Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 5

Evansville Central (4-0) at Evansville Reitz (2-2)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Reitz Bowl.
COACHES: Sean Coultis, 13-3 in 2nd year at Central. Cory Brunson, 2-2 in 1st year at Reitz, 36-42 in 8th year overall.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Central, 77.93, 34th overall, 7th in 4A. Reitz, 48.32, 151st overall, 38th in 4A.
LAST OUTING: Central defeated Vincennes Lincoln, 55-7. Reitz lost to Evansville North, 42-14.
VS. COMMON FOES: Central 1-0; Reitz 1-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Central 3-12. Reitz 9-7.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Reitz, 31-16
LAST MEETING: Central, 41-34, Oct. 25, 2019, sectional.
jh PREDICTION: Central, 35-21.
Evansville Mater Dei (1-3) at Jasper (4-0)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Brewer Field.
COACHES: Mike Goebel, 228-74 in 24th year at Mater Dei. Tony Lewis, 10-4 in 2nd year at Jasper, 141-70 in 19th year overall.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Jasper, 67.74, 66th overall, 13th in 4A. Mater Dei, 57.3, 116th overall, 18th in 2A.
LAST OUTING: Mater Dei lost to Evansville Memorial, 13-10. Jasper defeated Evansville Bosse, 45-0.
VS. COMMON FOES: Mater Dei 0-1; Jasper 1-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Mater Dei 8-7. Jasper 3-12.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Jasper, 1-0
LAST MEETING: Jasper, 27-19, Oct. 27, 1995, sectional.
jh PREDICTION: Jasper, 21-14.
Evansville Memorial (1-3) at Evansville Harrison (0-4)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Romain Stadium.
COACHES: John Hurley, 101-58 in 13th year at Memorial. Mo Sutton, 0-4 in 1st year at Harrison.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Memorial, 60.39, 99th overall, 24th in 4A. Harrison, 28.22, 228th overall, 52nd in 4A.
LAST OUTING: Memorial defeated Evansville Mater Dei, 13-10. Harrison lost to Castle, 35-0.
VS. COMMON FOES: Memorial 0-2; Harrison 0-2.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Memorial 13-3. Harrison 12-3.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Memorial, 20-15
LAST MEETING: Memorial, 42-6, Oct. 11, 2019.
jh PREDICTION: Memorial, 31-14.
Evansville North (4-0) at Evansville Bosse (0-3)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Enlow Field.
COACHES: Joey Paridaen, 10-14 in 3rd year at North, 46-47 in 9th year overall. DaMarcus Ganaway, 0-3 in 1st year at Bosse.
SAGARIN RATINGS: North, 72.33, 54th overall, 13th in 5A. Bosse, 21.29, 252nd overall, 52nd in 3A.
LAST OUTING: North defeated Evansville Reitz, 42-14. Bosse lost to Jasper, 45-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: North 5-10. Bosse 9-3.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: North, 23-14
LAST MEETING: North, 34-20, Sep. 27, 2019.
jh PREDICTION: North, 42-10.
Vincennes Lincoln (1-3) at Castle (2-1)
GAME TIME: 6:30 pm CT, Lidy Field.
COACHES: Levi Salters, 26-13 in 4th year at Vincennes. Doug Hurt, 106-59 in 15th year at Castle.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Castle, 64.15, 82nd overall, 17th in 5A. Vincennes, 43.97, 168th overall, 30th in 3A.
LAST OUTING: Vincennes lost to Evansville Central, 55-7. Castle defeated Evansville Harrison, 35-0.
VS. COMMON FOES: Vincennes 0-1; Castle 1-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Vincennes 7-8. Castle 5-7.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: Castle, 24-10.

Central 

Memorial 

Jasper, may be a close one 

North 

Castle edges VL

@TigerFan20, I'm not sure why but I agree. Jasper is a solid team, but Mater Dei might keep it close if they can score (only 3 TDs all year).

In other topics, Jasper's schedule is very end-heavy with their least tough opponent after Week 5 (according to the computers), Vincennes, a long-standing rival where records go out the window. On the other side, Memorial was very top heavy.

Also, Jasper and Mater Dei have so much tradition, but when's the last time they played? I know they were in the "old" SIAC, but going back to 1970 I don't see a Jasper-Mater Dei matchup. 

For those of us who haven't purchased @Rudy's books (haven't had time, will ask for some for Christmas this year). Where was Rex Mundi located in Evansville and what school(s) did it dissolve into and why?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

@TigerFan20, I'm not sure why but I agree. Jasper is a solid team, but Mater Dei might keep it close if they can score (only 3 TDs all year).

