Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral @ Penn

The first battle of these two great Indiana programs. It will be Cathedral’s 161st new opponent. 

Can emerging Mr. Football candidate Nathan McCahill match the touted Ron Powlus, Jr. In a QB shootout? Are there any other Penn defensive standouts that match up with any of the Irish skill players or O-line? 

Excited to travel to Mishawaka! Irish Express will be there most likely in the student lot. Look for the Cathedral flag. With our storied rasslin’ heritage, I’ll expect Henry Wilk and Coach Harper to swing by for a Chick-Fil-A and a beverage pre-game. Go Irish! 

Who has played the most unique opponents? My bet is whatever SB school is oldest, Evansville Central, Reitz, Cathedral or Linton (despite its relatively "closed" current conference schedule. Vincennes Lincoln also could be in the running assuming they didn't absorb any schools during consolidation. 

On 9/3/2020 at 5:31 PM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

The first battle of these two great Indiana programs. It will be Cathedral’s 161st new opponent. 

Can emerging Mr. Football candidate Nathan McCahill match the touted Ron Powlus, Jr. In a QB shootout? Are there any other Penn defensive standouts that match up with any of the Irish skill players or O-line? 

Excited to travel to Mishawaka! Irish Express will be there most likely in the student lot. Look for the Cathedral flag. With our storied rasslin’ heritage, I’ll expect Henry Wilk and Coach Harper to swing by for a Chick-Fil-A and a beverage pre-game. Go Irish! 

Well, I would have been there if I was able to receive the code.  I guess suddenly I'm on the outside looking in.  I'm hoping someone will be able to help myself and my buddy before long.  This is the first time I've missed two games in a row, or two games in a season, since undergoing colon cancer surgery in 2007.  I understand the circumstances but I just hope there's a couple of seats for us before long.  It's tough not being there.

I did watch the game on the net and it was another outstanding effort!  Both sides of the ball played with Irish passion!  Nate McCahill must be a leading candidate for Mr. Football now.  Barring injury, to Nate or any other of his teammates, he should have a big time season.  He's the real deal, as are other highly skilled offensive weapons.

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/football/top-ranked-indianapolis-cathedral-too-much-for-penn/article_7b1dbdae-ee57-11ea-8f13-83a12f1c6c1e.html

Irish roll on. Chatard Week. Get ready, Trojans. Your 14 game win streak is at stake and your mom is ugly. 

AMEN!

I am all but certain both teams will be undefeated by the Oct 16 showdown.

My wish is covid19 will be in a much better place where more fans will be allowed to attend, especially in CG's huge stadium.  However Oct 16 is a LONG way away.  As said before, I am week-to-week anymore.

5 hours ago, Dave007 said:

I am all but certain both teams will be undefeated by the Oct 16 showdown.

My wish is covid19 will be in a much better place where more fans will be allowed to attend, especially in CG's huge stadium.  However Oct 16 is a LONG way away.  As said before, I am week-to-week anymore.

Granted they don’t travel to Ohio this season, but 3 consecutive games against Cincinnati powers will be daunting to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

Granted they don’t travel to Ohio this season, but 3 consecutive games against Cincinnati powers will be daunting to say the least.

Yeah, three games against the GCL is never easy.  Those are some very large all male schools. Well, I'm not sure about LaSalle, but I know Elder and St. X are all male.

On 9/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, PHJIrish said:

Well, I would have been there if I was able to receive the code.  I guess suddenly I'm on the outside looking in.  I'm hoping someone will be able to help myself and my buddy before long.  This is the first time I've missed two games in a row, or two games in a season, since undergoing colon cancer surgery in 2007.  I understand the circumstances but I just hope there's a couple of seats for us before long.  It's tough not being there.

I did watch the game on the net and it was another outstanding effort!  Both sides of the ball played with Irish passion!  Nate McCahill must be a leading candidate for Mr. Football now.  Barring injury, to Nate or any other of his teammates, he should have a big time season.  He's the real deal, as are other highly skilled offensive weapons.

AMEN!

Did the Cathedral motorcade visit the ND Campus and pay homage to their patron saints?  Would seem odd for the team to travel all that way and not visit the campus.

Agree will be daunting to say the least - given Laselle is ranked #2 and St. Xavier #4 in Ohio this week.  In fact St. X beat Laselle dropping them from number one spot.  But since they are all home games I just like our chances.  We need to worry about Chatard first thou.

20 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

5A No. 1 Cathedral vs. 3A No. 1 Bishop Chatard....

.......does Chatard have a 50-50 chance Friday

Closer to 0.50 - 99.50. Cathedral has too many weapons this year for Chatard to defend for 4 quarters, and their offense definitely can't go toe to toe in a shootout. Hope the rivalry aspect keeps this one close, but I fear another mercy rule for the Cathedral juggernaut. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DT said:

Did the Cathedral motorcade visit the ND Campus and pay homage to their patron saints?  Would seem odd for the team to travel all that way and not visit the campus.

I was not in the South Bend/Mishawaka area Friday.  I'm not on the Cathedral privileged list.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:16 PM, Staxawax said:

Congrats to Cathedral on the lopsided win , they have quite the team this year . Penn had no answer . I think Cathedral has the talent to beat all 3 Ohio teams . 

4 hours ago, TheDoctor22 said:

Closer to 0.50 - 99.50. Cathedral has too many weapons this year for Chatard to defend for 4 quarters, and their offense definitely can't go toe to toe in a shootout. Hope the rivalry aspect keeps this one close, but I fear another mercy rule for the Cathedral juggernaut. 

image.gif

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Grover said:

It will be a good game but it will be meaningless.  I doubt either team will go all out to win especially with the playoffs next on the schedule.

I absolutely agree with you the game has no meaning when it comes to the tournament and no conference implications. I have thought over the last 3-4 years that they wouldn't go all out. However both teams have surprised me and did go all out. Been some great battles between the 2 teams. Perhaps it will depend on both teams health when they get to that point. 

On 9/6/2020 at 6:09 PM, PHJIrish said:

Yeah, three games against the GCL is never easy.  Those are some very large all male schools. Well, I'm not sure about LaSalle, but I know Elder and St. X are all male.

LaSalle is all-male, as is Moeller.  Another all-male school in the Cincinnati area is Covington Catholic, just across the river.  

8 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Thanks for that info!

Yes in the GCL (Greater Catholic League) there are 4 all male schools (Elder, LaSalle, Moeller, and St. X) that make the GCL South. There are 5 all female schools in the GCL South (Mercy McAuley, Mount Notre Dame, Seton, St. Ursula, and Ursuline Academy). All 9 of them are in Cincinnati. They also have the GCL Co-Ed which has 8 schools.