Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How did Central and North Supplant Reitz and Castle?

Guest DT

1 hour ago, Stickfish said:

Name one in the last four years who relocated or dedicated to another sport?  Of the 21s and 22s that I know of that have moved it was  to play in another program.  Currently there are future/committed D1 baseball, football, soccer and lacrosse players all on the roster.

2021 WR Herrmann dropped football to focus on baseball. I believe he has plans to play baseball at UE.

9 hours ago, tango said:

I don't know about LC or CP, but Castle has a very competitive athletic program overall.    

Yes, if you will it's the Carmel or Center Grove of the Evansville area. As I understand it, Evansville North's demographics are slowly shifting that way too. They have been very competitive in some minor sports like girls golf, but not sports like wrestling or swimming where Castle is rich in history at the state level (especially at the individual level). Coaches in those sports can make all the difference and Castle has been fortunate in wrestling (benefiting their FB program), similar to CG and Coach Moore with track.

16 hours ago, South Paw said:

Class of 21 from Castle South went undefeated both years of middle school. They were only challenged in one game their 7th grade year. In 8th grade, they were a highlight reel and were never challenged.  Their freshman year after joining the middle schools together, some suspect personnel decisions and brutal coaching resulted in them losing two games. Some of the best kids from that group are no longer at Castle or no longer play football.

The Class of 21 from Castle South lost two games as freshman after going undefeated like you said. One fact you left out is that the two teams they lost to as freshmen were Central and Mater Dei. They did not play those two teams when they were in 7th or 8th grade.  Maybe the two games they lost were the result of playing Central and Mater Dei instead of Washington and Princeton?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sr1 said:

The Class of 21 from Castle South lost two games as freshman after going undefeated like you said. One fact you left out is that the two teams they lost to as freshmen were Central and Mater Dei. They did not play those two teams when they were in 7th or 8th grade.  Maybe the two games they lost were the result of playing Central and Mater Dei instead of Washington and Princeton?

Possibly. Don't forget in addition to Princeton and Washington, they also played Jasper twice, Memorial twice and Ev. North once and Castle North twice. Combined score of those 7 games was 260-38 and in most of those Castle South stopped passing and had reserves in after halftime. The numbers could have been much worse. Castle and Central were definitely the cream of the crop in the area talent wise that year. That game was expected to be a battle. Taking nothing away from MD, as they obviously played well enough to win, but Castle should never have lost that game. Castle was definitely deeper and had superior overall talent pound for pound. Mater Dei out-prepared, out-coached, and out-executed Castle. A few changes here and there and the outcome may have been much different, maybe in both games for that matter. The following year Castle's JV, without some of the sophomores that were now playing varsity, were up 21-0 or 21-7 against MD at the half until coaching went conservative and allowed MD back in the game late. It doesn't really matter now and we'll never know. 

1 hour ago, South Paw said:

Possibly. Don't forget in addition to Princeton and Washington, they also played Jasper twice, Memorial twice and Ev. North once and Castle North twice. Combined score of those 7 games was 260-38 and in most of those Castle South stopped passing and had reserves in after halftime. The numbers could have been much worse. Castle and Central were definitely the cream of the crop in the area talent wise that year. That game was expected to be a battle. Taking nothing away from MD, as they obviously played well enough to win, but Castle should never have lost that game. Castle was definitely deeper and had superior overall talent pound for pound. Mater Dei out-prepared, out-coached, and out-executed Castle. A few changes here and there and the outcome may have been much different, maybe in both games for that matter. The following year Castle's JV, without some of the sophomores that were now playing varsity, were up 21-0 or 21-7 against MD at the half until coaching went conservative and allowed MD back in the game late. It doesn't really matter now and we'll never know. 

Saying Castle's freshman should have never lost that game last year against MD is crazy. Castle never had the lead and was down 3 scores late in the game until a late barrage brought them back within one touchdown. MD also played that entire freshman season without the now varsity sophomore quarterback as he played JV all year. MD also played Jasper's freshman last year. I don't remember the score, but I do remember it wasn't close. And as far as JV this year, MD has quite a few sophomores playing varsity as well. Not saying MD would have won with them but to make the comment that Castle was missing sophomores like MD wasn't is just wrong. 

