Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 5

9 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Non related game news: Enlow Field looks completed after the EVSC posted an video on twitter. No idea if there will be a game there this Friday 

Harrell has North scheduled at Bosse this week with no caveat on change of venue as there have been in previous weeks when games have been moved. @tango may know if it's been cleared to re-open by whatever relevant authorities -- building inspectors, EVSC, etc...

26 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Reading 28 athletes 4 coaches from catholic school(s) have been quarantined for contact tracing for next two weeks. I’m assuming MD and Memorial football still playing their games tomorrow night??  

From the Evansville Courier & Press 

Although it did not say which school the cases come from, a school official at North High School did inform the Courier & Press its volleyball match against Memorial scheduled for Thursday was canceled. The Castle High School Athletics Twitter account also posted at noon that its match against Memorial scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 22 was canceled."

So it looks like the Volleyball team is the team with 4 coaches out.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:49 AM, hhpatriot04 said:

@TigerFan20, I'm not sure why but I agree. Jasper is a solid team, but Mater Dei might keep it close if they can score (only 3 TDs all year).

In other topics, Jasper's schedule is very end-heavy with their least tough opponent after Week 5 (according to the computers), Vincennes, a long-standing rival where records go out the window. On the other side, Memorial was very top heavy.

Also, Jasper and Mater Dei have so much tradition, but when's the last time they played? I know they were in the "old" SIAC, but going back to 1970 I don't see a Jasper-Mater Dei matchup. 

For those of us who haven't purchased @Rudy's books (haven't had time, will ask for some for Christmas this year). Where was Rex Mundi located in Evansville and what school(s) did it dissolve into and why?

Thanks for the shout out 🙂

@fenderbender is right, Rex Mundi was the north side Catholic school. My dad graduated from Mater Dei and he said they almost closed Mater Dei instead of Rex. Things would look a lot different had that happened!

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

@fenderbender is right, Rex Mundi was the north side Catholic school. My dad graduated from Mater Dei and he said they almost closed Mater Dei instead of Rex. Things would look a lot different had that happened!

Reitz would have complete run of the West Side and Rex Mundi would pull from North, Central, Bosse (OK shared with Memorial), and Reitz (kind of scary...)

• Like 1

-Central and North dominate as expected...Week 9 will be fantastic when these two square off for the conference 

-Jasper impresses over MD...this looks to be one of the better teams in recent memory down in Dubois County. The Cats pass their first test of the gauntlet second half schedule

-Castle wears down VL...Lincoln getting little to nothing offensively the past two weeks and it has affected their defense which is normally stout. Still...an improvement over last week. This was a 7-7 game at the half. The Alices battled. Castle is a top 4 team in conference 

8 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

-Central and North dominate as expected...Week 9 will be fantastic when these two square off for the conference 

-Jasper impresses over MD...this looks to be one of the better teams in recent memory down in Dubois County. The Cats pass their first test of the gauntlet second half schedule

-Castle wears down VL...Lincoln getting little to nothing offensively the past two weeks and it has affected their defense which is normally stout. Still...an improvement over last week. This was a 7-7 game at the half. The Alices battled. Castle is a top 4 team in conference 

Always enjoyed the match-ups with the Alices during the series they had going a decade ago. It was a loss to SW Indiana football to see the program backslide, but now things seem to be headed in the right direction. Much like Mater Dei in 2A, Vincennes Lincoln could greatly benefit in the 3A tournament by playing in the SIAC if they can maintain depth and avoid injuries. I think the future is bright.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Tonight's Scores  

FINAL

Central over Reitz 57-20(+37)  

Castle over VL, 28-7(+21) 

Jasper over MD, 28-14(+14) 

Memorial over Harrison, 37-7(+30) 

ONGOING 

North Vs Bosse, 48-0 4Q   

Any surprises tonight? 

I still don't know what to think of Castle. When did the Reitz scores occur?

Jasper-Castle definitely seem to be very close. It doesn't help that Jasper has to play at Central, Castle, and North, followed by a home game against long-standing rival Vincennes.

How are the SIAC games scheduled and how often will the schedule change? Obviously, it's tough to know what games will be big 2-4 years out, but you generally have an idea. Memorial had a gauntlet to open the year and Jasper to close the year, as we've said. But is this schedule layout indefinite or subject to change every four years or so?

