Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

(0-3) North Vermillion @ (2-1) Linton

Hard to believe it's week 4 already.   It seems these 2 teams are going in opposite directions.  The Miners have a 2 game winning streak and North Vermillion is on a 3 game losing streak.   After 2 weeks of great defensive play, the Miners were mostly all offense last week as the defense game up 36 points.   I believe the offense had over 400 yards total offense and 2 rushers had 100+ yards rushing against Monrovia.   Harrell has predicted this game a 42 - 14 win for the Miners.  Hard to believe that North Vermillion is winless so far this season.  I guess it must be a rebuilding year and/or the virus has done some damage to the team.  It is STILL North Vermillion but I expect a win by the Miners.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Man I miss the "old days".  A Linton game thread would generate pages of discussion.  These days you are lucky to get one.  Is it posters have left this website or people just don't care now?

Probably a bit of both and the fact that NV doesn't appear ready to make much of a challenge this week.  Got word that no fans, except for player's family, allowed at the game this week also discourages me.  I try to make sense of this color coded nonsense that makes that determination.  Something about number of cases per 100K population in the county.  Greene county is a large county with relatively few people.  If some person gets the virus 30 miles away in eastern Greene county then we're screwed.  Maybe there's more to it than that but it's too complicated for me.  Anyway, as of today they at least get to play so I guess that's a plus. 😞

10 minutes ago, kingtut said:

Probably a bit of both and the fact that NV doesn't appear ready to make much of a challenge this week.  Got word that no fans, except for player's family, allowed at the game this week also discourages me.  I try to make sense of this color coded nonsense that makes that determination.  Something about number of cases per 100K population in the county.  Greene county is a large county with relatively few people.  If some person gets the virus 30 miles away in eastern Greene county then we're screwed.  Maybe there's more to it than that but it's too complicated for me.  Anyway, as of today they at least get to play so I guess that's a plus. 😞

I resigned myself at the beginning of the season to listening to games on the radio or live steam this year.   I can't take a chance on catching the virus since I am in a high risk category.  It stinks, but it is what it is.  At least they are playing the games.  I miss the discussions and even some of the smack talk we used to have on here.  Miss seeing the fans at the games too.  I watched the games either in the South or sometimes the North endzone.  When the track was open, I used to walk up and down the track following the Line of Scrimmage.  The North endzone wasn't as crowded as the South was.  I've seen that South endzone be 10 people deep.  And it was loud and boisterous.  LOL  Just crazy.  Of course in the North Endzone you had about 50 kids playng "football".  Every once in a while you had to watch that you didn't get run over.  It was still fun.  I know some of the Miners players over the years started out in that North Endzone.  

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I resigned myself at the beginning of the season to listening to games on the radio or live steam this year.   I can't take a chance on catching the virus since I am in a high risk category.  It stinks, but it is what it is.  At least they are playing the games.  I miss the discussions and even some of the smack talk we used to have on here.  Miss seeing the fans at the games too.  I watched the games either in the South or sometimes the North endzone.  When the track was open, I used to walk up and down the track following the Line of Scrimmage.  The North endzone wasn't as crowded as the South was.  I've seen that South endzone be 10 people deep.  And it was loud and boisterous.  LOL  Just crazy.  Of course in the North Endzone you had about 50 kids playng "football".  Every once in a while you had to watch that you didn't get run over.  It was still fun.  I know some of the Miners players over the years started out in that North Endzone.  

Maybe someday things will get back to normal but that may be too late for me, although I may have another season or two left in me.  One year at a time.  I'll soon be 89. (hey, that rhymes).  I really do hope they get this mess cleared up so I can watch our girls basketball team go for two in a row this year.  The boys team will be pretty good too. Two Div I commits on the starting five.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, kingtut said:

Maybe someday things will get back to normal but that may be too late for me, although I may have another season or two left in me.  One year at a time.  I'll soon be 89. (hey, that rhymes).  I really do hope they get this mess cleared up so I can watch our girls basketball team go for two in a row this year.  The boys team will be pretty good too. Two Div I commits on the starting five.

Hopefully things get back to "normal".  I think both the boys and girls basketball teams have a good shot to win state this year (if they get to play).  I know the girls will probably be #1 preseason in the polls since they had no seniors on the team and won state.  It's too bad the boys didn't get a chance last year, too.  As far as football goes, I know you always liked your spot up in in the bleachers.  Maybe next season.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:14 AM, itiswhatitis said:

Man I miss the "old days".  A Linton game thread would generate pages of discussion.  These days you are lucky to get one.  Is it posters have left this website or people just don't care now?

I miss the “old days” too.
It’s not that I don’t care, I’m just having a hard time getting interested. It doesn’t help that I’m not covering the Miners anymore.