In other topics, Jasper's schedule is very end-heavy with their least tough opponent after Week 5 (according to the computers), Vincennes, a long-standing rival where records go out the window.

Also, Jasper and Mater Dei have so much tradition, but when's the last time they played? I know they were in the "old" SIAC, but going back to 1970 I don't see a Jasper-Mater Dei matchup. 

For those of us who haven't purchased @Rudy's books (haven't had time, will ask for some for Christmas this year). Where was Rex Mundi located in Evansville and what school(s) did it dissolve into and why?

Rex Mundi was the North Side Catholic school.  (Memorial = Eastside, MD = Westside)

it was on first ave and I believe it is now still the Ivy Tech building.  

I have heard that there was not the enrollment to keep it. (My dad graduated from MD around the time it closed)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

In other topics, Jasper's schedule is very end-heavy with their least tough opponent after Week 5 (according to the computers), Vincennes, a long-standing rival where records go out the window. On the other side, Memorial was very top heavy.

Jasper and Mater Dei last played in the sectional in 1995. Jasper won 27-19.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sr1 said:

Jasper and Mater Dei last played in the sectional in 1995. Jasper won 27-19.

Very good Jasper team (pure Brewer ball, double-tight, I form, flanker and Power I) that went on to beat HH in the sectional final in a nail biter and then on to state and were runners-up to SB St. Joseph's. I forgot Mater Dei was in 3A during part of the 1990s.

59 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Very good Jasper team (pure Brewer ball, double-tight, I form, flanker and Power I) that went on to beat HH in the sectional final in a nail biter and then on to state and were runners-up to SB St. Joseph's. I forgot Mater Dei was in 3A during part of the 1990s.

More odd trivia- Memorial played Mater Dei in the first round of sectional 1995 on a Thursday night. The city only had 3 fields then and none were available Friday. 

St. Joe (city) and St. Theresa are former schools that most likely fed into Rex Mundi. 

As the population moves north, the diocese would be wise to add an elementary/K-8 school in Daylight.

6 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Don't get me wrong, but I think Jasper will win the game, but MD could give them a scare defensively 

2 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

The Central-Reitz game should be interesting too with Brickey being the QB for Reitz and their 6'4 receivers. But Central's speed will be dominate that game, the Madison kid is an force to be reckoned with   

In the closed conference with only Bosse and Harrison basement dwellers (Vincennes maybe just adjusting to the constant competition, but still respectable), the SIAC is full of games with real conference implications every week. Reitz. Castle, Memorial and Mater Dei can shake up the standings if something happens like North not clicking in Week 1. Should be an interesting race to watch. Hump Week!

• Like 1

I think Jasper wins by a few scores. I can see it being close against MD, but than again all I see are the scores on who they play and not actually watch the game. From here on out Jasper has the tougher part of their schedule with MD, Central, Castle, North, than rival Lincoln at home. I'm glad we have the tougher part of the schedule at the end of the year with joining SIAC compared to the easier teams when in the Big 8. We play the majority SIAC teams in Sectional anyway.

20 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

More odd trivia- Memorial played Mater Dei in the first round of sectional 1995 on a Thursday night. The city only had 3 fields then and none were available Friday. 

St. Joe (city) and St. Theresa are former schools that most likely fed into Rex Mundi. 

As the population moves north, the diocese would be wise to add an elementary/K-8 school in Daylight.

Pretty sure that Holy Redeemer fed Rex Mundi as well.

Unfortunately I think this is the week we don't have any close games, although Reitz and Mater Dei could keep it close potentially.

VL @ Castle - Knights by 4 scores

North @ Bosse - running clock

Memorial @ Harrison - Tigers by 4 scores

Mater Dei @ Jasper - Wildcats by 3 scores

Central @ Reitz - Bears by 3 scores

I would not want to be Jasper this week.  It was pretty obvious Coach Goebel peeled some paint at halftime Friday night as they came out looking like a different team.  A late redzone fumble killed the comeback.  I'm guessing this will not be a fun week on Harmony Way and MD will be ready to run through a wall Friday night.  I think MD just might win the Wildcat fight.  An MD upset and a tough 3 week stretch on the road could have Jasper at 4-4 going into Wk. 9.  

Call me crazy but I kinda like Lincoln this week.  It's kind of an SIAC gut-check time for them.  Castle played really well in Wk. 1, then didn't look all that good MD in a Wk. 2 kicker battle, and have had a screwy 2 weeks since then.     