• Like 1

@South Paw.  Not sure what I did there but...  Are you saying the current Castle seniors played Memorial twice as freshman?  If so, that can't be right because we did not field a frosh team in 2017.   All freshman played JV that year.  If you are saying they played them twice in middle school (and kicked the crap out of them), then I'll buy that because the current Memorial seniors have been low on numbers and didn't win any games in 7th grade and maybe 2 in 8th grade.  I was there in their 7th grade year and it was brutal.     

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Saying Castle's freshman should have never lost that game last year against MD is crazy. Castle never had the lead and was down 3 scores late in the game until a late barrage brought them back within one touchdown. MD also played that entire freshman season without the now varsity sophomore quarterback as he played JV all year. MD also played Jasper's freshman last year. I don't remember the score, but I do remember it wasn't close. And as far as JV this year, MD has quite a few sophomores playing varsity as well. Not saying MD would have won with them but to make the comment that Castle was missing sophomores like MD wasn't is just wrong. 

he was saying Castle's class of '21 when they were freshman, not last year's freshman game.  MD was putting a beat down on Castle until a late barrage, like you said, and MD held on to win.  MD freshman beat Jasper something like 45-13 last year. 

43 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

The JV game that I was talking about was two year's ago, not last year. MD's now varsity QB was still in middle school then. The 2021 kids are seniors now. The late barrage in the freshman game came when Castle switched QB's to the kid that was the QB at Castle South that for some reason didn't start that year except for the last game of the year. In that game, Castle beat North by 30 something. Same at the JV level. I think he started the last 4 or 5 games games at JV the next year and the offense improved when he took over. They played Central, Mater Dei, North, and Memorial, so it wasn't against the lesser teams. In the MD game his sophomore year he had like three passing TDs in the first half. I heard that Castle was undefeated in all of his starts from middle school to JV, but he never got the shot at varsity even as Castle struggled with consistent QB play. He left the team his junior year. He was not the only kid to leave the program over the past several years.

35 minutes ago, tango said:

@South Paw.  Not sure what I did there but...  Are you saying the current Castle seniors played Memorial twice as freshman?  If so, that can't be right because we did not field a frosh team in 2017.   All freshman played JV that year.  If you are saying they played them twice in middle school (and kicked the crap out of them), then I'll buy that because the current Memorial seniors have been low on numbers and didn't win any games in 7th grade and maybe 2 in 8th grade.  I was there in their 7th grade year and it was brutal.     

No, I was talking about middle school. Castle South played Memorial in both 7th and 8th grade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Paw said:

The JV game that I was talking about was two year's ago, not last year. MD's now varsity QB was still in middle school then. The 2021 kids are seniors now. The late barrage in the freshman game came when Castle switched QB's to the kid that was the QB at Castle South that for some reason didn't start that year except for the last game of the year. In that game, Castle beat North by 30 something. Same at the JV level. I think he started the last 4 or 5 games games at JV the next year and the offense improved when he took over. They played Central, Mater Dei, North, and Memorial, so it wasn't against the lesser teams. In the MD game his sophomore year he had like three passing TDs in the first half. I heard that Castle was undefeated in all of his starts from middle school to JV, but he never got the shot at varsity even as Castle struggled with consistent QB play. He left the team his junior year. He was not the only kid to leave the program over the past several years.

Just to make sure there's not more confusion, the freshman game I'm talking about was 3 years ago. MD was up late like 28-14. Castle's starting QB had thrown 3 INTs, and they finally changed QBs. Castle scored quickly on the next series, but ran out of time. I think the final was 28-21. MD may have relaxed on defense with the lead and allowed Castle back in the game, idk. Again, I'm not knocking MD. I love the way they play. I wish Castle could do the same. I'm just saying on paper that night MD was outmanned and Castle underperformed. Hats off to MD.