Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Big Ten may play afterall

itiswhatitis

ESPN is reporting that the conference presidents are meeting today to hear the latest medical info towards playing football.  There may or may not be another vote today to have a season.  The proposal is to start the season mid to late October.  Looks like all of that pressure from coaches, parents, players, and fans have made an impact.  Keeping fingers crossed.

I'll be curious to see how this turns out. From what I've heard the presidents are still very much opposed to having a season so the threshold to convince them to change their mind has to be very high. One approach they could make though is to start the season in October and change course if the other conferences do start to have issues with spread attributed to football.

28 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I'll be curious to see how this turns out. From what I've heard the presidents are still very much opposed to having a season so the threshold to convince them to change their mind has to be very high. One approach they could make though is to start the season in October and change course if the other conferences do start to have issues with spread attributed to football.

As I understand it, the vote last time wasn't unanimous.  So I have a feeling if a few minds get changed, the rest will follow.  Just a hunch.

3 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

As I understand it, the vote last time wasn't unanimous.  So I have a feeling if a few minds get changed, the rest will follow.  Just a hunch.

Not unanimous but like 12-2. I was also told the presidents of 2 universities are physicians who will not be swayed. I did not verify that, but if true it could be a factor. Presidents look at athletics sometimes very differently than other administrators. We'll see how it goes. I don't know how far the vote has to go the other way to reverse this. If it's 7-5 or 8-4 is that enough to have a season?

22 hours ago, JustRules said:

Not unanimous but like 12-2. I was also told the presidents of 2 universities are physicians who will not be swayed. I did not verify that, but if true it could be a factor. Presidents look at athletics sometimes very differently than other administrators. We'll see how it goes. I don't know how far the vote has to go the other way to reverse this. If it's 7-5 or 8-4 is that enough to have a season?.

Saw this morning that no vote was taken yesterday and it still a "wait and see" approach.  Wish they'd make a dang decision!  I don't see how the NCAA can have a championship playoff at the end of the year and leave some conferences out of it.  As long as the vote isn't 7 - 7.  One more vote, one way or the other decides.  Like 8 - 6 and they will have a season or 6 - 8 they will not have a season.

35 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Saw this morning that no vote was taken yesterday and it still a "wait and see" approach.  Wish they'd make a dang decision!  I don't see how the NCAA can have a championship playoff at the end of the year and leave some conferences out of it.  As long as the vote isn't 7 - 7.  One more vote, one way or the other decides.  Like 8 - 6 and they will have a season or 6 - 8 they will not have a season.

The College Football Championship is not an NCAA event. The NCAA has no say in who gets to play for the championship.

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The College Football Championship is not an NCAA event. The NCAA has no say in who gets to play for the championship.

Yep, many people don't realize this or that every single Division 1/FBS claimed National Title is just mythical in the eyes of the NCAA. The NCAA even recognizes UCF's claim as National Champion in 2017.

Decision on Big Ten football coming tonight? Nebraska president reveals news on hot mic

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2020/09/15/big-ten-football-2020-season-decision-come-tonight-per-nebraska-president-hot-mic/5805362002/

Word on whether the currently postponed Big Ten football season might soon resume could come as soon as tonight, with confirmation coming from the most 2020 of places. 

Nebraska President Ted Carter appeared to confirm news on whether the Big Ten will restart football will come Tuesday, after Carter was caught discussing the subject near a hot microphone. 

"We're getting ready to announce the Huskers and Big Ten football tonight", said Carter in a conversation with Bob Hinson, director of the National Strategic Research Institute, according to Omaha television station KETV-7, which had footage of the hot mic incident on its website. 

Carter later clarified his comments on a second Omaha station, KLKN-TV, suggesting they were taken out of context. 

“I think that was picked up a little out of context,” Carter told KLKN reporter Yousef Nasser. “All I said was that there’s work going on and I remain cautiously optimistic, like everybody else, that we’ll get to discovering when it’s safe to play.”

The conference has reportedly heard in recent days from medical experts on the subject of whether to resume competition, after suspending all fall sports in mid-August due to COVID-19-related concerns. 

What form a restarted season would take, so deep into the traditional fall sports calendar, remains as unclear as whether the league plans to restart at all. But with the ACC and Big 12 seasons now underway, and the SEC to follow suit shortly, the Big Ten has a template for how to make football, at least, viable in the current public health climate. 

That’s not to say there wouldn’t be challenges. Multiple Big Ten schools are currently grappling with campus-wide COVID-19 issues related to the return of students for the fall semester. Numerous campuses are dealing with issues ranging from high positivity rates, to enforced shutdowns, and even total campus quarantines. 

Nevertheless, it appears possible the Big Ten’s path toward football could take a public twist today.

11 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

So who runs it?  And my question still stands no matter who is in charge of it.

A group of universities and conferences that formed the CFP organization. They are all members of NCAA, but this organization is separate. The NCAA as an organization makes nothing from the college football playoff. Some of their members do though.

22 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

So who runs it?  And my question still stands no matter who is in charge of it.

You can certainly question the legitimacy of calling the winner of the CFP the “national champion.” But it’s an event, designed to make money. So, they’ll do it, and they’ll call it whatever they want.

Big Ten to start 2020 football season in October

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/09/16/reports-big-ten-start-2020-football-season-october/3474238001/

he Big Ten is back in business. 

Or, at least the conference will attempt to start its 2020 football season in October, according to a press release issued by the conference on Wednesday morning. 

The Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors voted unanimously to resume the season after adopting significant medical protocols including daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice and competition. 

The Big Ten will require student-athletes, coaches, trainers and other individuals that are on the field for all practices and games to undergo daily antigen testing. Test results must be completed and recorded prior to each practice or game.

Student-athletes who test positive for the coronavirus through point of contact (POC) daily testing would require a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to confirm the result of the POC test.

The COP/C reversed a decision the group made on Aug. 11 – by an 11-3 vote - to postpone the league’s fall sports season, including football, over fears of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and keeping athletes safe.

Games are scheduled to begin the weekend of Oct. 23-24. The conference is looking at an eight-game schedule – with no open weeks - and hold the league’s championship game on Dec. 19. That allows enough time for a Big Ten team to possibly qualify for the College Football Playoff.

There is money to be made boys!

On 9/13/2020 at 7:40 AM, itiswhatitis said:

ESPN is reporting that the conference presidents are meeting today to hear the latest medical info towards playing football.  There may or may not be another vote today to have a season.  The proposal is to start the season mid to late October.  Looks like all of that pressure from coaches, parents, players, and fans have made an impact.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Looks like it’s back!  I’m happy for this, but given my doom and gloom outlook on things, I just hope it lasts...

Looks like Nebraska got shafted by the B10 schedule makers, probably due to their somewhat outspoken criticism of the conference when it cancelled the season the first time around.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/09/21/new-big-ten-football-schedule-winners-and-losers/5849463002/

Here's three of Nebraska's first four games - at Ohio State and home against Wisconsin and Penn State. The fourth game is a road matchup at Northwestern. Coincidence? The Huskers could've played Rutgers. Nebraska is playing five teams ranked in the AP Preseason Top 25. "I wasn't toasting Champagne," athletic director Bill Moos told the Omaha World-Herald after the schedule release.