Team seems to be coming along pretty well though.

11 hours ago, ts32 said:

I miss the “old days” too.
It’s not that I don’t care, I’m just having a hard time getting interested. It doesn’t help that I’m not covering the Miners anymore.

Team seems to be coming along pretty well though.

Terry!  Good to see you on here, man!  I've wondered if you would pop on here occasionally.

Linton got over the hump, that's what killed off a lot of the chatter on here. And since then they are 3-3 in the tournament with all 3 of those losses being by 19+ points. The "old days" were mainly filled with arguments trying to defend the program and show that it could compete (and win) with anyone in 1A, as they proved that they could. The "rivals" have changed, it's no longer about beating Ritter, Scecina, LCC it's about beating Southridge and Mater Dei; and then eventually more potentially bigger and better teams. So far they haven't shown the ability to do that. I don't believe that will be the situation permanently, I think it will change soon - very soon - and then we'll start to see some new rivalries be built and more interest pick back up. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

Linton got over the hump, that's what killed off a lot of the chatter on here. And since then they are 3-3 in the tournament with all 3 of those losses being by 19+ points. The "old days" were mainly filled with arguments trying to defend the program and show that it could compete (and win) with anyone in 1A, as they proved that they could. The "rivals" have changed, it's no longer about beating Ritter, Scecina, LCC it's about beating Southridge and Mater Dei; and then eventually more potentially bigger and better teams. So far they haven't shown the ability to do that. I don't believe that will be the situation permanently, I think it will change soon - very soon - and then we'll start to see some new rivalries be built and more interest pick back up. 

What you say about getting over the hump is probably true.  It took a few years to figure out how to consistently win the sectional and then the rest followed.  Back then it was Perry Central they had to beat.   These days it's Mater Dei, but they are a much bigger and stronger program.  Maybe the Miners will never make much noise in 2A, but I have a feeling this coaching staff won't let that happen.  No matter what, I'll always support the Miners.  Arguments or not, there was still a lot of good discussion in "the old days".   And there have been several teams move up by the success factor and not do that well in the next higher class.   The jury is still out on the Miners.  I don't see where it would do them that much good to drop back into 1A.  That is, if their enrollment dropped.  I know they have a 2A enrollment now and it's not success factor.

20 hours ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

The interest has dropped off a bit since the move to 2A.  In the past there was excitement about how far the Miners would go in the playoffs.  And for several years we made a good run.  Now there's no serious talk of even winning the sectional.  Another factor to consider,  there is much excitement about the basketball team success with eight straight 20+ win seasons and two state final appearances.  Up until nine or ten years ago basketball was an afterthought.  

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

What you say about getting over the hump is probably true.  It took a few years to figure out how to consistently win the sectional and then the rest followed.  Back then it was Perry Central they had to beat.   These days it's Mater Dei, but they are a much bigger and stronger program.  Maybe the Miners will never make much noise in 2A, but I have a feeling this coaching staff won't let that happen.  No matter what, I'll always support the Miners.  Arguments or not, there was still a lot of good discussion in "the old days".   And there have been several teams move up by the success factor and not do that well in the next higher class.   The jury is still out on the Miners.  I don't see where it would do them that much good to drop back into 1A.  That is, if their enrollment dropped.  I know they have a 2A enrollment now and it's not success factor.

The latest numbers on the IHSAA site show there are only 82 students difference between Linton and Mater Dei.

1 hour ago, sr1 said:

The latest numbers on the IHSAA site show there are only 82 students difference between Linton and Mater Dei.

I was talking about the difference between Mater Dei and Perry Central with Mater Dei being much bigger.  Back in 1A it was Perry Central in sectional 48 as the team to beat.  Now it's Mater Dei in sectional 40 in 2A.  I just looked up the enrollments for 20 - 21.  Mater Dei is listed with 497 students.  Linton has 391.  That is a difference of 108.  But since I was comparing Perry Central to Mater Dei, I was only saying Mater Dei is much bigger than Perry Central and wasn't talking about Linton.

28 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I was talking about the difference between Mater Dei and Perry Central with Mater Dei being much bigger.  Back in 1A it was Perry Central in sectional 48 as the team to beat.  Now it's Mater Dei in sectional 40 in 2A.  I just looked up the enrollments for 20 - 21.  Mater Dei is listed with 497 students.  Linton has 391.  That is a difference of 108.  But since I was comparing Perry Central to Mater Dei, I was only saying Mater Dei is much bigger than Perry Central and wasn't talking about Linton.

Those enrollment numbers are for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 classification period. They are from 2018-2019. The lasted numbers listed on the IHSAA school directory is Linton 424, Mater Dei 506. Or as I said 82 students difference.

