Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GreenKnight

2014 1A Outlook

Sounds like, in the North, the teams to watch are the usual suspects.  Tri-Central, Winamac, Sheridan, and Pioneer?

How about the South?  Linton?  South Putnam? Eastern Hancock?

I know that Northeastern only lost 4 seniors and returns most of an offense that rushed for nearly 5,000 yards, including an All-State QB/FS (Joey Claypoole) and FB/LB (Kelsy Kirkland).  They went 9-3 this past season and could make some noise in Sectional 45 and beyond. 

Interested in other opinions.

Edited by GreenKnight

Linton will return two of the best lineman in 1A or 2A in Zach Johnson and Dylan Morris.  Both boys have the size and ability to play on Saturdays in a year or two.  DMo could even be a kid who gets his college paid for.  He is 6'2 and roughly 240.  He has a great 10 yard burst.. his 40 was respectable, but he will need to improve it... he is currently a sophomore.  Zach came on really strong toward the end of the season... he suddenly realized he could be dominant... and he went out and turned heads.  Mitch Eberhardt and Austin Hale return from a very productive backfield.  Austin may have had around 1,000 yards as a junior.  Mitch is only a sophomore and had some big games.  I'm sure I'm missing a lot of guys, but there is a lot of potential coming through the ranks.  We are in a similar spot as last year.  If the boys put in a good offseason in the weightroom... Linton could be right back in the thick of things.  The backfield might be a little green since many of the potential starters are freshman and sophomores.  There is even a couple intriguing prospects from the 8th grade.  I could see a few of them contributing like Eberhardt did two years ago.  I think most people will count on Linton to be down, but I could see next years team being very strong... the offseason will decide if some of these guys start living up to their ability.

Indianapolis Howe and Indianapolis Lutheran will be the top 1A teams in Indy. It's unfortunate that a potential sectional 46 meeting between these two teams cannot be played outside of Marion county.

Indianapolis Howe and Indianapolis Lutheran will be the top 1A teams in Indy. It's unfortunate that a potential sectional 46 meeting between these two teams cannot be played outside of Marion county.

Agreed.

While it might not be LCC/Pioneer from a few years ago, it would still be a shame to see them play each other in the first round again.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.

While it might not be LCC/Pioneer from a few years ago, it would still be a shame to see them play each other in the first round again.

Agreed. Seed the sectional teams.....at least the top 2.

• Upvote 3

How many of those 4 were O-line though?  I came down to watch the game with Eastern Han. and remember thinking the sideline was pretty thin for Northeastern and taking the seasons off the roster didn't leave many big guys at all.  That said, those 2 skilled players you mentioned are going to be game changers no matter who is blocking for them because they both showed such great feel for the game.  Anyways, I just remember somebody like #51 playing varsity corner and was thinking, "Oh man - is that kids going to be a lineman next year?"

Sounds like, in the North, the teams to watch are the usual suspects.  Tri-Central, Winamac, Sheridan, and Pioneer?

How about the South?  Linton?  South Putnam? Eastern Hancock?

I know that Northeastern only lost 4 seniors and returns most of an offense that rushed for nearly 5,000 yards, including an All-State QB/FS (Joey Claypoole) and FB/LB (Kelsy Kirkland).  They went 9-3 this past season and could make some noise in Sectional 45 and beyond. 

Interested in other opinions

Unofficially North Knox will play Sheridan week 6...

Is that the replacement for the game that Sheridan used to have with Heights or is this a different arrangement ... i.e., Sheridan will end up with someone else replacing that Heights slot plus also adding NK?

yes...and it is North Knox's big upgrade from Dugger closing its school!  Not sure on details...looks like it may be a Saturday game!

Edited by NorthKnox94

Southwood returns a very powerful offense including both a quarterback and running back that went over 2,000 yards.  

• Upvote 1

Is that the replacement for the game that Sheridan used to have with Heights or is this a different arrangement ... i.e., Sheridan will end up with someone else replacing that Heights slot plus also adding NK?

