Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 5

10 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Appreciated the effort but the trio of young men doing the broadcast could use a bit more knowledge about the game of football.  Let's just say that talking about "Jasper has the ball at their 52 yd line" was the least of their worries. 

Congrats to Jasper on a nice victory last night.  

They did not do bad for student broadcasters. I have endured adults doing much worst. Have you listened to the guys doing the Boonville games? I think every flag thrown against the Boonville offense is a "late flag". I did think it was funny when the Jasper play by play guy pointed out that the Mater Dei QB has to run over to the sideline for every play. He then pointed out that the Jasper QB does not do that because he is smart enough to figure out what to do on his own and just calls his own plays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, sr1 said:

They did not do bad for student broadcasters. I have endured adults doing much worst. Have you listened to the guys doing the Boonville games? I think every flag thrown against the Boonville offense is a "late flag". I did think it was funny when the Jasper play by play guy pointed out that the Mater Dei QB has to run over to the sideline for every play. He then pointed out that the Jasper QB does not do that because he is smart enough to figure out what to do on his own and just calls his own plays.

When I listen to WITZ’s broadcast I always think Walt and the other guy should do Springfield Isotope games on the Simpsons.

1 hour ago, sr1 said:

As someone who throws flags, in many situations I prefer a late flag to an early one. Best advice most young officials need is SLOW DOWN, give your brain a second to understand what your eyes saw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Funny story about radio guys, last year I ended up with a fractured foot in our first game. I sat in the press box the second half. I kept my radio so I could help if they needed for penalty enforcement. The radio guys were sitting to my right and I had my ear piece in my left ear. So any call that happened I would give them the info. I don’t think they ever realized I had an ear piece in and was listening to the crew. I wasn’t even watching the game, I was watching our mechanics. They thought I was the Amazing Carnac when ever there was a flag, I instantly knew what it was. As the game wound down they asked me if I could come with them every week. 

The home town radio guys are homers, it’s high school sports, it is what it is, I’m just thankful they’re out there supporting our sport.

• Like 1

No discussion about Harrison AD Andre Thomas jawboning the officials over the PA at the Memorial@Harrison game?

Never seen that one before.  He even invited them to come up to the booth and say it to his face.

Shortly after, there was nobody on the mic at Romain Stadium for the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

No discussion about Harrison AD Andre Thomas jawboning the officials over the PA at the Memorial@Harrison game?

Never seen that one before.  He even invited them to come up to the booth and say it to his face.

Shortly after, there was nobody on the mic at Romain Stadium for the rest of the game.

Would love to hear the back story on that one. My guess is someone has already heard from the IHSAA.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Would love to hear the back story on that one. My guess is someone has already heard from the IHSAA.

There was a skirmish on the field.  Harrison player threw a punch at a Memorial player while they were tangled up on the ground.  Flag was thrown.

After the Harrison player got up, a different Memorial player intervened and shoved him.  Another flag was thrown.  Harrison player was ejected, Memorial player was not.

Andre Thomas — who is both AD and PA voice for Harrison — took exception to this and started in on the officials over the PA.

Edited by MHSTigerFan

3 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

There was a skirmish on the field.  Harrison player threw a punch at a Memorial player while they were tangled up on the ground.  Flag was thrown.

After the Harrison player got up, a different Memorial player intervened and shoved him.  Another flag was thrown.  Harrison player was ejected, Memorial player was not.

Andre Thomas — who is both AD and PA voice for Harrison — took exception to this and started in on the officials over the PA.

Needless to say, the IHSAA frowns on such things. I would not be surprised to hear some discipline was imposed.

Ironically, I suppose he was the one who read the mandatory IHSAA pregame announcement about sportsmanship and respect for the officials over the PA.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Also worth noting that he's a former football head coach at neighboring Bosse.