Central will beat Reitz with a running clock.  Reitz is the only team I haven't seen on film, so I'm just not sure what to make of them yet.    

Memorial should get the win against Harrison, but it will be a closer game than what some might think. 

North will beat Bosse with a running clock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tango said:

I would not want to be Jasper this week.  It was pretty obvious Coach Goebel peeled some paint at halftime Friday night as they came out looking like a different team.  A late redzone fumble killed the comeback.  I'm guessing this will not be a fun week on Harmony Way and MD will be ready to run through a wall Friday night.  I think MD just might win the Wildcat fight.  An MD upset and a tough 3 week stretch on the road could have Jasper at 4-4 going into Wk. 9.  

Call me crazy but I kinda like Lincoln this week.  It's kind of an SIAC gut-check time for them.  Castle played really well in Wk. 1, then didn't look all that good MD in a Wk. 2 kicker battle, and have had a screwy 2 weeks since then.     

Central will beat Reitz with a running clock.  Reitz is the only team I haven't seen on film, so I'm just not sure what to make of them yet.    

Memorial should get the win against Harrison, but it will be a closer game than what some might think. 

North will beat Bosse with a running clock.

Reitz didn't look too good against North Friday

Central-Reitz Game: I think Central can win this game atleast by 3 or 4 scores with the amount of offensive weapons and defensive weapons. Reitz could possibility stay in the game, but after watching them against North, that might be long shot; Central, 41-17  

Jasper-MD: I got Jasper in this game, but believe it will be an very defensive game. MD's defensive was really good last Friday, but I got the Jasper Wildcats, 24-18 

Memorial-Harrison: I got my Tigers winning this game by 2 scores, since it will be closer than what's expected, Memorial 28-14  

North-Bosse: Nothing much to stay about this one, North 45-0 

Castle-VL: VL keeps it close for most of the game, but Castle narrowly escapes, Castle, 24-20 

Week 5 Picks:

Central over Reitz.  Running clock in the second half.  Bears 48-14

Memorial over Harrison.  This will be close for half.  Memorial make adjustment and cruises in the second half.  Tigers 38-12

North over Bosse.  Running clock in the second half.  Huskies 52-7

Game of the Week:  Castle vs Vincennes.  This will be a low scoring game.  Castle wins 21-14

Upset of the Week:  Mater Dei vs Jasper:  I believe this will be a low scoring game.  MD kicker wins it with a late FG.  MD Wildcats 17-14

From my perceptive at this point of the season it appears there is two front runners, Central and North.  They are the best rounded teams with both an offense and defense.  MD, Memorial, Castle, and VL are all better defensive teams that still has work to do on the Offensive side.  Bosse and Harrison are still works in progress with new coaching staffs.  Reitz is just an average team on both sides of the ball.  

Just realized the gauntlet of a schedule that Jasper will have to finish up their regular season with. They have MD at home this week, then they go on the road to face Central, Castle, and North before ending their season at home against VL. This is their opportunity to prove whether they are a top tier team in the conference or not. I think they will prove it.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, Football Fanatic said:

Unfortunately I think this is the week we don't have any close games, although Reitz and Mater Dei could keep it close potentially.

VL @ Castle - Knights by 4 scores

North @ Bosse - running clock

Memorial @ Harrison - Tigers by 4 scores

Mater Dei @ Jasper - Wildcats by 3 scores

Central @ Reitz - Bears by 3 scores

Wow! Castle by 4 scores. Is that 4 field goals? They're having a hard time finding the end zone, and VL isn't bad against the run. Castle has struggled to throw consistently with their young QB. Castle might wear them down eventually and open it up a little late, but 4 scores is a big margin. I can see a 17-7 or 20-7 type of final, but it could be closer than that.

23 minutes ago, South Paw said:

Wow! Castle by 4 scores. Is that 4 field goals? They're having a hard time finding the end zone, and VL isn't bad against the run. Castle has struggled to throw consistently with their young QB. Castle might wear them down eventually and open it up a little late, but 4 scores is a big margin. I can see a 17-7 or 20-7 type of final, but it could be closer than that.

Very true. I failed to consider Castle's offensive struggles. And I am aware that VL has a solid defense. But I simply considered the long bus ride and the amount of kids that go both ways for them, so I think Castle pulls away in the 2nd half. I could see 17-7 at half and then Castle may add a few scores in the 2nd half.