16 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Those enrollment numbers are for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 classification period. They are from 2018-2019. The lasted numbers listed on the IHSAA school directory is Linton 424, Mater Dei 506. Or as I said 82 students difference.

The list I looked at said 2020 - 2021.  But whatever.  You just won't give it up will you?  I've explained it to you twice.  The comparison was between Perry Central and Mater Dei with Mater Dei being much bigger.  If you are going to troll someone at least keep up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

The list I looked at said 2020 - 2021.  But whatever.  You just won't give it up will you?  I've explained it to you twice.  The comparison was between Perry Central and Mater Dei with Mater Dei being much bigger.  If you are going to troll someone at least keep up.

Yea, I got it the first time. As I explained to you, you are going off of numbers that were counted in 2018 to get the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 classifications. The most recent numbers are the ones I listed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sr1 said:

Yea, I got it the first time. As I explained to you, you are going off of numbers that were counted in 2018 to get the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 classifications. The most recent numbers are the ones I listed.

I don't give a witches teeth where the numbers come from.  If you got it the first time, why were you comparing the wrong 2 teams?  My statement was that Mater Dei is much bigger than Perry Central.  Why compare MD and Linton?   Had nothing to do with what I said.  

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I don't give a witches teeth where the numbers come from.  If you got it the first time, why were you comparing the wrong 2 teams?  My statement was that Mater Dei is much bigger than Perry Central.  Why compare MD and Linton?   Had nothing to do with what I said.  

I got it the first time you explained it. If you would have just said "I was talking about the difference between Mater Dei and Perry Central with Mater Dei being much bigger.  Back in 1A it was Perry Central in sectional 48 as the team to beat.  Now it's Mater Dei in sectional 40 in 2A." I would not have had anything else to say. Instead you added "I just looked up the enrollments for 20 - 21.  Mater Dei is listed with 497 students.  Linton has 391.  That is a difference of 108." 

• Like 1

Week 4 is upon us, and it brings the North Vermillion Falcons to Roy Williams Field, in what has been a genuine friendly rivalry over the years.  These teams met many years back on a yearly basis, but most recently back on the schedule since 2015.  The Falcons have had great success under Head Coach Brian Crabtree, himself a North Daviess product,  with 88 wins against only 18 defeats in this his 9th year at ND.  He is very familiar with Linton, as he was previously at North Central in the same capacity.  In his first year at NV in 2012 he lead the Falcons to a sectional trophy, and in 2014 they won the 1A state title.  They were back again in 2018 losing to a very powerful Pioneer squad.  2020 hasn’t been what the folks in Cayuga are used to with an 0-3 start.  You have to go back to 2002 to find the last NV start at 0-3.  However, Crabtree has not had the full compliment of players as of yet with the quarantine issue as well as injury.  Add to that the loss of a stellar class of kids to graduation and, much like the Miners,  have a lot of players seeing first time varsity action.  Offensively the Falcons return only 2 starters from last year’s meeting losing most notably QB/S Bennan Ellis, RB/LB Wyatt Reynolds, and four starting linemen.  Defensively they return just three.  Linton found themselves in the same boat coming into 2020 with only 3 returning on offense, and just 1 on defense as it turned out.  Depending on the status of Gabe Eslinger, it could be 0 starters returning! 

Coming into week 4 Linton has won 2 in a row, including last week’s offensive shootout with Monrovia 42-36.  For the 1st time this season, it felt like the Miner Offense was clicking pretty well with over 400 yards of offense, 342 of that on the ground.  The shift of Trey Goodman to WB,  Hunter Gennnicks to QB, along with the return of Kaulin Padgett to the backfield for the 1st time seemed to bolster the attack.  Drew Smith and Gennicks rushed over 100 yards last week, and Padgett would have certainly joined that group had not tow long runs been called back.   Add to the mix Eslinger and Hunter Johns, and there is getting to be a solid group of skill players answering the call to the graduated Luke Lannan, Lance Dyer and Cash Howard trifecta of the last couple years.  Replacing Ellis and Reynolds seems to be a harder task for the Falcons.  Last week NV had a freshman at QB, Cody Tryon (#10) 5’8 150, and a junior Carter Edney (#44 5’11 210) at RB.  Edney has experience, but it was at Tight End last year.  It is a very young team at NV with just 2 seniors starting- TE Klayton Bailey (#23 5’10 165) and at Center with Matthew Jackson (#78 6’5 260).  I have no statistical info on NV, but can see by videos they are certainly a condensed power running attack.  Other names in that mix are Harrison Holtkamp (Soph #89 6’2 185) and Braydon Schrader (Jr #38 5’8 180), with Owen Burns (Soph #80 6’0 160) at Split End. 