Monrovia was on Sheridan's Week 6 last year---and they are going to the Indiana Crossroads Conference from the West Central Conference.

Unofficially North Knox will play Sheridan week 6...

Uh...your, welcome for that tip on open date thread!!

lol...well, thanks...i talked to Coach Wright at the state finals...and he asked if North Knox would want to travel to Sheridan...so, i told Coach McDowell and I think they got the ball rolling from there!

Edited by NorthKnox94

Any news on Linton playing for the conference title?  They have everybody on the schedule already.

How many of those 4 were O-line though?  I came down to watch the game with Eastern Han. and remember thinking the sideline was pretty thin for Northeastern and taking the seasons off the roster didn't leave many big guys at all.  That said, those 2 skilled players you mentioned are going to be game changers no matter who is blocking for them because they both showed such great feel for the game.  Anyways, I just remember somebody like #51 playing varsity corner and was thinking, "Oh man - is that kids going to be a lineman next year?"

One OLineman graduated.  They also lost a DT, DE and OLB .  Everyone else is back.  BTW  #51 was forced to play corner due to injury.  (and he did an admirable job!)

Totally off subject but either the title of this page has an error or you guys are placing some wagers now that will hopefully pay off in about a hundred years lol

Pertaining to this subject, I think Linton will finally win it all next year.....if they can get past their semi-state curse

Linton will return two of the best lineman in 1A or 2A in Zach Johnson and Dylan Morris.  Both boys have the size and ability to play on Saturdays in a year or two.  DMo could even be a kid who gets his college paid for.  He is 6'2 and roughly 240.  He has a great 10 yard burst.. his 40 was respectable, but he will need to improve it... he is currently a sophomore.  Zach came on really strong toward the end of the season... he suddenly realized he could be dominant... and he went out and turned heads.  Mitch Eberhardt and Austin Hale return from a very productive backfield.  Austin may have had around 1,000 yards as a junior.  Mitch is only a sophomore and had some big games.  I'm sure I'm missing a lot of guys, but there is a lot of potential coming through the ranks.  We are in a similar spot as last year.  If the boys put in a good offseason in the weightroom... Linton could be right back in the thick of things.  The backfield might be a little green since many of the potential starters are freshman and sophomores.  There is even a couple intriguing prospects from the 8th grade.  I could see a few of them contributing like Eberhardt did two years ago.  I think most people will count on Linton to be down, but I could see next years team being very strong... the offseason will decide if some of these guys start living up to their ability.

just to add my post from another thread to this thread..which is looking at 2014... prolly the better place for it:

Hale & Eberhardt back... Morris 6'3 230 and Johnson 6'5 240 back in OL and at DL but that's it in terms of major players.  With all the injuries at the end of the season....we did have some guys get a lot of varsity time in big games... and that will help going into 2014...  Lannan at OL/DL 6'0 250 . Waggoner at OL 5'10 180.  Clothier (5'11 140) certainly got a lot of experience at SE when Stamm went out...so that's a positive..just needs to get stronger.  Braxton Cox 5'11 160 also.  It will be interesting... only had 5 juniors on the roster..and one of those (Jace Brewer 6'0 300) was lost mid season to a knee... which by the way... he had surgery...and all looks good for him.  There was more damage than initially thought... but it was a successful operation.  I have no idea if he actually will play next year though.. he was our starting DT until he was injured.  The other juniors include Johnson, Hale and Cox as well as Dalton Lewis.  This year sophomore class (14) will be key as juniors next year..with the QB likely Chad Trent (6'1 175), Eberhardt, Morris, Lannan & Waggoner.   There is some size on the roster...Pigg at 5'8 200, and Phipps at 5;9 205 were sophs, while Pope 6'0 255, Walker 5'10 180, Sparks 5'9 205 were freshmen.  All depends on how much they put into it.  Seems to me a lot of skill players coming up the ranks...and probably see a lot of them next year.  Pierce Jackson (6'0 165) certainly is a player..and we'd of prolly seen more of him this year as a soph had the not broken the collarbone the week before the season... but he's tough kid. I also think Avery Gentry (6'0 170) as a freshman showed promise...he played ILB and FB JV wise and got in a few varsity snaps.  He looks to be the next in a long line of excellent ILB's at Linton.  Another positive is that Michael Thompson stepped up late in year and was pretty solid kicking PAT's and short field goals...he was just a freshman.  Another name is Garyck Russell who is a soph (6'1 175)...who stepped in as long snapper when Stamm was hurt (as a sidenote: that's why Stamm was on punt team when he was injured---many asked why he was on the field at all on punt formation) 

