Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Columbus North at Merrillville

Guest DT

Are these two schools talking aboiut possibly hooking up this week?  Both appear to have Week 5 open on their schedules.  Heck of an intersectional matchup.  If either school doesnt want to travel all the way to the other, find a nuetral site , like Lafayette or Kokomo and play the game there.  Merrillville is a 6A title contender and cant afford a lost week of live game action.  

20 hours ago, DT said:

Are these two schools talking aboiut possibly hooking up this week?  Both appear to have Week 5 open on their schedules.  Heck of an intersectional matchup.  If either school doesnt want to travel all the way to the other, find a nuetral site , like Lafayette or Kokomo and play the game there.  Merrillville is a 6A title contender and cant afford a lost week of live game action.  

Just too far to go for a mid-season nonconference game, isn't it.?

A mid-season open date is probably the better option

36 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Just too far to go for a mid-season nonconference game, isn't it.?

A mid-season open date is probably the better option

I don’t get that. The only difference from a regular week is a few hours on a bus. Sort of a dress rehearsal for one of those long semistate trips. It’s not like they have to walk to Merrillville. Pretty sure they’d be up to the challenge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Elkhart played at Columbus East in week three and East is making the trip up there next year. I don’t see why Columbus North and Merrillville can’t play.

I actually like it.  Intersectional things are a good thing in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Elkhart played at Columbus East in week three and East is making the trip up there next year. I don’t see why Columbus North and Merrillville can’t play.

Because there's no reason to from Merrillville's standpoint.   Especially in the Covid era...Why ride 3 hours to risk an injury?  DAC teams play 2 non-league games and then 7 league games......Nonconference season is over.

Merrillville is looking at a long playoff run and a week 7 'Judgment Day' with 5A No. 2 Valparaiso .  They've played 4 games.......take a week off and play four more.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Because there's no reason to from Merrillville's standpoint.   Especially in the Covid era...Why ride 3 hours to risk an injury?  DAC teams play 2 non-league games and then 7 league games......Nonconference season is over.

Merrillville is looking at a long playoff run and a week 7 'Judgment Day' with 5A No. 2 Valparaiso .  They've played 4 games.......take a week off and play four more.   

Who isn’t looking at a long playoff run? The point is, if Elkhart can make the 3+ hour drive on a Friday then Merrillville can on a Saturday at the very least. Also, who’s to say Merrillville has to make the drive? Columbus North was supposed to be the road team this Friday anyway. They were still willing to play a road game last I saw.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Who isn’t looking at a long playoff run? The point is, if Elkhart can make the 3+ hour drive on a Friday then Merrillville can on a Saturday at the very least. Also, who’s to say Merrillville has to make the drive? Columbus North was supposed to be the road team this Friday anyway. They were still willing to play a road game last I saw.

Most teams are not looking at a long playoff run. Elkhart needed a game after the consolidation.  You may know better but I'd be surprised if Columbus North wants to come 3 hours to Merrillville on a Friday night. .

In a pandemic era where conference rival Michigan City just lost two games, I dont see the point for Merrillville.

Send the boys home Friday afternoon and tell 'em stay out of trouble. We'll see you Monday. 

I would doubt either side wants to play Saturday. I cant find a coach up here who likes to play on Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I actually want to see more:

Merrillville-Center Grove

Harrison-Jeffersonville

East Noble-Jasper

West Lafayette-Vincennes 

Andrean-Linton

Parke Heritage-West Washington 

I'd like to see Hanover Central play at Churubusco. 

But only because I want to see if Oscar the Turtle is really in Blue Lake.

(Its a long story) 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'd like to see Hanover Central play at Churubusco. 

But only because I want to see if Oscar the Turtle is really in Blue Lake.

(Its a long story) 

All for it, as those were just a few of my silly ideas.  Why not a rematch of the state finals a few years ago?  Lowell-East Central.  Maybe Andrean vs. Evv. Mater Dei or Penn taking on New Palestine, plenty of options.

• Like 2

I thought the obkective was to give kids the opportunity to play high school football.  Winning or preparing for a state title run are ancilary.

Merrillville lost a game on their regulkar seasona schedule, and in my view, owes it to its athletes to make an effort to replace that game.  That is the job of the AD

If neither school wants to make a 3 HR bus trip, trhen both should catch a bus on Saturday morning and drive 90 minutes to Lafayette and play at Jeffs beautiful ball park.

The kids deserve the opportunity to play.  The adults owe them their best effort in scheduling a replacement game.

9 hours ago, DT said:

I thought the obkective was to give kids the opportunity to play high school football.  Winning or preparing for a state title run are ancilary.

Which is why I would argue this could be a huge benefit for Merrillville. If I'm Seiss, I want to see all of my weaknesses before potentially playing a Hamilton County/Fort Wayne school in Semi State. Elkhart could potentially be a monster lurking in Regionals. And then Lafayette Jeff is still there in Sectionals. Columbus North can show the Pirates a lot more than at least 75% of their schedule. 

15 hours ago, DT said:

Merrillville lost a game on their regulkar seasona schedule, and in my view, owes it to its athletes to make an effort to replace that game.  That is the job of the AD

If neither school wants to make a 3 HR bus trip, trhen both should catch a bus on Saturday morning and drive 90 minutes to Lafayette and play at Jeffs beautiful ball park.

The kids deserve the opportunity to play.  The adults owe them their best effort in scheduling a replacement game.

I couldnt agree less, my man.

The school doesnt owe football players anything. Its a privilege to play for your school and your town. Its an honor.

Kids do not DESERVE the right to play sports.  Its extra curricular and its a privilege...

..and Merrillville will play plenty of games this year....at least nine...probably more..../  I think with Valparaiso (one of the state's 10 best teams in any class) coming in 2 weeks, the Pirates should just chill (that's region hipster talk) this weekend.

Winning does matter.,,and a week off is better than 'Pickin' up Strangers' (Johnny Lee - 1983)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gipper said:

All for it, as those were just a few of my silly ideas.  Why not a rematch of the state finals a few years ago?  Lowell-East Central.  Maybe Andrean vs. Evv. Mater Dei .

Its important to you to 'Wander Indiana', Gip......can we pick foes within 200 miles???

.....(Its important to me to see if that turtle in the lake...in Churubusco.  Ever been to 'Turtle Days'   They party hardy over there.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, Bobref said:

I don’t get that. The only difference from a regular week is a few hours on a bus. Sort of a dress rehearsal for one of those long semistate trips. It’s not like they have to walk to Merrillville. Pretty sure they’d be up to the challenge.

The longest potential SS trip CN would have would be the 50ish mike trip to Avon. And no before anyone thinks this is some kind of crystal ball thing, just looking at possible 6A South matchups.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, oldunclemark said:

I couldnt agree less, my man.

The school doesnt owe football players anything. Its a privilege to play for your school and your town. Its an honor.

Kids do not DESERVE the right to play sports.  Its extra curricular and its a privilege...

..and Merrillville will play plenty of games this year....at least nine...probably more..../  I think with Valparaiso (one of the state's 10 best teams in any class) coming in 2 weeks, the Pirates should just chill (that's region hipster talk) this weekend.

Winning does matter.,,and a week off is better than 'Pickin' up Strangers' (Johnny Lee - 1983)

Lowell will be chilling—got the ‘Rona...