There is good size on the Oline, with Weston Rowe (Jr 6’3 210) Seth Girton (Jr 5’10 250) Atticu Blak (Soph 6’3 250) and Eli Apple (Jr 6’1 220) along with Jackson at 6’5 260.  Four of these Five play on the Dline as well.  One area the Miners are slowly improving on is the passing game.  With Goodman showing good hands since moving to WB, and SE Eli Poe showing promise as well I would expect to see more work on that aspect.  Genncks in his 2 starts is 11 of 23 for 106 yards, 2 TDs and 0 interceptions.  Lest we forget that Goodman is also a solid veteran QB himself, in fact he was 12-17 for 209 yards and 2 TD connections in this game last year.  Poe has caught 5 for 54 and a score, with Goodman 4 for 48 in the last 2 games.  Linton has 3 players within 2 carries of each other… Gennicks 32 for 176, Smith 30 for 161 and Goodman 31 for 103.  Eslinger would be right there with 27 for 38, but missed last week with a knee injury.  Should he back this week might be pushing it, but if so, it would not surprise me to see him strictly on defense. 

As for the Defensively side of things the Miners found themselves in a battle last week giving up 204 rushing yards at 5.8 yards per carry.  Probably not what Coach Oliver wants to see.  There were also numerous big plays for the Bulldogs, most notably through the air.  Monrovia only completed 5 passes, but 2 were TD’s of 24 and 69, and another to the 1.   Still the Miners made the defensive stands when they needed them the most.  Led by Drew Smith at MLB with a total 40 tackles on the season, Linton has been in a 5 man front most of the time.  With NV’s tendency to run the ball, it will likely be the case tonight.  Last week saw Dalton Carpenter at NT, with Donovan DeBruhl and Jackson Fields at DT in most plays.  Damien Giles and Levi Grounds were the main Defensive ends, but Landon Giles was in the mix as well as Jackson Lynn.  With Eslinger out, and a key element in Linton’s defense, Bracey Brenneman stepped up at LB with Smith, and Hunter Johns & Braymon Lannan as well at OLB.  Goodman and Poe, as well as Padgett were at corners, while Jaydan Miller made big plays at Free Safety. Miller is end in tackles with 22.  The Falcons had 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores start on Defense last week.  Most of the names mentioned on offense also play on the defensive side of things.  Those three frosh starters are all in the defensive backfield, which leads me to think we may see the Miners work on the passing game tonight.   I would imagine #44 Edney has been their main tackler at ILB.

A weapon this year has been Miller punting the ball.  Linton never wants to punt, but when so Miller has done great with a 35.7 average. Several punts have put the opponent inside the 20, and a couple inside the 5.  It is obvious that the Miners are not confident in place kicking at this point.  We’ve yet to see an extra point kick attempted.  The good news is that Linton was 5 for their first 5 two-point conversions, but failed on their last three to close out the game.  Kickoffs have been handled by Drew Smith but they tend to be squibs to the middle of the field which has led to decent starting positions for our opponent.  Another strong point has been the finish of drives.  We came close to having the big play with Padgett’s burst of speed, but all 8 Miner TD’s this year have come inside the  red zone.  For the year 8 of 9 in the Red Zone, and that one non-score was taking a knee at the end of the game last week.

Again we saw the improvement in the Miners last week, and again it was the addition of a couple names to the mix.  Padgett at WB/RB and Soph Wrigley Franklin starting on the offensive line.  The coaching staff looking for ways to increase depth and get more one way players.  Lynn at TE, Grounds at DE, Carpenter at NT, are just examples. 

Linton won last year in Cayuga 38-20, and won at the Roy in 2018 34-7.  Linton has won the last meetings none bigger than a 56-27 win that put Linton in the state finals in 2015 for the first time ever. 

This game was 19 - 0 at halftime.  The Miner defense made stops in the red zone, twice.  North Vermillion started turning over the ball in the second half giving the Miners short fields which they took advantage of.  The Miners had 430+ yards of total offense.  Edney is a good running back for the Falcons.  He had some nice runs.  The Falcons scored towards the end of the game against the JV.   On to Boonville.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

This game was 19 - 0 at halftime.  The Miner defense made stops in the red zone, twice.  North Vermillion started turning over the ball in the second half giving the Miners short fields which they took advantage of.  The Miners had 430+ yards of total offense.  Edney is a good running back for the Falcons.  He had some nice runs.  The Falcons scored towards the end of the game against the JV.   On to Boonville.

Open up the next weeks! It could be a doozey!

Edited by globemstr3