I think the hardest area hit will be at linebacker.  Rupska and Van Winkle were pretty solid at ILB...and Vowell and Goodman even more so at OLB.  Herndon played a ton at ILB as well... and all of the guys are graduating.  Hale plays OLB and had to play the whole game with Fountain Central when Vowell went down in the first 3-4 plays of defense.  Trent looked to be the first one in a OLB when needed...but as QB....will he see a lot of defensive time.  This is why I think we'll see Gentry in there as a soph... and Eberhardt was listed at OLB on the roster... but played CB all year.  Perhaps he may move back.  Jackson listed at LB..prolly OLB.  Maybe Hale has to move inside?  We gotta have strong physical presence at ILB.

Obviously... you lose 16-17 seniors...  of 13 were key plays on both sides of the ball... it's gonna be some learning curve.  JV was very successful again...  so gotta expect some of these guys will step up.  They just gotta be willing to work and get strong...   Our DB corp will be decimated by graduation as well--- Hayden, Stamm, Eaton, Cox...  Eberhardt the only returning experience.  alot of youngsters will get a look!

Hale will be a plus... 884 yards on just 111 carries... missed 3 games total.  Eberhardt with 784 on 94 touches...both with high ypc 7.4 and 8.3. 

Eastern Hancock will be good again (undefeated no) Most of the offense is back -gilbert which is obviously a huge loss. EH along with Northeastern should be the favorites to win sect 45 in 2014

lol...well, thanks...i talked to Coach Wright at the state finals...and he asked if North Knox would want to travel to Sheridan...so, i told Coach McDowell and I think they got the ball rolling from there!

and lemme tell ya... it's a trip....

SP has some big shoes to fill on the O and D line.  JV had a good year so hope those guys start working hard now.  SP will have a new Coach next season as well.

Any news on Linton playing for the conference title?  They have everybody on the schedule already.

Highly doubtful, I would say that in the next few years, Linton's schedule will have some drastic changes made.

• Upvote 1

Riverton Parke has a good shot at a state title in '14.

Not sure why "cheap shots" at a school are being taken here.  Some small schools have kids that work very hard and there isn't any reason to knock those kids.  I am not sure if this was made to be funny, but I don't think its necessary!

• Upvote 1

Not sure why "cheap shots" at a school are being taken here.  Some small schools have kids that work very hard and there isn't any reason to knock those kids.  I am not sure if this was made to be funny, but I don't think its necessary!

Agreed, no need for that stuff...

Why is SP looking for a new coach? Obviously, last year was a great season for them and with Lorean returning potential for another.

Indianapolis Howe and Indianapolis Lutheran will be the top 1A teams in Indy. It's unfortunate that a potential sectional 46 meeting between these two teams cannot be played outside of Marion county.

I don't disagree about seeding. However, I think the two best teams in our sectional played for the title, and ultimately that is what you want. There are other sectionals that have an even better argument for sectional seeding last year. 

The only way our draw could have been better would have been if you and IL met in the second round. I believe we would have been the 4 seed with SP the 1, and our side of the bracket played out that way. I believe IL and Howe would have been the 2 and 3 seed respectively. We got pretty close to a seeded sectional considering it was a blind draw.