible) and spam bots registering accounts from third-world countries. This isn't their first rodeo.

So it's OK for GID user passwords to possibly be sent over the network unencrypted as may be the case when you have SSL certificate issues?

On 9/2/2020 at 7:45 AM, JustRules said:

When a site has https:// for the domain they have added a security certificate to the site. I'm guessing either this site doesn't have one or the one they had has expired. It doesn't mean that suddenly anyone can get access to your login information. But without the current certificate it could be more at risk. Think of it like leaving your car unlocked in your driveway in the country. Yes, someone could break into it easily if they knew it was there, but it's also not likely. Someone with a lot more IT security knowledge can explain it better than me.

You gave a fairly decent explanation sir.  Spot on!

On 9/2/2020 at 10:29 AM, DK_Barons said:

There is no risk...

DK

Just do like I did...
Move over to Network Solutions.  They're cheaper, more reliable and they practically invented the "interwebs". 🙂

On 9/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, DT said:

Doesnt matter.  Its not worth the risk.

What was the issue?  Did you not reinstate your security certificate or was it something else?

Apache wasn't loading the new certificate due to a couple SELinux permission/configuration issue.  It took me a couple days to make time to take a good look at it.

9 hours ago, snrmike said:

Just do like I did...
Move over to Network Solutions.  They're cheaper, more reliable and they practically invented the "interwebs". 🙂

It wasn't the certificate in this case...

It was me not setting up the permissions correctly. The user running Apache didn't not have read access to the new certs. A couple command line entries to tell SELinux it was alright for Apache to read those and we were rolling again.

• Haha 1