On 9/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, Rudy said:

I remember that now   My dad had also mentioned that   He also said most of MD would have just gone to Reitz instead of Rex Mundi if they had closed MD  

32 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I remember that now   My dad had also mentioned that   He also said most of MD would have just gone to Reitz instead of Rex Mundi if they had closed MD  

They did correctly predict West Side growth before the North Side. Although, I don't think the West Side will fully develop much beyond USI until I-69 (whatever the state highway used to be called... SR-66 ... finds a way to USI and connects with SR-62. The northern route from I-64 is too out of the way and I realize there isn't much land between where I-69 ends downtown and USI. (This is being said with the assumption that it's still a pain during rush hours to get from the East to West Sides on the Lloyd Expressway. They were working on improvements near US-41 when I last drove it regularly... Yes you can use I-64 to 41 to the bypass to USI, but it's not really optimal.)

That being said the idea of another Catholic private school on the North Side would be interesting not only because of Vanderburgh County growth in the area, but how easy it would be for nearby counties to send students to an "Evansville Catholic North." I guess the deanery has the final say?

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

How are the SIAC games scheduled and how often will the schedule change? Obviously, it's tough to know what games will be big 2-4 years out, but you generally have an idea. Memorial had a gauntlet to open the year and Jasper to close the year, as we've said. But is this schedule layout indefinite or subject to change every four years or so?

I have no knowledge of how the schedule was determined.  I'm guessing things they tried to stick to were rivalry week for week 9, (no change for the old SIAC) and it probably isn't a coincidence that all week 8 and 9 games are between teams in different classes.  I'm guessing none of the coaches want a potential quick turnaround playing the same sectional opponent. 

As a Jasper fan the only meaningful changes I would like to see is Bosse and Memorial split on home/away since they share the same venue so the kids see Enlow each year.  MD/Reitz are already split for Jasper which is ideal.  Also I would break up the home/away sequence a bit.  For Jasper 4 of the first 5 at home then 3 road games in a row.

Regarding front loaded vs back loaded scheduling I don't see a great fix since A: it's hard to anticipate who will be top/bottom dog year in and year out and B: you have to play everybody anyway.  Look at Jasper.   Their end of the year gauntlet means two of the first three games of the year are Memorial and Reitz.  It's a bit odd to say Jasper had a "easy" front end schedule when the last 4 SIAC state championships were from those two teams.  Just shows how hard it is to anticipate which teams will rise and fall.  The only fix for that is to change the schedule annually to account for anticipated rising and falling.  Using the previous year's standings for seeding purposes would probably work best but would have obvious limitiations, The one year fall off of Memorial as an example.

12 hours ago, Alduflux said:

Is the broadcast audio not entertaining enough?

Appreciated the effort but the trio of young men doing the broadcast could use a bit more knowledge about the game of football.  Let's just say that talking about "Jasper has the ball at their 52 yd line" was the least of their worries. 

Congrats to Jasper on a nice victory last night.  

Edited by MDAlum82
spelling
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I still don't know what to think of Castle. When did the Reitz scores occur?

Jasper-Castle definitely seem to be very close. It doesn't help that Jasper has to play at Central, Castle, and North, followed by a home game against long-standing rival Vincennes.

Reitz scored their first TD with 1 minute to go in the 2nd quarter to make the score 37-7. Their 2nd and 3rd TD's in the last two minutes of the 4th quarter.

At least till this point, I feel like this year's Castle team is not being given the credit they deserve. Their only loss came to North, who is being considered a top tier team. They lost by 7 and was ahead for the first 3 quarters. They have given up 24 points through 4 games. They missed the Bosse game, so let's be honest, they should be 5-1. Just my two cents. 

47 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

At least till this point, I feel like this year's Castle team is not being given the credit they deserve. Their only loss came to North, who is being considered a top tier team. They lost by 7 and was ahead for the first 3 quarters. They have given up 24 points through 4 games. They missed the Bosse game, so let's be honest, they should be 5-1. Just my two cents. 

You may be right. We'll find out over the next 3-4 weeks. Castle should beat Reitz. Castle's defense has the edge over Reitz's offense, and Castle's run game should be enough to power past Reitz's defense. Jasper and Central will be good tests. I'd give the Knights a slight edge over Jasper because I think Castle may be able to slow Jasper's run game down. Expect an old-fashioned ground-based slugfest. The 2nd half of that game will tell the tale. Which defense will fold against the run first? MD did have some success running the ball in the 2nd half at Jasper. Castle struggled to slow Central's offense down last year. Central's passing game has dropped a notch, but their running game has improved a notch. It will be interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicvinegar said:

5-1? Did they get a bonus game somewhere along the line? I know you meant 4-1.